IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> An idea shamelessly stolen: good idea? (SPOILERS), From the forums. (SD's players keep out)
ShadowDragon8685
post Jul 6 2007, 03:29 AM
Post #1

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,445

Not the stealing of idea, we know it's always a good idea to steal someone's better idea.

The idea myself is that someone has been harassing someone known and beloved to the 'runner's fixer contact. The fixer wants them to pay, and pay badly; she will pay 1,000 :nuyen: for every week in which the runners manage to harass this person somehow. Making his life miserable, in those "Oh come the fuck on!" ways.

Meaning, no contact. If he ever sees a runner and suspects what they're up to, the deal's off. If the runners get him killed, directly or indirectly, or do him harm through their own direct actions, the deal's off. Getting others to beat him up is okay, as long as it's not by paying the others; IE: If they cause his car to malfunction and drive him to a Sons of Sauron meeting, (and he emerges alive), that's one thing. If they pay some Orks 250 :nuyen: to stomp him, that's another.

Basically, this is a funny way for the runners to pick up as much as 4,000 :nuyen: a month, and entertain me by being creative, while at the same time giving me fodder to post on the DSF for everyone to laugh at.

Is this a good idea? I want them to get creative, of course, not have him beat every week. I want him harassed, not hospitalized four times a month.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 6 2007, 03:31 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Hey, I'm stealing it, that's for sure, so I definitely think it's a good idea.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jul 6 2007, 04:45 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I suppose the biggest flaw is that many character types might not go for it. Some of them might object on the grounds of protecting their professional image. Others might not want to risk being picked up by the cops for malicious mischief since being picked up by the cops would entail a huge penalty for a runner.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 6 2007, 05:09 AM
Post #4

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I did this with a group of PCs I ran for. The job was "on the side", so they were still doing other jobs. But they had a hell of a lot of fun trying to one-up each other. Their target ended up having to move three times, get two new SINs, ended most of his personal relationships, was hugely in debt, and jobless by the end. Good times.

+Quote Post
VivianDQ
post Jul 6 2007, 05:33 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 11,787

Well since I'm in the campaign, and you didn't mention your players not reading this thread, I will say I'm glad your finally moving away from the whole pre-set missions thing, I hate those contruction box ones, and finally making your own runs.

On the negative side I'm pretty sure 4000 nuyen every month, split five ways, isn't worth very much of our time. Ok idea though, if I wanted to be difficult I will point out that my arrogant, stuffy, former corper isn't going to be very thrilled with something juvenille like this, though I'm not difficult :)

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 6 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #6

Uncle Fisty

Just find the right motivation for the run. The guy my team went after was stalking a good friend of a contact. The team was to make sure he was too busy. This doesn't have to be childish things like hiding dead fish in his house. You can do some interesting things with identity theft. Good way to get your corper that new commlink he's been wanting on someone else's credit.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jul 6 2007, 05:57 AM
Post #7

Horror

ARRRRRRRGH!

It's... Ugh. KILL! KILL, CRUSH'N MAIM PLAYERS READING SPOILERTHREADS!

That said... Anyway, Viv, we're rebooting the campaign, so if you want to think about a change of character, now's the time.

And Fisty's right. You can do anything to this schmuck short of having him killed or being spotted. Just keep him harassed.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 6 2007, 08:03 AM
Post #8

Uncle Fisty

Well it's not really a spoiler thread unless you say it is in the title. ;)

That being said, would you like me to edit that in?

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jul 6 2007, 09:21 AM
Post #9

Horror

Please.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Jul 6 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

I think it would be really interesting if this guy everyones picking on ends up being someone really important. Maybe like an immortal elf. Just kidding, I couldn't resist the opportunity. Seriously though, maybe he could be the big shot of a local street gang or a VP/President of a notable corp. The important thing is that the players not know about it.

Lastly, one question, is this a campaign you guys play online?

EDIT: Another question. It would help to know where this new campaign is located. Maybe we could give things more specific to the location.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 6 2007, 12:09 PM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

I can't see how this can be done without involving fake personal ads on gay troll BSDM sites.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Jul 6 2007, 01:43 PM
Post #12

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Title edited.

Let me know if that doesn't work for you.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Jul 6 2007, 02:27 PM
Post #13

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

Mmmm, brings back memories... I can't recall where I read this, it's oooold, but my someone had once suggested the following:

If your target has a family (a wife, but preferably small children),post an add in the dirtiest, most disgusting fetish mag you can find. Write "Please call (number) at any time of the day or night and talk the dirtiest filth you can as soon as the line picks up, it gets me horny."

Ahh, good stuff.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 6 2007, 04:14 PM
Post #14

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (eidolon @ Jul 6 2007, 08:43 AM)
Title edited.

Thanks, I was sleepings. Mmmm....still early .. bed looks goood....

QUOTE (Eleazar)
I think it would be really interesting if this guy everyones picking on ends up being someone really important.

The game would be completely different if the target were ,say, Damon. All of a sudden it's a minor dragon proxy war.

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
can't see how this can be done without involving fake personal ads on gay troll BSDM sites

Then you'll be happy to know that our version was done to your expectations.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Jul 6 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0 @ Jul 6 2007, 11:14 AM)
QUOTE (Eleazar)
I think it would be really interesting if this guy everyones picking on ends up being someone really important.

The game would be completely different if the target were ,say, Damon. All of a sudden it's a minor dragon prozy war.

