IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barrett Sniper Rifle Stats, The downfall of an overgenerous GM...
Dizzman
post Aug 17 2007, 09:34 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,306

Alright, as a GM, I become a little too generous after a difficult mission and gave one of the P.C.s a Barrett Sniper Rifle as a reward from a generous Johnson.

I'm trying to design the stats for the rifle and I am finding myself in pickle. Upping the damage of the other sniper rifles would put the Barrett at the same damage level as the Panther Cannon. In fact, just adding EX Explosive ammo to the Ranger Arms provides the same damage and AP as the Panther. I figure just the special rounds of the Barrett would probably put the damage at 10P and -5 AP.

Does anyone have any house made rules for the Barrett I can compare my stats to? I'll post what I've done so far, once I fire up my other computer.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 17 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Barrett Sniper Rifle (Ranger Arms SM-4). Accessories: Scope with every damn available perk on the planet + box of APDS ammo.

That wasn't too hard.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Aug 17 2007, 09:43 PM
Post #3

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

I stat it at 9p -4AP, with the option of putting any ammo you like in it. 10P -5 with ex ex
or 9P -8AP with APDS.

+Quote Post
Big D
post Aug 17 2007, 09:44 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,455

I do trust that the Barrett will be in Arsenal?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 17 2007, 09:48 PM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Barrett Sniper Rifle (Ranger Arms SM-4). Accessories: Scope with every damn available perk on the planet + box of APDS ammo.

Yep! That's what I'd do.

+Quote Post
Dizzman
post Aug 17 2007, 10:16 PM
Post #6

Target

Thanks for the ideas. I would like it to be a bit different and a step up from the other sniper rifles. Here is what I have so far - transfered from Cannon Companion.

Sniper Rifle___Damage_AP__Mode_RC__Ammo_Availability__Cost
Barrett 121____10P___-7____SA__(2)___10____20F________7,5000

The Barrett is a specially designed .50 caliber anti-material rifle designed to take out lightly armored vehicles, combat drones and materialized spirits. It's heavy caliber gives the Model 121 a -2 recoil modifier on each shot (including the first). This recoil can partially be offset by the weapon's folding bipod, which provides 2 points of recoil comp. The custom ammunition for the Model 121 costs 200 nuyen per box of 10 and has the same availability as the rifle.

The Barrett Model 121 comes with an integral barrel mounted silencer, a internal smartgun system and a scope with electronic vision magnification, low light and thermographic vision.

Too much? Note that there is a snowball's chance in hell of him getting more ammo for it anytime soon (he has 20 rounds now). 8)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 17 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

The point is that you can make it different and even a step up without actually making it more powerful stat-wise.

+Quote Post
l33tpenguin
post Aug 17 2007, 10:34 PM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 12,262

QUOTE (Dizzman)
Thanks for the ideas. I would like it to be a bit different and a step up from the other sniper rifles. Here is what I have so far - transfered from Cannon Companion.

Sniper Rifle___Damage_AP__Mode_RC__Ammo_Availability__Cost
Barrett 121____10P___-7____SA__(2)___10____20F________7,5000

The Barrett is a specially designed .50 caliber anti-material rifle designed to take out lightly armored vehicles, combat drones and materialized spirits. It's heavy caliber gives the Model 121 a -2 recoil modifier on each shot (including the first). This recoil can partially be offset by the weapon's folding bipod, which provides 2 points of recoil comp. The custom ammunition for the Model 121 costs 200 nuyen per box of 10 and has the same availability as the rifle.

The Barrett Model 121 comes with an integral barrel mounted silencer, a internal smartgun system and a scope with electronic vision magnification, low light and thermographic vision.

Too much? Note that there is a snowball's chance in hell of him getting more ammo for it anytime soon (he has 20 rounds now). 8)

Thats a bit over the top, is that something pulled straight from the CC, or something you've made on your own?

+Quote Post
Dizzman
post Aug 17 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #9

Target

Good Point. Perhaps I'm over thinking this. Call it a Barrett, give it a stat boost, and call it a day.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 17 2007, 10:40 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Dizzman)
I would like it to be a bit different and a step up from the other sniper rifles.

That isn't needed at all. At most, just give it it's own special type of APDS that has an added perk against Hardened/Vehicle Armor. Say "increase the DV by 50% for purposes of determining whether or not the round damages hardened armor" or some such. Increased damage and AP is just not necessary, not in SR4.

+Quote Post
l33tpenguin
post Aug 17 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (Dizzman @ Aug 17 2007, 05:35 PM)
Good Point.  Perhaps I'm over thinking this.  Call it a Barrett, give it a stat boost, and call it a day.

Barret rifles aren't THAT much more powerful than other rifles out there. They use a 50 cal BMG round that is used in many other sniper rifles, as well as most heavy machine guns. I wouldn't doubt that the HMG-2 is supposed to represent the M-2 50 cal machine gun that exists today.

