IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Military Organization, Equipment, etc., Equipment, Organization of SR Military's
capt20
post Nov 11 2003, 09:59 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,811

I've had a couple questions about various militarys in the Shadowrun world. The UCAS is my primary concern, though information on the Tir Tariengire, CAS, and CFS would be appreciated. I'm looking for the following information:

Equipment:
Sidearms
Assault Rifles
Sub-Machine Guns
Shotguns

Organization:
Ranking System (Paygrades)
Structure of Services
Services
Structure of Regiments, Ships, etc.
Uniform Descriptions

This is my first post here, and I hope I can get information here that I haven't been able to get elsewhere. Thanks!

-capt20
"Lieutenant Rheiv Jyden" SR: Seattle MUSH
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 11 2003, 12:58 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I haven't got CC, SOTA63, SoNA, or older books like Fields of Fire or in fact anything that would have info about the things you asked about. So I'm just gonna talk out of my ass and make stupid assumptions and totally uninformed guesses. Enjoy.

UCAS:
Assault Rifles:
Colt M22A2. I'm pretty sure that's canon. Probably shouldn't give them ALL GLs though, and SL+Goggles would probably be a good idea (if not too expensive). CAS probably uses M22A2s as well. Maybe even CFS (unless they've got some weird japanese toy weapons).
Sidearms:
Ares Predator? That and Beretta 101T & Colt L36 are the most likely candidates for any North American army, or maybe even Colt Manhunter (the Laser Sight on it doesn't fit the job very well, however).
SMGs:
HK227 or MP-5 TX. Probably HK227. But SMGs aren't very likely to be widely used by armies anyway (because pistol rounds will most likely be too weak to penetrate any type of body armor -- this trend can already be seen in the way US SOF are using more and more of M4s and M177s instead of MP5s), and the few that will be used are probably for special forces, which will generally use whatever they find best. Not very likely that there's a canon answer to this.
Shotguns:
Remington 990? Simply because (AFAIK) Remingtons are common in military use IRL. Or maybe Mossberg CMDT, it has that "military feel" to it. Again, not a very common weapon, and not very likely to be referred to in canon.

Ranking System:
Take the current system, perhaps slap on some mage ranks. I'm pretty sure you won't find an answer to this in canon.

I won't even try to guess what would happen to the structure of services, units or uniform descriptions, although the last one you might find in some sourcebook or novel. Maybe.

There has been tons of discussion about what kind of weapons armies would "really" be employing in the SR world, but since I can't recall how to search the old forums I'll have to let someone else link them to you. If you're at all interested in that kind of stuff, that is.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 11 2003, 01:59 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Hasn't someone compiled a military list for SR yet? It sounds like a project someone would have done by now.

-Siege

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Nov 11 2003, 02:13 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 5,729

http://www.geocities.com/flanker562/

Eric Johnson and James Meiers had this site running full-bore a couple years ago, but it's sorta died out since then. I had written up a history of ConsOps for them, but I don't see it on the site anymore.

I have plenty of data on SR military (at least in my gaming world) that I would be happy to send out to anyone who wants it.

Also, if anyone out there is thinking about getting a Shadowrun Miliatry resource up and running, I'd be more than happy to be a contributor.

If you want any of the info I've compiled, send me an e-mail @ clouviere@approsystems.com or AIM me @ TheOneRonin.

+Quote Post
easytohate
post Nov 11 2003, 04:00 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 5,767

I would figure mage to fall under a special officer status. Kind of like Chaplains and Doctors.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Nov 11 2003, 04:06 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

My guess is that mages would be Warrant Officers. They would in the UCAS Army anyway.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Nov 11 2003, 04:20 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Well, Doctors and Chaplains are mostly non-combat, and I guess a lot of mages would be too. But there would be some combat mages and I think they would have officer rank. I figure the amount of training needed to produce a mage wolud bump them up.

For a crude outline of command structure, check out SOTA:2063 pg. 61

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Nov 11 2003, 04:25 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Oh, I forgot, in our games only special forces get real cyberware. They have to sign a release when they join Special Forces (in UCAS) as well as becoming a fighter pilot (included fets, t-birds, and choppers but not non-combat aircraft).

