IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wait, What? Lifestyle Limitations?!, Only One Lifestyle At a Time...
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 7 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #1

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

I'm seriously confused. A friend of mine recently pointed out that the character creation rules for SR4 states that you can only ever have one Lifestyle. Period. End of story.

Yet in the same breath (meaning the same paragraph), the rules tell you that if you want a safehouse, garage, private storage, workshop, or whatever else, you have to buy it separately.

That left me thoroughly confused by the first limitation mentioned.

With all that in mind, I decide to flip through the gear chapter and have a look. The only two things I could find in relation to the "you have to buy it separately" clause was the price for a safehouse -- at a ridiculous 500-nuyen a day -- and a workshop in the form of a facility which is just the tools, not the housing.

So... what the hell? You want to maintain a scuzzy little hidey-hole in the Ork Underground in case the drek hits the fan, and instead of paying for a Low or Squatter Lifestyle to reflect that maintanence, you instead have to pay 15,000-nuyen a month for it?! That's more than a High Lifestyle. And what are you supposed to do if you want any of the other things the limitation mentioned? A separate workshop? Private storage? Garage?

Seriously. What's with the "only one Lifestyle" limit? It makes no sense whatsoever.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Aug 7 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 769

It doesn't make much sence to me either but the "safehouse" lifestyle is intended to be like hospitalized. Basically it's there when you need it but you only pay while you're using it.

Of course this assumes that there is enouogh of a demand to support an entire safehouse industry which strikes me as a little strange. Sure some organizations are going to maintain safehouses for their members but I can hardly see them maintaining what literally amounts to a very expensive hotel that wanted criminals hide out in. If such an organization did maintain a safehouse then why on gods green earth would they want to rent it out to any Joe who wants to lay low for a while. Half the point of a safehouse is that it's secret... something that is quickly going to change if you have people in and out all the time. Not only that but once the secret is out what is going to keep the cops from periodically kicking the door in just to take a look around and see who they catch.

Personally I run it like in SR3. You have your "primary" lifestyle then as many secondary lifestyles as you can afford. Secondary lifestyles get a 25% discount since lifestyle cost accounts for food, toilet paper and other consumables that you just don't need.

+Quote Post
Unarmed
post Aug 7 2007, 07:22 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,517

We just houseruled it so that you can have more than one lifestyle, because that was a pretty good mechanic in SR3 and I don't see any reason why it doesn't work in SR4.

There was a thread about this a while ago and people came to the conclusion that the 500/day was going to be a safehouse that you needed in a hurry that you didn't have before, not a pre-existing safehouse you had fully set up.

+Quote Post
Bira
post Aug 7 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,768

This makes plenty of sense if you consider that "Lifestyle" is an abstraction for your generic monthly expenses, rather than just your rent for a single place. Finding creative ways to abstract safehouses and other minor stuff shouldn't be a problem - it's hardly the end of the world.

Maybe your character lives a Medium Lifestyle, but pays for High because he mantains multiple secure bolt-holes all through the city (country, world, etc.). Or maybe he lives just an inconsequent smidge below "standard" Medium and mantains a flea-ridden pad in the Barrens. Whatever.

I imagine 500nY per day is for a short-term secure place, the kind you have to rent from some other professional criminal because you need to hide now, and don't have time to set something up yourself.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 7 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Yeah, I realize that's the intent of the Safehouse Service. I only pointed to it because it's the only rule I could find about buying things like that separately from a Lifestyle.

I mean, I could understand if the rule said "you only get starting nuyen from your highest level Lifestyle if you own multiple Liifestyles." That's a reasonable limit to place down, even though I find it equally silly having to use such a mechanic instead of just keeping leftover Resources. But "only one Lifestyle ever ever ever?" Insanity, especially with them telling you that you need more than one if you want the alternatives...

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Aug 7 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

only getting money from your highest lifestyle makes sense to me.

