IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Orbital Movement, Warp factor 5, Mr. Sulu...
Big D
post Aug 9 2007, 07:27 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,455

Movement has been covered here several times, but I'm not sure that we've really taken the high ground into consideration, beyond things like making Mars trips shorter.

Now, as a disclaimer, I'd recommend against putting on a spacesuit and having a spirit use Movement+Levitate. That might get you to space, but you'd have no real orbital velocity (that would take like a F30 spirit), and would fall straight back down when you ran out of tasks. In addition, if a corp builds a rocket, it can't just plop a spirit inside and expect it to survive space without some big honking support spells or massive biosupport to generate a mana field.

That said, there do appear to be options. For starters, you could use Movement to rapidly get to the edge of the manasphere, at which point the spirit disembarks. This dramatically reduces the total atmospheric drag and shrinks fuel requirements (which has a multiplicative effect, as you can carry less tankage, which means less fuel, which...). However, if you can solve the problem of keeping a spirit safe and comfortable outside the manasphere, then Movement really opens up a can of worms.

For starters, Movement multiplies velocity, not accelleration. Therefore, the instant that the spirit drops Movement, the ship immmediately reverts back to its Newtonian velocity. So, while you could *get* to orbit, you couldn't stay there unless you kept Movement running the entire time, or accellerated to the point at which you could keep orbit without Movement--but in the meantime, Movement would have sent you halfway to the Moon.

Secondly, what happens when a ship under Movement closes with and gently docks with a station running in Newtonian mode? Or, for that matter, another ship running at a different Movement multiplier? Does the other body come under Movement for half a second, causing it to tear off the docking collar and spurt ahead? Do either or both bodies change their base or Movement speeds? And, once docking is complete, can Movement safely be dropped from the ship without (again) tearing both ship and station apart as the ship "drops out of warp"?

On a more grounded note, the same issues apply if you drive a car (*cough* KITT *cough*) with Movement up a ramp into a semi that also has Movement on. Mythbusters, alas, didn't have any handy bound spirits available to test that out on.

So, thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Aug 9 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Big D)
For starters, Movement multiplies velocity, not accelleration. Therefore, the instant that the spirit drops Movement, the ship immmediately reverts back to its Newtonian velocity. So, while you could *get* to orbit, you couldn't stay there unless you kept Movement running the entire time, or accellerated to the point at which you could keep orbit without Movement--but in the meantime, Movement would have sent you halfway to the Moon.

Secondly, what happens when a ship under Movement closes with and gently docks with a station running in Newtonian mode? Or, for that matter, another ship running at a different Movement multiplier? Does the other body come under Movement for half a second, causing it to tear off the docking collar and spurt ahead? Do either or both bodies change their base or Movement speeds? And, once docking is complete, can Movement safely be dropped from the ship without (again) tearing both ship and station apart as the ship "drops out of warp"?

But velocity is completely relative. What happens when you change your frame of reference?
To use your example, a ship is under the movement power and a space station is running in Newtonian mode. (I like the sound of that.) The ship docks. It's velocity (under the movement power) relative to the station is 0. It now drops the movement power, dividing it's velocity of 0 by the force of the spirit, so it's new velocity is 0, resulting in an instantaneous change in velocity of....0. Not really a problem.

Now what happens when a ship under the influence of the movement power changes it's frame of reference? :(

+Quote Post
Big D
post Aug 9 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Simple. You divide by 0 and the universe implodes.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Aug 9 2007, 07:39 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 6,651

Wow... sounds like its straight from some sourcebook's sidebar. :-)

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post Aug 9 2007, 07:41 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

I think it's all achademic until you get the spirit to perform Movement INTO a Level 10 Manawarp instead of THE HELL AWAY.

Wait a tick, was space a Manawarp or a Void? What book was that again?

+Quote Post
Seven-7
post Aug 9 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,198

Double post, crappy work connection.

+Quote Post
Big D
post Aug 9 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

It's a -10 void now, but the difference is about the same as that between ph1 and ph12... both will kill a spirit very fast if it's not protected, just in different ways.

But if you want that Movement goodness in sustainable orbits... that's where the spirit has to go. Unless there's a way for the spirit to keep Movement up while staying safely inside the manasphere...

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Aug 9 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Do multiple spirits using the Movement power each multiply the movement?

Note: Not really curious but its a funny mental picture: "JOE! Quick, re-bind engine #3!"

:-)

+Quote Post
Seven-7
post Aug 9 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

I don't have my books with me at the moment (Always a great start to a post about rules) but could you, in theory, use Levitate on another person then with a spirit service 'raise' the subject a few thousand feet before dropping the spell?

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Aug 9 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Wow... a grappling fire spirit flying upwards burns the target on the way up until they break free and fall to their death.

WOW. I suddenly feel the need to play a summoner very, very badly. :-)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 9 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #11

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...gahh, all this talk of spirits and orbital velocity. I'll just stick to simple good ol' fashioned rocket science with simple good ol' fashioned rocket fuel.
QUOTE (otakusensei)
Wait a tick, was space a Manawarp or a Void? What book was that again?

QUOTE (Big D)
It's a -10 void now

...I knew it, they just had to nerf space as the last complete haven in the universe from magic. :sarcasm:

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Aug 9 2007, 08:48 PM
Post #12

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

In theory you could. Practically, you'd start running into LOS after a few hundred feet. But that's actually good enough for what you're looking for anyway.

