Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tunguska [spoilers warning], When Shadowrun meets X-Files
treehugger
post Aug 21 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,342

I was reading Shadows of Asia last night and i was really interested in the Yakut part.
To sum up for those that didnt read it, or dont recal that part, it seems that Siberia declared independance from Russia with the help of Shapeshifters and more importantly of a Free Spirit of massive power.
After independance, they realised the price they had to pay : the Shapeshifters are running the dance now and any who opposes them dissapear. Most ignore everything about the spirit, but she is the power behind the shapeshifters.
That's for the Yakut part.

Regarding Tunguska, famous "Alien Crash Site" the shadow posters make interesting comments : the crash is not an UFO, but some "device" that was sent in space thousands of years ago, and that crashed back. Another poster says it was actualy some kind of spirit that was imprisoned and sent away.
In those posts there is no link between the spirit ruling yakut and that imprisoned spirit sent in space.

So, any of you have more information regarding this story ? any supposition to what could be that spirit ? (the one ruling yakut and the one imprisoned).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MITJA3000+
post Aug 21 2007, 11:28 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,552

IIRC it's name was Verniya. But other than that, I don't remember. Harlequin might have had something to do with the spirit prison being whacked into the orbit, or then not. My guess is that it's somekind of a shadow spirit, but not a horror.

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Aug 21 2007, 11:35 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Thanks for the name Mitja :)
But do you think both stories are linked ? (Verniya and the entrapped spirit sent in space)
Besides why would Harlequin be linked to that story (or stories) ?
What's a shadow spirit if not some kind of horror spawn ?
I'm not familiar with Earthdawn, is there any similar story ? (regarding a shapeshifter kingdom or a spirit sent in space ?)

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Aug 21 2007, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Back in "Smuggler's Haven's" Harlequin makes a joking reference towards Tunguska that they were trying to give earth another moon, rather than it being something that had fallen to earth on it's own, basically they were trying to get rid of it and due to the low mana level (early 20 century) hadn't achieved escape velocity. Maybe they were worried the spirit would break out once the mana level returned.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Aug 21 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Snow Fox is better than I am at this stuff but I think the real thing was a massive explosion in 1912. some people say it was a UFO but many people think it was a meteor hitting the earth. You could ask what sent the meteor or UFO or what ever it was.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Aug 21 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #6

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

According to Harlequin it was an attempt to hurl a big rock off earth, it didn't make it and landed with a bang!
IRL it seems to be a meteor that exploded before impact, hence huge area of devastation and not a huge crater.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Aug 21 2007, 09:01 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

I remember learning about Tunguska in an astronomy course as an undergrad. Apparently, all those people who went and hyped Tunguska up into some great big conspiracy theory about aliens or whatever are a most hated anathema to astronomer types because they represent the flabby and expansive stupid smothering serious and scientific inquiry into things.

Since that's how the issue was introduced to me in an astronomy class, I propose that the Tunguska projectile is actually a capsule full of alien furries with superpowers created by an intergalactic Con of Darkness.

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Aug 22 2007, 06:10 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

I know the RL stuff about Tunguska : There was trees burnt and lying on the ground around 100 km, but the scientists at the time never found an impact nor a residual of what fell, this is the hype around Tunguska, and the end of the story might be know next year with a new expedition.
I want to know the SR stuff ^^

+Quote Post
MITJA3000+
post Aug 22 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (treehugger)
But do you think both stories are linked ? (Verniya and the entrapped spirit sent in space)
I'm not familiar with Earthdawn, is there any similar story ? (regarding a shapeshifter kingdom or a spirit sent in space ?)

As for the stories being linked, I guess it isn't stated anywhere clearly. But given that Verniya is being described as a mean spirit, I think it is reasonable to assume that they are the same, with the location and all.

I don't remember how the shadow spirits are described, but I recall that they are not horrors. And if the spirit in question would be a horror, why would Harley & Co trap it, when it's time on earth is relatively limited?

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 22 2007, 06:34 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (MITJA3000+)
QUOTE (treehugger @ Aug 21 2007, 06:35 AM)

As for the stories being linked, I guess it isn't stated anywhere clearly. But given that Verniya is being described as a mean spirit, I think it is reasonable to assume that they are the same, with the location and all.

I don't remember how the shadow spirits are described, but I recall that they are not horrors. And if the spirit in question would be a horror, why would Harley & Co trap it, when it's time on earth is relatively limited?

Shadow spirits aren't horrors per se, but they're certainly no picnic.

I don't see how the spirits time on earth is limited though.

+Quote Post
MITJA3000+
post Aug 22 2007, 06:41 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draconis)

I meant that if it was a horror, there would be no point in trapping it, since it would have to go away when mana dropped.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 22 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (MITJA3000+)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Aug 22 2007, 01:34 PM)

I meant that if it was a horror, there would be no point in trapping it, since it would have to go away when mana dropped.

Ah indeed, or maybe not. Here's a scary thought for you. Say it's an earlier age with mana. Horror inhabits something, then it aspects a power site to it, domain, warp, whatever. Then maybe it uses some variation of manastatic to keep enough mana nearby to stick around during the upcoming downcycle.
I call it the goldfish bowl scenario. Then as the mana goes back up your tank gets bigger until you don't need it anymore and you can go bite heads off again.