Its scope is rail mounted, so the sky would be your limit on a scope.
Damage 9P, to set it a bit above the others.
AP 4, because it is a more powerful round
Mode, SA
RC 2(4), intergraded Gas Vent 2, stock with shock pad, collapsible bi-pod
Ammo 10c
availability 18F
Cost 7,600

The Barret is considered a heavy weapon in regards to recoil. It can only be fired from a prone, or supported position, though some trolls might be strong enough to hold it while standing. Deploying the bipod requires a simple action.

Yes, its lethal. Its also a large weapon and you are going to suffer when you start having uncompensated recoil. Also, it can't be used on the run. And, to take advantage of the additional 2 points of RC, you have to spend a simple action to deploy the bipod. You do get the best sniper rifle around. You also pay the price.

+Quote Post
Dizzman
post Aug 17 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #12

Target

Good posts. I think I have what I am going to use. I like having the Barrett designed as a anti-material weapons with specially designed ammo for that purpose. Here is what I have:

Sniper Rifle Damage AP Mode RC Ammo Availability Cost
Barrett Model 121 8P -7 SA (3) 10 20F ¥7,5000

The Barrett is a specially designed .50 caliber anti-material rifle designed to take out lightly armored vehicles, combat drones and materialized spirits. Due to its heavy caliber, the Model 121 suffers double recoil modifiers for uncompensated recoil. The weapon comes with a rigid stock with a shock pad, a folding bipod that provides 2 points of recoil compensation, an integral barrel mounted silencer, an internal smartgun system and a scope with electronic vision magnification, low light and thermographic vision.

The Barrett Model 121 has custom designed .50 caliber depleted uranium titanium alloy APDS ammo that negates hardened armor and can penetrate vehicle armor even if the DV does not exceed the vehicle’s modified armor rating. The custom ammunition for the Model 121 costs ¥200 nuyen per box of 10 and has an availability of 18F. The Barrett Model 121 can use regular APDS ammo, but does not negate hardened or vehicle armor.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 17 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

there is no vehicle armor... vehicles don't actually have a different kind of armor, it's just that as objects they are immune to stun damage.

+Quote Post
Dizzman
post Aug 17 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #14

Target

Vehicles ignore damage below their modified armor. I just looked it up. It's exactly like hardened armor from SR3, they just didn't call it that.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 18 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #15

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Dizzman)
Vehicles ignore damage below their modified armor. I just looked it up. It's exactly like hardened armor from SR3, they just didn't call it that.

no, it's nothing like hardened armor from SR3. vehicle armor in SR4 has no special properties, it's exactly like normal armor. the only difference is that when a troll with 6 points of armor is hit by a DV of 4P, it becomes 4s and the troll has to resist it (which he probably will) whereas when a vehicle is hit by a DV of 4P and has 6 points of armor, the damage is converted to stun... and is incapable of damaging an object, because objects (including vehicles) don't have a stun track.

seriously, vehicle armor in SR4 is normal armor, it's just that the rules for how normal armor works has been modified such that the outcome looks similar to what it would be for hardened armor.

+Quote Post
Dizzman
post Aug 18 2007, 12:16 AM
Post #16

Target

I haven't checked errata to see if they changed the rule...but the rule is on page 158 of the base book.

"If an attack's modified DV does not exceed a vehicle's modified Armor rating, then the attack automatically fail."

The fluff is different, the rules are the same. Vehicles don't take damage from DV below their armor rating. Which is exactly what I said in the Barrett description I wrote up.

Why are you arguing with me again?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 18 2007, 01:49 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

because it has nothing to do with vehicle armor. as written, the attack still gets converted to stun, and still does nothing to vehicles.

and if you change it so that the gun does physical damage even if the DV goes below the armor rating, then the gun has to do the same thing to regular armor, because they use the exact same rules.

in any event, if you want to add a gun that basically makes armor meaningless, then go ahead... but don't be surprised if everyone in your group starts ignoring every other gun, because this one completely ignores how armor works.

+Quote Post
Chaucer
post Aug 18 2007, 01:50 AM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 12,388

Having a bit of knowledge/experience with the Barrett and other big-bore rifles, here are my two cents on this topic. For the record, l33tpenguin and I are pretty close to complete agreement.

Damage: 9P

I went with this because the PJSS Elephant Rifle in the RAW is given a 9P DV. As a double-barreled rifle designated as an "elephant gun" it more than likely is represented as firing one of the traditional heavy safari-grade cartridges. These traditional big-bore safari rounds (.505 Gibbs, .416 & .450 Ribgy, .500 Nitro Express, and .460 Weatherby Magnum) are all in the same tier as the .50 BMG as far as damage is concerned. Slightly less-powerful safari-grade cartridges (the most famous of which is the .375 H&H Magnum) are more commonly fired from bolt-action rifles.

