Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GM Needs Help (again)
Omar the Falcon
post Jun 21 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,737

Ok, two games down, and we have the combat rules pretty well figured. Some more questions came up, but things went smooth. I totally forgot the professional rating, so some guards that should of taken moderate wounds and taken off fought to the death.. but anyway.

What I could use some help with is a basic overview of how you other GM's run a typical gaming session? You sit down at the table with your friends... and how do you start? I have a great adventure from the SR2 book "Mission" for a DocWagon HTR team that I want to use.. but I cant really figure out how to get the games started.

Someone mentioned something along the lines of "Its Tuesday, March 22, and 0800 hours. Weather is a light drizzle with some smog when you wake up... what would you like to do today?" Does that work? Should I just let the guys kinda find their own way before dropping a run in their laps?

The book provides for the hook, describes the meet with the 'johnson', but what then? Is it typical to encourage them to check with their contacts for more info? How do you go about doing that? How about when they want to go buy gear, or just general day to day life stuff?

I mean, is it just "hey, I am going to give my buddy Krazy Koslov the fixer a call, check out the details that I got from the johnson." then I roll the appropriate dice to find out what they found? Or "I need to buy a new case of ammo for my Ares LMG" and the appropriate dice rolls?

Just wondering if anyone would be so kind as to write up a basic run through of how you do things. I want things to be detailed for these guys, as they spent alot of time on their characters.. but at the same time I dont want it to take hours for them to do fairly mundane (but necessary) tasks. Keep the game smooth and all that.

Thanks if advance to anyone who is willing to help me out!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 21 2007, 10:53 PM
Post #2

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

We've got some session logs up that could give you an idea of how our sessions go—I'll post a link if the group gives their approval.

~J

+Quote Post
Omar the Falcon
post Jun 21 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #3

Target

That would be a great help! Thanks!

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Jun 21 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,166

Well, after a nice 30 to 60 minutes of BS talk, we actually sit down at the table. Then another 30 to 60 minutes of BS, then we start to play.
I start most of my games in one, or two ways.
1) If the characters are not right in the middle of things, I start it exactly how you stated it above. "Your alarm goes off right at noon with a loud buzz. You can hear rain drops striking your window outside. What do you do?" Something like that.
2) Or if my players were right in the middle of something when we had to stop. I say, "Ok, when you last left our "heroes" (I make quote marks in the air), they were driving to the meet. It was raining outside and you just flipped that guy off. Ok? Ok. You arrive at The Matchstick at 6:55PM, what do you do?"
My games are very player driven, I try not to steer them to obviously or forcefully in any direction.

+Quote Post
Omar the Falcon
post Jun 21 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #5

Target

So, lets take option 1. Can you give me an example of a typical game session when you start off like this?

I am just having no luck trying to get things started. The players are all somewhat new to SR, and I dont want to lead them too forcefully (though I will drop some things in their lap), but what is a typical reaction from your players to Opening #1?

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jun 22 2007, 01:24 AM
Post #6

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Opening 1 is a "Set the Scene" type of deal. The goal is to get descriptive, and try to draw your players into character. Most players will take a few minutes to settle into character. How well they settle in kinda depends on your skill as a GM, but generally most players are going to be accomodating.

Not long after option 1 comes the adventure hook. Generally, it's a fixer or Johnson calling to set up a meet. However, it could be something tailored to the individual player. For example, the Queen Euphoria module, I replaced the hook with a dead friend of one of the PC's, and they noticed that his credsticks had been used after his death.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 22 2007, 01:44 AM
Post #7

Manus Celer Dei

Run archive. Poorly organized and with two games mixed together, but it should give you some idea of how we run. I'll try to dig up a specific good example session to look at.

~J

+Quote Post
Platinum
post Jun 22 2007, 02:55 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 1,115

When I am gm'ing a session ... I start off with the char waking up to take care of any little business they need too before the run starts. Top up on some last minute supplies, etc. If the group knows each other, one of the chars gets a call from a contact and told to assemble the team at a local establishment to meet the J. If they don't know each other, then each in turn will get a message left on their machine, note in the door etc, from a contact or left cryptically to meet at the same place. Then introductions and social jockeying takes place from there. I only free form stuff now, making some point form notes, and having plenty of precreated maps on hand, because the players never ever do what I think they will ... and always throw me curve balls.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 22 2007, 05:01 AM
Post #9

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Rajatt99)
Well, after a nice 30 to 60 minutes of BS talk, we actually sit down at the table. Then another 30 to 60 minutes of BS, then we start to play.

