Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Me = New GM, Ugh
SteamPunkBlues
post Jun 28 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,063

I have a planned Shadowrun game for this Friday afternoon. I have never run a Shadowrun game before, am barely familiarized with the rules, and have not had nearly enough time to work on making a campaign and learning the rules. Originally the game was just going to be for a couple of friends, but now some people none of us know have expressed interested via a local college mailing list. Should I forgot running my own mission and use a prefab, or just cram the rules tonight and work on the adventure tomorrow (no work)?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jun 28 2007, 02:12 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 185

If you can get your hands on On The Run, the introductory adventure for SR4, it's not only a good entry level adventure, but it's especially handy for newbie gamemasters because it walks you through running each scene and even offers look-up page references for many of the relevant rules as they crop up in the story.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jun 28 2007, 02:15 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

If you do want to include the new arrivals, possibly your easiest option is to hand out the archetypes from the BBB to the players (let them choose, but no more than one of each) and go with a prefab adventure. This will let you and your players capture the flavour of the SR world and the feel of the rules without committing too much into those who might never turn up again.

If it works out, maybe set the next session as a custom character-building session (including the all-important first meeting); and then plunge into your planned campaign the session after that.

+Quote Post
SteamPunkBlues
post Jun 28 2007, 02:32 PM
Post #4

Target

The problem is most of them know the rules better than I, and are all planning on brining characters to the first session.

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Jun 28 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,360

Note that, even using the archetypes from the BBB, you'll still have to look up stats on some equipment. Specifically, the weapons.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Jun 28 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #6

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (SteamPunkBlues)
The problem is most of them know the rules better than I, and are all planning on brining characters to the first session.

The ability to GM effectively is not measured by the depth of knowledge of the rules, but by imagining and presenting the world in which the characters live in. The rules just help you figure out what dice to roll.

If some players are more knowledgeable, exploit them, have them explain all the modifiers and rolls they think they need for everyone else everytime. That way everyone learns. Just make it clear the final decision on what dice and modifier, or even if they need to roll is up to the GM.

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Jun 28 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Back when SR4 had just came out, I ran it with a very minimal knowledge of the rules. But I described everything well, provided an interesting situation, and my players had a good time.

Case in point :)

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 28 2007, 02:46 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

How long of a session do you think it will be?

If you are talking about 4 hours, I'd say that you could easily fill that time with your basic hook to get all the runners together, like a Johnson meet via their own contacts. Just do a quick outline of what the job is going to be, so you can give them some details, but you don't have to do the whole adventure for tomorrow.

What I would do, is detail the meet place, and create a couple scenarios, maybe an altercation in the club, maybe one after the meet as they are getting ready to leave. I think a single combat scenario is going to fill up an hour or so, but still be fun, plus you can focus on cramming combat rules now.

Map out the meeting place, give your Johnson a personality, and get one combat scenario set up. Assuming that when you all get together, you take some time to review character sheets, have some small-talk around the table and then dive into everyone getting a call from a contact to meet with Johnson as Club X, you should be able to fill a session and not have to go overboard on the planning. Plus, as a GM, you will be getting a feel for your group and then have an easier time fleshing out the details of the run...

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jun 28 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Perhaps exploiting their knowledge for general group benefit will work -- but they are new to your group, and you don't yet know how they think, or how they'll mesh with you and your friends. Since they'll already have had their PCs made up, there is going to be strong weight of expectation on you to approve those PCs in a hurry -- in a game system you are unfamiliar with, and therefore don't yet know how loopholes can be exploited.

If you're intending an ongoing campaign, still worthwhile doing a one-off before you approve anything, just to see how your existing group gets along with these new people. Might work out great -- but also might not, in which case isn't it better to know ahead of time?

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jun 28 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #10

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

1) Don't stress. It's a game, not an exam.

2) Try running your first game. Nothing ambitious, a small run.

