IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is loading S&S in a light pistol exploity?
Dancer
post Jun 20 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,659

Stick and Shock rounds do the same damage no matter what you fire them from. This means that a light or holdout pistol does far more damage with S&S rounds than with any other round type (even against nonconductive 6 it's slightly better than ex-ex), with the added advantages of nonlethality and tetanising people. In your opinion is loading your backup weapon with S&S rounds a twinky decision to be frowned on, or a logical in-character choice?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ironfish
post Jun 20 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 8,423

Honestly? Even as a GM, They seems like a logical sensible choice. A bit expensive, sure, but well worth it. I was somewhat disappointed that none of my players noticed them. I think when I get the game going again, the Cops are going to carry the stuff. Might get the team thinking.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jun 20 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

S&S is just one of those things where I just wonder what they were thinking.

Actually some people here might know that.

Anyway you always hear people talking about machine pistols with S&S. Occasionally in regards to getting around spirit immunities.

Still, in game I guess we must assume that the "shock" part of the bullet is smaller than a .22 and the rest is just the bulk that lets it travel further. So sure, load it up.

It does have the disadvantage that it can't punch through obstructions.

Personally though I set the gametime a little earlier so it's back in the narcoject days.

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Jun 20 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (sunnyside)

The description as-written seems really stupid for anything smaller than a shotgun round to me, so in my mind they're essentially the same as the capacitor darts fired by a Pulsar only propelled by cordite rather than gas.

+Quote Post
Arz
post Jun 20 2007, 02:59 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,751

IT's just the same as having your gun freaks carrying a gun loaded with ap, frag, ex, and rub. That's four guns to get noticed but hey, you've got it all covered if you bling-bling some grenades as fashionable accessories.

Seriously this is why different groups might have the armor add-ons to pretty well stop these from working. Anyone that carries a stun weapon probably has beefy protection from it. Accidents happen, and the police especially cover themselves from being taken down by their own weapons

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jun 20 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #6

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Also its not nearly so bad once you rule that -1/2 AP doesn't affect Immunity to Normal Weapons and that mundane elemental attacks count as 'mundane'.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 20 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #7

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Dancer)
QUOTE (sunnyside @ Jun 20 2007, 02:50 PM)

The description as-written seems really stupid for anything smaller than a shotgun round to me, so in my mind they're essentially the same as the capacitor darts fired by a Pulsar only propelled by cordite rather than gas.

I use a house-rule that S&S is only available for shotguns.
It still gets used, but doesn't make tasers and all other ammo types useless.

+Quote Post
Matsu Kurisu
post Jun 20 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 9,334

We have removed Stick n Shock from the game via house rule.
Its TOOO unbalancing and removes the point of having tasers etc

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Jun 20 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

You all do know they nerfed the damage down to 4S(e) in errata?

And S&S doesn't use half AP it uses half impact armor. if a creatures armor isn't described has having impact armor. Simply armor. No effect.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jun 20 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

I rule that taser weapons do not deal extra damage for achieving net hits and are a "touch weapon". That really takes them out of the hands of experienced gun bunnies and puts them into the hands of grandmothers and beat cops where they belong.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 20 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #11

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Jack Kain)

I was not aware of that. Is there an errata past 1.5?

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jun 20 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Jack Kain)

And S&S doesn't use half AP it uses half impact armor. if a creatures armor isn't described has having impact armor. Simply armor. No effect.

I'm not so sure about either of those.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 20 2007, 06:07 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

In version 1.5 of erratta, it has no mention of stick and shock.

4th printing of the BBB has the damage as 6S(e) half AP using Impact armor. Tasers are shown as half armor but does give any type.

I agree Jack Cain then it only halves the impact armor, does not affect Immunity to Normal Weapons.

But what if the target was wearing a armored vest 6/4 with rating 6 nonconductivity, would that mean against SnS that the impact rating would be 8 or 10?

Another question, most taser weapons in the BBB only only fire either SS or SA. Weapons loaded with SnS firing Burst or Full, do they gain the benefit of such bursts ie increased damage rating?

WMS

Edited 12 to a 10

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Jun 20 2007, 06:13 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

Rules-as-written? Fire modes are unchanged by ammo type. So, yeah, bursts with SnS are allowed. How would I play it? The same. I have had no issues with SnS seeming unbalanced. Would it be reasonable to limit SnS, saying it cannot be fired in bursts? Probably. I wouldn't do it. But I wouldn't fault the GM that made that restriction.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jun 20 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #15

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Disclaimer: I'm going to assume that the 8 or 12 was a typo and that you meant 8 or 10, if I'm wrong and you meant something else please correct me.

