> The Chameleon Suit and the Off Switch:, How the Chameleon Suit Works
Panda Bear
post Jun 29 2007, 04:18 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,068

Howdy!

I'm working on an adept right now that uses stealth to his advantage. I am purchasing skills, powers and equipment to help him out.

Now, I was really intrigued by the chameleon suit (and in fact plan on using chameleon in my character's shadowrunner name), but I had a few questions about it.

Is it always active? From what I can tell, most electrical equipment (if not all) in shadowrun has an off switch. The chameleon suit is awesome, but there can be cool things to do with turning it off.

Think the Cyborg Ninja (who was probably an adept). He makes himself invisible, and them to be a complete badass, turns his suit off to reveal himself. I imagine my allies talking to someone, that someone pulls a gun and I come out from "invisibility" and put a knife to the guy's throat.

Also, would the chameleon suit work on other things attached to you? Such as your sword, gun or anything on the outside of it? If not, could it be possible to put that technology on weapons and other items?

As for my last question; you think 2070 has the technology to make helmets on armor that act like Jaffa helmets?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Jun 29 2007, 04:33 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

The chameleon suit only applies to the suit itself and not stuff attached. You could put stuff under it though it would make it harder to pull out.

What you're thinking about is ruthenium polymers and they will probably be re-introduced in either Augmentation or Arsenal but my bet is on Arsenal. Otherwise, I would just say 1000 :nuyen: per item or something like that.

There's not anything in the main book that are like Jaffa helmet (the ones on the Horus guards from Stargate, right?) but there's nothing stopping you from making one. I'd do it kinda like the helmet from Lost in Space that Matt LeBlanc's character had. Just a largeish metal collar that works on wireless signal that allows bulletproof metal bands to retract or expand around the head. Just use the stats for the helmet and double the price or something for the elaborate mechanics involved.

+Quote Post
Panda Bear
post Jun 29 2007, 04:40 AM
Post #3

Target

Oooh, thank you for the help with the Jaffa-like helmet. I just think it would be really BA to have a helmet like that on a chameleon suit.

And ruthenium polymers make items have the same chameleon-like property as the suit?

Also, I still need help with turning it off. Can it be turned off? Also, what would it look like if it were turned off? Would it be a set appearance, or could I choose the color by programming it each time?

+Quote Post
WhiskeyMac
post Jun 29 2007, 04:48 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,789

I'm thinking the suit will probably be either a dull grey/metallic color or maybe you could buy it with a generic "off" color. Maybe like a primer gray or something.

Yeah, ruthenium polymers would give whatever it's covering the properties of the chameleon suit. Including the perception modifiers.

I would highly recommend Thermal Dampening on your chameleon suit though. Someone with Thermographic Vision could pick you out easily without the Dampening. It may jack the price of the suit up but it's worth it's weight in gold.

+Quote Post
Panda Bear
post Jun 29 2007, 04:52 AM
Post #5

Target

Oh yeah, trust me, I planned on it.

The way my character is set up is going to be badass.

You know the old line, "You won't see me, but I'll see you?" He'll have awesome perception and amazing stealth qualities. Also good with blades and archery. ^^ But thermal dampening is a must for the chameleon suit.

+Quote Post
Demon_Bob
post Jun 29 2007, 05:19 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,226

Scene from a game once.

GM to chameleon suit guy, "Roll hearing Perception."
Guy, "Woot 4 hits"
GM, "You hear the guards wispering,'Why is that tool kit floating in mid-air?'."

You might want to ask your GM about the cost of a chameleon backpack with remote off, so you can carry some stuff that is just to big to fit under the suit.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Jun 29 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

The trick with gear and a Chameleon suit is, well say its in a small back pack. Keep your back to the wall as you sneak around. Like you actually MIGHT do if you were sneaking around as opposed to simply waking like the suit makes you invisible it doesn't

It just makes you really hard to spot visually.