3) If YOU don't have fun, figure out why and correct it.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jun 28 2007, 03:03 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

What Backgammon said :rotate:

+Quote Post
SteamPunkBlues
post Jun 28 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #12

Target

This is unrelated, but some internet snooping revealed one of the players is some 16 year old goth/emo/wiccan girl. I am somewhat worried about this. I'm 21, but would her parents be weirded out if she went to some old boy's house and he was drinking? Because I have some IPA in the fridge and I was saving them for Friday...

As for rules, I the way this run is set up is a lot of walking around and experiencing things, not so much disabling security and such. Hopefully this will work.

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Jun 28 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Also, in my experience, gamers are generally pretty understanding about new GMs, and their lack of experience with rules. Most people I've played with (and GM'd for) have been very helpful. Remember... you're doing them a favor. The wouldn't have a game to play if it weren't for you.

(Just don't let that go to your head ;))

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 28 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (SteamPunkBlues)
This is unrelated, but some internet snooping revealed one of the players is some 16 year old goth/emo/wiccan girl. I am somewhat worried about this. I'm 21, but would her parents be weirded out if she went to some old boy's house and he was drinking? Because I have some IPA in the fridge and I was saving them for Friday...

As for rules, I the way this run is set up is a lot of walking around and experiencing things, not so much disabling security and such. Hopefully this will work.

If you are worried about the girl, just make sure you don't put yourself in a situation that you are alone with her...sounds like you have a pretty large group anyways, so if you don't make a big deal out of it, I doubt anyone else will...although you might want to make sure she isn't drinking your beer...

+Quote Post
SteamPunkBlues
post Jun 28 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #15

Target

I'm just saying when I had this idea to run a shadowrun game for a couple of friends, I didn't expect to be running a game for some 16 year old goth girl... makes me feel old too :(

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 28 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

I hope this doesn't come out too un-PC, but I would recommend trying to treat her the same. I've been in about 4 different groups that we had a girl in (a couple were a friend's girlfriend or wife, other times was just some of our friends), but every single one of them, she got preferential treatment from the GM...

I guess I should say that favoring any player is bad, as that sucks too, but I do see a tendency that females, when in an all male group, end up getting better treatment in-game...so, don't treat her any different...16 year old girl or 16 year old boy...and I think the rest of your players will appreciate it!

+Quote Post
Gargs454
post Jun 28 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 9,490

I agree that for your first session you should probably prepare a one-off as mentioned earlier. A published adventure can be good for this too as it will give you more time to simply brush up on the rules rather than worrying about preparing the adventure AND brushing up on the rules. Having a one-off as mentioned, also lets you and your friends decide whether or not you want to keep the "outsiders" in your group.

Ultimately, its up to you as to what you want to run, but it might make sense if you are still learning the rules to use a published adventure since it should, in theory anyway, be fairly balanced and will save you time. Obviously, much of the fun of Shadowrun comes from creating your own story so you will ultimately want to create your own adventures most likely, but there is always time for that later on.

Finally, if you find out that the "outsiders" are not a good mesh with your group, then it makes it easier for you to plan out your campaign as you'll know how many players you have. Nothing is worse than designing a run that is a good challenge for 6 players and then only having 3 stick around.

As for the girl, do what you are comfortable with. If you are not comfortable with having a 16 year old girl in your house, so be it. Everyone should understand, and if they don't, then you probably do not want them in your group anyway.

It is a good idea though to try to avoid being in the house alone with her. Have your friends come over extra early to be safe, etc. Also, it is illegal for you to provide her with alcohol. Its not a problem for you and those over 21 to drink, but if she drinks, you can get into trouble, both criminally, and be liable in civil court should she later injure somebody. (i.e. gets drunk and drives home but gets into an accident) etc.

+Quote Post
Nerf'd
post Jun 28 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 12,075

I've was in a similar situation when SR4 came out, and I was lucky enough to have someone I trusted in the group to help me out with Rules.

In my view, a GM's job is not to be a rules reference, it is instead to create (and maintain) a coherent world full of enough openings to enable Wacky Hijinks on the part of the players. Concentrate on that part, and you've already pretty much won the battle.

