Reply to this topicStart new topic
> shadowrun minis!, ...or breathing air from 1991 and 1996
fourstring_samur...
post Aug 29 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,912

a few weeks ago i stopped by my parents place to say hi, and my mom mentioned i still had some stuff in the attic. having time to kill i decided to see what i'd left behind years ago. amongst many things i found a shoebox labled "unpainted minis" where inside i found...

unopened
ral partha packs of shadowrun minis.

so, last night in our game i broke out the following, opening these in front of the players:

a pack of three deckers
a pack of toxic spirits
the halloweeners gang
the angels of death pack (chicks w/ big guns)

while they do look a bit dated, it was a thing of immense beauty.

anyone else out there have a tale like this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 29 2007, 02:41 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Earthdawn minis, bargain bin, Laubenstein sculpts and a Feathered Serpent. Still keeping an eye out for the museum-scale troll.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 29 2007, 02:44 PM
Post #3

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

..yeah I have the "Angels" pack too as well as one set with go gangers on motorcycles, and another with a character both riding a Blitzen and standing (which was my Salish sharpshooter Jill).

+Quote Post
Dread Polack
post Aug 29 2007, 02:51 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,822

Hey, Ancient, I have a pile of ED minis. How big is the museum-scale troll? None of my trolls are huge, but one is a bit bigger, and obviously by a different sculpter.

Dread Polack

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 29 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Museum scale is about 10 inches tall.

+Quote Post
the_dunner
post Aug 29 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,522

Almost all of the Ral Partha minis are still readily available from Iron Wind Metals.

Most of the ones that they don't list on their web site, you can still get by calling them. (Most likely including the Museum scale troll.)

The odd few that they don't have are either resin (The feathered Serpent & The DocWagon ambulance) or had weird licensing. (The FASA boxed set.)

If you have a Troll Combat Mage, that's about 2-2.5" tall, then it's from the FASA Shadowrun boxed set. They re-scaled the minis to GW's 30mm scale, and then did a Troll that's pretty badly out of scale even with those figures. (He'd work out to be something like 15 feet tall in scale.)

+Quote Post
Gort
post Aug 30 2007, 10:16 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,415

I'd like to have some Shadowrun miniatures, but I don't want the hassle of painting them. Does anyone know a place where I could get some miniatures that would fit (punk gangers, future-cops, men in black types, spec-ops military guys, drones and anyone that looks like a shadowrunner) pre-painted?

I got linked to some about six months ago, but I wasn't in an active campaign and forgot the link. :)

+Quote Post
Caine Hazen
post Aug 30 2007, 01:00 PM
Post #8

MechRigger Delux

Member No.: 1,657

Jim Johnson stopped by the store I worked at and dropped a bunch of his minis on me... got the feathered serpent that way.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 30 2007, 03:11 PM
Post #9

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (Dread Polack)
Hey, Ancient, I have a pile of ED minis. How big is the museum-scale troll? None of my trolls are huge, but one is a bit bigger, and obviously by a different sculpter.

Dread Polack

--------------------
"You will all go to your respective Valhallas... go directly, do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollas"

Tom Lehrer, "We Will All Go Together When We Go"

...just a note to say I like your signature. Been a big fan of Tom Lerher for some time & even have both of his 10" LPs (the ones you had to order directly from him). I still find many of his songs timely today and some, like the one where he scoffed at the notion of Ronald Reagan in the white house (mind you this was the late 50s - early 60s), to be prophetic.

...first you get down on your knees, fiddle with your rosary...

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Aug 30 2007, 04:07 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...first you get down on your knees, fiddle with your rosary...

"bow your head with great respect and genuflect, genuflect, genuflect!"

:D

+Quote Post
tyweise
post Aug 30 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #11

Target

Member No.: 5,848

QUOTE (Gort)
I'd like to have some Shadowrun miniatures, but I don't want the hassle of painting them. Does anyone know a place where I could get some miniatures that would fit (punk gangers, future-cops, men in black types, spec-ops military guys, drones and anyone that looks like a shadowrunner) pre-painted?

I got linked to some about six months ago, but I wasn't in an active campaign and forgot the link. :)

Bored at work, and also interested in miniatures, I did some searching on the Internet. I found a miniatures game called Battlefield Evolution put out by Mongoose publishing.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/ser...php?qsSeries=47

Pre-painted miniatures, but mostly all military looking. And nothing troll or dwarf sized either, but there are some tanks and jeeps that look cool.

Some pre-painted minis here: http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Pre-...Miniatures.html from a site in the UK. The Sci-Fi, Old West Heroes, and Dunwich Detective lines have some good looking stuff. Also the Oriental Blades if you need your katana fix.