Honestly, isn't this how everyone does it?! Rajatt, I seriously wonder how we never gamed together when I lived in Utah. Because I swear we play exactly the same way.

After the BSing, if anyone has any little projects goign on, we make sure we're all on the same page with those. I generally check if aynone is planning on starting on something new, like enchanting, programming, working on making new contacts ,etc. After that's set, we move on.

Assuming we're not picking up where the last game left off, in the middle of a run, the team Face or Leader or closest thign to eiter usually gets a message from either their fixer, or an independant one , or sometimes a Johnson directly. Sometimes it's a phone call, someitmes an email. Generally it's something along the lines of saying we've got potential work for you. Meet me at X location to discuss it. Then things go from there.

If you're running a Doc Wagon campaign, well, that'd be different. They go clock in at 0900 or 1800 or whatever and start their shift.

+Quote Post
Lazarus
post Jun 22 2007, 05:51 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,542

This is a pretty broad question but I'll throw my two cents in the hat and hope it helps.

Cain is pretty much right on the nuyen when it comes to the set up and the hook. Usually you do this type of stuff if you run a typical campaign run, you're just starting out as a GM and as players, or if your players like this style of play.

Some points I'm about to make you may have already heard so I apologize if I'm rehashing old news.

First you have ask yourself what you hope to gain out of the experience of GMing. It sounds corny in a self-helpish sort of way but really why are you running a game? Nothing better to do on a Friday night? Don't want to play a Halo LAN party? Want your friends to come over to your house so you won't be lonely? Or are you one of crazies that likes to be creative and this is an outlet (Guilty!)? Don't skip this question because it's important. I’m assuming because you took the time to write a post like this you're the last kind.

The next question you need to find out is what do your players hope to get out of your game? Do you have players that just want to play Troll Street Sams who get to run the Barrens with Panther Cannons checking to see "How many shots u think it take before zat building totally collaspes?" Or do they like the cyberpunk atmosphere? Also what type of campaign do they want to play? Action-oriented like Blade or Rambo? Do they want more of a Tom Clancy feel? Or are they Blade Runner purists? With these things in mind you can better design a campaign.

As for GMing it just takes time. You'll develop your own style. Myself I like more of an open ended game session. I like players to do a lot of work on their own. I hate leading players around by the nose from one scene to the next. I love it when a player comes up with an awesome idea that shoots the opposition's plans to hell. Also remember your players aren't their characters. Sometimes you might need to remind the Decker that "Hey you know you can chase down leads on the Matrix. In fact that would probably be the first thing your character would do." I know it seems like you’re being too nice but sometimes I can honestly picture a character in the Ether wanting to yell at his player for doing something out of character.

However you gotta get the action moving somehow. When I start a run I sometimes do the whole "Your vid phone is beeping. Caller ID says it's your Fixer Mr. Smith." After that it's role-playing. But if I'm GMing a group of amoral bastards I'm not going to expect them to take a Hood Run. Not going to happen not matter how much I like the story.

Remember players are sort of like Actors. You have to give them motivation to do something. That's why it helps if you know the player character's history, personality, basically the twenty questions section. If you have a player whose sole character is attributes, skills, and gun stats then he's not going to care about anything except combat.

Just try to have fun with it basically. Eventually you'll find your niche.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 22 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #11

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

One thing I've seen as very useful for a multi session adventure or long running campaign is the previous session recap.

Start of the session hand out one karma to the player who explains what happens last session and what's on the plate for today. (Extra karma for in character recaps, or character pov recap)

Reminds people of the fun they had last time, and gets them warmed up for the upcoming session.

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Jun 22 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Omar the Falcon @ Jun 21 2007, 11:49 PM)
So, lets take option 1.  Can you give me an example of a typical game session when you start off like this?

I am just having no luck trying to get things started.  The players are all somewhat new to SR, and I dont want to lead them too forcefully (though I will drop some things in their lap), but what is a typical reaction from your players to Opening #1?