I think the intention behind the "don't keep your starting cash rule" is to prevent people from saving 200K during character creation then spending the money on some wiz peice of availability 18 gear right after the game starts. *shrugs* doesn't make much sense to me but I could see someone doing it.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Aug 7 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Keeping the cash would be ridiculously awesome for some archetypes, honestly. Hitting the streets and immediately buying a Pain Editor could be just what the doctor ordered for a Mage or troll tank with heaps of armor, and that's only 8 bp worth of gear. That said, my group happily ignores the safehouse costs unless we're doing something crazy like asking the Yaks to let us hide out in one of their places of business when the heat is real heavy. Otherwise we just throw in together on an extra low lifestyle apartment with some tools, an autodoc and a few survival kits and some bottled water.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Aug 7 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

I know that fake SINs wearing out is all GM discretion, but I'd think that if the a character actively maintained a lifestyle for it had a an agent+virtual person surf 24/7, order food that you collected etc, that that would stretch out the viability a lot

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Aug 7 2007, 08:58 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

As someone mentioned, this has been discussed before. An official reply came from Rob on page three of this thread.

Enjoy. =)

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 7 2007, 09:02 PM
Post #10

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

Link to coolgrafix's post

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 7 2007, 09:55 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

maybe arsenal or the highly theoretical shadowrunner companion (or whatever it is) will have some specific numbers to suggest...

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Aug 7 2007, 09:57 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 8,856

Are you saying that someone may find a safehouse in your Arse?

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Aug 7 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Only if they ask politely.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Aug 7 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #14

Running Target

I can tell already that my biggest regret when SR5 comes out (no matter how bad it is) is that it will probably put an end to the Arse jokes...

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 7 2007, 11:44 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Bah. That response is basically saying "we dumbed down the rules but made them more complicated than they had to be by telling you to just make shit up for all the stuff we listed right after that rule; good luck figuring out what to do, suckers."

As opposed to, say, exactly what they did in 3rd Edition where you could buy a lifestyle for whatever purpose you described. Those rules were then essentially replaced by the ones in the Sprawl Survival Guide which allowed you to tailor one for whatever purpose you need.

What I find even more amusing is that they got rid of the basic rule because it apparently cost too much in their opinion. Yet the only option they give you is one that costs an absolutely absurd amount! /boggle

Oh well. Easy enough to house rule. Just terribly disappointing. Thanks for the link nonethless; much appreciated.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Aug 7 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Rather it costs a supremely realistic amount... It's just not listed in the book. $500 per day is for a day by day rental, you grab a hotel room, pay someone to put up a quickie ward, and rent some electronic surveillance to put around.

You want a price list for what it costs to set up a safe house without all the attendant costs, go look in the apartments for rent section in your local classifieds.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Aug 8 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #17

Slacker Extraordinaire

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 997

In SR3 I put together a system based on something I saw either on a website or ShadowRN (I couldn't relocate the original so I just stole the concept). I thought someone mentioned that system was going to go into a book, but I don't remember which book. I obviously don't have it. :)

I devided lifestyles out into like 5 categories IIRC (physical space, entertainment, clothing/decor, food, safety) with 5 levels to each. Then people could set the levels they wanted for each item where they liked, for each of their lifestlyes.

So if you want to live on the street, you take a 1 in everything and you pay about what the squatter lifestyle comes out to. If you want to live in the lap of luxury you take a 5 in everything and you pay a little more than canon luxury lifestyle. If you just want a secure parking space for your sports car you take a 3 in Space and Security, and you got your monthly fee. It's a rough idea, but it worked out well for extra lifestyles. It also worked out for implants that required the owner to eat more. Just up your food rating to account for more food.

I can't find my original copy. Maybe I'll see if I can work it up again. I love the idea of rolling augmentation maintenance (and maybe hacker SOTA maintenance) fees into as well.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 8 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

The point is both rules could have existed just fine. The "extra" costs could have just as easily reflected all the maintenance that needed to be done; having someone keep an eye on the property while you're not there, paying a hacker to make it look like it's being lived in in case someone checks up on that fake SIN you have, keeping the utilities running, etc.

Want a garage to park your spare vehicles or drones as a rigger? You're screwed; make up your own rules rather than just buy a lifestyle to reflect it. Want a place to put that Facility you just bought? Tough! Make something up rather than just buy a lifestyle to reflect it. Want a few places around town to hide some emergency kits like a spare gun, ammo, and change of clothes? Sorry, chump, you're on you own. Time to make up prices rather than just reflect it with a few squatter lifestyles.

