IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Hogwarts Tradition, (No Spoilers I swear)
Marwynn
post Jul 22 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,093

Been thinking about this for a while. I figure it might be fun to be this crazy in the 2070s...

Work in progress, suggestions are welcome!

EDIT:
V1.03 12:24 pm, 7/24/07
V1.02 10:27 am, 7/23/07 (Freaky)
V1.01 10:26 pm, 7/22/07

The Hogwarts Tradition
Version 1.01

Concept: Through study, practice, and effort magic can be wielded and harnessed. Based on the printed book phenomenon of the early 21st century, the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry was established for the Awakened who wanted a unique magical education. Each prospective student is 'sorted' into one of the four houses of the school leaning to one particular focus of spellcasting

Combat: Fire (Gryffindor)
Detection: Air (Ravenclaw)
Health: Earth or Plant (Hufflepuff)
Illusion: Man
Manipulation: Water (Slytherin)

Drain: Willpower + Logic

Quality Requirements:
Positive
Optional
Mentor Spirit (Familiar) - A specific animal pet can be chosen and with a possession ritual be inhabited by a spirit attuned with a student. This provides the student with a loyal, living companion called a Familiar. This quality also provides the capacity to learn the Expecto Patronum spell which is a limited Conjuring ability of a Guardian spirit in the shape of an(other) animal (student's choice).

Non-Optional
The Houses of Hogwarts - All students must pick one.
Gryffindor
"You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.."
A combat-centric house, Gryffindor students are known for their boldness. Though not wholly focused on offensive spellcasting, this house's students are far more likely to pick up athletic activities and learn marksmanship or fencing while studying at Hogwarts.

Hufflepuff
"You might belong in Hufflepuff, where those are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuff's are true and unafraid of toil."
Sturdy and reliable, Hufflepuff students are not as eccentric as the other houses but are known for their kindness and amiability. Fearless and resourceful, Hufflepuffs are fast friends. Many focus on the healing aspects of magic.

Ravenclaw
"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind, where those of wit and learning, will always find their kind."
Considered odd and bookish by the other houses Ravenclaw is nonetheless the leader in arcana and enchanting ability. Knowledge is their true goal, in any form, and their student body is as diverse as the entire school combined. Many are burgeoning artisans and enchanters in their own right.

Slytherin
"Or perhaps in Slytherin, you'll make your real friends, those cunning folk use any means, to achieve their ends."
Manipulative and domineering, Slytherins aren't really all that bad. They merely see everything as a means to their end. Though considered "Dark" by the other houses, Slytherin is home to a varied array of studies from paracritter communication, the use of various alchemical substances, and the nature of magical control.

Negative
Non-optional
Geas (Wand) - A spellcasting and drain focus with a rating equal to the student's Magic / 2 (round down), it is specifically attuned to an individual and is required for almost all of his spellcasting. Cost is Rating x 1000 Y.

Geas (Latin Vocalization) - Spells are properly enunciated with vaguely Latin words combined with Wand movement.

(I don't know if I should provide bonuses too for the various Houses.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ludomastro
post Jul 22 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 8,297

I'm a Potter fan and I like the concept; however, I am not seeing this from a mechanics point of view yet. Please give a couple of examples for casting spells and summoning spirits showing the game mechanics.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 22 2007, 04:43 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I like my groggies, not mudbloods, thank you.

+Quote Post
Ravor
post Jul 22 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #4

Cybernetic Blood Mage

Member No.: 8,361

Although I enjoy reading Harry Potter, I think you are trying too hard to fit something that simply doesn't fit into Sixth World Magical Theory.

Perhaps it would be best to have "Potter Mages" be nothing more then aspected Spellcasters with the two Gesa you've mentioned as opposed to trying to introduce new gamerules into the mix.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 22 2007, 05:23 PM
Post #5

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I dunno, I think it's just more casting centric. A Patronus could be constured as summoning. Go the Catholic route and say that true summoning is considered dangerous (because it is) and not taught at basic school. After all, the Patronus is thought to be something beyond most student's ability.

