Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New spell idea, Transmute Metal Into Wood
bibliophile20
post Jul 10 2007, 05:48 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

Inspired by the awesomeness that is Howard Taylor, I bring a spell inspired by one of his stories.

Transmute Metal into Wood (Manipulation)
Type: P Range: LOS Duration: S DV: (F/2)+3

Physical Spell +1
LOS +0
Sustained +0
Major Change +2

This spell transmutes metal into wood. Popular with druids and other nature-worshiping traditions (for obvious reasons), it is a really good way to drive eco-raping corps absolutely nuts. When targeted on gear or weapons, the spellcaster must beat the object's resistance threshold; when targeting cyberware, the spellcaster must win an Opposed Test against the target's Body (+Counterspelling) + the object's resistance threshold level (being a minimum of 4, with +1 for each grade of 'ware).

Not that the "wood" will still heavy and dense (close to its old mass), much like old growth oak, except that the "growth rings" will probably be circuit patterns.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Jul 10 2007, 06:22 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

If i remember correctly, selective targeting is not part of SR magic. So you can't turn someones ware into wood, you could only try to turn the whole guy into wood. Also, since it only effects metal you probably qualify for the selective target drain modifier.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 10 2007, 06:32 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Point; I'll edit that in.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 10 2007, 06:34 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Transmute Metal into Wood (Manipulation)
Type: P Range: LOS Duration: S DV: (F/2)+2

Physical Spell +1
LOS +0
Sustained +0
Major Change +2
Restricted Target -1

This spell transmutes metal into wood. Popular with druids and other nature-worshiping traditions (for obvious reasons), it is a really good way to drive eco-raping corps absolutely nuts. When targeted on gear or weapons, the spellcaster must beat the object's resistance threshold; it cannot target cyberware.

Not that the "wood" will still heavy and dense (close to its old mass), much like old growth oak, except that the "growth rings" will probably be circuit patterns.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Jul 10 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

I actually don't see any problem with it affecting cyberware. It targets the whole person, not just his 'ware, but its effect is inapplicable to all but his cyberware, by the nature of being a "metal to wood" effect. If the spell was simply "Turn to wood", then it would have to affect the whole person.

You would also want to note whether the effect alters the target's Armor and Structure.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 10 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

so ummm... how does this have negative impacts? if the material has the same physical properties, only it's now wood... doesn't that basically fall into the same category of doing stuff to stop the corporations as, say, spraypanting "corporations R dum" on their logging vehicles?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 10 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

not to mention Turn to Goo, which affects flesh but not 'ware.

+Quote Post
raphabonelli
post Jul 10 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 11,747

QUOTE (Jaid)
so ummm... how does this have negative impacts? if the material has the same physical properties, only it's now wood... doesn't that basically fall into the same category of doing stuff to stop the corporations as, say, spraypanting "corporations R dum" on their logging vehicles?

I guess that wood don't conduce eletricity... wood bullets don't spark, so they can't be fired from the gun. Wooden circuits are useless. And so on.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 10 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (Jaid)

Except now it's wood, meaning that it's flammable, able to be chopped, sliced and cut, and, oh yeah, try shooting a Ares Predator IV--much less a Panther Assault Cannon--that's partly or mostly wood, and shoots wooden bullets. Or how does changing that monofilament sword into something that would be at home in a kendo match sound? And wood doesn't have the same structural or material properties as metal--it splinters, not dents, for one, as it's much more brittle--so targeting a structural piece of a vehicle or building will rapidly cause damage there. And, just for giggles, imagine the rigger's reaction when his toys--the parts that aren't composite, which will still be a significant percentage--suddenly turn into firewood?

Not being able to think of negative impacts or uses just shows a lack of imagination; the next time you're up against a steel blast door and all you have is the mage with this spell and ignite... you'll be thankful.

And as for the cyberware targeting issue... honestly, I'm torn, personally, but I think I'll leave it at "non-targeting" because that would make it even more overpowering and doesn't quite fit in terms of the original concept. Does anyone have any more points on that, for or against?

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jul 10 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #10

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...street shaman goes out, casts the spell on a derelict 2062 Buick in an alleyway and the squatters have fuel for another bonfire to keep themselves warm. Nice spell.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 10 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #11

Running Target

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Jul 10 2007, 04:47 PM)
...street shaman goes out, casts the spell on a derelict 2062 Buick in an alleyway and the squatters have fuel for another bonfire to keep themselves warm.  Nice spell.

NPC concept!

EDIT

Here's what I came up with:
Keisha: Female Human, 17 years old

B 2
A 2
R 3
S 2
C 4
I 4
L 2
W 4
M 4
ESS 6
EDG 3

Skills:
Spellcasting 3 (Manipulation spells +2)
Summoning 2 (Fire spirits +2)
Survival 3 (Urban +2)
Infiltration 1
Perception 3
Assensing 2
Counterspelling 2
Banishing 2
Etiquette 2 (Street +2)

Qualities:
Magician (Shaman)
Mentor Spirit (Fire-Bringer)

Spells:
Stunbolt
Heal
Metal Into Wood
Ignite
Clean Air
Clean Water

(I'll get to the background later; opinions please?)

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Jul 10 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

If the target object becomes less structurally sound as a result of being wood, then you need to specify in the spell how it alters Armor and Structure. I'm not really sure how I'd do it. I assumed from what you said earlier about maintaining mass/hardness that it would not change how structurally sound the target is.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 10 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Point taken. Maybe have it decrease the armor and structure by the number of net hits?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jul 10 2007, 10:00 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

(note: this post pre-edited due to time delay between choosing to respond and responding)

splintering instead of bending isn't really a particularly noteworthy difference, imo.

as written, i would say this is still just a nuisance... it will temporarily shut down electronics (mostly because it would change the power source) and the wireless capabilities (because it would change the antenna) but otherwise, no big deal. heck, most things are probably made from plastic or variants thereof rather than metal anyways...

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Jul 10 2007, 10:59 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

What happens to the splinter and the parts taken of the transmuted metal item, when the spell isn't sustained anymore. Or basically, is the part that is chopped away still under the influence of the spell or not? It is after all a sustained spell that we're talking about.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jul 10 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #16

Running Target

I think it would be treated much like the Turn to Goo and Petrify spells; once the spell is no longer sustained, it reverts. Of course, making a permanent version is also possible.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Jul 11 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

You could just have the armor and structure become that of wood as listed in the tables.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 01:25 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.