+Quote Post
augurer
post Aug 30 2007, 04:42 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 12,304

I'm hoping Catalyst comes out with some pre-painted miniatures in boosters, like the D&D minis stuff.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 30 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (Gort)

Hmm well I was going to start a separate thread about this but this will do fine. Our group uses minis quite extensively. I'll link some pics later. Seeing as I'm a mini and wargaming freak I'll share my experience.

For prepainted minis you're looking at Rackham's AT-43 wargame line. They're quite nice but they're imported so tend to be a little expensive. My metal gear thingie mini cost me $30 alone. Individuals run from $10-$15 which is expensive for plastic. Also the online discounts generally are only about 10% off cost. This is so low I generally just go to the local store and skip the huge shipping costs.

AT-43

Also prepainted for paranormal animals and such I would recommend the D&D line. Now don't go buying random boosters off the shelf or you'll end up with a bunch of stuff you'll never use. Find a gallery list online and pick up commons and uncommons on Ebay. Try and buy from a single vendor to save on shipping, this should be rather easy. Rares aren't worth it unless you really need that mini's look. They're overpriced because they're for a mini wargame obviously and have utility in that game. Me, I could care less about their powerz.

For Unpainted metal goodness you're looking at the Infinity line. It's also imported from Europe so they're very expensive as well. Still they're anime themed which is cool and the drones are excellent. I've gotten all their drones and a couple individuals for PCs and major NPCs. Once again $10+ for a single dude and you're generally looking at no online discount whatsoever.

Infinity

Also in the unpainted cyberpunk realm you have Rezolution. They're generally cheaper at about $5.50 a dude but you get what you pay for. Their early minis look like a monkey's butt. Sculpt quality is slowly improving though. I recommend their mercenary bot pack for some nice drones also they have a couple of terminator ripoff killbot drones called stompers which are kinda cool. I need to pick those up myself. Also they have Deckard and Rachel ripoffs from Bladerunner that are worth picking up.

Rezolution

Then there's the Urban War / Metropolis wargame. These guys are a steal. Check out Viridian for shadowrunners and corpsec, look at Syntha for yet more drones. Excellent prices and fantastic sculpts. They retail at $8 for a single dude but if you're paying more than $6.39 you're not trying hard enough.

Urban War/Metropolis

That's pretty much it. I mean there's the Dark Age mini wargame line but those guys are generally too odd to be much use beyond toxics or weird spirits. The elementals are kinda cool but it's all expensive.

I have all the old shadowrun minis myself. I bought em when they where out and was lucky enough to pick up a boatload of them from a store going out of business last year. They're cool but they definitely seem dated compared to modern minis.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 30 2007, 04:59 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (augurer @ Aug 30 2007, 04:42 PM)
I'm hoping Catalyst comes out with some pre-painted miniatures in boosters, like the D&D minis stuff.

Ugh, that's all the world needs is another pre-painted mini wargame line. The market isn't oversaturated like CCG games at all oh no there's room for 20 or 30 more games at least. Bleh.

I wish people would stop being lazy and paint and mod their own metal minis. Catalyst metal minis would be cool but unless subcontracted to an existing line the costs would be prohibitive I'm betting.

Next we'll be back to those cardboard foldover people in those tab bases.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 30 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (tyweise)

I got linked to some about six months ago, but I wasn't in an active campaign and forgot the link. :) [/QUOTE]
Bored at work, and also interested in miniatures, I did some searching on the Internet. I found a miniatures game called Battlefield Evolution put out by Mongoose publishing.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/ser...php?qsSeries=47

Pre-painted miniatures, but mostly all military looking. And nothing troll or dwarf sized either, but there are some tanks and jeeps that look cool.

Some pre-painted minis here: http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Pre-...Miniatures.html from a site in the UK. The Sci-Fi, Old West Heroes, and Dunwich Detective lines have some good looking stuff. Also the Oriental Blades if you need your katana fix.

The chinese jeep and the infantry vehicle are cool. Tell me that doesn't look like a Citymaster. Still besides that it's a little too military for my taste, unless of course you're running a Merc game or such.

+Quote Post
tyweise
post Aug 30 2007, 08:46 PM
Post #16

Target

Well, if we're going to throw unpainted/unassembled into the mix, there's really a lot you can do with the Necromunda line from Games Workshop.

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefr...&GameNav=300808

The starter boxes are 8 minis for $40, and the ganger/juve blisters are 3 models for $12. Most (if not all) have a good deal of weapon configurability too.

Orlock is a great look for gangers and street 'runners. Delaque has the classic longcoat look. Van Saar gives a more techie look, good for corpsec guards. Of course the Enforcers work too, specially for LoneStar (and they have robot dogs, aka steel lynx drones.) Escher is all female, with a ganger look. Goliath works for big dudes, and probably would be good for ork models.

