IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Technomancers [Outside the Box], If a Technomancer talks to electronics..
bardnoir
post Aug 30 2007, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,220

First off - how do you guy handle a technomancer that keeps using certain equipment like a specific commlink or drones - do you make them roll each time for a new "access" and "command" roll or do you let the Technomancer have essential establish a line of communication with the device in question.

I was also thinking that if a Technomancer can talk to electronic devices, including the Street Samurai's cyberarm. And is basically walking around with a comlink in his head, where do you draw the line with what they can do? And how much can they focus on at the same time?
What do people think of the following NON matrix related activities.
Could it stand to reason that...
They can pick locks by taking control of the maglock and just telling it to open.
They would need a commlink to store ARE programs but they can interact with them without the need for a datajack.
They can watch simsense and play games on someone ELSEs commlink just by hacking into it.
They can jump into a comlink and get a list of phone numbers without leaving a trace that it was hacked (only another Technomancer would see the traces).
They could hack someone's commlink, tell it to display an ordered image on screen and make their own image on screen thus "Max Headroom"ing the person on the other side.
Send a command to a printer to just start printing whatever he's thinking (or visualizing).
They can command drone without the use of a rig (just send the order to the drone and let it go to work).
Hack a holoprojector to make a 3d image of himself (thus being able to interact with others and not having to actually BE on location).

So couldn't they also use smartgun? They just hack into the gun and call up the AR signal and use it in a similar fashion to everything else they do?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Aug 30 2007, 03:29 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

They have a built-in commlink/sim-module. Not a built in smartlink. Buy a pair of contacts.

+Quote Post
augurer
post Aug 30 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 12,304

QUOTE (Tarantula)
They have a built-in commlink/sim-module. Not a built in smartlink. Buy a pair of contacts.

Shouldn't they be able to thread up a complex form to simulate the smartlink? All a smartlink really is is some software that writes to your AR display.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Aug 30 2007, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

It wouldn't be a completely unreasonable house-rule, but one could also argue that the techno can't give the smartgun the eye-position data that the smartlink gives it and rule against the possibility just as easily.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Aug 30 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #5

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

I treat TMs very similarly to hackers in regards to the tests that you were talking about. Everything you listed from picking locks to the holoprojector could be done by a hacker.

The printer is one of the few exceptions. Text and such is easy, but there would be a Resonance + Edit test to properly visualize the image. In this, the TM is faster than the hacker, because his brain is in direct communication while the hacker effectively has to photoshop the world.

That said, a lot of these are applications of effectively what I label "stupid human tricks" or in this case, "stupid TM tricks." That's not to say that they are stupid, but that there is little practical purpose to them.

Once a TM has subscribed a drone or device, I don't make him make access attempts, just as I wouldn't make anyone else. The Command CF is to force devices to do something within their programming but outside of current settings. It is very different from issuing orders to your drones where they interpret the information and the Pilot enacts a course of actions.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 30 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

actually, the spoof program is for making stuff do things they wouldn't normally do (by making it think the order comes from an authorized source). either the drone acknowledges the command as legit and follows through on it, or it doesn't acknowledge the command as legit and ignores (and quite possibly reports) it, and that falls very firmly under the purview of spoof. (you honestly think there's a widely avalaible legal program requiring no special license that's specifically designed to steal rightful control of devices?)

the command program is for remote controlling stuff (not rigging, and not giving orders).

+Quote Post
bardnoir
post Aug 30 2007, 07:03 PM
Post #7

Target

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
It wouldn't be a completely unreasonable house-rule, but one could also argue that the techno can't give the smartgun the eye-position data that the smartlink gives it and rule against the possibility just as easily.

Not that i'm trying to argue I'm just trying to figure out what the argument really is (as a GM I may have to play one side or the other in this) so what do you mean the Techno can't give the smartgun "eye-position data". The way I see it the Technomancer "thinks" in code. The idea of a "program" as we see them today is as archaic to a Technomancer as trying to cook a microwavable meal by building a camp fire. The technomancer can play a Simsense in his mind, he can see ARE with his eyes and he could (this one is easily a given) hack a Smartlink to tell it "Switch your rate of fire and let me know how much ammo you have left" and he could easily use the AR visual of the "cross hairs". So all that factored in I still don't think it's much of a stretch to say they can also send a command at the speed of thought that says "Okay, I'm looking at three guys and I don't want to shoot the middle one"