AP: -3 or -4

This one is really a toss-up and could go either way. Standard ammo for the Barrett is a .50 BMG full metal jacket cartridge. In target shooting, it will SOMETIMES penetrate 1-inch steel plate, but I've seen it ricochet just as often. I would probably lean towards the -4 AP value though.

Mode: SA (you could incorporate the cheaper single shot version as well if you wish).

RC: 2(4)

I agree almost completely with l33tpenguin on this one. Using the bipod is very important to get the full effect. I would like to add one other importnat matter as well. The most important aspect of the Barrett's considerable built-in recoil compensation its huge muzzle brake. The rifle actually has far less recoil than you would expect from such a high-caliber rifle (even considering its weight), but if you are ever near one when it is fired without any form of hearing protection, your ears won't stop ringing for 4 days. Attempting to put a silencer on a Barrett would require the removal of the brake (and possibly remove two points of its RC). In any case, I'm not even sure that you could find a silencer for such a weapon. One would have to be custom-made and would almost certainly only be good for one shot. I also agree with the idea of its uncompensated recoil modifiers being doubled.

The Barrett is NOT concealable by any stretch of the imagination.

Okay, now for the tricky part - specialty ammo. I would allow runners to fire explosive or EX explosive rounds through the Barret with the same modifiers listed in the book, however APDS is another story.

As Dizzman mentioned, the special armor-piercing ammo that is currently made for the Barrett is made from a depleted uranium alloy. It is available to the millitary only (I've never seen anyone who had any), and I would imagine that it is obscenely expensive. I have no issues with giving the rifle a -7 AP mod when firing this type of ammo, but I would give it something like a 20F availability and give it a price in the 100 nuyen per shot range (plus whatever extra you have to pay to get access to it).

I would personally be extremely reluctant to add this or any other "home-brewed" gun to the firearms list, because I think that ranged combat is already quite powerful enough in the RAW, and once you open the Pandora's box of adding real-world weapons to the game, things can get out of control pretty quickly. That's just my personal preference though. You should, of course, do as you wish in your own game.

I hope I've been of at least some assistance.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 18 2007, 01:51 AM
Post #19

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

QUOTE (Jaid)
there is no vehicle armor... vehicles don't actually have a different kind of armor, it's just that as objects they are immune to stun damage.

Which is really sad, since this means that you can't dsable a car with a baseball bat.

+Quote Post
l33tpenguin
post Aug 18 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)
QUOTE (Jaid @ Aug 17 2007, 06:52 PM)

Which is really sad, since this means that you can't dsable a car with a baseball bat.

You can't disable a car with a baseball bat....

You can beat the crap out of it and make it look like a junker, dent in the hood, break lights and glass, but the car is still going to be just fine. You would be hard pressed to even penetrate the hood to do damage to the engine

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Aug 18 2007, 02:26 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

I much prefer the .416 sniper rifle and round. Makes the .50 Barret look weak.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 18 2007, 02:28 AM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

QUOTE (l33tpenguin @ Aug 18 2007, 12:18 PM)
You can't disable a car with a baseball bat....

I beg to differ.

But insert sledgehammer, or crowbar, or any non-edged weapon of your choice instead if you like. The point is the same. A maxed-out Cybertroll with a sledgehammer cannot disable a car, but an unarmed human with bone lacing can indeed do that very thing. It's somewhat silly if you look at it in that light.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Aug 18 2007, 02:39 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Vehicles Armor isn't immune to Stun damage. Vehicles are, but not the Armor. Which is awfully silly considering the abstract nature of damage in this game. Would have been better to give them a Stun Condition Monitor but have it leave the vehicle unaffected; but once you exceeded it, Physical damage begins to occur. (Hell, even give it some kind of bonus against Stun, like twice its rating, and it would still be better from a logical point of view.)

That said, I see no reason a baseball bat wouldn't be able to completely demolish a microdrones. Yet, apparently, they can't due to the Stun nature of the damage and them being a Vehicle. Nevermind the Body 0/Armor 0 portions.

+Quote Post
l33tpenguin
post Aug 18 2007, 02:45 AM
Post #24

Target

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
I much prefer the .416 sniper rifle and round. Makes the .50 Barret look weak.

Weak really isn't the right term.

I'm still unsure of the newer .416

Its faster and flys flatter, but I've yet to hear if it has the same power as the .50 rounds. As I understand it, .416 would have decidedly less kenetic force compared to the .50, though I'm still learning about itand haven't had a chance to see it in action.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Aug 18 2007, 03:38 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

the .416 is basically designed to be a long range sniper round. The .50 is not basically designed to be one.

Check out the Military Channel's "Future Weapons" show, it as a segment on the .416,,it has a longer range than the .50 too.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.