Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How effective is Lone Star, Random musings
Meriss
post Aug 29 2007, 01:54 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,025

Okay, I was watching TV and as is now the norm for me, I started thinking about SR.

Yes I'm obsessed, sue me.

How much of a badass is the Star in your games? In general? Do they have world wide connections?

Think about it, they've been around for 30 to 40 years of the Sixth world. the company has evolved and there must be a certain percentage of "old timers" in the biz. Not to mention adepts and mages.

So discuss.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Aug 29 2007, 02:00 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,615

Having a star contact can be a blessing; in Predator and Prey, for example, a star johnson offers stuff like fresh SINS and wiping the players' records as payment, in addition to money. Individually, they would'nt be much of a threat...but would you want a a huge cop corporation chasing you? You would also want to watch out for their SWAT/tactical teams.

+Quote Post
cryptoknight
post Aug 29 2007, 03:49 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,735

As soon as they get their Ruger Thunderbolts back... they will be scary again... Right now I think they're packing Predator IV's... so not as much... :)

+Quote Post
Gelare
post Aug 29 2007, 04:00 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,235

Average cops aren't too badass. I usually give them dice pools of 6-8 on the spot depending on what they're doing, but I think there's also two samples of cops in SR4, the Lone Star Cop enemy and the Beat Cop contact. Plus they're restricted by extraterritoriality. Plus the average cop is scared of your average shadowrunner, who is cybered-up and better equipped, generally speaking. I was reading about this in one of the 3E books today, although I forget which one.

However, if Lone Star knows they're dealing with runners, they'll send SWAT teams or tactical teams, but usually not both since the two divisions don't like each other. Furthermore, the feds can kick some significant behind if you commit any federal crime, so watch out for those. (Read up on your U.S. Constitution, most if it's still there in the UCAS.) And Lone Star does have plenty of dirty tricks up their sleeves, make no mistake, like trid cameras with a one minute buffer to catch people saying things when they think they're off the record, flying patrol drones with face recognition software, collecting all sorts of data and ritual components on anyone they book, magemasks, etc.

+Quote Post
CountZero
post Aug 29 2007, 04:10 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,353

I don't have 'em be too badass. Just because they're for profit, doesn't mean they're better equipped then conventional law enforcement. What I do do with Lone Star, is I make the bad apples a little more entrenched - since it's easier to play office politics to keep their jobs, and only seriously running into problems if they start really crossing the line, especially at an inopportune time such as a 10 year contract review (or something).

Also, I play into this with Lone Star Contacts, specifically, more upright Lone Star contacts might be willing to provide some information and the occasional favor to PC Runners provided they take "respectable" jobs (not rubbing out the Mob informant and his whole family), and perhaps for less money as well. Less respectable cops will care less about the PC Runners reps, and more about the color of their credsticks. It's a trade off.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Aug 29 2007, 04:35 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

I like this question, and I constantly ask it myself.

Recently I read the Lone Star sourcebook and the best answer I can give is, what do the characters need to keep them in check without ruining the game for them?

Lone Star should be as powerful as you need it to be and no more (unless your objective is to make your players constantly run through legal hoops)

I am used to playing where if the run went well, but not perfect, the Star are on the way and narrowly miss us while we have to shoot it out if we totally botch the run and don't get out in time. Characters can survive and escape Lone Star, it depends how much you want to challenge them.

+Quote Post
Gort
post Aug 29 2007, 06:30 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,415

I'd probably say the Star are good for keeping the general population in check - an average officer is probably about as tough as a ganger. (keep in mind these are gangers with access to body armour and automatic weapons, so that's not really a slur)

However, if they're going after shadowrunners, they'll have cybered-out company men like any other corp.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 29 2007, 06:55 AM
Post #8

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...bottom line, as effective as you want them to be as a GM. In my UCAS campaigns I have them being very dangerous.

+Quote Post
Eleazar
post Aug 29 2007, 12:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,130

Keep in mind Lonestar can be a very good way to keep mages in check. In the Lonestar sourcebook they have special mages on call that will come to a magic crime scene through the astral almost as soon as it is reported. If I remember correctly, there are 2-3 of these in Seattle. Remember, if magic is reported as being used, the Lonestar bring out the big boys.