Speaking in quasi-latin could be a centering technique. Wands could be a geas or casting fetish, with all spells requiring the fetish to make drain easier to ahndle for the younger students. Then as they can get older and handle it better, they learn to cast without wands (non-fetsih dependant spells) and even without vocalizing (stronger wills, don't have to use centering to resist drain) , even though that's not necessarily how they would do it every time.

Just another interpretation.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Jul 22 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

It's a bit of a stretch I know.

Well I had envisioned the whole combat casting part of the Potter world to be exchanging physical slaps combined with some elemental accents. So I chose the Guardian who could be considered skilled enough to disarm with Expelliarmus! and also to stun and so forth.

So you demand one service every time you enter a duel (or go into combat) with a Guardian Spirit which (was summoned earlier) and you wield his powers bypassing the awkwardness of the Spirits in interpreting human commands.

Mechanically speaking the Hogwarts magician is a summoner, I should've done a list of spells and such too, but the wand acts as a leash of sorts which allows the wand holder a finer degree of control over a Spirit's actions.

So when someone casts Wingardium Leviosa the Air Spirit he summoned earlier that day is brought back to cast Levitate on an item. But the magician controls it almost like it was his own Levitate spell.

I was looking to bypass the extraordinary amounts of drain necessary for all the fireworks of a Harry Potter magician and I thought Spirits were key.

There aren't really any new game rules other than for the wands. The mechanics portion is more like a Spirit possessing the caster and being able to direct the spells and skills more easily.

It's not the smoothest of translations so please pick at it.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 22 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Yeah. No special rules are needed beyond making it -extremely- limited Tradition, which has its advantages elsewhere. So the only rule required is allowing characters to bypass the 35 DP limit on Negative Qualities at character creation since a Geas: Talisman (Wand), Geas: Gesturing (Using Wand), and Geas: Chanting (Latin) are all "required" at the very minimum. Using their talisman as a fetish (increasing its cost) is also within the realm of possibility. All of this, of course, then gives the player more Build Points to blow elsewhere and it should be -strongly- encouraged that they be spent on Language: Latin, magical Knowledge Skills, Arcana, and Enchanting.

"Students" would then have a maximum Magic score of 3 or so, meaning that if they break a single geas they break all of them and suddenly find themselves unable to weild magic until they atone.

The rest relies on the player selecting appropriate spells, focusing more on Sorcery than Conjuring. What Conjuring skills they did have -- with Summoning being pretty low, especially for students -- would be focused on one particular spirit type which they would treat as their Patronus. Summoning 1 (Guardian Spirits +2), for example. And they'd still need to use their geasa when summoning one. Could even work one in as a Mentor Spirit as well.

Arcana should be extremely high in such a tradition, with Enchanting coming in close behind. Sustaining Foci (roleplaying them as being enchanted with the spell) are their bread and butter, too, especially for random things little things and spell effects.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jul 22 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Yeah, I agree with the idea that you should avoid introducing rules if at all possible. Remember, you're trying to bring a bit of the Harry Potter world into Shadowrun, not vice versa.

Of course, all I know about Harry Potter I learned from memes, so perhaps I'm biased.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 22 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #9

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
[Double Crap!]

Cleaned up your posts for ya' Doc.

+Quote Post
Sterling
post Jul 22 2007, 09:23 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,885

While I am not shocked HP has finally been linked with Shadowrun, the issue I have is that you really 'need' a large organization to create a Hogwarts-esque magical academy.

You do have the whole 'muggle versus wizard/witch' thing going on, but there's no isolated magical community to grossly misunderstand normal human behavior/customs.

While having runners break into Hogwarts to extract a student or teacher or whatever might be amusing, it really almost requires metaplanar rules to exist as written. Having a school on a metaplane would be an interesting trick.

I guess I'm trying to say as nicely as I can that the tradition as written works, but the whole Harry Potter-esque magician character isn't going to have the needed places/mindsets/people to make the most out of their tradition.

Having gone to peoplewatch at my nearest major bookstore on the release date, I can easily see any of the people there defaulting to a Hogwarts tradition if they were to awaken tomorrow, though.

Now, where you could easily fix the problems listed is have an AR Harry Potter game, maybe one that is played by a majority of young mages. It might be half fun game, half training tool, helping the proper mental viewpoint develop for maximizing magical ability.

Also, about 99.9% of the runners (and corporations) would agree with Voldemort's take on good and evil.