For troll models, you could go with 40k Ogryns (but dang, they got expensive!) Also, GW bits are usually fairly convertable, so you could put some guns on WHFB dwarf and elf models to cover those races too.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Aug 30 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (tyweise)
Well, if we're going to throw unpainted/unassembled into the mix, there's really a lot you can do with the Necromunda line from Games Workshop.

http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefr...&GameNav=300808

The starter boxes are 8 minis for $40, and the ganger/juve blisters are 3 models for $12. Most (if not all) have a good deal of weapon configurability too.

Orlock is a great look for gangers and street 'runners. Delaque has the classic longcoat look. Van Saar gives a more techie look, good for corpsec guards. Of course the Enforcers work too, specially for LoneStar (and they have robot dogs, aka steel lynx drones.) Escher is all female, with a ganger look. Goliath works for big dudes, and probably would be good for ork models.

For troll models, you could go with 40k Ogryns (but dang, they got expensive!) Also, GW bits are usually fairly convertable, so you could put some guns on WHFB dwarf and elf models to cover those races too.

GW? Sorry don't need a second mortgage. ;)

+Quote Post
tyweise
post Aug 31 2007, 02:43 AM
Post #18

Target

$40 for 8 minis = $5 per figure
$12 for 3 minis = $4 per figure

Every single price per figure you've given in your list is more than that. Including the Urban War guys, who at $8 or $6.39 apiece are "a steal."

Makes me wonder what you spent you first mortgage on. ;)

+Quote Post
Johnny Zen
post Sep 19 2007, 10:49 AM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 13,241

Resurrecting this thread.

In case you guys don't know, there's a great review site of the old Shadowrun minis by gurth.

Stiggybabies has a lot of those minis for sale, if you're in Germany check out the dragonworld shop which is even cheaper. (they do send to anywhere if you pay the postage)

+Quote Post
augurer
post Sep 19 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 12,304

QUOTE (Draconis)

Ugh, that's all the world needs is another pre-painted mini wargame line. The market isn't oversaturated like CCG games at all oh no there's room for 20 or 30 more games at least. Bleh.

I wish people would stop being lazy and paint and mod their own metal minis. Catalyst metal minis would be cool but unless subcontracted to an existing line the costs would be prohibitive I'm betting.

Not everyone wants to spend their free time painting and modding miniatures. I'd rather be reading the source material, creating NPCs, or planning missions... or doing something else entirely.

I really hope Catalyst pursues the pre-painted minis market for Shadowrun and cyberpunk in general.

+Quote Post
Adam
post Sep 19 2007, 02:42 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Member No.: 51

Pre-painted minis don't *have* to be collectible: http://www.reapermini.com/LegendaryEncount...paintedPlastics

+Quote Post
Bull
post Sep 19 2007, 03:13 PM
Post #22

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

To be fair, anything can be collectible :)

But in this context, Collectible = Blind, Randomized Purchases. Of which I'm really sick of.

My current mini's game of choice is Heroscape. Prepainted, some terrific customizable terrain, and I always know exactly what I'm getting.

Plus, the mini's are cheap. Most packs have 4-6 figures for $10, and the larger models tend to come about 5 to a box, for $15-20.

Bull

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 19 2007, 05:48 PM
Post #23

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (augurer)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Aug 30 2007, 11:59 AM)

Not everyone wants to spend their free time painting and modding miniatures. I'd rather be reading the source material, creating NPCs, or planning missions... or doing something else entirely.

I really hope Catalyst pursues the pre-painted minis market for Shadowrun and cyberpunk in general.

...to add to this, there are those of us who, for other reasons than being "slackers" (such as myself who suffers from severe arthritis) are unable to to paint such small detailed items.

QUOTE (Draconis)

...and don't poo-poo Jackson's Cardboard Heroes. They are inexpensive, take up little storage space and come in very handy for NPCs, grunts, police, and bystanders. Not everyone has the budget to afford hordes of diecast figures. I find them much better than using dice (which are often needed for rolling tests) or pennies for at least they are a bit more 'representative" of people and have facings.

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Sep 19 2007, 08:14 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)
...and don't poo-poo Jackson's Cardboard Heroes.  They are inexpensive, take up little storage space and come in very handy for NPCs, grunts, police, and bystanders.  Not everyone has the budget to afford hordes of diecast figures.  I find them much better than using dice (which are often needed for rolling tests) or pennies for at least they are a bit more 'representative" of people and have facings.

No need to buy cardboard figures, they can be found in your old SR1 GM Screen, DMZ and all ower the web for free, for example here http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/fonts.htm.

Lars

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 20 2007, 01:15 AM
Post #25

Bushido Cowgirl

...cool!. Love the Macho Women with Guns page.

I'll have to download tonight when I get home.

[update]

...Downloaded the freebie package to try them out. When I went to another page on the site it locked my system up. Could also have been the lousy connection I had since the site is pretty heavy on the graphics.

...did find a nice one in the set for the "Short One"

James, that's 1 :grinbig:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.