Me: "Your alarm goes off right at noon with a loud buzz. You can hear rain drops striking your window outside. What do you do?"
Player 1: "I drag myself outta bed and do my normal morning routine." (This means bathe, brush teeth, eat breakfast, get dressed, etc."
Me: "Ok, that takes you about an hour."
Player 1: "Ok, I want to call Bobby."
Me: "Ok." I roll a D6, 1-3 he's not available 4-6 he is. Let's say I roll a 6. "Ring, ring." Yes, I say ring, ring. "Bobby's Party emporium, this is Bobby Speaking." Apparently he doesn't have caller ID.
Player 1: "Hey Bobby, it's Stain. I wanted to know when I could come see you for the party set up." They have code words set up with Bobby. A "party set up" means surgery. P.S. Bobby is a street doc, he has a black clinic behind a front, a party store.
Me: "Oh right. I'm booked til the end of the week, come in Monday and I should be able to squeeze you in."
Player 1: "Sounds good Bobby. Bye. Click." Yes, my players all say click when they hang up their phones. I don't know when it started, but now it's a normal thing.
Me: "Ok Sweetie, what's Ebony doing?" That's my wife's character, I don't call all my players Sweetie.
My Wife: "Do my normal routine, but I want to call Jeeves to see if he's busy for breakfast."
Me: "Ok." I roll again. "Hey this is Jeeves, sorry I'm not able to make it to the phone."
My Wife: "Oh well, I hang up. Click."
Me: "Takes you an hour to get ready, now what?"
My Wife: "I'm going to call Klaus." Their Fixer. "I want to see if he's got any work."
Me: "Ok." I roll. "Yes Ebony, what is it?" He has caller ID.
My Wife: "Hey, I just wanted to let you know that we're available for work."
I'll either say, "Good, I have a run right now, just fell into my lap." or "Noted, I call you when something comes up."
Then I turn to Player 3.
Me: "Ok, what's Zero doing?"
Player 3: "Normal stuff and then I'm going to go for a jog in the park."
Me: "Alright, you get out there at about 1. The park is full of homeless people."
Player 3: "Geez, I guess that's what I get for living so close to the barrens."
Me: "As your jogging, one steps in front of you." Then in a "Bum" voice I say, "Hey bubby got anything you can spare?"
Player 3: "Get the frag outta my way!"

Does that help?
Like I said my game is VERY player driven. If there's a run they must do at that moment, I have their fixer call them, or I have a level 3 contact call them (they never turn down their level 3's). Or, I do what Cain said, throw out the clues and hope the players bite.

Now, not everything is so detailed. If Stain is building a gun, or fixing a car, I have him roll the appropriate rolls and then I tell him how long it's going to take. I wouldn't tell him, "Ok, now you repair the exhaust manifold."

+Quote Post
Omar the Falcon
post Jun 22 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #13

Target

That helps alot actually... thank you very much!

I am working on a detailed reply to the other responses. Thanks to everyone who has taken time to reply. More importantly, I think my players will thank you.

+Quote Post
Omar the Falcon
post Jun 22 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (Lazarus)
First you have ask yourself what you hope to gain out of the experience of GMing. It sounds corny in a self-helpish sort of way but really why are you running a game? Nothing better to do on a Friday night? Don't want to play a Halo LAN party? Want your friends to come over to your house so you won't be lonely? Or are you one of crazies that likes to be creative and this is an outlet (Guilty!)? Don't skip this question because it's important. I’m assuming because you took the time to write a post like this you're the last kind.

Its a mix of alot of those, to be honest. I like to tell a story, and I love the SR setting. I like the mix of action, technology, and intrigue... living in a future word thats mixed with magic and the supernatural. I also have alot of ideas that I want to try and tell a story with. Then I have a group of guys I like to hang out with who all had a bad experience in the past with SR, and I kinda want to get them back into the game.. as well as getting back into it myself.

The next question you need to find out is what do your players hope to get out of your game?  Do you have players that just want to play Troll Street Sams who get to run the Barrens with Panther Cannons checking to see "How many shots u think it take before zat building totally collaspes?"  Or do they like the cyberpunk atmosphere?  Also what type of campaign do they want to play?  Action-oriented like Blade or Rambo?  Do they want more of a Tom Clancy feel?  Or are they Blade Runner purists?  With these things in mind you can better design a campaign.

I think our games are going to be more action oriented, with a bit of everything else added in. Some movies that we have watched lately to get the 'feel' of the game have been:

- Blade Runner (not very popular)
- Aliens (VERY popular)
- The Italian Job (popular)
- Ghost in the Shell (VERY popular)
- Resident Evil (popular)

So, I see things as being action oriented.

For the plot, this all started when I was throwing out ideas for alternate 'settings' such as Lone Star detectives, corp security, and DocWagon HTR. Everyone bit at the idea of playing a group of runners employed by DocWagon. I had a decent storyline worked up, then got a copy of the SR2 "Missions" which had a much better way to get them into DocWagon. So, I plan to run that adventure, and at the end.. they can decide. Stay with DocWagon and run on the side, or 'retire' and become full on shadowrunners. They can still do the odd job here and there when not 'working'.