+Quote Post
Trigger
post Jul 22 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 10,215

QUOTE (Sterling)
Also, about 99.9% of the runners (and corporations) would agree with Voldemort's take on good and evil.

Makes me want to make a Death Eater now....

...hang people by their ankles 40 feet up and then drop them....good times... :D

+Quote Post
tweak
post Jul 22 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,622

Quidditch in 2070 would be cool. Think of the evolution of brooms.

tweak

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Jul 23 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Considering we already have a thread devoted to the Monofilament Broom, I'd say the possibilities are endless.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Jul 23 2007, 12:17 AM
Post #14

Uncle Fisty

QUOTE (tweak)
Quidditch in 2070 would be cool. Think of the evolution of brooms.

tweak

Sustaining Focus for Levitation = flying broom stick

Higher force = higher speeds

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 23 2007, 12:36 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
Sustaining Focus for Levitation = flying broom stick

Hence my comment about Sustaining Foci being their bread and butter.

It would be a very, very, very limited tradition by Shadowrun standards, one focused on academia rather than application. Your typical shadowrunning magician would have a tremendous advantage over one in a duel simply by slapping the wand out of their hand or just throwing up a Silence spell as their initial attack.

I could see an off-kilter shadowrunning mage who fancies himself a Death Eater out of the novels, though. I'm sure that by 2070 it won't be any stranger than the people who believe themselves to be a Jedi are today. In those cases, they'd simply be trying to duplicate restrictions and effects out of the novels rather than it being a "true" tradition. Their wand would become a Power Focus or Spell Category Focus, for instance, and they'd like pick up Centering: Chanting (Latin) as their first metamagic.

I'm still a bit baffled as to why Mawynn is clinging to the idea that they would be a Conjurer more than a Sorcerer, though. But on that note, basing it on a Hogwarts, the spirits associated with each spell category would likely be more elemental in nature. Each of the houses has an element, afterall, with the fifth and final spirit being either Man, Guardian, or Guidance (there's an argument for all of them).

Combat, for instance, would likely be linked to the Slytherin house, which would make it a Water category. Detection would be Ravenclaw, making it Air. The other two houses could go multiple ways, but I'd associate Hufflepuff with Health and Earth and Gryffindor with Manipulation and Fire. That leaves Illusion open for the remaining spirit type which, again, could be any of the three I mentioned. I'd lean towards Man myself since they're constantly using illusions and deception to hide from the muggle world.

All that said, Conjuring would be a very rare thing in such a tradition rather it were a "real" one or a simulated one by a crazy mage... used only in situations where Sorcery, Enchanting, or Astral Combat/Assensing couldn't be used instead.

+Quote Post
tweak
post Jul 23 2007, 01:47 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,622

Here's a what if:

What if we replaced the awakened world with the Harry Potter world and kept everything else the same?

This would make for an interesting shadowrun game.

tweak

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jul 23 2007, 01:51 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

I had been considering adapting HP stuff to SR but realised that everything you need is already there. Traditional Wizardry/Hedge Witches ARE Rowling's concept of witches and wizards and we already have SR sources of magical schools (MIT&T etc) and it just needs to be extended to the British Boarding School concept. (and wands are basically just all purpose fetishes or maybe exclusive spellcasting and the wand acts like a Mudra or something like that)

The cool crossovers are in the area of magical compounds:

Polyjuice Potion
Felix Felicis
Draught of Living Death
Veritaserum

etc. since we don't have mechanics for anything like that yet.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Jul 23 2007, 02:10 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Oh I'm not clinging to any idea at all. It's just that the Potter-world magic doesn't really look like the Shadowrun magic to me, beyond superficialities.

But oddly enough the Spirit powers do, at least to my addled mind.

I can see a much less, what's the term, crazy solution in a casting focused tradition than with a conjuring one.

It also lacks one thing: the dementedness necessary to study this as a real magical tradition. You basically have to be off your rocker to ignore the fundamentals of SR magic... perhaps not a kind criticism seeing as how I am a potter fan.

I just saw Spirits as being these swiss army knives really. There's no limit to the amount of spells a Potter-esque witch could throw about hence my solution to that was with Spirits.

