Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gun-Bunny Critique Part 2
klinktastic
post Aug 29 2007, 08:49 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,442

Ok, here is a revised version, that incorporated most of your suggestions.

Ork
Mundane

B: 7
A: 5 (7)
R: 5 (7)
S: 3
C: 2
I: 4
L: 2
W: 4

Edge: 4
Inititive: 11
Essense: .785

Qualities: Biocompatibility (cyberware) (+10)
Addition, mild cram (-5)
allergy unc/mod (-10)
allergy unc/mild (-5)
incompetent (blades) (-5)

Cyberware:
Cybereyes rating 3
-flare compensation
-lowlight vision
-protective covers
-smartlink
-thermographic vision
-vision enhancement (rating 3)
Wired Reflexes 2
Skillwires 3
Cyberears 2
-audio enhancer 3
-dampener
-select sound filter 4

Bioware:
Muscle toner 2
sleep regulator

Skills:
Athletics: 3
Firearms: 4
Heavy weapons (grenade launchers): 2
Preception: 4
Inflitration: 3
Etiquette: 2

My activesofts were going to be:
1. disguise
2. first aid
3. pilot ground craft
4. tracking
5. shadowing
6. demolitions
7. intimidation
8. unarmed
9. Con
10. something else*

As of now, I have about 10 bp left to do whatever with, and I can take another 10 of negative qualities. I don't know any that tend to fit with my character, at least that I have seen.

I have a few questions:

1) Is biocompatibility a good quality, I like it because it knocks off 10% of the essence cost of my 'ware. But could those points be better spent elsewhere?

2)Will initiative 11 with 2 IPs be good enough to lay suppression fire down before most or all of the enemies go? If I get to act again in the round, can I lob a grenade into their hiding spot?

3) Is the underslug grenade launcher on the Ares Alpha a one shot launcher?

4) What is strength important for besides the skills that use it?

5) Assuming resources are maxed out, what should I do with my left over 10 (possibly 20) points?

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dizzman
post Aug 29 2007, 08:55 PM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 11,306

1) Is biocompatibility a good quality, I like it because it knocks off 10% of the essence cost of my 'ware. But could those points be better spent elsewhere?

I also like Toughness for 10 points and Ambidextrous for 5. Ambidextrous isn't broken in this version, but it is still very useful, especially for a gun bunny.

2)Will initiative 11 with 2 IPs be good enough to lay suppression fire down before most or all of the enemies go? If I get to act again in the round, can I lob a grenade into their hiding spot?

It's about as good as you can get with a starting Ork without making speed your primary objective. It will be good enough to go first against most Sec goons and Lone Star.

3) Is the underslug grenade launcher on the Ares Alpha a one shot launcher?

AFAIK - its a one shot.

4) What is strength important for besides the skills that use it?

That and unarmed/weapon damage. One of the most useless attributes.

5) Assuming resources are maxed out, what should I do with my left over 10 (possibly 20) points?

Get some contacts. Good ideas:
- a loyal cyberdoc or healing shaman
- a high connection fixer
- a high connection arms dealer

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Aug 29 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

I like that you start with Edge 4. That will come in handy.

1) Biocompatability. I wouldn't call it absolutely essential. Once you get some cred, the natural progression is to move from wired reflexes to synaptic boosters. That will free up huge amounts of essence hole for you to fill.

2) 11 Rct & +2IPs has been plenty for my char. I almost always go first.

3) All the pictures I have seen of an Ares Alpha make it look like it is a single shot. However, the Ammo stat is 6©, so maybe the magazine just wasn't inserted in the pic.

4) I like to leave as many stats as I can 2 or 3 before race mods. A 3 Str for an Orc is like a 1 Str for a human. You are awfully weak for an orc.
This is just a personal preference though.

5) ditto on contacts. This is slightly metagamish, but lean towards the contact's connection rating over their loyalty rating. Loyalty will go up over time if you treat them right. Connection usually doesn't change unless the GM says so. (and unless it comes up in his plot, he probably won't bother)

+Quote Post
jklst14
post Aug 29 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #4

CosaNostra Deliverator

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,034

With Wired 2, you actually have 3 IPs, which is plenty.

Since you have Skillwires and a decent Edge stat, consider the Skillwire Expert System on page 42, Augmentation.

If you have 10 extra points after buying contacts, you could always raise your Edge to 5. You can never have your Edge too high.

+Quote Post
azrael_ven
post Aug 30 2007, 12:27 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 10,417

Yes... Edge... make your GM squirm. :evil: muwhahaha

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Aug 30 2007, 03:12 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Wouldn't just spending 10 bp on a point of body be better than toughness?

I think I am going to drop the biocompatibility and up my edge to 5 and spend 10 bp on contacts.

Thanks for the help guys. Other imput would be nice, but I think we beat this guy down to a good start from chargen.

+Quote Post
Dizzman
post Aug 30 2007, 03:41 AM
Post #7

Target

You're at your soft cap for Body. The next point costs 25. Raising body to 0 later with karma cost 27. Toughness costs only 10. It's actually a pretty good deal.