Let your players know that you're still getting used to the rules, and try to make them understand that things may be a bit rocky to begin with.

If you have questions about characters that people are bringing you, ask them to explain them. If the explanation sets off your BS alarm, let them know that you are not entirely comfortable with the character as it stands.

As for the use of pre-genned adventures, I've always been against them - but they seem to work for a lot of people.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jun 28 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Speaking of the whole "girl in a gaming group" issue, I currently have a slight issue in that direction; I and one of the players have a friend (she's not my girlfriend or his) who is curious about what we're doing--mostly because she wants to understand the references that Ben and I keep on using when the whole gang (the three of us and about ten others) gets together for pizza and movies and such. So she's debating on sitting in on one of our gaming sessions and just watching us play. I warned her that she'll be confused, bored or both, but she's still considering it.

so... *gestures vaguely* any advice on how to handle this?

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Jun 28 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Let her. Is there a problem with someone watching you game? Do you have gamer anxiety?

As far as I understand it, the original poster isn't concerned with the "girl in a gaming group" issue. Gaming with girls is not a big deal. Gaming with underage girls, while drinking... that's the problem. It's the combination. Gaming with a girl by itself isn't a problem. Gaming with an underage girl is more of a problem. Gaming with an underage girl while consuming alcohol is yet more of a problem.

I'd say as long as you don't plan on getting totally drunk, you'll be fine.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jun 28 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #21

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Generally you're right, I've seen a lto of S.Os sit in on agmes and get bored/confused/interuptive/whatever. But the fact that she wants to show some interest in what you're all talking about , don't say no, just suffer through it. If that is what happens, oh well, you potentially had one bad game. however, if she ends up liking it, you could have a new layer. I've had both happen.

You could try talking to her about the character types and the wetting a bit , see if perhaps you can write her u pa quick character and see if she's actually interested in playing, that way she can be included. Even if her char mostly sits on the side lines for the first game, there wil be a better feeling of inclusion.

+Quote Post
deek
post Jun 28 2007, 05:30 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Yeah, I'd let her sit in as well...she's just interested in what her friends are doing, no biggie there. You may get lucky and get another player for the group. Girl or not, anyone sitting in on a game, should be allowed as long as they agree not to be disruptive. That's the last thing you want, no matter what the gender.

Honestly, its no different than a guy friend that has never played sitting in. Everyone gets a little self-conscious at first because it is something new. Once that has worn off, then everything gets back to normal!

+Quote Post
JonathanC
post Jun 28 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 3,083

QUOTE (SteamPunkBlues)

Well, if you can find one or two of them that you can trust not to be assholes, don't be afraid to use them as rule lookup resources from time to time.

Also, use your own run. Forget about On The Run...it's useless to you unless you've read the thing enough to be really familiar with it, and in your position, you want to use your reading time to study up on the rules. Read the magic, matrix, and combat chapters, and make some notes on the things you're likely to need on the spur of the moment (barrier ratings, for example).

On the bright side, the fact that you're running for people familiar with the game can work in your favor. Just don't let them run over you with cheesy, ridiculously min-maxed characters.

+Quote Post
SteamPunkBlues
post Jun 28 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #24

Target

What I should have said is I'm used to playing games with my college friends, or friends of their friends, so people of around the same age and disposition. All of a sudden finding out I'm running this game for an underage goth, you understand how this threw me off a bit.

Yeah, I'll brush up on the rules, and I think instead of using a prefab I'll be running my own mission. It's pretty low key, basic breaking and entering an unfinished office complex. Still, I'm a bit worried about if one of my players is a because I have NO idea how those rules work.

+Quote Post
SteamPunkBlues
post Jun 28 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #25

Target

So, here are some more specific questions: with from 4-6 players, how much firepower can I throw at them so they are challenged but can survive if they play smart? I was planning on having them run into some Humanis Policlub skinheads looking for trouble. Then, the mission itself involves infiltrating an unfinished office building. What kind of security would make the mission exciting but possible?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.