I honestly didn't know about the corresponding elements. That's kinda nifty.

And as I said, this was my twisted look upon it, trying to jam the pecularities of wand casting into SR.

This is why we have revisions! Let's see...

Geas (Wand) - Spellcasting Focus Rating (Magic / 2, round up - Cost: Rating x 1000 Y).
Geas (Latin Vocalization) - Spells are learned through wand flicking and proper enunciation.

This is what I get for not consulting wikipedia more often with the Houses and the elements.

But I disagree with Slythering being "Combat". That has to be Gryffindor with its Courage, Chivalry, and Boldness. The colours and the traditions of the House practically reek of it. Fire in Combat I think.

Ravenclaw is intelligence, knowledge and wit... I'd put them with Guidance or Task spirits in the Detection category.

Hufflepuff I'd say is Health with a choice between Earth or Plant spirits.

Slytherin would get my vote for Manipulation with Water.

Illusion would not be part of any one House's tradition but with based on Air.

Drain would still be Willpower + Logic. A fairer emphasis on Enchanting and less so on Conjuring would work better.

Should there be Geas (Robe) too? :twirl:

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Jul 23 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #19

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

From stuff JK has said, Gryffindor should be fire, Hufflepuff earth, Slytherin water and Ravenclaw air.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Jul 23 2007, 02:26 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

That makes more sense... d'oh! You'd think I'd recognize the Four Elements...

Updated the first post. Any ideas on what Illusion should be?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Jul 23 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Marwynn)
Any ideas on what Illusion should be?

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
That leaves Illusion open for the remaining spirit type which, again, could be any of the three I mentioned. I'd lean towards Man myself since they're constantly using illusions and deception to hide from the muggle world.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Jul 23 2007, 07:24 PM
Post #22

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

That would put them very close to being a varient on Hemetisism, which seems very appropriate.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Jul 23 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #23

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...and to think I already developed a character who thinks she's Hermione Granger.

And yes, she does have all three geasa + fluency in Latin.

Still haven't figured out how to do the broom quite right yet. Anchored spell? Possessed by a spirit of air? Turbo ram engine?

+Quote Post
Synner667
post Jul 23 2007, 10:52 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,753

QUOTE (Marwynn)
Non-Optional
The Houses of Hogwarts - All students must pick one.
Gryffindor
"You might belong in Gryffindor, where dwell the brave at heart, their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.."
A combat-centric house, Gryffindor students are known for their boldness. Though not wholly focused on offensive spellcasting, this house's students are far more likely to pick up athletic activities and learn marksmanship or fencing while studying at Hogwarts.

Hufflepuff
"You might belong in Hufflepuff, where those are just and loyal, those patient Hufflepuff's are true and unafraid of toil."
Sturdy and reliable, Hufflepuff students are not as eccentric as the other houses but are known for their kindness and amiability. Fearless and resourceful, Hufflepuffs are fast friends. Many focus on the healing aspects of magic.

Ravenclaw
"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw, if you've a ready mind, where those of wit and learning, will always find their kind."
Considered odd and bookish by the other houses Ravenclaw is nonetheless the leader in arcana and enchanting ability. Knowledge is their true goal, in any form, and their student body is as diverse as the entire school combined. Many are burgeoning artisans and enchanters in their own right.

Slytherin
"Or perhaps in Slytherin, you'll make your real friends, those cunning folk use any means, to achieve their ends."
Manipulative and domineering, Slytherins aren't really all that bad. They merely see everything as a means to their end. Though considered "Dark" by the other houses, Slytherin is home to a varied array of studies from paracritter communication, the use of various alchemical substances, and the nature of magical control.

Hi,

Just want to jump in and ask why the Houses can't be considered Totems, or Totem-like ??

After all, you don't choose a House - it chooses you [as it were]..
..Gryffindor sounds like a Lion or Dragon Totem, Hufflepuff is not dissimilar to Dog, etc.

Just my thruppence..

+Quote Post
Cheops
post Jul 24 2007, 03:12 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 392

I'd go Dragonslayer, Dog, Wise Woman, and Dark Lord.

Mentor spirits are appealing for representing the Houses since not everyone is a one-dimensional representation of their house. Look at Percy or Snape.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.