Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hiding items
Hyde
post Jul 17 2007, 03:07 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,607

As my campaign is set in Denver, my PCs often cross frontiers...how would you deal with non cyberware forbidden items like maglock passkey or anything else?
They can hide it in the car, but any scanner could see it, couldn't it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 17 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,957

Unless looking specifically for a device most people scanning are just going to see "small electronic device" not "maglock passkey." If they're suspicious of you they may ask what it is, but probably not.

If you do need to hide it a small box with a short range (signal 0) jammer would work. It's up to the GM to decide whether a jammer creates a noticable hole in a scanner's field or just a dead zone where nothing being scanned for can be seen. I'd probably give the guy running the scanner some sort of opposed test vs. the jammer (maybe jammer rating x 2 vs. Logic + Scanner rating?)

+Quote Post
Nerf'd
post Jul 17 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 12,075

...or you just stuff it in a box full of hand-held game consoles and other random electronic kitsch. Sort of hiding it in plain sight, if you will.

I tend to regard it as not dangerous unless you are seen using it, or it is found during a search for something else - but if it is found, oh boy are you in trouble.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Jul 17 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #4

MechRigger Delux

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 1,657

Make up some on the fly tests. I'd say Intuition + Electronics for something like this. Add in bonus pool for jammers or other things the character might try. Make the number of hits the target threashold for the scanner to find the item.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 17 2007, 07:42 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Or have an electronics kit with you and keep it in two or three pieces (depending on how fast you need it). Even if they're looking specifically for a Maglock Passkey they're not going to be looking for one that's currently in pieces.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Jul 17 2007, 07:43 PM
Post #6

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Palming.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Jul 17 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #7

MechRigger Delux

QUOTE (Rotbart van Dainig)
Palming.

Palming specifies small objects. Being as the rules are pretty fluid on checks, I'd say whatever sounds logical for the check should be allowed. Oh, and some kknowledge in smuggling could be used to add extra dice to the pools beforehand

+Quote Post
Magus
post Jul 18 2007, 04:44 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Just how big is a maglock passkey? My ID badge for all the E-Doors at the office is about the size of a playing card. I sure someone with large hands could palm it quite easily.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Jul 18 2007, 01:10 PM
Post #9

MechRigger Delux

True.. I was thinking more of the "something elses" than the passkey. Like, a drone, or shotgun under the seat. I'm thinking Palming isn't going to cover that.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 18 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Magus)
Just how big is a maglock passkey? My ID badge for all the E-Doors at the office is about the size of a playing card. I sure someone with large hands could palm it quite easily.

The maglock passkey isn't just the card, it's the card plus a little computer to program it with. It might still be palmable depending on the GM, but isn't as obvious a decision as just a regular keycard.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Jul 18 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #11

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

I disagree James. Head over to page 326. Theres 3 little pictures of stuff there, next to the maglock passkey description. I'd say the leftmost object, is the maglock sequencer, because it is used to defeat keypad locks. The bottom object with the skull on it is the passkey, and the upper object is an autopicker. Therefore, passkeys are the size of regular maglock passcards.

+Quote Post
James McMurray
post Jul 18 2007, 07:25 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Thanks for the pic! I stand corrected.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.