Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dual nature, Fighting physically in an astral world
Talia Invierno
post Jul 4 2007, 05:56 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,689

For astral projection, the mental attributes replace the physical ones.

What about dual-natured combat? Does the dual-natured critter or assensing adept use mental attributes, or physical?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Jul 4 2007, 06:07 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

Physical.

Here's the exact quotation.
Astral combat is resolved in the same way as physical combat. Astrally perceiving and dual natured characters use their Physical attributes and skills to fight opponents with a physical body, and their Willpower + Astral Combat skill to fight wholly astral entities. Astrally projecting characters use their Mental attributes in place of Physical ones (see the Astral Attributes Table, above) along with the Astral Combat skill.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 4 2007, 06:55 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Gah. I looked and looked, and didn't find that. Where?

And actually, by that quote, wouldn't it be mental for astral combat? not in the same manner as full projection, but only allowing WL?

Btw, WL used to be an option for everyone in attacking spirits -- what's different? Besides the addition of the Astral Combat skill, that is.

+Quote Post
redne
post Jul 4 2007, 01:45 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 5,955

It seems to be SR4 p.184, under Astral Combat.

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Jul 4 2007, 01:56 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Well, it's on page 184, under the astral combat section.

The attack of will alternative against spirits is described in Street Magic, where you're pitting your willpower+banishing (if avaiable) against the spirits formidable combat abilities. Suffice to say that only mages should try to attempt it.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 4 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Particle_Beam @ Jul 4 2007, 08:07 AM)
Physical.

Here's the exact quotation.
Astral combat is resolved in the same way as physical combat. Astrally perceiving and dual natured characters use their Physical attributes and skills to fight opponents with a physical body, and their Willpower + Astral Combat skill to fight wholly astral entities. Astrally projecting characters use their Mental attributes in place of Physical ones (see the Astral Attributes Table, above) along with the Astral Combat skill.

You mean 'Mental'.

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Jul 4 2007, 02:35 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Depends. We are talking about damage resistance tests, dodge and the damage attribute while you're dual or only astraly perceiving, I guess, which are still physical.

+Quote Post
tehbighead
post Jul 5 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 11,788

if you are using your astrally-perceiving meatbody to attack a projected target, it would be mental. if it's a-p meat v. dual-natured target, it would be physical.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 5 2007, 03:15 AM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

It is as far as I know completely intentional that dual natured creatures can use Unarmed Combat + Agility to fight off astral forms. And no, it seriously doesn't say that anywhere. The discussion of dual creatures was cut from Street Magic because it "fit better" in Running Wild.

But while the book says outright that a hellhound would have to make a Willpower + Astral Combat check to attack an astral form, which it can't do under any circumstances because it doesn't have Astral Combat and that skill is no-default, that is not how it is supposed to work. That is supposed to get cleared up in Running Wild.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 5 2007, 04:34 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

The hellhound example was what I did spot, and didn't understand how to apply it. I thought I was missing something obvious. At first, it was looking as though I was.

Hmm, isn't this one of those core mechanics things that ought to belong in a core rulebook? especially considering that anyone astrally perceiving is considered dual-natured?

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 5 2007, 04:47 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Talia Invierno)
The hellhound example was what I did spot, and didn't understand how to apply it. I thought I was missing something obvious. At first, it was looking as though I was.

Hmm, isn't this one of those core mechanics things that ought to belong in a core rulebook? especially considering that anyone astrally perceiving is considered dual-natured?

Yes. I nominated it for errata actually, but apparently it's going to be handled in Running Wild.

-Frank

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 5 2007, 05:23 AM
Post #12

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

http://www.amazon.com/Techniques-Astral-Co...s/dp/0595215122 :D

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 5 2007, 05:26 AM
Post #13

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Awesome hyzmarca! That should help loads. I do wonder which edition of rules it addresses though.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
Your name is Toby

No it isn't. It's Ben silly. :P

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:23 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.