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Aug 29 2007, 12:40 PM
Post #10

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (Meriss)
How much of a badass is the Star in your games?

The guy on the street is notoriously underpaid, hassled by burocracy and superiors and usually gives a shit.

QUOTE (Meriss)
In general?

Its a 'Rent a cop' company with branches in many countries... it does so for profit and it's only one of those companies. Of course it's fairly big and has to keep it's reputation, so going to war with them is a bad idea.

QUOTE (Meriss)
Do they have world wide connections?

That depends... internally, they should be able to work across borders - if there is no infighting. They cooperate with other security firms and bodies, but usually this involves even more rivalry. That does not mean they can put pressure on governments - it's the other way round: There are other companies waiting for the contract.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Aug 29 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

I've modified 'Star response for the SR4-verse. Aerial drones tend to be the "first responders" because they are a) cheap to keep idling, b) faster than ground vehicles that have to deal with traffic and c) more disposable. Even losing an aerial combat drone is less expensive than putting a Star agent in a hospital for a week or so.

This is actually good for runners in general because it means a rigger/hacker can spoof the drone so it sees nothing wrong. Additionally, it means that the number of patrol vehicles has decreased as armed drones do a good job of keeping minor drek contained until an officer can arrive.

The counter is that the SWAT-equivalent has the same general response time as before but will be backed up by an assortment of drones and hackers.

So break out quick chummers, because once the Citymaster shows up with three van loads of deputized leg breakers, the drek has totally hit the fan.

+Quote Post
WeaverMount
post Aug 30 2007, 06:04 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 12,309

2070 law enforcement and 2007 law enforcement and drastically different limiting factors on firepower. Modern cops in the USA don't carry BFGs for 2 reasons. First is community relations. Cops need to be able to approach strangers and knock on a citizen's door without scarring the crap out of them. Second they have to worry about secondary damage (over-penetration, ricochet, stray bullets) which necessarily raise with firepower. I envision the population of 2070 being extremely (but, not totally) desensitize to heavy weaponry and murderous corporations. This would allow the star to use some really big guns my modern standards. As for cost. Bigger guns really aren't that much more expensive. I promise you 2007 warlords can give their thugs an AK and a bandolier for less than an American cop's lethal and non-lethal "defense systems".

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Aug 30 2007, 07:43 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

Actually I base alot of my street Lonestar cops on todays police armament wise. They carry a heavy pistol and a hand weapon, and have a shotgun and rifle in the car.

I have them in heavier armor because it's relatively cheap in Shadowrun (Armored Jacket for the street, min. of Armored Vest). The hand weapon is of course upgraded (shock baton normally), and they normally have a clip or two of special pistol ammo for emergencies (stick & shock and apds generally). They also have a puffer of combat drugs stored with the first aid kit.

The cop who is walking around isn't a big deal, but if he gets back to his car he'll become alot more dangerious. They can't always be hyper prepared (for the reasons weavermount mentioned), but I do have them set up to hold off street thugs and the like until support can arrive. (As kigmat mentioned, since alot of the work is done by drones, I want real live Lonestar cops to not just be completely disposable cannon fodder).

One question that has arisen several times in the game I'm playing in is this: how does one identify a "magical" crime? Two of the players are awakened, and they both have the quality that causes your signature to fade in half the time. Now, of course if you go around summoning spirits and throwing flashy fire/lightning, the question is a dugh. But if you use manabolts or adept powers, there isn't really a clearcut way to know magic was used, is there?

Also, and this might be a false assumption, but a signature lasts for as many hours as force, right? Well, if someone is using a combat spell (instead of a pistol) it's probably going to be force 3 at least? Which means the star is going to assume they have a little time to get over and identify the scene. If your careful about the power you cast your spells at, and you take the quality that halves your sig. time, won't the odds of you being ID by the cops by aura pretty much near nil?

*smiles* Hope those last two paragraphs were coherent, I've been losing words all day.