What exactly was this completely unnecessary rule supposed to do? What possible benefit does it give players? All it does is make things far more complicated than they have to be. For players and GMs.

It's ridiculous that they put a rule like that in the game for the alleged sake of making it easier when it does nothing of the sort. Doubly so while simultaneously leaving out much needed limitations in other areas of the game.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 8 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Aristotle)
In SR3 I put together a system based on something I saw ...

That's extremely similar to the rules in the Sprawl Survival Guide.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Aug 8 2007, 12:13 AM
Post #20

Slacker Extraordinaire

I figured. I think the original author posted them to ShadowRN earlier and then maybe revised and submitted them for that book. I was definately using the system before that book came out (it's on my list of books to buy). All credit goes to the original author of course. I just took what I saw and rebuilt it from memory.

+Quote Post
Demerzel
post Aug 8 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Want a garage to park your spare vehicles or drones as a rigger? You're screwed; make up your own rules rather than just buy a lifestyle to reflect it. Want a place to put that Facility you just bought? Tough! Make something up rather than just buy a lifestyle to reflect it. Want a few places around town to hide some emergency kits like a spare gun, ammo, and change of clothes? Sorry, chump, you're on you own. Time to make up prices rather than just reflect it with a few squatter lifestyles.

Not make up your own rules, make up your own price. A lifestyle is completely inappropriate for a place to park you stepvan. To simply say I’m buying another low lifestyle and just using it’s parking capacity is wasteful, and then you have to say what percentage of a lifestyle is for parking. So you want High Lifestyle level of security what percentage of a high lifestyle is spent on the garage? Is it the same percentage as for a Middle Lifestyle, or a Low Lifestyle, compared to a High Lifestyle? What you’re asking for with multiple lifestyles leaves more questions than answers.

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
What exactly was this completely unnecessary rule supposed to do? What possible benefit does it give players? All it does is make things far more complicated than they have to be.

It's ridiculous that they put a rule like that in the game for the alleged sake of making it easier when it does nothing of the sort. Doubly so while simultaneously leaving out much needed limitations in other areas of the game.

This reminds me a lot of the arguments held here about how it was a mistake to fail to include the mass of every object for sale in the game. It’s a waste of space. I’ve got a concept from my life’s experience what it costs to rent a garage, why do I need to have it spelled out for me? The book gives a sidebar for a variety of services’ costs and that basically gives you an idea of the value of a nuyen, and you just extrapolate what you know. This is probably even simpler than masses of objects. I have a very good idea of what many things costs that I have no clue what their mass is.

In a game I’d much rather hand wave a hazy description of a doss to flop in when I’m on the run, and come up with an agreeable price with than bust out AutoCAD and draft out my garage, with detailed descriptions of the mass and ratings of every security device and the barrier ratings of all the walls, and negotiate my security with the local gang/Lonestar. Life has enough paperwork.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 8 2007, 12:50 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Demerzel @ Aug 7 2007, 06:20 PM)
This reminds me a lot of the arguments held here about how it was a mistake to fail to include the mass of every object for sale in the game.  It’s a waste of space.

A waste of space... how? They added the rule. That took up text. They didn't even have to say anything on the subject or spend exactly the same amount of text to go the other round. "For players wishing to have a personal safehouse, garage, workshop, or other similar alternate facility, simply purhcase an additional lifestyle at the appropriate level and describe it as such."

I’ve got a concept from my life’s experience what it costs to rent a garage, why do I need to have it spelled out for me?

I could look in a gun magazine and find the price of a pistol. Why do I need it spelled out for me? I bought a new outfit last night and know how much a set of clothes cost; why do I need it spelled out for me? I've seen people buy hookers in the movie (honest -- it was just in the movies). Why do I need their prices spelled out to me? etc.

That's probably one of the weakest arguments I've ever seen in my life on these forums.

The book gives a sidebar for a variety of services’ costs and that basically gives you an idea of the value of a nuyen, and you just extrapolate what you know.  This is probably even simpler than masses of objects.  I have a very good idea of what many things costs that I have no clue what their mass is.

