Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shapechange to metahuman form?, Runners who aren't into bestiality
Buster
post Jul 3 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,869

I have a character who has Raven as a mentor spirit and I would prefer to use Shapechange instead of Physical Mask for disguises. In addtion to the obvious desire for the +2 bonus, I like the idea of changing my form, but not my clothes, requiring me to steal someone's clothes or cast a quick Fashion spell.

Can you use Shapechange to transform into a metahuman form? It lists critters, but I can't think of a reason why you couldn't turn into a human or a troll. If anything, I would think it would be easier to turn into a humaniod than a bird or an insect...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Jul 3 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,659

I wouldn't allow it as-written because of the +1 to all physical attributes per hit thing. The major limitation on Shapechange at the moment is the lack of hands and inability to use any equipment (including armor), removing these limitations would be unbalancing and remove the need for the Increase (Physical) Attribute spells.

+Quote Post
Jack Kain
post Jul 3 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,630

You could created an alternate spell that simply adds hits onto your disguise test, rather then to your Attributes. So say an elf shaman can make himself look like a troll and maybe get the +1 reach. But they'll get there arm snapped off if they try an arm wrestle a real one.

+Quote Post
Solkari
post Jul 3 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 4,820

I have a player who wanted to do the reverse. He's a troll kannushi who wants to look human. We eventually put together a caster only "Human Form" manipulation spell, that makes him look the same way he would if he were human, and includes a limited levitation so he has the weight of a human, rather than troll. He still has the same mass and looks like a troll on the astral, but the casual observer won't be able to tell.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Jul 3 2007, 02:34 PM
Post #5

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Dancer)
I wouldn't allow it as-written because of the +1 to all physical attributes per hit thing. The major limitation on Shapechange at the moment is the lack of hands and inability to use any equipment (including armor), removing these limitations would be unbalancing and remove the need for the Increase (Physical) Attribute spells.

That's hardly a limitation. Change into a chimp, or other roughly metahuman-sized primate. You keep your hands, you can find armor that fits, you get boosted physical attributes, AND you can throw feces at people. Well, I suppose you could do that before, but being a giant monkey makes it somewhat more acceptable, I think.

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Jul 5 2007, 04:56 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,659

Now I picture a Librarian-like mage with a force-6 Orang-utan Form spell quickened on them.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jul 5 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

To me I have always allowed it.

While this addition 'doesn't' previous editions always included (meta)-humans in the 'critters' sections with the normal base stats.

(Meta)humans are 'critters'!

Yes Shapechange CAN replace Improve Physical stats spells; hwoever, there is one big big semi-house rule I will use to prevent.

Addicition. Mikey's Strength Spell, Is fairly safe to run 24x7x365 with little chance of addiction even at high force levels.

Shapechange (IMO) is a very addicted spell, and can lead to the loss of one's own indiviuality to the 'alternate'. If used for the occasional disguise and/or at very low force (force 1-2) then it is pretty safe.

If you refuse to go out of the house with out donning a force-6 Chuck Norris form, then rest assured spell addiction is going to raise it's ugly head and you are going to start taking some pretty heavy penalities when NOT in shapechanged form, and likely some even when shapechanged (though likely offset by the wonderful bonuses).

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 5 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Dancer @ Jul 4 2007, 11:56 PM)
Now I picture a Librarian-like mage with a force-6 Orang-utan Form spell quickened on them.

Is his partner played by Clint Eastwood?

If we're going to get a [Metahuman] Form spell, then I'd strongly suggest combining it with Endowment:Sapience and Empower Animal: Linguistics. This way, runners who aren't into bestiality can join the First Church of Zoophilla and marry their pets without feeling icky.

As for the original concept, it has been impossible in all editions because it would essentially be an unresistable version of Physical Mask. Then nothing would stop you from disguising yourself as Damien Knight, tossing the real DK into a closet, and taking complete control of Ares.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Jul 5 2007, 05:11 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

QUOTE (laughingowl @ Jul 5 2007, 04:27 AM)
To me I have always allowed it.

