Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Small Unit Tactics
James McMurray
post Jul 7 2007, 06:18 AM
Post #1

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,957

Have the rules for small unit tactics skill checks to increase a group's initiative been officially updated for SR4?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 7 2007, 06:27 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

The active skill no longer exists. I don't know if that means it's coming up in future releases.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 7 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Small Unit Tactics is now a Specialization for the Leadership skill. I was hoping the rules had been folded into it but couldn't find anything.

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 7 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Honestly, given that the revisions deliberately vanished any non-enhanced chance of an IP greater than 1, I think they would also have seen the uses of this skill as a hole to be plugged. (I used it too.)

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jul 7 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Yeah, they appear to have nixxed it. They probably consider the "Professionalism rating" AKA Edge to be adequate for things like that. A sudden burst of inspiration leading to a devious tactic could certainly fall under Edge use, after all.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 7 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

it might still be used, just not for increasing IPs. that really never made much sense anyway.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Jul 8 2007, 02:05 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

Well, I allow players in my group to roll leadership as assistance. I.e. hits add to led runner's dice pool in next action if following lead. Of course, the leadership roll is a skill use so takes up an action. -"Run for the exit, Cross! Blackhand, take out those drones! " Roleplaying the queue adds a lot to the game too. It is not much, but at least it has a place in the rules-crunch.

Just my 0,2 :nuyen:

Cheers,
Max

+Quote Post
Method
post Jul 10 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #8

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

It seems to me that it would be pretty easy to come up with a mechanic for this within the current system.

Something that encorporates the mods for AR (BBB p.208) would be cool, like maybe roll your SUT Skill + Intuition modified by AR and each hit adds +1 to your initiative total. This is kind of how I envisioned Battletac in SR3 anyway.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jul 11 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

I agree with the two above posters. The simple solution would be to have the tactics skill be allowed as a teamwork test for the next round of initiative. It would of course require a complex action (Use Skill). The trick is to define a set of bonuses and penalties. Even for that there are some simple things that can already be borrowed such as the AR mods mentioned above, and things like visibility modifiers. Something for communication should be included also...

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 11 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

I agree too, but we stick to RAW whenever possible. If they happen to reprint the rules I'll pick up a skillsoft for the base skill if I don't have it already.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jul 11 2007, 02:43 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

I would say that what I suggested is RAW. RAW was designed to be flexible. It indicates how teamwork tests go, that tactics exists as a specialty, and all you have to do is fill in the holes. Consider it like running the Matrix. :D

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 11 2007, 05:32 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Just to clarify something - strategy and tactics are both specializations of the leadership skill, and were in SR3, too. Small unit tactics was originally a knowledge skill (the SR3 street samurai archetype had it), until Cannon Companion introduced it as a special active skill.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jul 19 2007, 07:36 PM
Post #13

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Probably worth noting: the rules for AR modifers (inset box on page 208) explicitly state:

QUOTE (SR4)
"The gamemaster determines the exact bonus, whether awarding extra dice to certain tests or appling an Initiative bonus to each meshed member of the team."

Emphasis mine. ;)

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 19 2007, 08:57 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that. I'll see about setting up something like that for my teammates. It could be especially useful in the even of a surprise attack, since my 19 perception dice are unlikely to be snuck up on, but nobody else has near that level of awareness.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 05:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.