IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dermal sheathing., What does it look like exactly?
Squinky
post Aug 5 2007, 04:11 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,377

I have a memory/idea from previous editions that Dermal Sheathing looks kinda like the X-manColossus's skin......but beyond that I am lost....

Reading the description in Augmentation it says it is a coating that is weaved into the users skin. This makes me think it is pretty much like orthoskin, not to obvious. But then it talks about modifying the texture like Dermal Plates....

Anybody have a good way of describing it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Aug 5 2007, 05:19 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

That was the way it was pictured back in Cybertechnology, which was presumably covered by synthskin normally. I would assume the implantation methods have changed since '56 given the description in Augmentation.

As for describing it, basically it can be as obvious or subtle as the owner wants IMO.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Aug 5 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 98

I always imagined it as being a lot like normal skin, except with a texture issue. Ever seen someone with an old healed full-thickness burn, or something similar? You don't notice anything unless you're at conversational distances, and then you start to notice that the texture is off, or they aren't growing hair there, or something along those lines.

Waxy and smooth, is one way to think of it. Rough like sandpaper, and with lines kind of like a rough statue would be another. Depends on the style you want.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 5 2007, 08:52 PM
Post #4

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...don't forget, you can also get Dermal Sheathing with Ruthenium Polymers, so you can wear the SK logo proudly on your chest, literally.

+Quote Post
Dancer
post Aug 6 2007, 04:19 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,659

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...don't forget, you can also get Dermal Sheathing with Ruthenium Polymers, so you can wear the SK logo proudly on your chest, literally.

I think that was for people who want to be the Major.

+Quote Post
streetangelj
post Aug 6 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 11,993

I also think that no matter the level, it should still cover the whole body. The different levels just provide better protection and more unnatural texture, as well as allowing for the chameleon option.

+Quote Post
FrankTrollman
post Aug 6 2007, 05:01 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

QUOTE (Dancer)
QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Aug 5 2007, 08:52 PM)

I think that was for people who want to be the Major.

I think that's unlikely, as the first color-changing dermal sheathe was in Cybertechnology (copyright 1995). Since that was being written in the United States while Kôkaku kidôtai was being made in Nippon, I think it highly likely that it was a completely independent invention with neither seeding the other.

-Frank

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 6 2007, 06:06 PM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

While color-changing dermal sheaths and cyberlimbs were available in Cybertechnology, the ability to strip naked and be invisible wasn't available until Man and Machine.

Cybertechnology's dermal sheathing; notice the lack of nipples.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Aug 6 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #9

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

ah, nipples. the bane of all humanity...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:29 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.