Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Playing an old SR3 campaign
Hyde
post Jul 10 2007, 08:17 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,607

I have a good campaign designed for SR3 which happens in 2057 and want to play it. I can't find any campaign that would fit my needs fro SR4, and I don't have enough time to create one entirely.
Problem is that this campaign is totally bound to the events of this year and before, so it's hard to play it in 2070.
Either I translate everything 13 years later, either I take SR4 rules + settings (like wireless matrix) and just say it existed in 2057. I really don't want to play with the old-style matrix!
And no, I can't just play with SR3 rules (noooooooo) :|

How would you do it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 10 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

How we did it was to stay within the current year, to begin.

Technomancers do not exist, yet. They'll be introduced through events in-game.

Basic communication commlinks still work under the old radio and cellphone rules. They have a signal strength and can be jammed. Decking aspects require some kind of wired connection.

'Ware continues to be an issue, but that should be smoothed out once we can read Augmentation.

Because of the long-term nature of our campaign, we needed the technological continuity, hence the decision. You might well choose to go wireless all the way.

Since the Matrix seems to be your major concern, you can also break canon insofar as moving the key technological event of the Crash to just before the beginning of your campaign: which would solve all your rules/technology difficulties. You will have to find a slightly different explanation though, to make it merge appropriately with other events.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 10 2007, 08:39 AM
Post #3

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Well personally I think I'd drop the idea of AR, turn commlinks back into keyboard sized cyberdecks and call it a day.

Of course I'd also mostly get rid of wireless and use the new Matrix rules with Deckers jacked in, but you said that you don't want to go down that route.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think that it's really that hard to convert Fourth Edition rules into the older timelines.

+Quote Post
Hyde
post Jul 10 2007, 08:45 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 8,607

QUOTE (Ravor @ Jul 10 2007, 10:39 AM)
Well personally I think I'd drop the idea of AR, turn commlinks back into keyboard sized cyberdecks and call it a day.

And going back to goold old days of the decker in his van/bunker? Absolutely no way.

I think I'll just move the second crash 10-15 years before, and tell them some data was lost and everything is now wireless. Most are new players, some are old players but they don't really care about canon as long as the campaign is good :)

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 10 2007, 05:27 PM
Post #5

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

That'll work, although so would having the corps learn the same lesson that Wi-Fi Blocking teaches them, keep their systems off the Matrix and force Deckers to enter the facility with the rest of the team.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:31 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.