While this addition 'doesn't' previous editions always included (meta)-humans in the 'critters' sections with the normal base stats.

(Meta)humans are 'critters'!

Yes  Shapechange CAN replace Improve Physical stats spells; hwoever, there is one big big semi-house rule I will use to prevent.

Addicition.  Mikey's Strength Spell,  Is fairly safe to run 24x7x365 with little chance of addiction even at high force levels.

Shapechange (IMO) is a very addicted spell, and can lead to the loss of one's own indiviuality to the 'alternate'.  If used for the occasional disguise and/or at very low force (force 1-2)  then it is pretty safe.

If you refuse to go out of the house with out donning a force-6 Chuck Norris form, then rest assured spell addiction is going to raise it's ugly head and you are going to start taking some pretty heavy penalities when NOT in shapechanged form, and likely some even when shapechanged (though likely offset by the wonderful bonuses).

I love the houserule of Shapechange being an addictive spell, especially an addiction for a particular form. I like the common stories where you change into a wolf/bird/fish too much, eventually you won't ever want to change back. The addiction rules are perfect for that.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 5 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Buster)
I love the houserule of Shapechange being an addictive spell, especially an addiction for a particular form. I like the common stories where you change into a wolf/bird/fish too much, eventually you won't ever want to change back. The addiction rules are perfect for that.

There's also the option from Animorphs (which, aside from the ending, was an overall awesome story) that if you spend too much time in one form... you're stuck and can't change back, period.

+Quote Post
Darkest Angel
post Jul 6 2007, 07:05 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,062

In SSG Androgine uses Shapechange as a Sex-Change spell, so why not?

+Quote Post
Cochise
post Jul 6 2007, 07:18 PM
Post #12

Mr. Quote-function

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,376

QUOTE (Dancer)

Ugh ...

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Jul 6 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

QUOTE (Darkest Angel)

Then again, that was SR 3, and it was always dodgy to define if it were possible to do that.

Though I wouldn't exclude specific shapechange spells that can really change you into another metahuman. It's easily done in SR 4th edition.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jul 6 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
As for the original concept, it has been impossible in all editions because it would essentially be an unresistable version of Physical Mask. Then nothing would stop you from disguising yourself as Damien Knight, tossing the real DK into a closet, and taking complete control of Ares.

Wrong!

Nothing in the spells says you can look like a SPECIFIC critter.

An imprentable 'not you' would be possible. Heck nothing even says you would look 'normal' you very likely be a perfect 'generic human' which may not even look actually real (since almost all of us have 'flaws').

Now Tiger form, few people are going to be:
1) Familiar enough with tiger bodies to recognize the difference between an absolute 'generic' tiger and a normal tiger.
2) Few people are going to look close enough to notice, EVEN if they had the above knowledge.

Now 'Human' form, though is different.
1) Human regularly distringuish one from another, by slight imperfections / differences. While a Dragon might have problems (by sight) telling one human from another, Human do it all the time.
2) As a (meta)Human, it is far more likely there will be times people scruntinize you are realize that you look more like a CGI generate 'perfect' human, rather then Joe Average.

Nothing in shapechange says you could impersonate: Peggy the Pregenant Panda that is getting to do a photo-op with the mayor... You might be a Panda, but nothing says you could look like a particular panda. (Now Panda form, Physical Mask, and extended masking (to hide the spells) might work well.)

Now shapechange (metahuman) is a very good way to hide 'yourself' it will blur any sight based (and more then likely scent based) means of identifing you, though it does leave (normally) a nice notiable aura, the risk of being disrupted / dispelled with possible painful results. (and if used regularly a good candidate for addiction).

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jul 6 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Buster)

Thanks buster.

I generally feel addiction or other 'logical' penalties are the preferred way to deal with potential issues.

I would much rather allow something, but give enough drawbacks, to balance it then out-rght disallow it, save for when it clearly does not fit the setting.

