IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cha 1 Uncouth Rigger, How should I deal with him?
Ravor
post Jun 26 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #101

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,361

Well ShadowDragon8685 I think this is what I would do:

( 1 ) Remind your bunkered Rigger the meaning of "Realistically Run World" and introduce him to some of the reasons that Riggers/Deckers now come along with the team as well as why one man bunkers in the middle of the Barrens are almost as good of an idea as kicking Lofwry in the nuts.

( 2 ) Ask Samantha if she would be interested in retconning her character as a Decker instead of a Technomancer, they are alot easier to play and if built properly she should have enough Build Points left over to be more then just a Decker, it seems that your team is lacking a Face for example. (Plus a Decker/Face combo works well together as long as you allow Social Engineering hacking to work.)

*EDIT*

( 3 ) Post Jtuxyan's Rigger, because the more I read about his character the more I'd like to take a look at it because something doesn't smell quite right.

*EDIT 2.0*

Although I suppose I could be mistaken...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jun 26 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #102

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

The way to put a crimp in Mr. Lucky's style is to restrict his usage of Edge. Say, he can only use it while present, not via drone. This is consistent with the "No Edge with Skillwires" rule.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 26 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #103

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

the problem being, you then get no edge use in the matrix at all cain.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Jun 27 2007, 04:49 AM
Post #104

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

You can use it while "virtually" present; e.g., your consciousness and focus is there. But you can't use it when captain's chair-ing a drone, on behalf of an Agent, etc, etc. The munchkin Mr. Lucky can use his edge when he's piloting one drone; but the minute it runs into wifi-blocking wallpaper, he gets cut off and can't spend Edge.

+Quote Post
Panda Bear
post Jun 27 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #105

Target

Member No.: 12,068

You know, I'm glad I saw this topic before I made my character. I was going to make an uncouth mystic adept/adept stealthy as-all-hell shadowrunner with one charisma and the uncouth quality.

Now I've decided against it. =)

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 28 2007, 01:25 AM
Post #106

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

QUOTE (Critias)
Well, not so much to make you burn edge, but to keep you paranoid (or, ironically, to make you grow complacent). Lots of games, you say "roll perception," and the group responds with "I roll perception and ready my crossbow" or "I roll perception and pull the pin on a grenade," or "I roll perception and cast invisibility.".

Had one Lucky character burn an edge when I asked everyone to roll perception as they were sneaking through the Ork underground. 6 hits and there was nothing out of the ordinary.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jun 28 2007, 02:27 AM
Post #107

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

Come on. With 6 hits, you should've at least let him notice that one of the other party members with a squatter/low lifestyle forgot to take their last shower.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jun 28 2007, 03:37 AM
Post #108

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

QUOTE (Tarantula)
Come on. With 6 hits, you should've at least let him notice that one of the other party members with a squatter/low lifestyle forgot to take their last shower.

but wouldnt that be normal? i'd find it more amusing if one of the middle style people forgot :D

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 28 2007, 01:25 PM
Post #109

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Edge and perception checks has always been weird, in my mind. I mean, edge is supposed to be that special luck that really pulls your bacon out of the fire when you really need it, but how does a player know which perception test is to spot the bomb that will kill everyone and which one is just the GM making them paranoid?
I don't really have a rule for this, but I think that if it were a very important roll then, after seeing a table full of very poor rolls, I'd probably let them know that it might be a good time to use edge.
Thoughts? Or is this way too off topic?

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jun 28 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #110

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

i dont agree, the players should make that choice, otherwise the extra rolls " just cuz" are worthless, the players will only use the edge if they are guided to do so for perception, they'll believe everything else is extra

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jun 28 2007, 01:55 PM
Post #111

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

The GM could always accept the burning of the EG point in the spirit in which it is intended; and save that particular Perception roll for a near-future time when it really counts.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 28 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #112

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
The GM could always accept the burning of the EG point in the spirit in which it is intended; and save that particular Perception roll for a near-future time when it really counts.

Sounds reasonable

+Quote Post
sunnyside
post Jun 28 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #113

Shooting Target

Member No.: 10,502

Well we're off topic but I don't have my characters generally roll perception unless it's about to be critical (like do they see the shooter about to ambush them), or if they're actively using the observe in detail action or something like that.

For everything else I queue up rolls on paper and just read through them. It speeds things up greatly. As I can work in details they notice into the origional description of things. It also avoids having to do fake rolls all the freaking time to keep them from doing the "I roll perception and pull out my gun" thing.

Sometimes I'll just roll for them myself if it's a bit more important. I tend to fidget with dice while playing so that also doesn't disrupt the flow really.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 28 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #114

QUOTE (sunnyside)
...I don't have my characters generally roll perception unless it's about to be critical (like do they see the shooter about to ambush them), or ...
...It also avoids having to do fake rolls all the freaking time to keep them from doing the "I roll perception and pull out my gun" thing...

I chopped up your post a lot, but there are the parts I'm interested in:
This is EXACTLY the behavior that creates the "roll perception and pull out my gun" thinking. If you only ask for perception tests when it's about to be critical, then they quickly figure out that when you ask them, they need to pull out a gun.
Having rolls down in advance to consult for non-critical checks certainly speeds things up, but it doesn't escape this problem, it causes it.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 28 2007, 04:18 PM
Post #115

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

The time/place for perception checks is an interesting topic. however it isn't really this topic. Please bring it back to topic, or feel free to create another thread.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jun 28 2007, 05:17 PM
Post #116

You're right.
To continue the perception conversation, go here.

Back to your regularly scheduled munchkinism.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:52 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.