so I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a hidden power behind the Technomancer - why else would you limit them from getting cyberware if most of what they can do is mimic the abilities of cyberware. I mean if all a TM amounted to was a Hacker with a built in commlink then why limit their cyberware - if anything a technomancer should have even MORE of a sybiotic relationship to his "electronic parts" unless the Technomancer was meant to mimic the effects of most cyberware in the first place.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 30 2007, 07:26 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

there are 2 parts (3 if you include the image link) to a smartgun system. the technomancer can certainly install a smartgun system into a weapon of choice, just like everyone else, but technomancers *don't* have the smartgun link vision mod built in.

precisely what this vision mod does is unclear (one hypothesis is that it involves letting the smartgun system know the physical location of the eyes relative to the gun, iirc, but it's not specified in the books to my knowledge), but we do know that without it (and the TM doesn't explicitly have one built in) smartguns are no different from regular guns.

since we don't even really know all that much about why you need the smartgun link, we can't really say whether or not it's reasonable to let a TM use a smartgun to full effect without the link). the most reasonable solution, IMO, is to err on the side of caution and require the TM to get a smartgun link (implanted or external are both fine) just like everyone else.

+Quote Post
i101
post Aug 30 2007, 07:38 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,989

True Jaid. In my round a TM also couldnt emulate a Smartlink System. Smartlink is more then just a Programm that marks "only" the Chars Targets. Its a cooperation of hard - and software. Without the laser rangefinder that calculates and displays the distance to the target the Smartlink wouldnt even work.

+Quote Post
Irian
post Aug 30 2007, 08:01 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,709

It was more detailled in the old (SR3) Cyberware-Book (back when a smartlink was 0.5 essence). And yes, it contained something that calculated the position of the user relative to the gun...

I wouldn't allow TM to emulate a smartlink. They can read the output "Target is pointing at 123,456,789 - Distance 12 feet, etc." but they can't tell what this means compared to THEIR actual position, so they don't get any bonuses - ok, they could tell the smartlink to change the firing mode, etc.

+Quote Post
bardnoir
post Aug 30 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (Jaid)
there are 2 parts (3 if you include the image link) to a smartgun system. the technomancer can certainly install a smartgun system into a weapon of choice, just like everyone else, but technomancers *don't* have the smartgun link vision mod built in.

precisely what this vision mod does is unclear (one hypothesis is that it involves letting the smartgun system know the physical location of the eyes relative to the gun, iirc, but it's not specified in the books to my knowledge), but we do know that without it (and the TM doesn't explicitly have one built in) smartguns are no different from regular guns.

since we don't even really know all that much about why you need the smartgun link, we can't really say whether or not it's reasonable to let a TM use a smartgun to full effect without the link). the most reasonable solution, IMO, is to err on the side of caution and require the TM to get a smartgun link (implanted or external are both fine) just like everyone else.

If this is all true how could you have a smarklink system in a pair of contact lenese or sunglasses? Are not the sunglasses a specialized "commlink" to the gun in question? The gun asks the glasses "Where are you and what are you looking at?" the glasses respond "this is my visual" the gun says "Based on what I'm pointing at the crosshairs should be displayed HERE"

Anyone who's played a "shooting game" should understand that the majority of the hardware is in the gun. The gun has a camera, ranger finder and so on that collects the data. The "system" is what uses the camera and laser as well as tracking ammo, heat and stress of the gun. We also know that a smartgun can be accessed via a wireless linkg to be fired remotely or to NOT fire. The system doesn't even have to be build INTO the gun and can simply be "attached". This is the FIRST part of the smart "marriage"

The "Link" just interacts with the system to "read" and "display" this information. In the "headware" version we learn that it's just an Implanted version of the other. So if you ask me, an cyber smartlink is simply an implated version of the hardware (like sunglasses) needed to interact with a smartgun. It's not about a pad implanted in your hand anymore, it's more like a hightech "BlueTooth".