+Quote Post
Dizzman
post Aug 30 2007, 03:42 AM
Post #8

Target

Oh wait, yeah, you only have a body of 7. You could raise it to 8 if you haven't already spent 200 BP on attributes. It would probably be better to buy the body then.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Aug 30 2007, 04:01 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

According to it's stat block, the grenade launcher is fed by a detachable box magazine that holds six grenades. Or, if you were asking about its rate of fire, then yes its only mode is SS. So you could aim and fire, of fire the grenade launcher, then the rifle. But you can't fire two grenades out of it a turn like you can with the MGL-12.

[edit]
You don't seem to be calculating your essence right:

You have:

CODE

Old E Cost    With Quality E Cost
Wired 2        3          2.7
Eyes 3         0.4        0.36
Ears 2         0.3        0.27
Skillwires 3   0.6        0.54
Total cyber    4.3        3.87

and Bio

CODE

Muscle Toner 2            0.4
Sleep Regulator           0.15
Total Bio                 0.55

So your total essence cost should be 3.87 + .55/2 = 4.145 leaving you with 1.855 essence. Remember that anything you pay capacity for (such as stuff crammed into your eyes and ears) does not cost essence. The essence cost listed if if you want to get them put into your meaty eyes.

I'm not a big fan of the firearms group, as the longarms skill is not that good for much. The assault rifle will reach out to 550 meters. If you need to reach out further than that, you can use heavy weapons which you already have the skill for. Its not really a question of availability either, since the AK rifles have an availability of 4R, the only thing in this world more common than AK series rifles is human stupidity.

Unless you really need them, specializations are best bought with karma. 2BP is worth much more than 2 karma. Unless you intend to fire your grenade launcher a lot during your first game, put the specialization off until after the first karma award.

[/edit]

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Aug 30 2007, 04:26 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Thats ok, 1 'nade per turn is fine. I'm gonna suppress with my rifle then lob a grenade at my pinned opponents.

Can I store different types of nades in there, or do they have to be the same? Can I pick and choose which nade i want to shoot?

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Aug 30 2007, 05:23 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,093

Put an Airburst link in that Ares Grenade Launcher--it doesn't take up a weapon mod slot. You can probably put in different grenades if you wanted to, but they'd be fed one at a time so you'll have to fire them in order.

You also have 13 dice with Firearms and a Smartlink, and three IPs, so why are you Supressing? I mean, it's a good tactic to get into but 13 dice isn't awful, and suppression only works if they move in or out of the area, not if they stay put.

You don't have the implanted gyromounts so get the gyro harness, that'll cancel out almost all the recoil you'll do on a full burst.

1) Biocomp seems nice. But 'ware is usually better done after chargen. BP is very valuable and you can get better skills, contacts, and attributes that'll lead to quicker nuyen. So you have to take the longview, I think, for Biocompatibility. You can cram a lot more in once the game is in play and you can get items with higher Availability scores.

Gotta make the most of it, it is 30 points. EDIT: My bad, I confused it with the Nano one.

2) With 3 out of 4 IPs possible, and Initiative 11 you'll probably kill corpsec guards before they start harming. It's better to shoot them first though rather than wait for suppressive fire; that's usually left to the weak-wristed Mages and Technomancers.

4) Athletics tests are made on Strength too. That's not useless. Strength needs some love though, and I have a fun time picturing a toughass Ork with a Body of 7 or 8 but with the Strength of a normal human. A really lean and tough guy rather than the stereotypical big-muscled-barbarian.

5) Contacts. 2/3 Fixer, 1/4 Black Market is enough to get your hands on a lot of things. Having Hacker friends would also be neat, erasing your trail and whatnot.

Or more skills.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Aug 30 2007, 05:24 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

You can load the grenades into the magazine in whatever order you wanted, but but you can't select which grenade to fire, its always the one on top. I'd also assume that there is a provision to load grenades into the breach individually, even with the magazine in place. So it would be something like a simple action to ready the grenade you wanted, and another simple action to load it into the GL.

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Aug 30 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #13

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Take the stealth group instead of just infiltration. You need disguise for camouflage, and the other skills can be nice to have, too. I´d even prefer to sink points in stealth rather than athletics, but that might be wrong for this char.

Biocompatibility is pretty good if you want to go down to zero essence - assuming an equal amount of cyber and bioware (3.99+3.99 full points) and alphaware all around, you gain about 0.7 points of the chosen type of ware you can implant more. Not too shaby for 10 points.

Athletics: 3
Firearms: 4
Heavy weapons (grenade launchers): 2
Preception: 4
Inflitration: 3
Etiquette: 2

Can move and sneak, can shoot, can see, belongs to a social group. Pretty weak for someone with that much gear that any corp would give to a professional. Etiquette 2 gains you nothing due to CHA 2, anyone can boss you arround with leadership (see social resistance rolls), and you take the payment someone else on the team hopefully negotiated for everyone. The institution that taught you to handle grenade launchers did not teach you to handle grenades. IMO your activesoft list contains many things that any fighter type would have learned before he got skillwires implanted. Otherwise the weapons skills would be chipped, too.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.