Reply to this topicStart new topic
> NPC Roster 3, Prime Runners
knasser
post Aug 12 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #1

Shadow Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,636

I know there are still people waiting for responses from me on other things, but I've been pretty busy recently. In the meantime, I thought I'd do another quick NPC selection. These are some existing Prime Runners from my game, all villains of a sort. I've tweaked it a little to take advantage of the new rules in Augmentation.

The direct link is here. My full site is at http://www.knasser.me.uk as always.

And as usual, the only thing I ask in return for this is feedback if you have any and to post back here if you use any of these characters in your games to let me know what happened.

Cheers,

-Khadim.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Aug 12 2007, 08:09 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Dayam. I like them, and I'll be using them, that's for sure, especially Dulac, as one of my PCs is also an expatriated Tir elf.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 12 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #3

Shadow Cartographer

Whoops! Everyone re-download. The troll samurai had an unlikely strength of 4(6). Got the column labels the wrong way round. Fixed now.

Bibliophile - thanks very much. It will be interesting to see how the PC and Dulac get on. Is the PC pro- or anti- the Tir?

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Aug 12 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,125

Badassery , Knasser.

I am gonna prolly pick and steal a bit here and there and use your design as a template for crap for me game... ;)

- der menkey

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
~ Ernest Hemmingway

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 12 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #5

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

He was a Tir Ghost? With those stats?

Use a different syndicate for the trolls - the yaks are the anti-meta one...

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Aug 12 2007, 09:09 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

She's ambivalent/leaning towards pro-Tir; she had to leave thanks to, shall we say, a falling out that she had with the rest of her little coven of Wiccains.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 13 2007, 01:33 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Very nice backgrounds on those. Villains, sympathetic but not wallowing in angst, with perfectly plausible reasons for their actions. Two of the archetypical backgrounds (ex-Tir operative, syndicate muscle) were done without falling into any of the usual cliches.

I think the troll could work for the Yaks - they are (ab)using him, not making him an honorary member or anything. If anything, their anti-meta bias could be used to make his plight even more poignant.

On Dulac - Agility should be 5[8], not 5[3], and the gecko tape gloves and hardware tools need to be moved down from skills to gear.

It seemed a bit unusual to see no dodge skill for either Dulac or Buffalo, although one is a sniper-type and one is a tank-type, so I could see neither of them using full dodge enough to warrant the skill.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Aug 13 2007, 03:38 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Nice work, Knasser.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 13 2007, 06:38 AM
Post #9

Shadow Cartographer

Thanks for all the comments. I've now fixed the typos (of which the lack of Dodge skill was one). I know that Dulac's attributes are slightly lower in some places than the Tir Ghost stats in the book, but he also has a higher Willpower, some useful positive qualities and better skills (he clearly tries harder), whilst the drops are in things that I didn't think would count too much against him such as Logic and Charisma, both of which are still respectable.

It would be easy to swap the Syndicate that backs Buffallo around, but I've kept it as Yakuza for now. He's not only a troll, but also Amerind. They have two counts against him, but I see them as exploiting him and using him. They certainly and clearly don't respect him.

And noonesshowmonkey if you take the Tanamous approach to the characters, this is still good as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I'm just surprised no-one has commented on Buffallo's damage absorbing capacity, but maybe I've just been running a low-powered game and it's not that scary.

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Aug 13 2007, 05:59 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (knasser)
And noonesshowmonkey if you take the Tanamous approach to the characters, this is still good as far as I'm concerned.

Personally, I'm just surprised no-one has commented on Buffallo's damage absorbing capacity, but maybe I've just been running a low-powered game and it's not that scary.

I have no idea what the Tanamous approach is :)

Also, 20/20 is completely absurd. I saw that and literally started laughing. I am currently playing a cybered up monster with an arm and a torso and he runs 12/10 armor and is nigh on impossible to kill. The only chance for a shooter is to drop dice to remove armor, use APDS rounds and otherwise /pwn.

Imagine a HMG with APDS rounds... thats only -6 AP and a long burst would be a damage code around 10 or 12. Hell, he can buy hits in the quantity to survive a long burst from a HMG and then come back and kill the unlucky crew.

Good lord almighty.

- der menkey

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."
~ Ernest Hemmingway

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Aug 13 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #11

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Wow, your ref isn't trying 12/10 sounds like a reasonable armour for a street sam, but a tank should be pushing over thirty to soak after a little advancement. Buffalo clocks a mere 29 (before AP). I've seen soak pools in the high thirties from due to wear (okay I'll admit it includes stacking Bone lace and Bone density aug).

