> - Shadowrun Adventures -, Adventures for Shadowrun
Synner667
post Jul 1 2007, 05:40 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,753

Hi,

Although I like SR, in general, there's one thing that I find problematical.

There seem to be NO Shadowrun adventures being produced.

There are lots of sourcebooks being produced, but nothing for Players to actually do..
..Ways to get new people in, but very little for them to do once there - apart from read rules, and write their own scenarios.

Plot hooks, sourcebooks with adventures in them or adventures available via 3rd parties [or via the SR website] don't really count.

There were lots of scenarios produced for SR1-2 and a few produced for SR3..
..But that was several years ago [and yes, I know many of them are available as PDFs].

Is there anyway we can get whoever now owns SR now to actually get some made and sold ??

This isn't just a personal matter [I use source material from all over the place, as well as using scenarios from all the place], but as something that might affect the longterm survivability of SR as a whole..
..After all, is it a coincidence that AD&D has lots of scenarios and a good market share, whilst Traveller had almost no scenarios [bar the original ones] and died off.

Obviously, the above is a simplification, but the message is that without SR scenarios, SR won't do as well as it could.

Any thoughts ??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 1 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Have a good time:
Shadowrun Missions

+Quote Post
Synner667
post Jul 1 2007, 05:46 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,753

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Jul 1 2007, 05:44 PM)
Have a good time:
Shadowrun Missions

I take it you don't consider those to be 3rd party scenarios or on the SR website..
..Which is unfortunate [and indicates you didn't read my post very well], and they aren't scenarios that you can buy in the shops - and therefore proving the point I'm making about SR not producing scenarios.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 1 2007, 05:53 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Oh, sorry. hehe... This is what happens when you skim entries. My apologies. :embarrassed:

Personally, I would prefer that they continue with the route that they're taking; the missions are free, the books are not, and they're coming out with regularity, and I'm sure that more missions will be coming up the pipe soon (we did have On The Run last year, and while it did have some errors and was overkill for a beginner group, it was still decent).

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jul 1 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #5

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...Before Catalyst took over the Shadowrun property, Fanpro mentioned that they were not looking for submissions of new run modules at the time (the term "Adventure" is more fitting for that "game that shell not be mentioned here"). So far, only On the Run has been released, though I understand there are to be some ideas for run hooks in Emergence as there were in System Failure. With the change in ownership It is hard to say if new run modules may come out in the future. Right now, Catalyst appears to be primarily interested in getting more source materials out first to expand the game beyond the original core rules.

As for any new SR3 run modules, most likely there will be no more unless some enterprising third party comes along. However, with the release of SR4 even this seems but a remote possibility. First of all, there is a licensing issue. Even to use the name "Shadowrun" on a module, not much less any of the SR canon, will require negotiating terms with the owning party (Catalyst). Obviously the real marketing push is for SR4, so I would see them reluctant to authourise any new "pre-crash" materials as they have no interest in maintaining the older edition line.

This leaves it to "on line" offerings such as Missions and "homegrown" runs that those of us submit links to through DS.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Jul 1 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

QUOTE (Synner667)
they aren't scenarios that you can buy in the shops - and therefore proving the point I'm making about SR not producing scenarios.

I'm probably a little too defensive since I sort of spearhead the Missions effort, but I'm not sure why you're dismissing these so lightly. What advantage would you get from buying these in shops?

They're playable adventures. You get a new one every month. (We've released a new one every month since 3/06.) They're free. They include maps and handouts. If you really want them in hardcopy, PrintFu will be more than happy to print and spiral bind them for less than you'd pay for a 64 page adventure in a shop.

If you haven't read or played them, there are 16 SR4 adventures out there now. Last time I checked the full compilation was well over 300 pages. We've had well over 120,000 Downloads of those adventures.

If you've got a specific complaint against them, please drop me a PM, post it in a forum where I can see it, or send me an e-mail ( ShadowrunMissions@gmail.com ). I'm very open to feedback.

+Quote Post
TheMadDutchman
post Jul 2 2007, 02:21 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,950

I don't see the production of modules as being necessary to the survival of a game line.

There are a lot of games that thrive well without releasing modules. The World of Darkness is an excellent example of that. They release a lot of source and story material but they don't release modules.

I think that the current approach to shadowrun is a good one. Putting out free modules on the internet is good because having access to the free material actually encourages otherwise stingy gamers (like me) to spend money on the actual source and plot material. I haven't bought street magic or emergence yet but I will by the time I'm actually running my SR game plus whatever other material is out by then.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jul 2 2007, 03:17 AM
Post #8

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

I'm pretty sure SR has turned away from straigth-up modules in favour of "idea books" like System Failure and Emergence. I don't think modules sell well, as they are pretty limited in scope. You run THAT mission and that's it. If you're not interested in the mission synopsis, you don't buy the book.