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Aug 22 2007, 07:04 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

From memory, Shedims (i suppose they are the shadow spirits) have the evannecence power that makes tehm loose magic while they are materialised.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 22 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (treehugger @ Aug 22 2007, 07:04 PM)
From memory, Shedims (i suppose they are the shadow spirits) have the evannecence power that makes tehm loose magic while they are materialised.

Until they anchor themselves via possessing an undead vessel. Then it's all wine, roses, and braaaaaains. :)

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 22 2007, 09:52 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Do do do do do doo...

The references in Target: Smuggler Havens and Shadows of Asia are about all there is to Tunguska in SR. Given the comments from The Laughing Man and Orange Queen with other information, several theories emerge. The following is the most popular, though I can't tell you if it's what the authors intended exactly:
The free spirit Verniya was trapped at some point in the past and vaulted into orbit as additional security (compare the Elvish Imiri ti-Versakhan in Australia). Presumably the orbit was unstable or began to decay, as an attempt was made to correct it, failed, and resulted in the Tunguska Blast of 1912. Why the artifact wasn't found remains unknown-it may well have been destroyed in the blast, but that doesn't explain how Verniya survived the next ninety years. In any event, flash forward to the Awakening and Verniya, free to act now, forms the Awakened Yakut.

Keep in mind, this is just one speculation on the given material in these books.

+Quote Post
treehugger
post Aug 22 2007, 10:43 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Nice Ancient :)
The question imho isnt how she survived, but why did she needed a pact with the shamans and shapeshifters to rule Yakut since if she survived for a hundred years without mana she must be quite powerfull :)
I'm not an X-Files fan btw, i'm looking for traces of Barsaive in SR, so each time i see "archeological" or "ancient artifact" i'm trying to learn more about it.
I know nothing about Australia in SR, but regarding craters and elves, could their be a link between Crater Lake and Tunguska ?

+Quote Post
MITJA3000+
post Aug 23 2007, 08:24 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (treehugger)
The question imho isnt how she survived, but why did she needed a pact with the shamans and shapeshifters to rule Yakut since if she survived for a hundred years without mana she must be quite powerfull :)

Everybody needs help. Dunkie, Lofwyr, Ghostwalker, everybody needs help. And even if they don't NEED it, it sure doesn't hurt.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 23 2007, 01:53 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (treehugger)
I'm not an X-Files fan btw, i'm looking for traces of Barsaive in SR, so each time i see "archeological" or "ancient artifact" i'm trying to learn more about it.
I know nothing about Australia in SR, but regarding craters and elves, could their be a link between Crater Lake and Tunguska ?

Impossible to say for certain, but there doesn't appear to be any.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Aug 26 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Spaceship theorists point to the fact that pics of the scene look like an massive bomb airburst. Well before nuclear weapons or FAE they thing a space ship.
The real blast is actually thought to have been a comet that coming real low in the environment the ice, melted to steam and burst the rock apart. Airburst

+Quote Post
Cain
post Aug 27 2007, 04:11 AM
Post #20

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

There's a ton of theories in RL, ranging from anything from a comet that airburst, to a geological event, to a Nikolai Tesla publicity stunt gone wrong (my favorite :cyber: ). All that's agreed upon is that it was the most powerful high-energy event to occur in recorded history.

+Quote Post
Jame J
post Aug 28 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,401

QUOTE (treehugger)

Can anyone give me a reference for Shedim other than Shadows of Asia?

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Aug 28 2007, 01:19 AM
Post #22

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

Year of the Comet, Threats 2.

~J

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Aug 28 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #23

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

QUOTE (Cain @ Aug 26 2007, 11:11 PM)
There's a ton of theories in RL, ranging from anything from a comet that airburst, to a geological event, to a Nikolai Tesla publicity stunt gone wrong (my favorite :cyber: ).  All that's agreed upon is that it was the most powerful high-energy event to occur in recorded history.

It predated Tesla by decades and being hundreds of miles in the middle of freaking no where it took the Russian army a few years to get out there. It was just too far for someone to haul conventional explosives or even beyond SOTA explosives. I mean why blow up freaking Siberia? It's like blowing up New Jersey, it'll be years before anyone notices and years more before anyone bothers to have a look.

Seriously, ever seen the photos? It wasn't something from below the ground, people say airburst because it looks like a forest that had a big bomb airburst over it-around the blast point the trees were blow over so they point out from the center but at the heart of the blast they are upright, but the branchs are stripped.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Aug 28 2007, 04:02 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
It's like blowing up New Jersey, it'll be years before anyone notices and years more before anyone bothers to have a look.

Detroit?

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Aug 28 2007, 06:30 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

QUOTE (Snow_Fox)
Seriously, ever seen the photos? It wasn't something from below the ground, people say airburst because it looks like a forest that had a big bomb airburst over it-around the blast point the trees were blow over so they point out from the center but at the heart of the blast they are upright, but the branchs are stripped.

Just like an airburst nuke.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 09:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.