Gives them a central tie (they all work for DocWagon) which keeps them from having to figure how how and why they know each other. Gives me nearly unlimited game ideas... all sorts of odd things can happen while working in the barrens with DocWagon (or anywhere else they might get transferred to). Gives them a purpose as well. Also, should any character die or retire (or we get new players) its easy to add them in.

As for GMing it just takes time.  You'll develop your own style.  Myself I like more of an open ended game session.  I like players to do a lot of work on their own.  I hate leading players around by the nose from one scene to the next.  I love it when a player comes up with an awesome idea that shoots the opposition's plans to hell.  Also remember your players aren't their characters.  Sometimes you might need to remind the Decker that "Hey you know you can chase down leads on the Matrix.  In fact that would probably be the first thing your character would do."  I know it seems like you’re being too nice but sometimes I can honestly picture a character in the Ether wanting to yell at his player for doing something out of character.

I think thats how I am going to have to lead them into it, but hopefully they will pick it up on their own. Reward the people who do more work.

Just try to have fun with it basically.  Eventually you'll find your niche.

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Omar the Falcon
post Jun 22 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #15

Target

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
One thing I've seen as very useful for a multi session adventure or long running campaign is the previous session recap.

Start of the session hand out one karma to the player who explains what happens last session and what's on the plate for today. (Extra karma for in character recaps, or character pov recap)

Reminds people of the fun they had last time, and gets them warmed up for the upcoming session.

That is a VERY good idea. It will also encourage them to keep notebooks with useful info, as I am finding myself having to do. We all just play too many games to remember everything.

+Quote Post
Lazarus
post Jun 23 2007, 04:58 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,542

QUOTE (DireRadiant)

I swear I've never thought of doing that. Wow. That is an awesome idea. Kudos to you DR!

+Quote Post
Rajaat99
post Jun 23 2007, 07:56 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Omar sent me a message asking me to explain a little more. I did, but I thought I'd put it here also, just in case anyone else needed it too.
Thanks alot for your response.. that was exactly what I was looking for.

Now, how do you usually handle combat scenes?  When the bullets are about to fly do you just draw a rough map and go from there, or do you do any prep work?

I bought a nice vinyl map that covers my table for this, but I am finding that I am spending an hour, at least, drawing out a map for the combat area... and then the combat itself lasts between 1-2 hours.  Now, we are still new to combat, so I know it will go quicker later... but I would be interested to hear how you handle it. 

Thanks!

