IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Luxury food items in 2070, What will be the fate of chocolate?
bibliophile20
post Aug 7 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

Saw this article when I perusing the news and thought of Shadowrun when I saw the paragraph I've bolded:

Sides Square off in chocolate fight
Text of Article:
[ Spoiler ]

So we've had our debates on soy and all of the lovable staples of everyday consumption in the world of 2070, but what happens to the "luxury" items that only the elite can afford, like chocolate, or tobacco, or ice cream, or any of the other items of that nature? If one of us from 2007 was frozen for 63 years and walked into a mid-level corper's home and picked up a 2070 Hershey candy bar, with the label proudly proclaiming that it is made with real chocolate, and took a bite, would we say, ahhh, at least some things don't change, or would we spit it out in disgust?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Aug 7 2007, 06:40 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I sympathize with the companies a tad because I'm one of those people who doesn't give a good god damn about authenticity. If they made awesome new snicker bars that taste good but don't have a bit of chocolate in them, I'd still buy 'em. That said, deceptive labeling is no good and the fact that they use vegetable oil needs to be on that ingredient list. The rest of it sounds more like an issue for the company marketing teams than for the FDA.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 7 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

Most of it is sugar today, and that won't change - you just can't get cheaper.
The stuff with real cacao in non-homeopathic doses in is a delicacy today and that won't change - most people simply don't like it since it's bitter.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Aug 7 2007, 07:16 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

not only that but Chocolate along with Coffee beans causes a lot of problems in the countries that produce it. We hear a lot about "blood diamonds" and other such stuff but chocolate plantations use slave labor too and most of the big producers that would see benefit in switching ingredients are the ones that buy their coco from shady characters anyhow. The companies that already produce "premium" chocolate (the stuff that costs three or four bucks a bar) would continue to do so and likely continue to purchase from the smaller growers anyhow.

As for what things would be like in 2070 I expect that real chocolate would be in the same realm as real dead cow steak or other luxury goods. You could go to your local stuffer shack and buy a Aztechnology patented "chocolyke" bar for fifty cents that would likely taste just like chocolate, if you'd never eaten real chocolate or you could go to a luxury supermarket and buy a real chocolate bar for 7 or 8 nuyen.

As an interesting point of trivia the Hershey chocolate bars that became so famous in WWII, the ones that you saw the GI's handing out to kids and the like were actually pretty gross. They were developed as emergency rations, and a single bar had something ridiculous like 600 calories. The GI's gave them away because they tasted terrible but the kids loved them, they'd never had chocolate before.

+Quote Post
Young Freud
post Sep 3 2007, 09:25 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,423

QUOTE (imperialus)
not only that but Chocolate along with Coffee beans causes a lot of problems in the countries that produce it. We hear a lot about "blood diamonds" and other such stuff but chocolate plantations use slave labor too and most of the big producers that would see benefit in switching ingredients are the ones that buy their coco from shady characters anyhow. The companies that already produce "premium" chocolate (the stuff that costs three or four bucks a bar) would continue to do so and likely continue to purchase from the smaller growers anyhow.

This whole aspect is covered in the West Africa section of Cyberpirates. I forget who the major players are in that (I don't seem to have my copy right now), but, as with a lot of stuff in book, it's pretty well researched and creates a realistic extrapolation.

+Quote Post
Big D
post Sep 3 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

I don't care about authenticity, but I do care about taste. If the cheaper ingredients alter the final product, then they need to come up with a different term for them. Call it Chokolot™, or whatever you like.

On topic: everybody makes a big deal about the soy, but that's based on today's options. In 2070, how good are the flavorings? I'd suspect that some corps would have figured out how to make it far better than even the most expensive veggieburger today.

Then again, I eat mostly processed foods today, and never touch raw unprocessed cuts of meat ($$$); so my taste buds are used to the idea.