Honestly, getting physics to kill people for you is sometimes easier than doing it yourself. People might say the first murder was Cain killing Abel with a rock, but I'm pretty sure a caveman pushed another caveman off a cliff or down a hill first.

+Quote Post
Seven-7
post Aug 9 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Then I guess the next question is if the Spirit of Man can gain/have Movement. If so then I'll have to dig up my old Conjurer of Man.

+Quote Post
Big D
post Aug 9 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

You're talking about an average flight speed of Force(spell)*Force(Movement)*(Force/3)(hits). So, a F6 Man could barely match the base speed of an Air.

+Quote Post
Seven-7
post Aug 9 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Your thinking small, the Summoner of Man summons F12 SoM without a sweat.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 9 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #16

Bushido Cowgirl

...I''ll stick with a Vostok or a Proton. Old school stove bolt tech, but reliable & no drain backlash to worry about. :D

+Quote Post
Big D
post Aug 9 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Yes, but imagine how much more payload you could carry on one if a spirit was backing it up...

And by "you", I mean "a corp".

+Quote Post
Seven-7
post Aug 9 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

12(Levitate Force)*12(Movement Power)*(Hits/3?)

144m/Pass then, at a min, pass is three seconds if I remember...We have 48m/s or roughly 158ft/s. To reach plane level (35,000 Feet, something even the most highly bod centered troll could not survive) it would take 221.518s, or 74 passes. On one success (If I'm reading what you're saying correctly.

+Quote Post
Seven-7
post Aug 9 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

On that same formula it would only take a optical (If that rule still persists in SR4) telescope of the 'target' (For LOS purposes) and you could have someone on the moon in 266,945.139 passes, or 9.26892844 days. I think thats faster than most ship travels to the moon, correct?

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Aug 9 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

Apollo 11 launch July 16 1969, and passed behind Luna on July 19 1969. So thats a fair bit slower. Also could line the space elevator with fiber-optic cable and have ground mages/spirits chucking spells across the gravity well.

+Quote Post
otakusensei
post Aug 10 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,514

A spirit taking you up to the edge of the manasphere would make it quite a bit easier to reach escape velocity. Has there been anything published on the upper height of the field versus low earth orbit?

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 10 2007, 01:02 AM
Post #22

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (Big D)
Yes, but imagine how much more payload you could carry on one if a spirit was backing it up...

And by "you", I mean "a corp".

...A Proton can lift 22 metric tonnes into LEO (185 KM). I don't see a spirit really being able to improve much on that particularly when the vehicle with fuel and oxidant alone has a mass of 691 metric tonnes (Empty Mass 49.25 MT). Unless I'm mistaken (or again the rules were changed) spirit movement on vehicles only affects acceleration/deceleration and does not augment the max movement like it does for metahumans.

Beyond LEO (geostationary or transfer) it would be moot since the spirit would most likely not be around anymore having escaped the Earth's Gaiasphere.

Even larger than the Proton is the Energia which was discontinued after the fall of the Soviet Union. This massive booster, originally designed for lifting the Soviet Shuttle, could put a whopping 100 metric tonnes of payload into LEO 20, MT into geostationary, and 32 MT into Lunar trajectory. Before the project was terminated, there were plans for an even larger variant named the Vulkan-Hercules which would have been capable of placing a phenomenal 175 MT into LEO. (that's basically a fully loaded Airbus A-300)

...like to see a spirit try and dead lift that. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 10 2007, 01:24 AM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

1) iirc, sustaining spirit powers does not require LOS. as such, the spirit doesn't ever have to go into the void, provided the target is in it's line of sight when it starts the power.

2) movement *does* have an affect on the capacity of those russian rockets. if movement increases it's speed by 4 times, for example, it will get to it's destination in 1/4 the time, thereby using up 1/4 the amount of fuel. when it comes to rockets designed to take you into space, 1/4 the amount of fuel is a *lot*

3) even if movement does only increase the accelleration, you can accellerate beyond the max as i recall. thus, movement would still increase the effective maximum speed of a vehicle.

that being said, the spirit movement power does not work by increasing speed. it just gets you from point A to point B "somehow". we don't really know how... it just does it. if i had to give you an explanation, i would say it shortens the distance somehow, without shortening the apparent distance (and yet somehow not increasing the apparent speed) to the people under it's effect.

what can i say, it's magic...

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 10 2007, 01:49 AM
Post #24

Bushido Cowgirl

...it would still take one heck of a high force spirit to move even 45 MT (the empty weight of a Proton with payload). Or, is mass no longer a consideration?

As I understand the increase to vehicle acceleration was something like adding the Spirit's force. Also, it did not have an effect on the actual maximum speed of the vehicle, only in how quickly it was able to reach that speed. I do not have access to my PDFs at the moment (as I am at work) to actually research this.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Aug 10 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

Well, the BBB says on page 289 this about Movement (power)...

Movement
Type: P
Action: Complex
Range: LOS
Duration: Sustained

The critter may increase or decrease the subject's movement rate within the terrain it controls. Multiply or divide the target's movement rate by the critter's magic.

So a Force 4 spirit with Movement could make ANYTHING move at 4x normal speed.

Given that a summoner can with some Karma and effort, get a Force 12-16 Ally...

:eek:

That's some serious speed for orbital craft assuming the spirit can keep the target in LOS.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:39 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.