Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Question about Captain Chaos
darthmord
post Aug 17 2007, 06:14 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,548

What book(s) would I need to read to find out what happened to the good Cap?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Aug 17 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

System Failure

There's also discussion on ghosts in the machine in Emergence. His final fate is never exactly made crystal clear however.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Aug 18 2007, 05:22 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,209

Is there ever any more data on JackBNimble other than the little blurb in System Failure? I mean, in there, he seems to save the Cap's personality, but then leaves it very much up in the air whether the personality is then deleted.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Aug 18 2007, 06:59 AM
Post #4

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

If you want, Neko, PM me and I'll give you all of the 'facts' I worked out for JackBNimble for a prior game of mine. The written info is sparse, but a lot can be inferred from the System Failure text. What I'd be giving you wouldn't be so much canon as 'extrapolated from Canon'.

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Aug 18 2007, 07:04 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

QUOTE (Adarael)
If you want, Neko, PM me and I'll give you all of the 'facts' I worked out for JackBNimble for a prior game of mine. The written info is sparse, but a lot can be inferred from the System Failure text. What I'd be giving you wouldn't be so much canon as 'extrapolated from Canon'.

Why not put it up somewhere where everybody cane access it?

I, for one, would love to see what you "extrapolate" from the Canon material.

Lars

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Aug 18 2007, 07:25 AM
Post #6

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

Agreed. Theories are always fun.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 18 2007, 08:42 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I'll throw in my voice for you to post that here, Adarael.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 18 2007, 08:47 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Not me. I don't want to see anything of the sort!

(Reverse psychology for the win!)

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Aug 18 2007, 11:08 AM
Post #9

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

I'm joining the row of people who want you to post it. :D

+Quote Post
neko128
post Aug 18 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Adarael)

Well, since when I click on a person's profile all I get is a blank page (and thus I'm unsure how to PM someone otherwise), I'll join the votes for posting it publically. However, if you'd rather not, please feel free to PM it to me.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 18 2007, 07:20 PM
Post #11

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

You can access the PM system by clicking the 'x new messages' link at the top of the page and then manually sending your PM.

But we want him to post it here regardless. :D

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Aug 18 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #12

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Alrighty. I'll organize it and throw some stuff up.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Aug 18 2007, 08:29 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

out of curiosity, what's "up in the air" about whether or not Cap's personality was deleted during SF?

+Quote Post
neko128
post Aug 18 2007, 09:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (mfb)
out of curiosity, what's "up in the air" about whether or not Cap's personality was deleted during SF?

When Cap is in Shadowland overseeing backups, he's the last one there. He tries to log out, but is too late; the Jormungand virus has arrived and locked him down. He blacks out. He wakes up again in a dead gray zone (data storage); he's talked to by something that identifies itself as JackBNimble (the file Dunkelzahn willed to him). He asks what it's done to him; it says "You are saved". He asks it what he is; it responds he's a file, but that there was an error, and he is flawed and should be deleted. JackBNimble then leaves.

It ends with this paragraph:

A silent scream within the imaginary walls of his prison.
There was nothing. No Matrix. No grid. No cyberspace. Just
the empty blackness of data storage.
[IMPRINT FLAWED]
[DELETE? Y/N]

with no answer to the prompt.

So yeah, his persona has obviously been stored in the Matrix somewhere, saved (in the literal sense of a data file, not as in "rescueing") by JackBNimble; but he's already showing signs of insanity, and it's left very uncertain whether he pulls himself together, goes insane, or kills himself.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Aug 19 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #15

Running Target

After having read the entirety of System Failure, I'd vote for the good Cap to show up at a later point as one of the new AIs. Nothing like Deus, Mirage, or Morgan/Magaera but still an AI nonetheless.

I also found it interesting that the original 3 AIs... nothing in the fluff specifically states they are gone. Just a lot of text about how the worm was tearing up the white tree of Deus.

I'd have to say it merely left a lot of loose ends rather than definitively tidying things up.

+Quote Post
neko128
post Aug 19 2007, 02:37 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Emergence includes this quote:

All three identified AIs (known respectively as Deus, Morgan/Maegara, and Mirage) possessed god-like abilities within the Matrix as well as vast and not-entirely-human intellects.  Their personalities and agendas were diverse, but they no longer exist, so they do not appear in Emergence

I believe they're all supposed to have "died" (if that's the right word) on November 2nd, 2065, in the ECSE fight involving the three AIs, a number of Technomancers, the Jormungand viral egg placed by Puck, a Dissonance Well, and a large number of very, very unhappy stock brokers.

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Aug 21 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,235

I'd like to hear more on this too, wha'd'ya say, Adarael? I mean, I just got into SR4, but seeing these little excerpts from the books, this stuff looks damn cool.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Aug 21 2007, 02:33 PM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (neko128)
Emergence includes this quote:

All three identified AIs (known respectively as Deus, Morgan/Maegara, and Mirage) possessed god-like abilities within the Matrix as well as vast and not-entirely-human intellects.  Their personalities and agendas were diverse, but they no longer exist, so they do not appear in Emergence

I believe they're all supposed to have "died" (if that's the right word) on November 2nd, 2065, in the ECSE fight involving the three AIs, a number of Technomancers, the Jormungand viral egg placed by Puck, a Dissonance Well, and a large number of very, very unhappy stock brokers.

I read what you say but at the same time... I am reminded of the text in the various SR BBBs... about using HoG to save a memorable villain from certain destruction.

I also refer to this as "It ain't dead until I see the body dismembered, separated to the corners of the planet, and summarily vaporized twice".

AKA: If you don't have the body, they aren't dead.

AIs make it difficult to find the body, so to speak...

(Yes, I am the kind of runner that would put 2-3 more bullets into a "dead" opponent just to make sure.)

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Aug 21 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #19

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

QUOTE (darthmord)
After having read the entirety of System Failure, I'd vote for the good Cap to show up at a later point as one of the new AIs. Nothing like Deus, Mirage, or Morgan/Magaera but still an AI nonetheless.

I also found it interesting that the original 3 AIs... nothing in the fluff specifically states they are gone. Just a lot of text about how the worm was tearing up the white tree of Deus.

I'd have to say it merely left a lot of loose ends rather than definitively tidying things up.

For my two cents, I liked all of the loose ends. Each one is now a new possible storyline or twist in a larger storyline. I'm pretty sure that Unwired, when it lays out rules for AIs will explain the hows and whys of smaller AIs and definitively tell us whether the bigger AIs could even process.

Personally, my character is going to start rounding up several and baking at a low temperature for 2-3 hours.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 09:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.