Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Self expression Sota
Pendaric
post Jul 13 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,047

Welcome to the bleeding edge of the style world, fashion fans. If you’re an ork or troll you’re nobody nowadays without some kind of tusk equipment.
What started as a street fashion on the streets of Seattle has gone global thanks to the adoption by Or’zet rappers.
Ork and troll tusks obviously sit proud of the lower jaw line and lower lip leading to them not being utilised in mastication, this little known fact has been the foundation of ork and troll youth bringing attention to their heritage.
Tusk adornment has become the thing of the nano.
In the beginning of this style statement by the angry youth of today, simple tusk caps and piercings where the extent of the choice available.

This breeder has got dis all backwards, it was my chummer, Dint, that got some steel caps for the next turf war. Meanest bite on the street. Bite like a barghest.
Kunk

Now the ork fashion gurus of the music world are sporting inlaid gems, enamel dying and even engraved tusks with inlaid gold.

Scan this. I was the first trog in the plex to have my tusks capped. Before I knew it every drekheel and charlatan was copying me. Frag even got breeders getting tusks to rip my style. So I change to gold inlays, fraggers rip that too. Try being an individual with every slitch copying you.
J.J.

Chummer, it’s a cross to bear being a fashion setter. :)
Decker

Frag you and the deck I gave you. :)
J.J.

For trolls there is plenty more room for self expression. Young trolls like Corwin Steel, lead guitar of the eco thrash band Pangea, have taken to horn carving. Steel sights his inspirations as the changeling performance artist Celia Mandrake. We are reliably informed Miss Mandrake has circuitry pattern UV inlays in her horns that makes for a dazzling display on stage.
Other examples of horn art start as simple as sanding smooth through geometric patterns/inlays, to as intricate as a depiction of DaVinci’s Last supper showcased at the UCAS national body art exhibit in New York.

My troll chummer got drunk and had his horns craved by the Spike’s current artist.
Nice job too, real hit with the larger ladies…..
Jin

It isn’t just troll meta-variants that are going for this. I am seeing patterned/inlaid and craved horns on changelings and cyber enhanced club goers. Of course it started much more fringe than this, classic dual evolution from the fetish and street styles.
Piewacket
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Jul 13 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Hope you DS's like this, feel free to embelish. If you don't like this now is the time for long, quiet introspection. :)

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Jul 17 2007, 03:50 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

hmmm Lots of introspection going on
Thread necromancy!
I promise to let it drop after this.

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Jul 17 2007, 09:50 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Don't get me wrong it's interesting and I like it, kinda I actually like making fun of people with it, but it doesn't help my human mage much. Maybe on my next troll, ain't promising anything though ;)

+Quote Post
Slash_Thompson
post Jul 18 2007, 02:48 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 4,341

it's fantastic fluff, would make at worst a good news-clip for the next time a player asks what's on the trid.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 18 2007, 05:13 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

all of my ork characters mod their tusks in some way. one of them has gold and copper wire inlaid into grooves in her tusks; another has his tusks scrimshawed.

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Jul 18 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

I am glad it has found others that like the idea.

+Quote Post
Link
post Jul 20 2007, 02:04 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

QUOTE (Pendaric)
hmmm Lots of introspection going on
Thread necromancy!
I promise to let it drop after this.

QUOTE (Pendaric)
I am glad it has found others that like the idea.

Let it go ;)

I hate trogs! but tusk ornamentation is a good concept. What about some tattoo-like magic where the tusks are engraved with sigils and so on to function as spell quickening. The maximum rating would equal BOD - CHA so that many horned, ugly troll could get about a 10 force spell quickened (or 2 force 5's etc).

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 22 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I can see it on trolls but selling to orks seems more exploitive. . For trolls it kind of goes with it. there's nothing more pathetic than some troll trying to hide her looks. Honey you're not passing as human. You're 10 feet tall-we all see you-so may as well stand proud and show off what you got. These ornaments would do that, but orks. No that's just trying to sell to a market that doesn't need them. Ork fangs, not tusks, fangs don't portrude as much and do get a lot of use in eating. having seen many an ork at the Big Rhino tease me about having 'puny little human teeth' to eat ribs with, I think any such ornamentation on orks would be a waste.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Jul 23 2007, 12:46 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

I think it is very nice that someone could take the time to design things to make the Changed Ones' lives better. They are bombarded with images in the media that are slender and smaller than they are which only reminds them of how terribly far they are from human. These things will help them develop their own sense of style and feel better about themselves.