That said we know a Technomancer's brain IS basicly said "BlueTooth" and even a hacker can jump into a CyberArm. may people have talked aobut how the "Spoof" command is what tells a piece of hardware that you're giving it a legitamte command. And we know a Technomancer and SEE AR... so again, don't see any reason to say that a Technomancer can't use a smartlinked gun based on the same reason he can command Drones without a Rig and Hack without a Commlink by simply sending the commands (or "Spoofing" them if you'd rather) that request the AR data a smartgun would send to a pair of contact lenses. I mean truly it's not a problem for a Technomancer to just walk around with a pair of shades but doesn't it seem kind of odd to say that he can send mental thoughts to a drone, take over driving a car from the back seat, force your cyber arm to punch you in the head all while watching a Simsense stored on someone ELSES commlink without ever leaving his seat... but talking to that gun... that's a different story.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Aug 30 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #12

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

QUOTE (Jaid)
actually, the spoof program is for making stuff do things they wouldn't normally do

I meant that after you have hacked into a soda dispenser, you can use Command to order it to vend. (Vending is within the program, but it has not received the general precursor.) Or activate diagnostic systems, etc.

Spoof is when you pretending to be a different user or system.

+Quote Post
bardnoir
post Aug 30 2007, 08:31 PM
Post #13

Target

QUOTE (Irian @ Aug 30 2007, 03:01 PM)
It was more detailled in the old (SR3) Cyberware-Book (back when a smartlink was 0.5 essence). And yes, it contained something that calculated the position of the user relative to the gun...

I wouldn't allow TM to emulate a smartlink. They can read the output "Target is pointing at 123,456,789 - Distance 12 feet, etc." but they can't tell what this means compared to THEIR actual position, so they don't get any bonuses - ok, they could tell the smartlink to change the firing mode, etc.

First you can't use the old tech from SR3. In that system you had to have a wire that connected you head to a machine and in SR3 you needed a pad in your hand to physically connect to the weapon. You also had to have these goggles with a wire that reach out to the gun if you wanted a smartlink.

All of that is dead now so the examples cannot apply, even the nature of the Matrix has changed.

And as for "reading" the output from what I understand I don't think that the way a Technomancer works... they don't "read/write" Code they "feel/live" it. Even the idea of a Sprite files in the face of conventional technology for Shadowrun as it's a program that has no source or origin that would indicate it was "data" or "a program". So you can't sit there and think a Technomancer walks around saying stuff in his head like "I want to go to IP Address 127.0.0.1 and access frequency 01110111011001..." No the technomancer just "knows" the IP Address and "feels" the device on the other end. Just like you just "know" an area of you house. If someone calls you at home and asks "Where are you?" you just say "In front of the TV - how about you?" you don't say "I'm at 216 degrees latitude and 138 degrees longitude, about 1000 feet above sea level."

So while a normal human would see "Target is pointing at 123,456,789 - Distance 12 feet..." because that's what the program is sending to a display link to be translated by the link for conversion into univeral image data to be read by the generic end user to the Technomancer it would be more like "Dude, aim higher!"

Heck the more you guys try to convince me otherwise the more I'm thinking there isn't a reason to stop my players from doing so, either way a preadator and a pair of glasses are just going to cost :nuyen: 1025 total (1 build point alone covers that). But it just seems weird to me that we're making someone who can mentally hack drones and commlinks shell out another :nuyen: 625 for sunglasses for the soul purpose of linking to the gun considering the Image Link in the glasses is a waste for the techno who doesn't need one to see anything else (including simsense) otherwise...

+Quote Post
bardnoir
post Aug 30 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (augurer)
QUOTE (Tarantula @ Aug 30 2007, 10:29 AM)
They have a built-in commlink/sim-module.  Not a built in smartlink.  Buy a pair of contacts.

Shouldn't they be able to thread up a complex form to simulate the smartlink? All a smartlink really is is some software that writes to your AR display.

I missed this comment, didn't realize that someone might have been agreeing with me.

In this spirit it also makes me wonder why so many people are trying desperatly to find a valid agrument against it when most people complain that Techno's aren't that great to begin with.

...maybe the reality it they aren't being used to thier FULL potential.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Aug 30 2007, 09:19 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

TM's don't even explicitly get AR from what I recall, they only get a commlink and SIM module. As such, they would need glasses and ear buds to interface with AR.

However, I rule that it's silly and give them AR anyway, but if you do that, you're basically giving them smartlink for free. Not that it's that expensive to start with though.