My own character has taken a liking to Chameleon suit + gecko gloves + monowhip.
Which equals silent if not messy death.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jun 29 2007, 06:32 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Ruthenium polymer change color. There is the 'cheap' polymer and the 'expensive' polymer. The cheap one can do basic colors and patterns, and plenty of clothes, wigs, etc are made with it. It takes 'a few minutes' to complete the color change, iirc. The expensive one can do the change in real time. That's how the suit works, afterall. If you wanted to you could program the suit to have any appearance you wanted it to. You could get it to display TV it you wanted to.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jun 29 2007, 06:43 AM
Post #9

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

You could always specilizae in unamed combat, sacrifice some essence to get a Ruthenium dermal sheath, and always go around naked. Unfortunately, the Dermal Sheath isn't in SR4 yet, but it would be easy enough to convert from SR3 until Augmentation comes out.

+Quote Post
Sterling
post Jun 29 2007, 09:45 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,885

The chameleon suit is ruthenium polymer. The description on page 316 is pretty clear.

It's not too hard to imagine pass-through pockets on the suit, kept shut with velcro or (for total stealth) small magnets. This would let you reach into the suit and into a pocket.

I'm really surprised they put it in the game right off the bat, with a little effort and a good commlink, you could have the thing look like an Urban Explorer jumpsuit until you triggered it to go into proper stealth mode.

+Quote Post
Panda Bear
post Jun 29 2007, 10:50 PM
Post #11

Target

Heh, I can't wear my chameleon suit in town now anyway, since I put thermal dampening on it.

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Jun 30 2007, 01:51 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,659

I'm pretty sure it's fully programmable. You could make it anything from safety-glare orange to displaying a scene from your favourite trid show.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jun 30 2007, 02:52 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Dancer)
I'm pretty sure it's fully programmable. You could make it anything from safety-glare orange to displaying a scene from your favourite trid show.

You mean like the NPC I have that has his jacket display an image of a line of a bunch of himself, arms linked, doing dance kicks?

+Quote Post
Sterling
post Jun 30 2007, 08:08 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Keep in mind the chameleon suit (with thermal dampeners) and a decent infiltration skill means drones have a hell of a time spotting you. I've pointed out how it's not unlikely that corporations (especially Lone Star) would utilize drones to patrol most areas. But with average sensors of 3 and a clearsight soft of 3... that's not a very high pool to try and detect a (meta)human signature.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Jun 30 2007, 09:56 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

QUOTE (Sterling @ Jun 30 2007, 03:08 AM)
Keep in mind the chameleon suit (with thermal dampeners) and a decent infiltration skill means drones have a hell of a time spotting you. I've pointed out how it's not unlikely that corporations (especially Lone Star) would utilize drones to patrol most areas. But with average sensors of 3 and a clearsight soft of 3... that's not a very high pool to try and detect a (meta)human signature.

If they are using a select sound filter to tune our ambient noise and a mic then its all on not making sound to avoid them. Of course, if a spell is used to make you magically silent then at that point it gets really really tough to spot the runners with drones...

+Quote Post
Sterling
post Jun 30 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (Dancer @ Jun 29 2007, 09:51 PM)

You mean like the NPC I have that has his jacket display an image of a line of a bunch of himself, arms linked, doing dance kicks?

So the Steven Wright joke about "I want to get a tattoo of myself on my entire body, only taller" takes on a whole new meaning. If the device is able to take an image from one side and project it on the other side, then there's nothing preventing a troll wearing it to project the image of a dwarf, or an elf, or.. whatever. As long as it is smaller than you, you theoretically could display it as a semi static image and have the rest of your outline be picked up by the sensors.

This might be combined with a better program for your commlink that could give it some random actions (nose scratching, breathing, nodding, etc) so it wouldn't be like watching a cardboard cutout moving around.

But it does bring up some interesting ideas, huh? I wouldn't rule it would be accurate enough to impersonate someone well enough to fool a close up inspection, but the RAW does mention your average armor jacket can display complex images, so the chameleon suit would have to be able to do that as well, at the very least.

+Quote Post
savantt
post Jul 1 2007, 09:35 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 11,956

Hey, if somone's allready said this, I apologise, but I scanned the replys and didn't see it...

If you read the first chapter-into Fiction in 'Runner Havens', the character turns on the Chamelion Suit half way through...Meaning there is definately an On/Off Switch of some form.

Like these guys said, what it looks like while on/off is up to you, it seems...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.