I try to handle combat quickly. It really depends on the situation. I normally don't draw anything down, I just explain things. I will draw it out if there's a lot of environmental obstacles, like a office with a desk and file cabinet to hide behind. Or, if they're fighting in a parking garage (I cannot stress how important it is to draw a map for fight scenes when in a parking garage). I never use mini's for SR.
Let's say my players are walking down the street and they take a short cut down an alley, wrong fraggin alley. A huge friggin guy is waiting to serial crush them.
Me: "Roll Reaction."
Players: "What? Why?"
Me: "Just Roll it." I roll the serial crushes reaction, he got 5 successes.
Player 1: "I rolled 4 successes."
Player 2: "Crap, I success. Look, my shoe lace is untied.
Player 3: "5, no wait, 6 successes!"
Player 4: "4."
Me: "Ok, Player 3, you see a huge friggin guy looming overhead, he looks suspicious. Human, white guy, brown hair. He's wearing flats. Player 3, you roll reaction again."
Other Players: "What about us?"
Me: "You're surprised."
The other players groan while Player 3 and I roll reaction for the "surprise action". (In a surprise situation you only get one simple action, no matter how much wired reflexes you have.)
Player 3: "4 successes."
Me: " 4 successes, what's your high?"
Player 3: "8"
Me: "Ok, you go first, what are you going to do?"
Player 3: "I pull out my AK97." Then in his character voice. "Look out!" Then in his normal voice, "I jump behind a dumpster."
Me: "Ok." I roll some dice for the serial crusher. "Player 1, a huge guy, probably 6'6", 400 pounds, all muscle, jumps down from the fire escape and lands on you. Roll Body, difficulty 7."
Player 1: "Crap." Rolls his body. "2 successes."
Me: "Ok, take a serious stun and roll knockdown."
Player 1: "Serious? Are you serious?"
Me: "Yes, roll knockdown, difficulty 7."
Player 1: "1 success."
Me: "A huge guy jumps on your back, it hurts like heck, but you manage to stay on your feet. Ok, now everyone, roll initiative."
Everyone rolls.
Player 1: "21, oops, serious wound, so.... 18."
Player 2: "11."
Player 3: "22."
Player 4: "5, yes, a freaking 5!"
Everyone laughs.
Me, after jotting down everyones initiative on a piece of scratch paper: "Ok, 22."
Player 3: "I shoot him."
Me: "Burst or normal."
Player 3: "Uh, better do burst, this guy is huge."
Me: "Ok, difficulty, 8."
Player 3: "Why 8?" As he's rolling.
Me: "4 for short, burst adds 3, light adds 1. That AK doesn't have any RC does it?"
Player 3: "No." Looks down and counts. "2 successes, not bad."
Me: "The guy attempts to jump out of the way." I roll, poorly. "Only one success, you hit him."
Player 3: "Ok, that's 11 serious."
Me: I roll the huge guys body dice against 9 Serious, he's wearing an armored vest under his flats. I get two successes. "Ouch you nail him hard." I roll the huge guys body and get 2 successes against the base power of the gun, 8. I get 1 success. "He falls back, but manages to stay on his feet, he's bleeding out pretty badly."
Player 1: "Alright, my turn. I'm going to quick draw my Ares and gun him down."
Me: "Sorry, me first."
Player 1: "Crap."
Me: "He runs right at you, Player 3, with a crazed look in his eye."
Player 2: "He's got to be on something."
Player 4: "Probably Kamakaze, or Nitro."
Me: I roll the huge guys brawl dice. I roll 6 succeses to hit. "Player 3, roll to defend."
Player 3: Rolls his brawl. In a sad voice "2 succeses."
Me: "Ok, this huge guy runs over and kicks you right in the chest."
All players: "Ohhhh!"
Me: "Roll Body, difficulty 7, minus your armored jacket, so 4."
Player 1: "Who me?"
Me: "No, player 3."
Player 3: "Ok." Rolls. "4 successes."
Me: "Ok, you take moderate stun."
Player 3: "Frag."
Player 1: "Ok, now I shoot him!" Rolls his quickness, for quick draw. "1 success, alright!"
Me: "Difficulty 9, remember Mr. Serious Wound?"
Player 1: "Oh yeah, no successes."
Me: "Ok, you fumble with your weapon, but manage to pull it out, without dropping it. Sweetie, you're next."
Player 2: "Finally."
Player 4: "Hey, don't complain, I'm the one with the 5!"
Everyone laughs.
Player 2: "Ok, I'm going to punch him. Using Killing Hands."
Me: "Roll Brawl." I roll brawl for the huge guy. 5 successes.
Player 2: "6 successes."
Me: "Ok, you hit with 1 success
Player 2: "Geez, stupid-crazied-drug, 7 Serious."
Me: Rolls for the huge guy. I get 1 success. "You slam your fist into his chest. You can feel his sternum crack. He tumbles to the ground, limp."
Player 4: "I shoot him, just to make sure."
Me: "Ok."

Did that help?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 23 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #18

Manus Celer Dei

Your players should be glad they didn't meet the parallel crusher.

~J

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jun 24 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #19

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Omar the Falcon @ Jun 21 2007, 05:49 PM)
1) If the characters are not right in the middle of things, I start it exactly how you stated it above. "Your alarm goes off right at noon with a loud buzz. You can hear rain drops striking your window outside. What do you do?" Something like that.

So, lets take option 1. Can you give me an example of a typical game session when you start off like this?

I am just having no luck trying to get things started. The players are all somewhat new to SR, and I dont want to lead them too forcefully (though I will drop some things in their lap), but what is a typical reaction from your players to Opening #1?

If you have players that are not familiar with the setting, this approach could lead to disaster, or at least a lot of potential entries for the C.L.U.E. files.

At this point in their evolution as SR players, a bit of guidance is ok, if not downright appreciated.

We would usually start off with either a PC getting a call about a meeting for a job or all the PCs working the bar/club looking to get hired for a job. Many of the old published adventures had such a lead in.

Since your players are new, after they get the call for the meet, ask them what they are doing in preperation for it, what they are taking with them, etc.. This is usually where the troll sammie says he is taking his Panther Cannon (or perhaps just his Ares Assault Rifle) with him on the bus to a meet at the Space Needle. This is where the GM explains that the player's character probably knows better than to take such an action. A mean GM would have the player roll the PC's Intelligence or Etiquette.