- Angel

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Aug 30 2007, 01:11 PM
Post #14

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

QUOTE (AngelisStorm)
One question that has arisen several times in the game I'm playing in is this: how does one identify a "magical" crime? Two of the players are awakened, and they both have the quality that causes your signature to fade in half the time. Now, of course if you go around summoning spirits and throwing flashy fire/lightning, the question is a dugh. But if you use manabolts or adept powers, there isn't really a clearcut way to know magic was used, is there?

Spells with obvious visible effects are detectable through normal means by most witnesses. Though do remember the distinction between a living witness and a technological recording device. The device might still notice the effects of a spell. (HEy why did the sec guard fall over suddenly...)

For spells without obvious detectable effects you can use

p. 168
Noticing Magic
"Noticing if someone is using a magical skill requires a
Perception Test (p. 117) with a threshold equal to 6 minus the
magic’s Force—more powerful magic is easier to spot. Th e gamemaster
should apply additional modifi ers as appropriate, or if
the perceiver is Awakened themselves (+2 dice), astrally perceiving
(+2 dice), or if a shamanic mask is evident (+2 dice)."

This causes the "I don't what he did, but he did -something-" effect, that's more noticeable the more powerful the spell.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Aug 30 2007, 02:25 PM
Post #15

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

In regards to making the PCs lives miserable? Not so great. They generally don't have the time to track down and anticipate the moves of all but the most destructive runners. Most street cops aren't a serious threat. The primary problem they pose is that Lone Star drones get on the scene pretty fast, and while they're easy to take down, they can make your life pretty miserable, spraying with their stupid LMGs or just taking pictures and tracking you around the city. Of course, if you're dumb enough to hole up, they'll take you out, but in a well planned run they shouldn't play a major role.

In regards to making the PCs lives great? They're awesome. With the right Lone Star contacts (and not just any will do), they can tidy up criminal SINs, provide new IDs, ship weapons, offer jobs, help commit or solve kidnappings, get you in on drug and smuggling rings and help out your protection racket. They can put pressure on your enemies and slander those you can't shoot at. They've been put in a position where they basically have free reign to engage in any sort of crime that can't be easily connected to them and doesn't increase the perceived crime rate.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Aug 30 2007, 02:35 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

I've instilled a sense of fear in my group without ever having to have a citymaster full of angry cops kill any of them. That's what the 'Star is for in my game. Fear. Rarely are they an actual presence. Something's very wrong if the group actually sees any cops.

Honestly, I'm not too sure how tough I'd make them if the group got into a real fight with Lone Star. Probably not very, but if they killed a bunch of cops, Lone Star would totally be hunting them down. And they'd bring the big guns for that.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Aug 30 2007, 03:36 PM
Post #17

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

LoneStar is not dangerous because the street cops are elite troops. They are dangerous because they are the ones who check your SIN and concealed-carry license. You can always count on beating the street cops in our games, but at that point the SIN you´ve been using becomes worthless.

Armed response teams are dangerous in combat but rarely used. Gone are the days of our group waiting for the FRT in order to gain more loot (twinked SR2 street sams, the memories)

In our game we sometimes have situations where one security provider has no problem at all with fleeing runners if the target is a customer to "wrong provider X". Rent-a-Cops prefer not to fight and secure their contract at the same time...

+Quote Post
war_m0nger
post Aug 30 2007, 05:56 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 12,966

A single Lone Star detective can make an excellent recurring adversary though. Someone who's not really a bad guy, but is constantly dogging the runners' heels. It's fun to have a little cat and mouse with those guys.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 30 2007, 06:08 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (cryptoknight @ Aug 29 2007, 03:49 AM)
As soon as they get their Ruger Thunderbolts back... they will be scary again... Right now I think they're packing Predator IV's... so not as much... :)

I miss my pair of custom Thunderbolts. :(

In our current game and come to think of it SR3, Lone star was and is zero threat. In SR4 fake IDs are extremely cheap and lets face it we seldom hit urbanized areas all that often lately. In SR3 our op tempo was ridiculous, on tues we where in Borneo on Weds Hawaii, by the weekend we where in Europe, try and track that. No we didn't use public transport.

