Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gen Con DSF Meet & Greet
Bull
post Aug 6 2007, 06:16 AM
Post #1

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

With most of the moderation staff in attendance at Gen Con Indy this year, we thought it might be kinda nice to actually get to meet some of the Dumpshock folks and put Faces to the Handles.

With the crowds and the hustle and bustle of the convention, it's tough to pick out people in the crowds, and I've found that some of you mugs are really bad about introducing yourselves, even if you know who we are. Trust me, it's perfectly ok to say "Hey, you're Bull? I'm X from Dumpshock." I don't bite. Much. Anyways, we figured the easiest way to do this would be to get together at one of the events at the con, and what better one than the "What's Up With..." event, the little Q&A seminar where Adam, Rob, and the IMR/Catalyst guys will talk about the upcoming products and answer questions from the unruly masses.

This year the "What's Up with..." Seminar is at the Embassy Suites at Noon on Saturday, the 18th, in "Coronation 2". It's about an hour long, and afterward we'll round up any Dumpshockers to hang out and chat down in the Embassy Lobby, maybe go do some lunch or something.

Like I said, might be a good chance to put some faces to the names, chat for a bit. I'll be glad to attempt to answer any questions I can about Dumpshock and what we do here. And if anyone's really unhappy with the DSF Moderation staff, well be happy to let you have a free swing or two at Caine :)

Hope to see you there!

Bull
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 6 2007, 08:46 AM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,486

Is someone going to record and make available the "What's Up With ..." seminar this year?

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Aug 6 2007, 08:58 AM
Post #3

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Dammit sometimes I'd like to live in the States, it would make going to GenCon possible...

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 6 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #4

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (Fortune)
Is someone going to record and make available the "What's Up With ..." seminar this year?

Don't know. Possible Caine will try to do that again this year, I'm sure he'll post here if he can.

Bull

+Quote Post
Adam
post Aug 6 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

QUOTE (Fortune)

Yes.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Aug 6 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #6

Technomancer

Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Adam)
QUOTE (Fortune @ Aug 6 2007, 03:46 AM)

Yes.

Excellent.

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Aug 6 2007, 07:32 PM
Post #7

MechRigger Delux

Member No.: 1,657

QUOTE (Adam)

Yes.

What setup you using and do you ned extra mics? Or other sound sources?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 7 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Adam)

Yes.

Much obliged. :)

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 7 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #9

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Does anyone have any restraining orders or anything out on me? I need to know before I get to the convention center, much less go about looking for specific rooms full of Dumpshockers. 100 yards is a lot of distance, indoors.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 7 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #10

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

<laugh> I'll double check, but I think it expired last month, so you should be ok :]

Or we should be ok. One of the two. ;)

Bull

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Aug 9 2007, 04:47 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

I just did a Yahoo check on Embassy Suites in Indianapolis and I was kind of wondering which one the meet and greet is going to be at? There seem to be several choices.

Doing a little more searching, I'm guessing the one on Washington Street, downtown near the Convention Center?

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 9 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #12

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Yeah, it's the one on Washington street. Link to Embassy Home Page

From what John (The_Dunner) has said, events are REALLY freaking spread out this year at the con. It's gonna make those guys that pack in as many events as possible cry, when they have less than 15 minutes to book it from one event to another and they're several blocks away from each other in different hotels :(

The event book on site should have maps of the hotels, and they usually have an Indianapolis Visitors Guidebook magazine thingy available at the main information desk at the convention center that has a nice map of downtown.

Maps! The first one on the list is especially good, and one as a general area map, especially for finding hotels.

Bull

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 9 2007, 01:35 PM
Post #13

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Member No.: 7,667

2006 was nice, there was the SR4 games room where you could go meet all the crazy people.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 9 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #14

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
2006 was nice, there was the SR4 games room where you could go meet all the crazy people.

Yeah, I think they were supposed to have a similar deal this year, but I think GC overbooked themselves. Looks like most, if not all, of the RPG events are scattered to the hotels this year. And looks like it was late enough that they weren't able to schedule everything all together. I dunno.

Hopefully that will be remedied next year. Having everything in one place was a godsend, since it meant all the GMs were in one place, and if there was overflow or problems, they could pull a loose GM who was just hanging out or waiting to run a freebie demo and make him run a Missions game, even though he'd never played in, GMed for, or read a Missions game before, with no notice.