+Quote Post
Begby
post Jul 24 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 12,085

Pendaric: If you'd like to get some press on the Horn Carving cultural write-up you did, we'd accomodate you. We would insert you as an NPC cultural reporter from MNN (Metahuman News Network) and you would do a piece on this for our blog. We'll illustrate it as well and give you credit.

Contact me at ghemcartographer@yahoo.com for further info.

Check my sig (From the Shadows) to see where it would be posted.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 24 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Snow Fox)
No that's just trying to sell to a market that doesn't need them. Ork fangs, not tusks, fangs don't portrude as much and do get a lot of use in eating. having seen many an ork at the Big Rhino tease me about having 'puny little human teeth' to eat ribs with, I think any such ornamentation on orks would be a waste.

i think there are a lot of orks who would take fairly strong offense to that line of thinking. yes, orks could dress nice and fit in with smoothie society... sorta, as second-class citizens in fact if not in law. or, they could reject smoothie society and embrace their own cultural identity. if they're going to be second-class citizens anyway, what's the point in grovelling?

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 24 2007, 10:47 PM
Post #13

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Sons of Sauron wants YOU! :]
*note - need more orkish looking emoticon*

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 24 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

hm, it occurs to me that i don't have any SoS characters. though i've always wondered what the hell orks have to do with some guy that can turn into a pterodactyl...

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Jul 24 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

:evil: <---I always thought that one looked the most orcish. Even though the horns could be taken as elven ears in that case it be a banshee.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jul 24 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
*note - need more orkish looking emoticon*

Only if you get an elf icon as well. :)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Jul 24 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I, at least, do not want to see this place go the way of some fanboards with smilies for every single subject-related thing imaginable (UT-related boards and the OOTS boards, I'm looking at you).

~J

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Jul 25 2007, 05:04 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (mfb)
QUOTE (Snow Fox)
No that's just trying to sell to a market that doesn't need them. Ork fangs, not tusks, fangs don't portrude as much and do get a lot of use in eating. having seen many an ork at the Big Rhino tease me about having 'puny little human teeth' to eat ribs with, I think any such ornamentation on orks would be a waste.

i think there are a lot of orks who would take fairly strong offense to that line of thinking. yes, orks could dress nice and fit in with smoothie society... sorta, as second-class citizens in fact if not in law. or, they could reject smoothie society and embrace their own cultural identity. if they're going to be second-class citizens anyway, what's the point in grovelling?

I agree with you. Such changed ones will never be human and it is a shame that someone should try to make them think they can be accepted among normal people. The sooner they accept that they cannot, and they they must accept their place in society. They will be much happier than people wishing for something they will never have.
Snow fox you are just being cruel to make them think they can socialize with real humans on an equal social footing.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Jul 25 2007, 07:23 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

i think there are a lot of orks who would reject the value of being accepted as 'normal'. they would see it as a rigged game. humans get to define what 'normal' means, so 'normal' is always going to mean 'human'--therefore, the best a meta can hope for, within the rules of the game, is to be almost normal. i think a lot of orks would want to get out of the game entirely, give the finger to normality, and be themselves.

granted, 99% of them are going to be themselves by dressing and acting like who the media says they should dress and act like. people are sheep whether they have canines or tusks.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Jul 26 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

And orks, even more than people, are sheep. since tests have shown that they do have a diminished mental ability so they are more likely to be affected by media trends than are people.

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Jul 26 2007, 09:28 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

Only in SR 3. In SR 4, they suddenly become mentaly normal as every other metahuman, and simply have a limit of how smart they maximally can get. :)

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Jul 27 2007, 12:32 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

That is splitting hairs from a politically correct survey conducted by a pro-ork lobby. Stick with facts. It is a well known fact that changed ones are less intelligent and more brutal than real people are.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 27 2007, 12:53 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

You're only saying that 'cause you're married to one.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Jul 27 2007, 04:37 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

My husband is human. I would not support the mixing of species. It only causes grief to the community in general.

+Quote Post
Particle_Beam
post Jul 28 2007, 12:45 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,909

So what? You're a ninja, for fracking sake!!! Ninjas are their own species, different from humans as are the other metatypes. You are quite now guilty of interspecies mixing. Don't you tell us anything about facts and truths, when you're an admitted killing machine that flips out and makes backflips in the shadows and other stuff. :P

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th December 2020 - 03:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.