So, for us, most tank drivers ane not riggers, but t-bird pilots are.

+Quote Post
Hero
post Nov 11 2003, 05:05 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

Ammunition for some submachine guns are going toward the cut down rifle cartridge now, here us are some good examples: MP7, H&K 227, and P90. These three submachine guns have very good penetration out to 200m, but because of they are designed to be more effective against armor they lack some stopping power. I am sure there will be more submachine guns that will be chambered to these types of ammunition in the future, considering how prolific armor is with armed criminals <read Shadowrunner>.

Todays BDUs and helmets are being designed so that they can protect against chemical weapons to a degree and are able to seal up decently from what I hear. I can see standard issue BDUs in SR being very chemical resistant, and be able to be sealed with special issue filter masks and other breathing apparatuses. The BDUs would also be made of ballistic cloth <duh> because of how much more efficient it is in the SR world.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Nov 11 2003, 05:32 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Hero, the HK 227 is not a real weapon, it's a total SR convention. The MP7 and P90 are, however. But I see more of a move to shrinking down the size of assault rifles for CQB work...stuff like the HK G36C and the M-4 carbine are far better suited for CQB when the tangos have body armor. And the G36C (with the stock folded) is smaller than an MP5.

5.56 cartridges are very managable in small-frame assault rifles, and perform better ballistically than the 5.7 (P90) or 5.6 (MP7) rounds.

Raygun probably has a lot more detail he can add to this.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 11 2003, 05:48 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Oh yes, the P90/MP7 line of discussion has been done before. (And BTW, the caliber of the MP7 is actually 4.6, though that might have been a typo from you TheOneRonin.) I think the consensus is that they are too lacking in terminal ballistics to be extensively used by militaries. Maybe for vehicle crews or in other special situations where you need a very compact weapon.

I think Hero was confused by the HK227 found on Raygun's site, which is Raygun's remake of the canon SR HK227.
Again, being able to search the Old Forums would be a blessing...

+Quote Post
Hero
post Nov 11 2003, 05:52 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,996

Ooops.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Nov 11 2003, 06:00 PM
Post #13

Running Target

I wish I could call it a typo. Rather I was typing too qucikly and not fact checking. Yes, 4.6mm is correct. I was wrong.

<hangs head in shame> :(

+Quote Post
capt20
post Nov 11 2003, 07:06 PM
Post #14

Target

*laughs* Man, started this so I could figure out what pistol to customize in the game. I always thought it might be the Browning MP or UP myself, that the ucas would use. As far as Magic goes, It be a separate MOS, mabye even in the 11 Group in the UCAS Army. I'm sure it would be a different rating in the Marine Corps, though the nature of magic would probably be taken into account. Combat mages might be infantry or Specialized Gunner's Mates. Healing Mages may be a different kinda a corpsman.

http://lists.dumpshock.com/pipermail/shado...113/039909.html

This site gives a pretty concise argument that the SMG the service might use would be the Colt Cobra. But it didn't answer a lot of my questions. With equipment, I'm looking for model numbers. :) Keep this going though. Bringing up topics I didn't think of.

I've always assumed the UCAS Army be the U.S. Army with two extra letters. If anyone has anything different, I would like to hear it. Also, info on how deckers fall into the service would be appreciated. I've been under the impression, again, that they would be separated into separate MOS's depending on the level of hostility needed.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 11 2003, 07:15 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

[Edit]OOPS! So it seems it is canon that the UCAS Army service SMG is the Colt Cobra. Well, that has got to suck. No more H&Ks. Urgh. Well, Not In My Game.[/Edit]

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Nov 11 2003, 07:20 PM

+Quote Post
easytohate
post Nov 11 2003, 07:20 PM
Post #16

Target

UCAS Air Force new MOS's for specialized Troops

Officers
Shamans of any type, with own MOS links to combat support squadrons.
Mages of any type, linked to combat support squadrons.
-Magical countermeasures
-Magical intelligence/counterintelligence
-Magical Troop support
Riggers operating Air Support (I would think all pilots would be Riggers)
Cybernetic infantry commanders
Drone Battle Commanders
Corp liasions (work under the IG to deal with the laws regarding Corps)

Enlisted
Deckers falling under old crpytography/signals intelligence MOS in com squadrons.
Rigger's operating ground support (commanders would be officers)
Cybernetic infantry
Drone battle support

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Nov 11 2003, 07:29 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Well, as for pistols, I doubt UCAS grunts would carry sidearms. No real need. MPs, some Officers, REMFs, and SOCOM units would be issued sidearms, however. Probably something along the lines of the Colt ManHunter (hello, updated 1911 for ya), or maybe a Predator 3 for the SOCOM boys.