Yes, so if I want that aforementioned shitty apartment in the Ork Underground as a safehouse, I now know that I have to spend 15,000+ nuyen a month for it, even though I envisioned it as a Low Lifestyle at absolute best. Since, you know, that's the only guideline on the subject we have beyond the actual lifestyle rules -- which fit perfectly. But we can't use them cause of the arbitrary limit of only one ever ever ever.

In a game I’d much rather hand wave a hazy description of a doss to flop in when I’m on the run, and come up with an agreeable price with than bust out AutoCAD and draft out my garage, with detailed descriptions of the mass and ratings of every security device and the barrier ratings of all the walls, and negotiate my security with the local gang/Lonestar.  Life has enough paperwork.

Unfortunately for your entire argument here, the rules already exist. All it takes is the removal of a single useless -- completely and UTTERLY useless -- limitation to fix everything.

Those lifestyle rules are about as simple as things get in this game. They're abstract, open to interpretation, and can easily be described as a multitude of things. Yet the one thing they're most useful for has been eradicated from the game for... no apparent reason whatsoever. Well, beyond the weak "we thought it cost a little too much, but still want to say 'fuck you' in regards to giving you guidelines or rules to the contrary" argument.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Aug 8 2007, 01:18 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

Hey doc, you are absolutely right. The humans who wrote this game made a dumb mistake. They added a line that made the RAW less usable for absolutely no benifit. buuuutt WHO CARES. Are you, or have you ever played with GM who wouldn't let you rent another place because of this line? Even if you are playing with the strictest RAW Natzi who wouldn't let you maintain multiple life styles as a book keeping convenience, does that line also take away from their ability to make up unpublished goods and services? Do you really think that you can't get a storage locker in another city because its part of some mystical lifestyle package? Any GM who would shoot themselves in the foot over such fundamentalist reading of the RAW deserves to have to think up individual unit costs of all the stuff the plays CAN buy/maintain even if it isn't explicitly listed.
Does anyone have a page number a rule saying more or less "GMs get to add stuff in to the setting as needed because we didn't write down every single everything"?

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 8 2007, 01:44 AM
Post #24

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (imperialus)
It doesn't make much sence to me either but the "safehouse" lifestyle is intended to be like hospitalized. Basically it's there when you need it but you only pay while you're using it.

Of course this assumes that there is enouogh of a demand to support an entire safehouse industry which strikes me as a little strange. Sure some organizations are going to maintain safehouses for their members but I can hardly see them maintaining what literally amounts to a very expensive hotel that wanted criminals hide out in. If such an organization did maintain a safehouse then why on gods green earth would they want to rent it out to any Joe who wants to lay low for a while. Half the point of a safehouse is that it's secret... something that is quickly going to change if you have people in and out all the time. Not only that but once the secret is out what is going to keep the cops from periodically kicking the door in just to take a look around and see who they catch.

A safehouse doesn't have to be secret so long as it is well-protected. The great thing about being extraterritorial is that the biggest enemy of most criminals, the police, can be kept at bay without effort, simply by marking your building as being extraterritorial. This is, after all, a world with private ambulance services will shoot police officers in order to extract wounded criminal clients, extract the police officers who they do shoot, and then charge the officers full price for their hospitalizations.

It is also a world which a crime mall operates openly and notoriously in Seattle. An entire shopping mall dedicated to the selling of illegal goods which everyone knows about and no one makes any attempt to shut down.

+Quote Post
Aristotle
post Aug 8 2007, 01:46 AM
Post #25

Slacker Extraordinaire

QUOTE (WeaverMount)
Does anyone have a page number a rule saying more or less "GMs get to add stuff in to the setting as needed because we didn't write down every single everything"?

Of course GM's can add stuff, but here is an instance where adding really shouldn't need to be necessary. I have to agree with Doc. This rule seems like a (very small) step back rather than forward for the game (to me). They could have left it alone, or (page count permitting) made the optional rules from Sprawl Survival Guide the new default. I think a lot of players like the idea of caches of weapons, safe houses, and such... and would like, simple, standard rules to govern the concept. I don't personally think it's necessary in a standard fantasy game, but given the subject matter of Shadowrun I would have to think these extra spaces would be pretty common in the underworld.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.