I suppose if we ran in one area or city constantly the Star would be more of a threat, but I doubt it. Stay mobile, Stay alive.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Aug 30 2007, 06:43 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

In SR4 it's an easy matrix trace to see everywhere you've been back and forth across the world and up and down the well. Or rather to see where your SIN has been. You're required by law to transmit your SIN at all times in nice neighborhoods and all checkpoints (like airports, borders, ports, etc). Only fake SINs protect you and they are very expensive. Even with fake SINs you have to be careful if you're switching between SINs. Checkpoint guard: "Hmm, this SIN was last seen in Borneo, how did you get here in Frankfurt without going through checkpoints? You'll have to come with me."

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Aug 30 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #21

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

To keep cyberpunk flavour, IMO the Star should be really sucky at investigating, but very good at brutality. They have a lot of trouble with actual detective work, so when they catch someone they make an example of him. So they use fear and brutality rather than efficiency. So they'll beat the shit out of a 12 year old orc jaywalking to make an example, and they may even beat the shit out of suspected shadowrunners that think they are smarter than them. They'll often know what gang did what crime, but they can't pin the individuals in court, so they'll catch some gang members (doesnt matter which) and beat them to a suitable degree as punishment. Due process, evidence, rights... they get in the way.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 31 2007, 12:05 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Buster @ Aug 30 2007, 06:43 PM)
In SR4 it's an easy matrix trace to see everywhere you've been back and forth across the world and up and down the well.  Or rather to see where your SIN has been.  You're required by law to transmit your SIN at all times in nice neighborhoods and all checkpoints (like airports, borders, ports, etc).  Only fake SINs protect you and they are very expensive.  Even with fake SINs you have to be careful if you're switching between SINs.  Checkpoint guard:  "Hmm, this SIN was last seen in Borneo, how did you get here in Frankfurt without going through checkpoints?  You'll have to come with me."

Actually the various databases seldom talk to each other.
I could get arrested, ya right, in the NAN and they'd never know I'm wanted in London on a string of felonies.

Hmmm rating 6 ID is 6,000 nuyen. That's expensive? I couldn't even see why you'd buy less than rating 6. We change SINs like we change underwear, once a week. Ha! Just kidding, my character doesn't wear underwear.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Aug 31 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

I think a large part of the threat from the Star depends on the power level of your game. Look at the contrast here

QUOTE (Draconis)
In SR4 fake IDs are extremely cheap

and

QUOTE (Buster)
Only fake SINs protect you and they are very expensive.

So.... grungy power game, Lone Star is hardcore, high power private jet using skipping airports and checkpoints games.... not so much.

Chris

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 31 2007, 12:44 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (DTFarstar)
I think a large part of the threat from the Star depends on the power level of your game. Look at the contrast here

QUOTE (Draconis)
In SR4 fake IDs are extremely cheap

and

QUOTE (Buster)
Only fake SINs protect you and they are very expensive.

So.... grungy power game, Lone Star is hardcore, high power private jet using skipping airports and checkpoints games.... not so much.

Chris

You should write cliff notes. You're quite good. :)

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Aug 31 2007, 01:08 AM
Post #25

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Take a clue from the Genesis/Megadrive Shadowrun game.

They're better armed and armored than gangers, but aren't a threat to Wired 3 Samurai in small groups. They are, however, a threat in groups of 4 or more. Against characters with no initiative enhancement and low skill, even a single officer can be deadly.

In order to understand Lone Star one must understand the concept on on-the-spot fines. If a person is caught commiting a felony, Lone Star officers will generally allow that person to walk away if he can immediately pay a "fine" because it is easier to do so than it is to go through the paperwork of making an arrest.

Fighting an officer is a risky proposition unless you are both ruthless and insane, due to their tendency to call fro backup combined with their superior equipment. Bribing one is easy and cheap. Most will overlook minor offenses such as grenade possession and the murder of unimportant people for 500 nuyen.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:37 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.