I think the Army would have a whole separate Thaumaturgical Corps, and would assign detachments as nesessary. Warrant officers seems just about right, with the college-educated ones being full-blown officers, natch. Your Speical Operations type units might have permanent mage slots, however, and would most likely not be considered a part of the Thaumaturgical Corps.

As for SMGs...until recently, only your Special Ops types and some Pilots really ever handled them. And now, with the proliferation of body armor, even your SpecOps units are moving to carbines. Pistol rounds just don't cut it. The only time I think we will really see them in SR is in hostage type situations when you need rounds that will not overpenetrate (9mm, .40 S&W, .45ACP).

As for Deckers, I'd put them under Army Intel with a specialization in information systems/warfare. In all honesty, the Chair Force would probably have better deckers, but that's just my opinion. And again, I think your SpecOps communication NCOs would probably well versed in decking.

+Quote Post
capt20
post Nov 11 2003, 08:45 PM
Post #18

Target

Alright, so all the mage and decker stuff is well and good. Glad to see someone thinks along the lines of "Informations Systems Warfare." Pistols would still be used by the military, I would think, if nothing else, then to do what pistols were always supposed to do. Be used by personnel that, for some logistical or other purpose, weren't in a position to carry a rifle or carbine. Police, Officers, NCOs, etc. PDWs would probably be used by REMF's, as well as tank drivers and the like, but I would think they would all be trained, and have some sort of firearm holstered at there thigh. Thinking the Colt Manhunter may be the best way to go, but its new. You have to think when the last contract was put up. What was the best weapon to go with. The Predator may have been two large for the military's tastes for a pistol, except for the SOGs. Thats my reasoning for the Browning MP. Good heavy pistol, small enough to be carried without much trouble. And best of all, cheap. :D

+Quote Post
Seville
post Nov 11 2003, 08:49 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 5,737

QUOTE (Pthgar)
Oh, I forgot, in our games only special forces get real cyberware. They have to sign a release when they join Special Forces (in UCAS) as well as becoming a fighter pilot (included fets, t-birds, and choppers but not non-combat aircraft).

What, no love for the heavy drivers?

I would actually think that the only planes that have pilots on them in sixty years are the ones that carry people and cargo, because people feel safer with a flesh and blood pilot, who's little pink body will likely hit the ground an instant before their own does should anything go wrong. Fighter Planes will most likely be drones, except for close air support.

+Quote Post
TheOneRonin
post Nov 11 2003, 09:17 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (capt20)
Alright, so all the mage and decker stuff is well and good. Glad to see someone thinks along the lines of "Informations Systems Warfare." Pistols would still be used by the military, I would think, if nothing else, then to do what pistols were always supposed to do. Be used by personnel that, for some logistical or other purpose, weren't in a position to carry a rifle or carbine. Police, Officers, NCOs, etc. PDWs would probably be used by REMF's, as well as tank drivers and the like, but I would think they would all be trained, and have some sort of firearm holstered at there thigh. Thinking the Colt Manhunter may be the best way to go, but its new. You have to think when the last contract was put up. What was the best weapon to go with. The Predator may have been two large for the military's tastes for a pistol, except for the SOGs. Thats my reasoning for the Browning MP. Good heavy pistol, small enough to be carried without much trouble. And best of all, cheap. :D

Yeah...if I recall, the Air Force already has an Information Warfare squadron/wing/whatever. I tend to think that they would remain supreme in that regard.

Couple of questions about your comments on pistols, though. First off...the Colt Manhunter is new? According to the Street Samurai Guide, it's been out quite a while...10 years at least by 2062. Unless of course you are thinking of the Ruger Thunderbolt. That's the burstfire weapon carried by Lonestar. Nahh, I don't think they would carry that one.

