Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Astral Combat base Attribute, Why Willpower and not Logic
Sereth
post Jul 15 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,465

I noticed, recently, when looking through the rules that astral combat uses Willpower plus Astral Combat skill. Because, in mundane melee combat, Agility is used in addition to (Weapon Skill), and Logic replaces Agility as a stat when astrally projecting, does logic actually do anything for an astrally projecting mage of non-Logic based drain tradition? If it is as I think, doesn't that create an underpowered stat in Logic while boosting the usefulness of Willpoer beyond what it should be? My initial thought on the matter is that Logic and not Willpower should be used as the base attribute for all astral combat checks, at the very least, while astrally projecting. My search into the matter didn't turn up any material, so my apologies if there was a previous post concerning this. I'm intereseted to see what everyone has to say on the matter.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jul 15 2007, 08:28 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Yeah, logic doesn't do much for an astrally projecting mage and generally pales in comparison to willpower for most characters, not just mages. On the other hand, logic affects Arcana checks and a mage's maximum number of active foci. This makes logic into a bit of a niche stat, but at least it has a pretty good niche, since it's a great stat for any characters who wish to design their own spells, foci and ally spirits.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 15 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

does logic actually do anything for an astrally projecting mage of non-Logic based drain tradition

You roll it during Astral Infiltration tests. Considering how much of Astral Projection is simply recon, that's a big deal.

Willpower is used during Astral Combat because of Legacy. In the olden days, Logic and Intuition were the same stat, Intelligence. And Since Intelligence was aleady your Astral Movement Rate and your Astral Initiative, it was already overpowered on the Astral - so linking it to Astral Combat was considered to be gilding the lily. Willpower doesn't really do a heck of a lot except resist spells (and a multitude of spells are actually resisted with Body or Intuition anyway), so having Willpower do something in astral combat is a perfectly reasonable bone to throw it.

---

Honestly, the attributes of Strength and Willpower are real underperformers. Things would probably be better if we dropped them, folding their abilities into Body and Charisma respectively.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jul 15 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
Honestly, the attributes of Strength and Willpower are real underperformers. Things would probably be better if we dropped them, folding their abilities into Body and Charisma respectively.

I could live with that.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jul 15 2007, 10:22 PM
Post #5

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

so we seperate intelligence into willpower/intuition, and fold willpower right into charisma?

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 15 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Aku)
so we seperate intelligence into willpower/intuition, and fold willpower right into charisma?

Not quite. We separate Intelligence into Logic and Intuition and then we fold Willpower into Charisma. Intelligence was a lot better than the old Willpower and Charisma were, and 4th edition responded to that by hacking Intelligence in half. But the fact is that both of the pieces are individually better than Willpower or Charisma.

Generally speaking, Charisma is just a bonus to a single Skill Group and Willpower is just a defense roll against an attack form that is uncommon and will probably just kill you anyway (manabolt).

-Frank

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jul 15 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #7

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

wow, im a moron.... wtf was i thinking?

+Quote Post
Naysayer
post Jul 15 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,326

If you fold willpower into charisma, you rob about 90% of players of their favourite dump-stat!

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Jul 15 2007, 10:48 PM
Post #9

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Naysayer)
If you fold willpower into charisma, you rob about 90% of players of their favourite dump-stat!

You'd be losing both dump stats, what with folding Strength into Body as well. ;) :D

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jul 15 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I have no idea what i'd do in that case. I already dump both of those as well as logic (and taking cerebral booster 2).

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 16 2007, 04:28 AM
Post #11

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

:eek:

Please tell me that you're joking, please? :cyber:

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Jul 16 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #12

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Astral combat is linked to logic if you are projecting, only dual beings use willpower.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:48 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.