My understanding of the Eye portion of the smartlink was that it was a repository for gun ballistics data (which a TM can't store in his commlink), and an advanced software which would factor in environmental factors (wind, fog, distance), to show the exact path of the bullet. So a TM could do it if he had the ballistics data I guess

+Quote Post
Irian
post Aug 30 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,709

The eye part was...

- Connection to gun (inductive pad, in SR4 replaced by wireless or skinlink)
- Display Link
- minimal Simrig (determines the user's and the weapon's position)
- Ballistic Computer (calculates what to show)

So the TM doesn't have a Simrig, so he can't get enough information to determine the relative weapon position. And he doesn't have a ballistic computer, so he can't calculate anything correctly.

+Quote Post
bardnoir
post Aug 30 2007, 09:37 PM
Post #17

Target

QUOTE (Irian)
The eye part was...

- Display Link

So the TM doesn't have a Simrig, so he can't get enough information to determine the relative weapon position. And he doesn't have a ballistic computer, so he can't calculate anything correctly.

half right. (I finally found in on the FAQ).
Technomancers see AR exactly as everyone else does -- as additional info overlaid on top of their real world senses. They experience VR the same as any other Matrix user -- as fully immersed in a virtual world. The AR overlay is "always on," but they can filter it out so that it doesn't distract them from perceiving the real world as well (though most technomancers enjoy the constant buzz of online info)

so the say that a TM doens't have a Sim Rig or some kind of AR input will always fail as an argument.

Also...
"In theory, a technomancer could create a complex form, access a smartlink program on a commlink, or find some other way of handling that computation in real time (routing it through an online smartlink ballistics processor on some website somewhere, for example), in which case the smartlink accessory would be unnecessary. We leave it to individual gamemasters over whether or not to allow that in their games. "

Ergo the above mention idea of a complex form might actually be a way to go.

+Quote Post
bardnoir
post Aug 30 2007, 09:39 PM
Post #18

Target

QUOTE (Irian)
The eye part was...

- Display Link

half right. (I finally found in on the FAQ).
Technomancers see AR exactly as everyone else does -- as additional info overlaid on top of their real world senses. They experience VR the same as any other Matrix user -- as fully immersed in a virtual world. The AR overlay is "always on," but they can filter it out so that it doesn't distract them from perceiving the real world as well (though most technomancers enjoy the constant buzz of online info)

so to say that a TM doens't have a Sim Rig or some kind of AR input will always fail as an argument.

Also...
"In theory, a technomancer could create a complex form, access a smartlink program on a commlink, or find some other way of handling that computation in real time (routing it through an online smartlink ballistics processor on some website somewhere, for example), in which case the smartlink accessory would be unnecessary. We leave it to individual gamemasters over whether or not to allow that in their games. "

So back to what augurer said about the idea of a complex form might actually be a way to go.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 30 2007, 09:53 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

we don't need anywhere that explicitly says TMs can't use a smartgun (as a smartgun) without the appropriate hardware, any more than we need some sort of special rule that says hackers need the appropriate hardware to use a smartgun.

the rules say that TMs can't (because TMs don't have the required hardware... a smartlink is separate from an image link). it's not a matter of spoofing commands to the gun, or anything like that. it's a matter of they don't have the hardware. now we don't really know exactly why you need that hardware. maybe if we knew exactly why you need the hardware, we could conclusively make a common sense ruling that a technomancer doesn't need a separate smartlink. but we don't know why, so we can't.

certainly, you could houserule it in (and i doubt you'll cause any major imbalances by doing that, either) but it would be a houserule, don't pretend otherwise. there's nothing wrong with houserules per se, but you should be aware (and make others aware too) when you're discussing from the perspective of houserules.

and for the record, (this is to someone else who commented -'m too lazy to check names - and is not directly related to the smartlink issue. sim modules can generate AR. this is explicitly stated in the rulebook. since technomancers effectively have a sim module, they can experience AR without any external devices)

+Quote Post
AngelisStorm
post Aug 30 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

From: Edge of the Redmond Barrens, Borderline NAN. Runnin' the border for literal milk runs.
Member No.: 11,565

Actually I really like this idea.

I think that the information presented so far doesn't conclusively prove the matter one way or another. Until something comes out that does, I think I'm going to go with it. As mentioned, we're talking about a few hundred nuyen. And it has so much style, that unless something completely broken comes along, I don't see a reason not to.

- Angel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 04:06 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.