I have nothing against a player driven game, but for newbies, they probably don't know what they can do or what they really want their PCs to try to do. It's kind of like asking a child what they want to be when they grow up and getting responses like astronaut, fireman, or a cowboy. When your players learn more about the setting and the game, then turning them loose will hopefully more closely resemble college students declaring a major and thinking about a career.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 24 2007, 01:17 PM
Post #20

Manus Celer Dei

I usually open the first game with the players all getting calls from their various jobfinder-people about a job. What they write about their character can help, but really, characters don't have personalities until at least the first time they interact with another character.

~J

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jun 24 2007, 01:28 PM
Post #21

Free Spirit

QUOTE (Omar the Falcon @ Jun 22 2007, 02:33 PM)
For the plot, this all started when I was throwing out ideas for alternate 'settings' such as Lone Star detectives, corp security, and DocWagon HTR.  Everyone bit at the idea of playing a group of runners employed by DocWagon.  I had a decent storyline worked up, then got a copy of the SR2 "Missions" which had a much better way to get them into DocWagon.  So, I plan to run that adventure, and at the end.. they can decide.  Stay with DocWagon and run on the side, or 'retire' and become full on shadowrunners.  They can still do the odd job here and there when not 'working'.

My previous post was before I read this clarification of your game plan. With this new info in mind, I would start the session by going through what the team will be carrying as part of the DocWagon team. You as GM can be part of telling them what they carry, as the job should hace a pretty standard loadout.

Then I would actually start the game like the old TV series Emergency!, with alarms going off and vehicles moving out in response to a call from a DocWagon customer. Who knows what kind of mischief they are going to encounter?!

If you are wanting a player driven game, plant hooks in their DocWagon calls. Something like an item being left behind and the revived customer hiring them to retrieve it. Or let them see hurt people that are not covered by DocWagon that the company prohibits them from helping during business hours. Maybe a security team that the PC team rescued babbles about what some Shadowrunners made off with and the team can decide if they want to liberate it during their time off that conveniently starts as soon as they get the sec team to the clinic (they are already into overtime.) Plant some descriptions for other things for the team to investigate or loot.

When the players are more familiar with the game, then they can get a bit more personal with their ideas, generating their own trouble because you let them freely investigate non work related leads.

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I usually open the first game with the players all getting calls from their various jobfinder-people about a job. What they write about their character can help, but really, characters don't have personalities until at least the first time they interact with another character.

~J

I totally agree. I'll add that even when an experienced player in a new group that tries writing a bunch of potential hooks into his character through Contacts or Background, the unfamiliar GM and/or other players may not feel comfortable taking full advantage of the presented opportunities. Or the GM may misinterpret a Background.

I had one character that barely got played that was middle aged and just slightly racist. Slightly as in the people he personally knew of whatever race were ok, but the majority of said race were jerks. It came about as his having been bounced out of countries and careers due to events in SR history. The GM got the idea that he was a fervent Humanis type and was worried about integrating him into a metahuman team. The PC would have seen them as ok and maybe comment how they were different than their metahuman stereotype. So even having a personality in mind and explaining it, doesn't always come across the way one plans.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 24 2007, 01:34 PM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Incidentally, remember, if your players are DocWagon employees, it is their job to spray fire around indiscriminately on any HTR job. Every bystander they hit could be a DocWagon customer, which means another response, which means more money. Encourage each of them to buy one or more machine pistols or SMGs with extended magazines and to learn the suppressive fire rules.

~J

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jun 24 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #23

Free Spirit

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
Incidentally, remember, if your players are DocWagon employees, it is their job to spray fire around indiscriminately on any HTR job. Every bystander they hit could be a DocWagon customer, which means another response, which means more money. Encourage each of them to buy one or more machine pistols or SMGs with extended magazines and to learn the suppressive fire rules.

~J

LOL

But is that actually going to make the company more money? Some contracts are all expenses included in the premium.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jun 24 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #24

Manus Celer Dei

Yes, but those contracts are very expensive—assuming the contracts are at least break-even on a response up to Gold (which costs in itself more than a Lone Star cop makes during the coverage period, and is the last level where some portion of HTR costs other than death benefits are paid by the customer), the cost for a contract that will lose them money if they shoot you is less than a thousand nuyen per month shy of the cost of a full Middle lifestyle. Basically, spraying around ammo is a good idea unless they're in executiveland.

~J

+Quote Post
Taran
post Jun 24 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,891

Because I like it and it's a good illustration of our personal play style, I'll (re?)post this run log.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.