Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR: Florida
venenum
post Aug 31 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,033

Does anyone have any information on Florida and what happened to it, during the years, I have a plan for an Amerindian character from Florida, and want some history from the SR universe?

(The character is supposed to be seminole, and I would like to make the character not screw up with language barrier stuff.)

[I think it belongs in this forum]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Aug 31 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #2

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...well as I recall, the southern portion of the state is now part of the Caribbean League. The Panhandle and I think northern peninsula (J'ville) is in the CAS. Don't have my map handy at the moment for I'm at work.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 31 2007, 05:15 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I wish the entire state would sink into the ocean.

As for the Florida Seminole tribe, it's not specified but they probably would have been segregated during the troubles - possibly even shipped off with their Oklahoma cousins. In any event, they probably relocated to the NAN at some point.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Aug 31 2007, 05:35 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

I think the Miami area is pretty much a free fire zone between different corps making runs on each other. I agree about the Seminoles though. After the Ghost Dance War, indians were relocated out of the east to the NAN. I think it was like "No you are not having soverign territory here when we just gave 1/2 the continent to the indians. Go ask the Souix for some land."

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Aug 31 2007, 06:37 PM
Post #5

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

I agree with Ancient History. I think the Seminoles would have been rounded up after the Lone Eagle incident, 2009, and put in internment camps, 2010. The Ghost Dance War started in 2014 when they left the reservation.

Another discrepancy just occurred to me. When trying to bolster the number of native americans, the authors claimed that hispanics were included as native americans. If this is true, it contradicts the Caribbean League being able to exert much of any influence on a non-hispanic Miami and southern Florida.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Aug 31 2007, 06:49 PM
Post #6

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

Not official, but this is pretty cool:
http://animalball.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1191

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 31 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (tisoz)
Another discrepancy just occurred to me. When trying to bolster the number of native americans, the authors claimed that hispanics were included as native americans. If this is true, it contradicts the Caribbean League being able to exert much of any influence on a non-hispanic Miami and southern Florida.

That was after the NAN was formed; the hispanics weren't loaded up into camps or anything, and a great number probably stayed put and welcomed the Carib League with open arms.

+Quote Post
venenum
post Aug 31 2007, 07:35 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Hmmm... Looks like if i want him to be from the everglades, he will have to be hispanic.

Though that may work...

Thanks for the input.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Sep 1 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #9

Free Spirit

If you want him to be seminole from the everglades have him be a seminole from the everglades. I doubt if they could find every person hiding in the everglades, especially when the ones who know the swamp the best are seminole.

+Quote Post
venenum
post Sep 1 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (tisoz)
If you want him to be seminole from the everglades have him be a seminole from the everglades. I doubt if they could find every person hiding in the everglades, especially when the ones who know the swamp the best are seminole.

I understand that but i kinda want to make him more main stream, though maybe, just maybe, i will make him a seminole anyway.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Sep 1 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

I think having a Seminole come from Southern Florida would be pretty easy. The Seminole Nation might have picked up and moved to the NAN (I think there already are reservations in both FLA and in Oklahoma), but not every single individual is going to pick up and move. Keep in mind the Seminoles of Florida never signed a formal peace treaty with the US government, and refer to themselves as "The Unconquered People." If they survived the formation of the United States, they could probably survive the dissolution.

With the Carib League controlling Miami, and the Everglades not being the sort of place you can easily build minimalls and subdivisions, I could very easily see the Seminole Nation of Florida still going strong.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Sep 2 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Right, just because someone is an indian doesn't mean they live on a reservation. Just have this guy as a Seminole who's family lived on the reservcation etc but he's got a nice house, maybe an administrator in Tallahassee, a swamp guide in the swamps south of Orlando or a lawyer in Jacksonville. etc

+Quote Post
warrior_allanon
post Sep 2 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,273

from what i can remember of things that happened with florida, south of J'ville is Carabean league, Panhandle is a mix of CAS and NAN, basically anything Panama City and east is CAS and the areas around Eglin AFB to the alabama border is NAN, the north side of J'ville is the Ghettos for the trolls and Orks, consider it similar to Glow City or the barrens in Seatle, Tallahasee is still the capital, and the seat of magical power. thats about all i remember, besides that the Santa Rosa county fault line is actually a ley line,

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Sep 3 2007, 04:30 AM
Post #14

Free Spirit

QUOTE (warrior_allanon @ Sep 2 2007, 03:30 PM)
from what i can remember of things that happened with florida, south of J'ville is Carabean league,

Well, yeah. Way south of Jacksonville like midway between West Palm Beach (where anyone named Chad need worry about being hung ;)) and Miami. At least that is where I always saw the border, most recently in SoNA.

Panhandle is a mix of CAS and NAN, basically anything Panama City and east is CAS and the areas around Eglin AFB to the alabama border is NAN,

Huh??? The NAN gets no further east than the Texas border, unless you include Aztlan. And then they get part way into what was formerly Texas/CAS.

The border between CAS and Caribbean League (CL) illustrated in SoNA looks to run from Fort Lauderdale to Marco, close to - but not quite along - I75.

Presently, the Seminoles control vast amounts of ranch land in Florida, not just living on a destitute reservation. I do not recall the exact proportion but it seemed somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 of all the dairy cows run in FL belong to the Seminoles. So your Seminole could be the descendant of a rich ranch owner, or inherited the ranch, located in future CAS or less likely CL. Or he could be one of the Seminoles living in the everglades, likely future CL territory.

+Quote Post
Zolhex
post Sep 6 2007, 04:39 AM
Post #15

Project Terminus: Soul Hunters

Member No.: 5,798

QUOTE (Ancient History)
I wish the entire state would sink into the ocean.

HEY! I live here dang it don't drown me HONESTLY I'm not that bad a guy.

Don't even start Magus :}

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Sep 6 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #16

Free Spirit

In 1998, I started wishing Louisiana would suffer a catastrophe...

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Sep 6 2007, 01:33 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Just don't watch Emeril. it is easier that way.

+Quote Post
Fuchs
post Sep 8 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #18

Dragon

Member No.: 8,014

We run a campaign in Miami, and handle the town as split up between Gunderson Corp, and the Mafia.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 02:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.