Well personally I'd say that the actual Impact Rating is still -1/2 down to ( Rating 2 ) before adding in the Nonconductivity ( Rating 6 ) so in the end you are looking at resisting with ( Rating 8 ) Armor.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Jun 20 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

I house rule stickn shock to 4S, so it's not an issue to me. Still, they're better as they do halve impact armor. It won't help against spirits unless you overcome their hardened armor, but otherwise it rocks.

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jun 20 2007, 10:48 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

For the OP. If your GM actually allows the stuff than it makes sense in game.

However as you're seeing most GMs don't like it and tend to remove/nerf it.

+Quote Post
djinni
post Jun 20 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,934

QUOTE (Jack Kain @ Jun 20 2007, 12:08 PM)

where?
Sunny I don't see why they'd remove it, or even why someone would decrease its damage output, since its just fine the way it is.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Jun 20 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

From another thread relating to the one of the issues
From Garrowolf's post:
QUOTE (Garrowolf)

Okay I decided to email Rob Boyle - the line developer for Shadowrun

We have a lovely argument going on Dumpshock that I has hoping you could help us with.

Can spirits take damage from non magical electrical damage? Can they be stunned at all for one?

QUOTE (Rob Boyle)

Yes, I would say they can take damage and their Immunity to Normal Weapons would apply. I would not reduce their Impact by half, though, since spirits don't really have armor in that sense -- the Immunity power is because they're magical and mundane attacks don't hurt them.
I would also ignore the secondary effects of Electricity damage against them, since they don't have nervous systems.

QUOTE (Garrowolf)

So there you go. This is the word from the top.

+Quote Post
Narmio
post Jun 21 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,053

I also removed Stick and Shock from my games. Sort of partially because it blows all other nonlethal methods out of the water, but primarily because it's silly. Silly, silly, silly.

In my campaigns it was an Ares research project that became a publically laughable failure; no means was found to reliably stop the capacitors from failing when fired out of a gun, even with reduced loads. The prototypes tended to spray people with bits of capacitor, sort of pathetic electronics shrapnel.

Maybe that's realistic, maybe it's not, maybe this thread will now become one of Dumpshock's famous "bring the gun nuts out of the woodwork" monstrosities. I hope not. But it's worked for me.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 21 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

I'm not going with the modified ammo rules until S&S is changed. Although on a difficult run all the guards have Non-Conductivity 6. I mean why nerf the other ammo and not the one that everyone agrees is the most broken.

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Jun 21 2007, 07:35 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

On the subject of nonlethality, are injection rounds available? For people who think the Super Squirt is the 14th stupidest thing to ever see print?

+Quote Post
yoippari
post Jun 21 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,865

I would love if they put in low power injection rounds. Since the fuel and everything is self contained in the round and they are just dependent on the gun to point it in the right direction and some signal to "go" I don't see any real life reason why they wouldn't work. Might involve a bit more meat in the cartridge to hold whatever low power propellant (I'm picturing small air canister) is needed to launch it but not bury itself a couple inches in the target. I'm a bit biased right now though as one of my characters would have fun loading someone up with zen from a distance.

Re: SnS I don't like all the specialty rounds for small caliber weapons like assault rifles and even the larger pistols. I won't buy SnS or flechette for anything but a shot gun. I'll probably buy explosive at some point but it isn't that big of a difference with the newer erretas. The elephant gun I can see SnS though. There is a guy over at thefireingline.org who turned a savage 12ga action into a 12ga rifle by using modified 50 BMG cases and .72 cal "bullets". If you could put a capacitor into anything it was one of those.

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Jun 21 2007, 09:26 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (yoippari)
Might involve a bit more meat in the cartridge to hold whatever low power propellant (I'm picturing small air canister) is needed to launch it but not bury itself a couple inches in the target.

Why not just use a small amount of chemical propellant? If you're aiming for a certain muzzle velocity and have a barrel of a certain length your acceleration is already fixed, so cordite won't be treating the round any more brutally than compressed air would.

Flechette I see as not a spray of splinters (then you'd use spread rules) but a single bullet that shatters into blades when it hits the target. Like a frangible round only sharper.

Elephant gun would not be suitable for S&S, owing to the fact that you've blasted the shock device entirely through your target. I suppose you could use a very small charge, but that defeats the purpose of using a rifle. Shotgun rounds are 18mm across and relatively low velocity, making them ideal for the purpose.

+Quote Post
GoldenAri
post Jun 21 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,935

The 6S and 1/2 impact never doesn't feel broken when compared to the cost of the ammunition. The thing that makes it so damned killer effective is the electrical secondary effect. The electrical secondary effect is incredibly overpowered letting the dice choose between "dead"(figurativly) and "screwed". With my players I don't throw electrical attacks at them, and they don't throw them at me.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:39 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.