They aren't supposed to find out. I didn't say a AAA corp, though that could be done as well. I am assuming Shadowdragon would use his discretion to not put the PCs in over their heads. By Damon did you mean Damien? I am not familiar with Damon if one does exist.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 6 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #16

Uncle Fisty

No, not Damien Knight. Yeah, I agree that would very much change the scope of the game. Not to mention their chances of actually suceeding.

No I was referring to a dragon in DoSW commonly referred to as Damon. He tends to stay in human form and live in cities enjoying the nightlife.

+Quote Post
Gargs454
post Jul 6 2007, 04:31 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 9,490

I think its a good idea, but I also agree that if this becomes the main focus of the campaign for very long, your players will get bored with the relatively paltry sum they are being offered. It makes for a great use of downtime between runs though.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 6 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #18

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (Gargs454)
It makes for a great use of downtime between runs though.

Agreed. This was how we handled it. If it's focused on too much, it gets old fast. Especially for character types not really styled for this, like the previously mentioned ex-corper.

+Quote Post
Nerf'd
post Jul 6 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 12,075

Sometimes, it is the GM's JOB to put the players in over their heads.

Example: Players are contracted to steal a package from a 3-car armored convoy traveling from one z-zone to another. After one hell of a fight against a corporate guard team plus a prime runner, they realize that a stray shot has cracked the casing on their package. The TM in the group scans the package and realize there is a node inside, with 2 distinct parts: one part is a VERY sophisticated biomonitor, and the other has sent a simple message. The message reads "Breach", and lists GPS coordinates.

I like to call the rest of that session a lesson in abject terror - especially when they found out that they were carrying an engineered dragon's egg, based on tissue recovered from our old friend the Big D.

Oh, and the egg had started to bond to them...but that was a plot hook for another day.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jul 6 2007, 06:42 PM
Post #20

Horror

And when the rescue team arrived, it found the curious sight of an entire team of Shadowrunners, clustered around a box, dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

:)

Though having a dragon egg bound to you would be awesome, if you could survive.

+Quote Post
Nerf'd
post Jul 6 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #21

Target

That's one way it could go...

But I think that entirely too many SR players (AND GMs) take themselves entirely too seriously.

Let's just say that in amongst the terror, hilarity ensued - mostly when the PCs started flipping out about their eyesight getting better and old scars starting to fade.

Just remember children, laughter is the best medicine for massive psychological trauma

+Quote Post
Rifleman
post Jul 6 2007, 06:50 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,821

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 6 2007, 01:42 PM)
And when the rescue team arrived, it found the curious sight of an entire team of Shadowrunners, clustered around a box, dead from self-inflicted gunshot wounds.

:)

Rescue team? They tried to bomb us! And yes, we did get to live. After all, with our experiences, we were considered a.... unique asset to Ghostwalker. Heck of a way to retire a character.

Edit: Opps, the bit that was here was for the wrong topic. Ignore what was here. :P

+Quote Post
Nerf'd
post Jul 6 2007, 07:01 PM
Post #23

Target

At least you didn't get rebuilt at the genetic level.

All kidding and jokes from prior campaigns aside, don't be afraid to put your players in a situation where they quite literally CAN NOT just fight their way out.

Hell, I put Rifleman in a situation where he was facing a Lone Star assault squad, and he surprised the hell out of me by saying EXACTLY the right thing at the right time. It was incredible, and hilarious. I don't think anyone at the table could stop laughing for about 5 minutes - but its his story to tell.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jul 6 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #24

Horror

QUOTE (Nerf'd)

All kidding and jokes from prior campaigns aside, don't be afraid to put your players in a situation where they quite literally CAN NOT just fight their way out.

Hell, I put Rifleman in a situation where he was facing a Lone Star assault squad, and he surprised the hell out of me by saying EXACTLY the right thing at the right time. It was incredible, and hilarious. I don't think anyone at the table could stop laughing for about 5 minutes - but its his story to tell.

Rifleman, tell. Tell quickly.

Also, get on AIM. But after you tell.

+Quote Post
Rifleman
post Jul 6 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,821

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Jul 6 2007, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Nerf'd @ Jul 6 2007, 03:01 PM)

Hell, I put Rifleman in a situation where he was facing a Lone Star assault squad, and he surprised the hell out of me by saying EXACTLY the right thing at the right time.  It was incredible, and hilarious.  I don't think anyone at the table could stop laughing for about 5 minutes - but its his story to tell.

Rifleman, tell. Tell quickly.

After we have all officially surrendered "Sir, I am the senator's bodyguard, Sir!"

Lonestar, genuinely surprised, thinking I must be touched in the head. "Are you are ok?"

"The senator is in that building with a known mass murderer! Call his aide, (give number), he can confirm my security detail and equipment!"

Lonestar, to another Lonestar: "Something's not right about him."

"Sir, I am on combat drugs sir!"

Lonestar, talking to senators aide on the other line "Aw, shit. I so don't want to deal with this..."

By the end, they had given me back my highly illegal rifle, and were refusing to arrest me. They didn't want to political nightmare that was about to unfold anywhere near them. Something about them not wanting the senators death on their hands, since they had his security detail of a mage and a sniper in cuffs when he died at the hands of the mass murder previously mentioned.

In truth, we just wanted the shadowrunner gone bad dead and we were pseudo blackmailing the aide, since he had previously been covering up said nutcase since he was the source of the senators black beetles.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.