IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spirit Volume, Is pillowpants possible?
hyzmarca
post Jul 4 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #1

Midnight Toker

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,456

So, I'm wondering what is the minimum (and maximum) volume that a materialized spirit of a certain force can occupy. I ask this question because there are many potential uses for a very small but very powerful spirit, including the one referred to in the topic description. A bound Task spirit could, for example, live inside an automobile engine and repair it on the fly if it could materialize within the tiny space.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 4 2007, 08:13 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

you are a monster.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 4 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

There was very nearly going to be a statement of this in Street Magic, but it was felt that a lot of people wouldn't understand what "30 liters" meant. But yeah, your spirit is at least 10 liters per force. And no more than 60 liters per force.

An average human, for comparison, is 70 liters.

-Frank

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 4 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #4

Midnight Toker

Well, that's just depressing. But, I suppose that we could create a pillowpants using a Possession (or Inhabitation) spirit and a small troll-shaped homunculus.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 4 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #5

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
There was very nearly going to be a statement of this in Street Magic, but it was felt that a lot of people wouldn't understand what "30 liters" meant.

That's why we have SI units: dm³. :P

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 4 2007, 10:23 AM
Post #6

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

10 liters still makes Pillowpants a possibility, with some girls.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 4 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #7

Midnight Toker

QUOTE (Critias @ Jul 4 2007, 05:23 AM)
10 liters still makes Pillowpants a possibility, with some girls.

What women are you dating!? Where are these girls that have 2.64 gallon capacity vaginas? :proof:

Now, I've see some videos made by one Denni O and friends but, while truly prodigious in size, those do not come anywhere near to 10 liters and they're giant insertion professionals.

+Quote Post
odinson
post Jul 4 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,383

yeah, thats 2 1/2 milk jugs. thats bigger than most babies.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 4 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Wow, it's almost like I was making a joke or something, huh?

+Quote Post
Big D
post Jul 7 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

Hmmm.

So does this preclude giving your ally a housefly form for materialized sneaking?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 7 2007, 08:33 PM
Post #11

Hoppelhäschen 5000

No, it doesn't.

It just would be quite a large housefly... and isn't a really good idea otherwise, either.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 7 2007, 08:40 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
No, it doesn't.

It just would be quite a large housefly... and isn't a really good idea otherwise, either.

Yeah, does Immunity to Normal Weapons work against fly swatters? Afterall, it's not a normal weapon... :D

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 7 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #13

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Sure - but when people see large Insects buzzing around, they tend get a tad nervous...

+Quote Post
Sterling
post Jul 7 2007, 09:05 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,885

I'm still trying to figure out how an ally spirit can materialize into a working motorcycle, a la 'Burning Time'.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 7 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #15

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Artistic Licence.

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Jul 8 2007, 02:36 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

Though with the example of the ally spirit materializing into a toaster and being even able to copy the function of toasting bread, the writers seem to have maken the motorcycle-materialization-spirit more valid... Which I rather see as a bad thing... :S

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Jul 9 2007, 02:03 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
There was very nearly going to be a statement of this in Street Magic, but it was felt that a lot of people wouldn't understand what "30 liters" meant. But yeah, your spirit is at least 10 liters per force. And no more than 60 liters per force.

An average human, for comparison, is 70 liters.

-Frank

I've actually stumbled upon a handy website for this sort of thing.

Convert-Me.com

Incredibly handy (particularly when I come accross documents where the author forgot to include the units on some measurement. /scowl.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Jul 9 2007, 03:09 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
But yeah, your spirit is at least 10 liters per force. And no more than 60 liters per force.

Source?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 9 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Wasabi)
QUOTE (FrankTrollman @ Jul 4 2007, 04:15 AM)
But yeah, your spirit is at least 10 liters per force. And no more than 60 liters per force.

Source?

he's a freelancer who did a lot of the work on street magic. he *is* the source, so to speak =P

(that doesn't make the information official, it just gives you an idea of what they were thinking, and helps you keep things straight) =P

on a side note, this kinda/sorta (but not really) makes possession allies not quite so bad with the nerfbat beating they received... sorta... but not really...

+Quote Post
Halabis
post Jul 10 2007, 02:02 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,773

QUOTE (Jaid)
he's a freelancer who did a lot of the work on street magic. he *is* the source, so to speak =P

(that doesn't make the information official, it just gives you an idea of what they were thinking, and helps you keep things straight) =P

on a side note, this kinda/sorta (but not really) makes possession allies not quite so bad with the nerfbat beating they received... sorta... but not really...

It doesnt give you an idea of what "they" were thinking. It gives you an idea of what "he" was thinking. Frank's ideas about Shadowrun often differ significantly from what the developers ideas are, and what cannon is. It drives me up the wall that he constantly misrepresents his house rules and biases as actual rules and factual setting information.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 10 2007, 02:48 AM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

frank has always been quite clear on the source for his information. he doesn't ever say "this is official", he much more often says "here's some things that were considered, here's why it was considered, and here's why it didn't make it in".

in fact, i have never seen frank claim any of his houserules to be official, or even to imply that any of his houserules were official.

perhaps you should try not making up what frank says, and you'll find it to be more reasonable.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jul 10 2007, 03:06 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I have to agree with Jaid on this. I have never seen Frank misrepresent his house rules as official. He always takes pains to be quite specific.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 10 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #23

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Fortune)
I have to agree with Jaid on this. I have never seen Frank misrepresent his house rules as official. He always takes pains to be quite specific.

Thank you. I do try to keep a solid line between my personal play style, my opinions, and the opinions of Catalyst Game Labs.

In the case of spirit volume, it was on the table to give a solid size range for materialized spirits of 10-60 liters per Force point. This was bounced on the grounds that discussions of liters for human shaped objects was confusing to a sizable portion of people.

And there's a certain amount of truth to that. A 70 liter object that is shaped like a man stands about 170 cm tall - a perfectly respectable height all told. But a cube of 70 liters is only 41 cm on a side - it's something that a dwarf could seriously sit on. The sheer lack of volume that compact shapes like spheres and cubes actually have is quite non-intuitive for a lot of people.

So that's the reason that "spirit volume" didn't get a side bar in Street Magic. There was a write up of it with that seemingly simple guideline and it was cut because it seemed to confuse as many people as it enlightened. But if you were going to have such a guideline, that is what it would have been.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Zen Shooter01
post Jul 10 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,042

You definitely do not want Pillowpants in Shadowrun. Not only would it be terrible for everybody's sex lives, it would totally remodel the tactical side of the game if a force 5 earth spirit could be four inches tall. It could hide in a desk drawer. It would get huge pluses for stealth, as if the ability to switch in and out of the astral wasn't stealthy enough, and a strong argument could be made that it's size should impose penalties on attempts to attack it.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Jul 10 2007, 02:38 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (Zen Shooter01)
it would totally remodel the tactical side of the game if a force 5 earth spirit could be four inches tall. It could hide in a desk drawer. It would get huge pluses for stealth, as if the ability to switch in and out of the astral wasn't stealthy enough, and a strong argument could be made that it's size should impose penalties on attempts to attack it.

Possibly, it also might grant large bonuses in melee for opponents, due to lacking any reach.

I generally assume that spirits are human-sized, unless they have reach. If they have natural reach they are troll-sized or larger. I might consider allowing someone to summon small spirits, but giving appropriate penalties to stats (physical, move rate, combat, and mental) for the privilege.

Remember: If they're small on the physical plane then they're small on the astral plane, and mental stats are the physical stats of the astral plane. I might give them a bit more reaction or agility, that's their bonus to stealth right there, but it wouldn't be a good trade-off rate.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.