+Quote Post
l33tpenguin
post Sep 4 2007, 01:03 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 12,262

Real food ™ is so much better than processed. But thats just my opinion. I love to cook and I love to eat. I like real meat and stinky cheese. I grow my own herbs and chop them fresh, and there is a difference. Chocolate is a drug, literally, and to remove the chemicals by replacing the chocolate with something else makes the product something else. buy a nestle bar and one of those $8 chocolate bars from a specialty store. You'll taste the difference. And even if there isn't a taste difference, those more sensitive to the chemicals in chocolate will notice the difference.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Sep 4 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

For those who can afford it, real quality food does and will continue to taste far better than the alternatives. But, if you live at the shallow end of the money pool and can't afford the :nuyen: for real, odds are you won't know what you're missing.

"I'm used to the taste of my soy-added McBurger and I think it's pretty good. Sure, that pure beef tastes great, but since I can't afford it often I've just gotten used to the taste of the soyburger."

+Quote Post
Penta
post Sep 4 2007, 04:12 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Question on the same regard:

Nutritionally/Diet-wise, how are people in the Sixth World doing to their 2007 counterparts?

(How do you get all the amino acids you need from soy? Some, IIRC, are only present in meat.)

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Sep 4 2007, 04:17 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

In order to live, you have to have the basic vitamins and minerals, of course. One of the great things about soy, IMO, is that you can add pretty much whatever you want to it and flavor it up how you like. It shouldn't be much trouble to have nutrient-enriched soy as the default. "Now with more good stuff for you!"

+Quote Post
Big D
post Sep 4 2007, 04:45 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

If you have a SIN (or a fake one), you shouldn't be able to starve to death if you're actively trying not to. (Of course, you'd think you could say that today, given that ramen is under $.15, and even some meats are around $1/lb). Basic nutritional elements should be available (in flavor dropper form, as pills, or even as part of "real" produce) to anyone who cares enough to purchase them.

If you're in the barrens, you might have a problem, just because there is little or no formal economic infrastructure there. Availability is a problem, and the fact that gangs (plenty of examples today, from Somalia to Sudan) like to use starvation as a weapon doesn't help.

+Quote Post
Kyrn
post Sep 8 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 815

QUOTE (Penta)
(How do you get all the amino acids you need from soy? Some, IIRC, are only present in meat.)

The same way the Chinese have for thousands of years: rice. Most cultures possess two crops that form the staples of their diet. Rice and soybeans in Asia, corn and (normal) beans in South America, wheat and (yet more) beans in much of Europe. Grasses and legumes (beans) separately do not contain all the essential amino acids needed by the human body, but together they do.

Or you could just snag some nice bleeding meat (or fish if you're lazy) and get all the amino acids from one source, but that was harder to do if you were a downtrodden slave working the feudal lord's farm. Said masters did get the meat, they got bigger, and so were better equipped to trod down upon aforementioned masses of slaves.

Ain't life swell?

+Quote Post
Begby
post Sep 8 2007, 05:21 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 12,085

QUOTE (l33tpenguin @ Sep 3 2007, 08:03 PM)
Real food ™ is so much better than processed.  But thats just my opinion.  I love to cook and I love to eat.  I like real meat and stinky cheese.  I grow my own herbs and chop them fresh, and there is a difference.  Chocolate is a drug, literally, and to remove the chemicals by replacing the chocolate with something else makes the product something else.  buy a nestle bar and one of those $8  chocolate bars from a specialty store.  You'll taste the difference.  And even if there isn't a taste difference, those more sensitive to the chemicals in chocolate will notice the difference.

I love foodies! I'm a Chef, so I am with you on that.

There's nothing better than a good organic, fair trade 70% cacao bar.

Most of our fast food establishments right now
use artificial flavoring in every one of their products. McDonald's burgers, Arby's Roast Beef. The chemicals, resins and esters that they put in them are totally trade secrets.

The question is, are they bad for us? That I'm not so sure, so many people say, "It's a chemical..", but really, aren't fresh fruits and vegetables just chemicals at their core? Strawberries naturally produce a chemical that makes them taste like strawberries, just because we can make that same molecule in a lab instead of with a plant doesn't make it toxic.

They're pretty good at capturing flavors right now in a lab, I'm sure they'll be fantastic at it by 2070.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.