As for the Predator being too big, well, I agree with you if you base it off the illustrations. However, if you base it off concealability, the Manhunter and original Predator are both roughly the same size (conceal 5), with the Predator 2 and 3 being larger (conceal 4). But if you go by the illustrations, it's the exact opposite. But yet, something the size of Robocop's Auto-9 (inspiration for the Predator) is too big to be practical for the military, even for SOCOM guys, who complained a LOT about the HK Socom pistol. I've held one at a gun store, and it is a behemoth...just a bit smaller than a .50 Desert Eagle, even though it only fires a .45ACP round.

I see the Manhunter as a sort of evolution of the 1911, and maybe more akin to the Kimber Custom pistols today. The one guy I know in SF SWEARS by his Kimber.

You make a really good point about the browning. I think that "small, easy to handle, and cheap" was the reasoning behind the adoption of the Beretta 92 as the sidearm of choice <blah>. All the more reason for the high-end operators to carry something else. :D

+Quote Post
capt20
post Nov 11 2003, 10:25 PM
Post #21

Target

Yeah...if I recall, the Air Force already has an Information Warfare squadron/wing/whatever. I tend to think that they would remain supreme in that regard.

Where did you get this info? From a book, FASA? I think I might be able to find some more info at that source.
First off...the Colt Manhunter is new? According to the Street Samurai Guide, it's been out quite a while...10 years at least by 2062....

My mistake. Personally, I've always seen the manhunter as some big chromed job, not a sleek black military grade pistol. Then again, I could be wrong. Pictures of these weapons seem to exist nowhere. I've looked. If anyone has a spot where there are pictures, I would love to hear about it. And of course, all that other information I asked for. My main focus is on a pistol because I'm planning on giving my char a customized version of what ever the UCAS Military is using. Manily looking for reliable cannon sites and/or book pages or info, but disscussion is encouraged and well-appriciated. :D

+Quote Post
Nath
post Nov 11 2003, 10:37 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (capt20 @ Nov 12 2003, 12:25 AM)
QUOTE (TheOneRonin)

Where did you get this info? From a book, FASA? I think I might be able to find some more info at that source.

From what I know IRL, the USAF main branch in this domain is Air Force Information Warfare Center in Kelly AFB (TX) which count around 1000 people and fall directly under the umbrella of the Air Intelligence Agency. However the deckers that patrol the USAF's grid (to speak in SR terms) are of the 609th Information Warfare Squadron of Show AFB (South Carolina). I guess the Army, the Navy and the USMC may have their own structures as well.

+Quote Post
6thDragon
post Nov 11 2003, 10:54 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,605

there was a SR novel dealing with the military. I don't remember the name because I read it so long ago. In it mages were regular officers; captains, majors and such. I don't think they were usually attached to anything less then a battalion for a regular line (leg) unit. However SF groups would most likely have them at Company level. As for guns I don't think shotguns, SMGs, or pistols would be common for anything less then SF or other specialized roles (MP, VIP guard details, MI). IF I can remember the name of the book I'll post it.

+Quote Post
easytohate
post Nov 11 2003, 10:57 PM
Post #24

Target

Intel and counter intel done in a combat area's is almost always joint nowdays. As we move forward to the DOD vision of joint 20/20 more and more of the system operations will be joint. By the time the military reaches 2060 I would say it would be more of a factor of finding "the best man for the job" instead of "the best branch for the job".

And the Navy is on par with the Air Force when it comes to signals intel by today's standards, but the Air Force does control all of the Satalites.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Nov 11 2003, 11:16 PM
Post #25

King of the Hobos

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 127

Well from Big City and Brainscan army grunts have been written as wearing Armoured Jackets 5/3, Colt M22A2's as their weapon and goggles for low light, flare compensation and smartlink IIRC. No cyberware for the enlisted since it just wouldn't be cost-effective. Bug City also had the officers having the Beretta 101T as their personal sidearm. Oh and Canon Companion mentions that the UCAS military also uses Stoner-Ares M107 heavy machine gun. That's the most I can think of off the top of my head.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 12:24 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.