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 13 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #12

Shadow Cartographer

Goodness! I thought Buffalo's armour was impressive. 30+ dice to soak is not, not nice. If a GM ever wanted to boost it up, it would be easy to throw in some bone density... but I don't like combing that stuff with multiple cyberlimb characters because it seems a little abusive. Flavour-wise, the cyberlimbs would reduce the impact of the bone lacing. Ditto for certain other things like dermal plating. Don't forget he's got 17 boxes on his condition monitor, mind you.

I'm kind of with noonesshowmonkey on this one. I suppose he could always be possessed if you wanted... :)

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Aug 13 2007, 09:25 PM
Post #13

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

The condition boxes is impressive, one of the real strengths of cyber limbs.

I've built a troll who hit low thirties after about 50 karma, and I've seen a very high karma elf (converted from 3rd ed) hit the thirties. I've seen the elf demolish a car by diving through a windscreen. Back in third ed she took no damage from full auto blast from an Assault Rifle so the new build fits.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 13 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #14

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey)
Also, 20/20 is completely absurd. I saw that and literally started laughing. I am currently playing a cybered up monster with an arm and a torso and he runs 12/10 armor and is nigh on impossible to kill. The only chance for a shooter is to drop dice to remove armor, use APDS rounds and otherwise /pwn.

I don't think your GM is really trying. My latest mage (and pretty much all my characters) has Armor 11/9 (13/11 w/ helmet) with no effort whatsoever (and no magic). A Cyberdude with 12/10 doesn't really seem that impressive.

+Quote Post
noonesshowmonkey
post Aug 13 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
I don't think your GM is really trying. My latest mage (and pretty much all my characters) has Armor 11/9 (13/11 w/ helmet) with no effort whatsoever (and no magic). A Cyberdude with 12/10 doesn't really seem that impressive.

Thats 12/10 naked. Birthday suit. Caught taking a dump. Au Nautral.

Helmets are booshkie and I do not allow them in my games as listed. I allow for the head to be armored so that called shots to the noggin get armor (life saving, mind you). As written, they are munchkinny.

I am generally of the opinion that its the players who are no longer trying whenever someone reaches for over 20 or so dice. Other than laughing maniacally at the mitful of d6's, theres not much else to it. To me, the novelty wears thin quickly. Furthermore, the player that rolls 20+ on any given check naturally increases the threat level of the adventure, eclipses other players and steals the spotlight, and eventually gets other people killed.

If I was firing at a 30+ dice damage soaker... the only way to threaten that kind of beast with a standard fight it out combat situation would be several sniper teams doing aimed headshots, 2 actions to aim, drop armor, use APDS blah blah blah. Or Panther Cannons, miniguns and the like - "ordinance", not "guns". Sounds a little absurd to me.

To each his own.

- der menkey

~ Ernest Hemmingway

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 14 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #16

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey)

Fair enough. :)

+Quote Post
neko128
post Aug 14 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey)
[QUOTE=Fortune,Aug 13 2007, 05:05 PM]
If I was firing at a 30+ dice damage soaker... the only way to threaten that kind of beast with a standard fight it out combat situation would be several sniper teams doing aimed headshots, 2 actions to aim, drop armor, use APDS blah blah blah. Or Panther Cannons, miniguns and the like - "ordinance", not "guns". Sounds a little absurd to me.

If most of those dice are armor dice, then wouldn't toxins work just as well? Especially if it's natural (easier to get contact poisons through less armor). A gas grenade, a poison squirter (Ares Squirt, was it?), even an Air Elemental's Engulf attack... Natural body on a Troll is annoyingly high anyway, but...

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 14 2007, 01:04 AM
Post #18

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (noonesshowmonkey)

Helmets are booshkie and I do not allow them in my games as listed. I allow for the head to be armored so that called shots to the noggin get armor (life saving, mind you). As written, they are munchkinny.

I am generally of the opinion that its the players who are no longer trying whenever someone reaches for over 20 or so dice. Other than laughing maniacally at the mitful of d6's, theres not much else to it. To me, the novelty wears thin quickly. Furthermore, the player that rolls 20+ on any given check naturally increases the threat level of the adventure, eclipses other players and steals the spotlight, and eventually gets other people killed.

To each his own.

- der menkey

~ Ernest Hemmingway

1 Stunbolt. Resist with Willpower. Damage is Stun. Stun track is determined by Willpower.

When a player can roll 20+ dice on any given check, and the others can't do anywhere near that, then those other players need brain transplants.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 14 2007, 01:17 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

In a way, super-high armor can work against you - it converts damage to stun, but often your stun track isn't as high. Still, nearly 30 dice to soak with will give him about 10 successes, on average, which will soak most small arms fire at least.