"He3y Bull, we have 5 players who want to play, but we're full up. Wanna run them?" That was interesting. :]

Bull

+Quote Post
Critias
post Aug 11 2007, 06:09 AM
Post #15

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Oh, whoops. Just realized this thing was on Saturday. Can't make it. I'll be square in the middle of a ten hour long tournament.

Oh well. Maybe I'll run into a few of you in games or whatnot.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Aug 13 2007, 02:22 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

I haven't been to a Gen Con before, and here I even live in Indiana. I'm gonna try to move Heaven and Earth to get to this thing this year. All I need is a lever long enough to reach Hell. :D

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 13 2007, 03:06 PM
Post #17

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (Bull)
Yeah, it's the one on Washington street. Link to Embassy Home Page

We still planning on the Embassy with the event location and hotel changes?

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Aug 13 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #18

Man Behind the Curtain

Member No.: 3

For those of us who will be driving in daily (hotel is 8 miles away), where do you recommend parking? How long to navigate getting parked?

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 13 2007, 04:33 PM
Post #19

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
QUOTE (Bull @ Aug 9 2007, 07:55 AM)
Yeah, it's the one on Washington street.  Link to Embassy Home Page

We still planning on the Embassy with the event location and hotel changes?

The Whats Up With Seminar did not change locations, according to Dunner, so we're still in the same locale. :)

For those of us who will be driving in daily (hotel is 8 miles away), where do you recommend parking? How long to navigate getting parked?

Hrmm. Honestly, I don't really know. I'm not familiar with the parking sitch outside the hotels.

You could try calling the convention center and seeing if their info desk can help any.

Bull

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 13 2007, 04:40 PM
Post #20

The Dragon Never Sleeps

QUOTE (Redjack)

There's a mall right nearby with parking, I think it's Circle Center Mall. I also think you can get parking validated, but I may be confused about that.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Aug 13 2007, 06:28 PM
Post #21

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Redjack)

As someone who has commuted the past 2 years, either plan on a long walk or paying $15 to $20 a day to park. On Thursday and Friday be prepared to compete with the downtown workforce for parking. There is metered parking, but I would not recommend trying it.

Most of the free parking is found south of the convention center (any other direction is city.) The closest free parking is about a half mile away, but usually open spaces are about a mile away.

There is a pay lot on the other side of the RCA dome from the convention center, but it fills up early.

I would see how much a cab costs, if the bus runs past your hotel (it will probably run within a block or two of the convention), or if your hotel offers a shuttle bus.

What would be nice is if we commuters could get together, carpool, and split the parking cost. The quickest way for me to get downtown is either from I65South to I70 West and taking the dome exit, or I465 North to I70 East and the dome exit. I 70 runs a couple miles south of the convention center/dome. I465 from I65 on the southside to I465 at I70 on the West side can be on my route if anyone is interested in getting together.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Aug 13 2007, 06:48 PM
Post #22

Man Behind the Curtain

I am staying at:
Hampton Inn Indianapolis-South, 7045 McFarland Blvd, Indianapolis, IN United States 46237
It is off of I-65. They say a cab from there is ~$25 so I might as well drive in and no shuttles or city buses.

I really don't mind walking from free parking, but how is the downtown crime? In the end I am probably better off paying the parking, possibly commuting.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Aug 13 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #23

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (Redjack)
I am staying at:
Hampton Inn Indianapolis-South, 7045 McFarland Blvd, Indianapolis, IN United States 46237
It is off of I-65. They say a cab from there is ~$25 so I might as well drive in and no shuttles or city buses.

I really don't mind walking from free parking, but how is the downtown crime? In the end I am probably better off paying the parking, possibly commuting.

I'd be happy to share a ride and parking expense. :)

I have not had any problem with crime, but it does seem like a scary area, especially at one in the morning walking the mile south to where there is just about always free parking spaces. The walk under all the railroad tracks is not a good place to start imagining a dungeon crawl.;)

I have also not heard any first hand accounts of crime, just horror stories about being towed.

The downtown area has a lot of attractions that go on into the night, so I think it is pretty well patrolled.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Aug 13 2007, 07:53 PM
Post #24

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

So we're talking an A? ;)

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Aug 13 2007, 08:23 PM
Post #25

Man Behind the Curtain

The next trick is syncing up people's schedules.
For example: My game starts 8am Friday and the last one ends at 11pm, Saturday is 10am to 11pm.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.