And in SR, we have had other use shape-change to appear as meta-humans / chagne gender / etc.

So Elf form, I really dont see as 'out of setting'. So I would want to allow it, yet there is a large potential for abuse.

Addiction issues is the perfect way to settle this (IMO), since it allows the occasional 'oh crap' but if abused I get to abuse the player back just as hard.

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jul 6 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

One house rule change to shapechange that help with balance (IMO) immensly.

Instead of each net hit adds one to ALL stats.

Each net hit allow one to be added to A stat.

so say we have generic animal B-3.Q-3,R-3.S-3

If we shape change into generic animal with 6 hits.

Instead of 9 for all stats.

We could chose.

Body 9 (all others 3) to help with soak directly.

or

Reaction 9 (all others 3) to help with avoiding getting hit

or Body 6 all other 5s (spread out approach), etc.

Shapechange is still great for disguise / infilatraion / possible extra's (flight, water breathing, other naturual abilities), and is a 'buff' spell but becomes far more inline with the existing buff spells, rather then one spell potentially adding +6 to all physical stats.

+Quote Post
Darkest Angel
post Jul 7 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Particle_Beam)
QUOTE (Darkest Angel @ Jul 6 2007, 02:05 PM)

Then again, that was SR 3, and it was always dodgy to define if it were possible to do that.

Though I wouldn't exclude specific shapechange spells that can really change you into another metahuman. It's easily done in SR 4th edition.

Just providing a canon reference from a sourcebook. SR3 it may be, but it's source material rather than printed rules, so still imho valid.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 7 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #18

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

We don't really know what spell Androgine had quickened, if he/she/shi/it knew enough to tell the difference between Shapechange and Physical Mask (or even a custum gender-altering spell), or if he was being honest. People make stuff up on the internet Matrix all the time. You don't all think that I'm really an 32JJ 18-year-old lesbian lingerie model who shaves everything below her waist, do you?

Mechanically, using Shapechange or [Critter] Form to assume a metahuman guise is impossible. It was so in SR3, as well. It was not intended to be a substitute for Physical Mask or attribute enhancements. If you choose to treat it as such, then it is your game; I can't tell you how to play.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 7 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
You don't all think that I'm really an 32JJ 18-year-old lesbian lingerie model who shaves everything below her waist, do you?

...yes...

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 7 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

SSG did have printed rules in it.

+Quote Post
Darkest Angel
post Jul 8 2007, 11:29 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tarantula)
SSG did have printed rules in it.

Yes it did, but the reference is from the fluff bit, fluff is still valid. If you want to say no to it, that's fine, it's your game you interpret the rules as you see fit. Personally, I have no issue with it, there's a canon reference to it being done, and it's not exactly game breaking; the spell still needs sustaining and you neeed to buy new clothing/armour to go with it.

Same with physical mask, there's reference in UB where they use it to disguise themselves as guards; again it's a none issue to me if they want to use it to do that.

+Quote Post
Synner667
post Jul 8 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,753

QUOTE (Dancer)

OOOK !!

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Jul 10 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Mechanically, using Shapechange or [Critter] Form to assume a metahuman guise is impossible. It was so in SR3, as well. It was not intended to be a substitute for Physical Mask or attribute enhancements. If you choose to treat it as such, then it is your game; I can't tell you how to play.

How do you get this?

SR4 we dont have the all the books. (Atleast I dont have a 'critter' book yet, though dont have the SR4 DM screen so dont know if it came with one).

But SR3:

Spells says it allows the shape of any non-paranormal critter.

Right next to 'standard animals' in the 'Critters' book for SR3 it gives: Standard Meta-human types.

(meta)Humans are critters / animals.

Now the only possible question is are the paranormal critters.... which I would say base line meta(humanity) is not, Ghouls / Vampires and other infected (meta)humans I would consider paranormal.

But humans are listed in the critters book (for SR3) thus Humans are critters, thus shapechange into human is perfectly valid in SR3 raw.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.