Toturi is right about mana spells being an Achilles heel for him, though. And those ignore armor.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 14 2007, 08:15 AM
Post #20

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (Glyph)
In a way, super-high armor can work against you - it converts damage to stun, but often your stun track isn't as high. Still, nearly 30 dice to soak with will give him about 10 successes, on average, which will soak most small arms fire at least.

Toturi is right about mana spells being an Achilles heel for him, though. And those ignore armor.

I don't design NPCs who are immune to everything. Everyone has an achilles heal by intention. Shadowrun is a game of rock, paper, scissors with treachery and deceit being the methods by which one peeks behind your opponents back to see what they're going to choose.

In Buffalo's case, he's vulnerable to magic. If he weren't, there'd be less need for him to use good tactics and the game would become dull. Even Lucia, who is terrifying, has weaknesses.

+Quote Post
fumble
post Aug 14 2007, 09:57 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 8,687

They're very good characters - I particularly like the character developement of Dulac, who would actually make a good PC. It'd almost be a shame to just have him fight the characters - you want him to be recurrent at the very least !

On an aside note, I browsed your website, and really liked the Carnival idea.

Obviously, it reminds me of HBO's excellent series, but also of a World of Darkness extension (the Midnight Circus, I think, with different circles of influence, and an uber-powerful triumvirate ruling the whole carnival).

I found the character of Laylah extremely interesting - an excellent antagonist for all those PCs that have a chivalrous streak to them (I'm probably more guilty than anybody else, I know I would fall for it).

The only remark I'd make is that it somehow doesn't quite add up to have a roving carnival in an age where entertainement is so easily accessible and elaborate. However, I think areas like the Barrens are seriously deprived of any means of entertainment, and a thing like the Carnival would really have a purpose in that kind of environement - and who cares if some Barrens people have their essence drained or disappear ? Seriously ? It'd be a good way for the Carnival to remain under the radar.

Overall, an excellent idea well executed - great work.

Cheers,
Fumble.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Aug 14 2007, 06:04 PM
Post #22

Shadow Cartographer

QUOTE (fumble @ Aug 14 2007, 09:57 AM)
They're very good characters - I particularly like the character developement of Dulac, who would actually make a good PC. It'd almost be a shame to just have him fight the characters - you want him to be recurrent at the very least !

On an aside note, I browsed your website, and really liked the Carnival idea.

Obviously, it reminds me of HBO's excellent series, but also of a World of Darkness extension (the Midnight Circus, I think, with different circles of influence, and an uber-powerful triumvirate ruling the whole carnival).

I found the character of Laylah extremely interesting - an excellent antagonist for all those PCs that have a chivalrous streak to them (I'm probably more guilty than anybody else, I know I would fall for it).

The only remark I'd make is that it somehow doesn't quite add up to have a roving carnival in an age where entertainement is so easily accessible and elaborate. However, I think areas like the Barrens are seriously deprived of any means of entertainment, and a thing like the Carnival would really have a purpose in that kind of environement - and who cares if some Barrens people have their essence drained or disappear ? Seriously ? It'd be a good way for the Carnival to remain under the radar.

Overall, an excellent idea well executed - great work.

Cheers,
Fumble.

Thank you! Dulac actually was an idea that I had for a PC, but I almost exlusively GM these days, so I never got the chance to make him up as a character. I would have loved to finish a game session with him sitting alone in his apartment, handcuffing himself to the radiator and taping on the trodes, while the rest of the team are out getting wasted at the After Run party. :)

I've never seen HBO's Carnival or WoD's Midnight Circus, but both have been mentioned in reference to the adventure. The inspiration was actually a comment made by Meriss here on the forums, and from having read Something Wicked This Way Comes as a child. SnowRaven also ran it and pointed out that the Traditional or Hedge Witchcraft tradition from Street Magic was a far better and creepier fit for the Cabal than Black Magic and I agree with him. Latin mumbo-jumbo just doesn't compare to finding a straw doll with human hair under your pillow.

I think there would always be a place for a travelling carnival, even in the sixth World. Maybe especially in the Sixth World. Now they can see real magic! And some of the entertainment booths are things you can't get at home even though they're tech-based: "Record a SIM of you and your partner having sex, to play back years from now! Or send the recording to your ex's to show them what they're missing! Only 25 :nuyen: Two for the price of three!" And as you pointed out... there's poor Laylah, who just needs someone to look after her... ;)

I'm doing another full adventure which I hope to have up sometime toward the end of next week, plus I've almost finished the Matrix Examples, which grew into something unexpected and I'll repost that. I'll start a thread when they're up!

Thanks for the comments,

-Khadim.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:57 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.