But idea books have a bigger market. Firstly, they detail the metaplot, so it's of interest to most SR fans. Second, they pack A LOT more ideas than a single mission book. Most GMs can handle making a few maps and a few NPCs to flesh out a given idea.

It's really just a marketing thing. And as tangently pointed out, the community can produce modules perfectly well on it's own, so no need for the developers to step in and make their own.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Jul 2 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #9

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

I'll add that whenever the topic of Printed Adventure Modules came up before, it was pointed out that they did not sell very well. Consider a gaming group. Only the GM and those players that collect all SR product are likely to be interested in the purchase of the printed adventure. Ok, and the metagaming player that feels the need to cheat.

Also, there are problems with printed adventure modules, like the aforementioned power level of On the Run. I think I have every adventure ever published for SR, and I can point out several of them that have holes in them when one tries to run them. Some require a big plot hammer to get the players to follow anything resembling the predicted route the printed material takes. Others contain NPCs that are illegal according to the rules, or that make little sense, or that mistook how the rules read. Just look at the vampire character with cyberware and off the charts Quickness due to the creator figuring the run multiplier was an Attribute multiplier for that critter. Weapons with silencers and gas vents, NPCs unable to take advantage of smartlinked weapons carrying smartlinked weapons, etc..

Nearly all printed adventures need tweaked in some way. (I will give props to the SR Missions guys for giving many ways of doing this well, at least as far as all the scenarios I have played through.)

There is also the problem of creating scenarios that are going to be of interest to a wide audience that do not come off as generic.

Lastly, there is a bit of elitism among GMs who would rather create their own adventures than run a printed one. So one of the main marketing targets is not even interested in the product, further hurting sales.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Jul 2 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #10

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

QUOTE (Backgammon)
I'm pretty sure SR has turned away from straigth-up modules in favour of "idea books" like System Failure and Emergence. I don't think modules sell well, as they are pretty limited in scope. You run THAT mission and that's it. If you're not interested in the mission synopsis, you don't buy the book.

Yeah, with SR being so... well 'something', its fairly hard to write a stock run for anyone.
My normal example is WotC. The 'easy' on in there has goons with 4-6 karma pool, which is quite a bit more then my players have. I'm liking the 'Idea books', they allow me to creating something custom for MY players.
The SR missions guys do a really good job with things that may not be as world altering as some of the stuff from Super Tuesday, but they are far more solid and usable.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 3 2007, 02:10 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I remember having had serious WTF moments reading some 1st edition modules I'd purchased from a comic store out of personal curiosity. I forgot the title of the module but there was one where the PCs had to abduct members of a rock band so they could play music in some evil ritual. One of the band members was in a convienience store that was guarded by wolves which stayed inside the store after it was closed. :( I also remember an encounter with guys on motorcycles who had assault cannons mounted in the nose of each motorcycle. :(

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 3 2007, 03:42 AM
Post #12

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Total Eclipse

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Jul 3 2007, 03:58 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 10,215

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
I also remember an encounter with guys on motorcycles who had assault cannons mounted in the nose of each motorcycle. :(

...I want an assault cannon in the nose of my motorcycle... :D

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 3 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Total Eclipse

Christ, man, can you imagine a convienience store keeping wolves? Think of all the issues that would arise. Negative impact on customer relations. You'd have to keep the wolves out of your meat products. You'd have to constantly sweep up animal hairs. If the wolves never leave your store and you let them loose for security every night it means every morning you'd have to clean up the wolf pee and wolf poo before your first customers show up. You'd also probably have to deal with the psychological weirdness of wolves that are confined to your store for their whole lives. What a terrible idea.

Some people read this post over my shoulder and they described wolves in a convienience store as "imaginative".

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 3 2007, 06:34 AM
Post #15

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I suppose that they're house-trained and have a little self-flushing dog-toilet in the back of the store. That'd deal with the pee and poop mess. The biggest advantage that wolves present over other security systems is the automatic, safe, and environmentally-friendly disposal of burglar-bodies. The wolves will eat any intruder's corpse, leaving only half-chewed cyberware and a bit of blood for the staff to clean up.

Of course, it is highly impractical to have man-eating wolves as a security system, but it does have a certain style. Certainly, it is better than an alligator-moat.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 02:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.