IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Quick Question: Power Foci, What exactly is it?
Marwynn
post Jul 19 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,093

The blurb on Page 192 is a bit vague for me.

"A power focus adds its Force to all tests in which the Magician's Magic is included."

Does this mean you effectively raise your Magic by the Power Foci's Rating? So if I have a Power Focus Rating 2 and Magic 4, I'd have Magic 6 for all intents and purposes?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 19 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

No. When you have a test where you'd roll Magic, you'd add the Force of the focus, but your Magic doesn't change-so no additional adept powers or higher Force spells without overcasting and the like.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Jul 19 2007, 12:27 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Ahh so it's a bit like the Spellcasting/Summoning Foci only a bit more general in that it applies to almost all Magic-related rolls? Other than counterspelling that is.

Thanks, that clears it up!

Follow up: Think it's worth it for a Mystic Adept who'll have an effective Magic attribute of 2 from 6 (due to adept powers eating up 4 points)?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 19 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #4

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

That all depends on what else you might buy with the same money, bond with the same karma, etc, etc. I mean, when in doubt, yeah. Sure. It's worth it to have a power focus, period.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 19 2007, 02:17 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

Ahh so it's a bit like the Spellcasting/Summoning Foci only a bit more general in that it applies to almost all Magic-related rolls?

Yes and no. It dds to all Magic related tests, so it'll get your spell cast with more hits or get more services on a conjured spirit or whatever. But while a summoning focus only applies to summoning tests (and only to a very limited subset of summoning tests at that), it can be optionally used on the all-important drain resistance and a power focus cannot.

If you only had one magic item, it should probably be a Power Focus. But there's still a very real purpose in owning Summoning and Binding foci (and of course Shielding Foci - those are pretty sweet too).

-Frank

+Quote Post
Starmage21
post Jul 19 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,448

So why was the Power Focus reduced in power from 3rd to 4th? Is it because you can Initiate to raise your magic, and they didnt want you to be able to raise it with a power focus too?

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Jul 19 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

QUOTE (Marwynn)
Ahh so it's a bit like the Spellcasting/Summoning Foci only a bit more general in that it applies to almost all Magic-related rolls?

There's a commonly missed rule here, and I'm not sure this shows you've caught it.

I'd say rather than a bit more general it is a lot more general as a spellcasting/summoning focus has to be for a specific spell category (such as manipulation) or spirit type (such as plant).

+Quote Post
Talia Invierno
post Jul 19 2007, 02:54 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,689

Especially if you're playing a mystic adept who is heavy on the "adept" side or a magician who hasn't fully filled out Magic, you will also want to take into account just how high your Sorcery or Conjuring skills already are. As Ancient History notes, the power focus doesn't change your spellcasting/conjuring Magic at all -- and that's what limits the number of hits that can be valid in the first place. If you have a natural maximum of 2, overcast of 4 -- you probably won't need the power focus to reach that number of hits.

It's particularly nasty if you are rolling an opposed test. Your maximum hits cannot be higher than your Magic (twice Magic, if overcasting). Your target, however, has no such restriction.

Assuming you already have decent Sorcery / Conjuring skillgroups: the higher your Magic, the more use you will get out of a power focus.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jul 19 2007, 03:12 PM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Starmage21)
So why was the Power Focus reduced in power from 3rd to 4th? Is it because you can Initiate to raise your magic, and they didnt want you to be able to raise it with a power focus too?

You could Initiate in 3rd, too.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 19 2007, 03:18 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

On the other hand, there are other uses for a power focus as well, such as adept powers (notably Attribute Boost, Empathic Healing, Enthralling Performance, Motion Sense, Pain Relief, and Three-Dimensional Memory) and metamagic (notably Cleansing, Cognition, Filtering, Invoking, Masking and Extended Masking, Sensing, and Somatic Control). It's important to remember that a power focus only adds its rating to tests. It won't aid adept powers or metamagics with a duration, range, or other variable effect based on Magic alone.

[/edit]I wasn't involved with the creation of SR4, but it is easy to see why a limitation was put in place given the "open Force" nature of spells and spirits-imagine a character with Magic 6 and a Force 4 power focus overcasting at Force 20 directly following character generation.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Jul 19 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

You're limited to a Force 2 Power Focus on chargen, but point taken. A Force 15 spirit on chargen is... unfortunate.

-Frank

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Jul 19 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Thank you for the clarification guys, it's hard to wrap your head around all these different worlds.

A semi-related follow-up question:

If you have Magic 6 but utilize 3 points as power points for a Mystic Adept, thereby having an effective Magic 3, could you leave Astral Defense to any Summoned Spirits?

Would a Power Foci still be a decent investment even if you have say a 5-6 Summoning skill; possibly with a specialization or maybe 5-6 without the spec?

Seems like I'm min-maxing, I know, but I'm making an updated version of my first Street Sam into a Gunslinging Mystic Adept. Yeah, a helluva leap I know.

But I didn't wanna just turn him into an all-or-nothing shooter. Hence, Conjuring (and Spellcasting to a point). He'll get stuck with Force 3 Spirits, Force 6 if I oversummon, but it's going to be pretty sweet.

So the question is: Can I rely on Summoned Spirits for Astral Defense? Can I still put a Power Focus 2 to good use even with a high magical skill?

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 19 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Well, your spirit isn't exactly going to stand in front of you whenever someone takes an astral swing at you, if that's what you mean. If you're talking about spell defense, there are three spirits in Street Magic with the Magical Guard power that can help shore you up in that direction.

Re: Power Foci -> With relatively high Magical Skills and low Magic, you won't see a great deal of improvement on standard spellcasting and summoning with a power focus-generally, you'd be moving from 5-6 dice (1 guaranteed hit) to 7-8 dice (2 guaranteed hits). However, a power focus would help all your Magic-related tests. For example, you might decide to take Enthralling Performance with Pistols (Trick Shots).

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Jul 19 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #14

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Ancient History)
... Enthralling Performance with Pistols (Trick Shots).

Now that's a cool idea! 8)

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Jul 20 2007, 02:04 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Well, your spirit isn't exactly going to stand in front of you whenever someone takes an astral swing at you, if that's what you mean. If you're talking about spell defense, there are three spirits in Street Magic with the Magical Guard power that can help shore you up in that direction.

Re: Power Foci -> With relatively high Magical Skills and low Magic, you won't see a great deal of improvement on standard spellcasting and summoning with a power focus-generally, you'd be moving from 5-6 dice (1 guaranteed hit) to 7-8 dice (2 guaranteed hits). However, a power focus would help all your Magic-related tests. For example, you might decide to take Enthralling Performance with Pistols (Trick Shots).

Well I meant more like: You Spirits (probably Guardian Spirits) stay in Astral and protect me from anyone trying to attack me since I can't look into Astral space and fight there.

Not necessarily protect me from harm, but killing the things that want to kill me.

The Trick Pistols with Enthralling Performance would be neat-o but it does say in the description that being 'actively threatened' knocks them out of it. Otherwise, you could just kick their butts (or cap said butts) and they'd stare at you googly-eyed.

But I get what you mean, it is quite useful to have a Power Focus.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:41 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.