Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4th Edition - Revised, Really?
cleggster
post Sep 4 2007, 03:02 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,927

Well, imagine my surprise when my link to FanPro sends me to Germany. On a site discussing Battletech. But after a little poking around, and realizing that I can't read German, I noticed something. Shadowrun 4.01 Revised. This is the first I have heard of this. Any idea what new? Can't be too significant with a .01 upgrade. They change the font size?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Irian
post Sep 4 2007, 03:10 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,709

The german core books were always (iirc at least since 2nd editions) called x.01D (D for "deutsch" = german). In earlier editions there were some minor differences, but I don't think that there were any in the 4th edition.

+Quote Post
Mr. Croup
post Sep 4 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 12,548

http://www.economy-point.org/s/shadowrun.html

I dropped the title into google and had a shufty. The link above (as well as other stuff i've read, babel fish is your friend) suggests that Shadowrun 4.01D Revised is being brought out because the original run of SR4 in Germany was a) a piss poor translation b) full of spelling mistakes and c) had no index.

The revised copy is just to tidy up all these points and nothing will have changed in the rules.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 4 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (Mr. Croup)

I dropped the title into google and had a shufty. The link above (as well as other stuff i've read, babel fish is your friend) suggests that Shadowrun 4.01D Revised is being brought out because the original run of SR4 in Germany was a) a piss poor translation b) full of spelling mistakes and c) had no index.

The revised copy is just to tidy up all these points and nothing will have changed in the rules.

Which is a shame actually. I normally loathe the "revised" money trick that WW pioneered (bastards). But In this case I think 4th ed could actually use some art and quality upgrades and minor rules tweaks. New cover, fluff added, upgraded graphic design. It needs visual polishing.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 5 2007, 12:21 AM
Post #5

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (Draconis)
Which is a shame actually. I normally loathe the "revised" money trick that WW pioneered (bastards).  But In this case I think 4th ed could actually use some art and quality upgrades and minor rules tweaks. New cover, fluff added, upgraded graphic design. It needs visual polishing.

...for one they need to hire Squinky, Holy Champion, and the fellow who did this fine work of art...

Jo Vreen

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 5 2007, 08:23 AM
Post #6

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Mr. Croup)

The orignal german translation of the SR4 core rule book was labeled "SR 4.01D", just to get this clear.

Everything else you wrote is damn right. Sadly.

+Quote Post
iron_ic
post Sep 5 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 8,628

QUOTE (Irian)
In earlier editions there were some minor differences, but I don't think that there were any in the 4th edition.

Well, except for the fact that the diagnostics power explicitly doesn't work for vehicles (which is, IMO, more than a simple clarification). I'm sure there are other "minor" differences which I'm not aware of.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 5 2007, 01:26 PM
Post #8

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Like the old burst fire rule in 2nd and 3rd edition... :wobble:

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 5 2007, 01:49 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Mr. Croup)
...had no index.

The current crew has some serious issues regarding indices for some reason. The one for the main book is just awful; half the time I can't find something because they put it in a weird spot and fail to cross-reference. And for books where they're really useful (those that are rules- or gear-heavy), they have a tendency to skip on them completely. Augmentation being a pristine example.

I'd personally rather have an index than a table of contents. They're significantly more useful beyond your first reading or so. But, c'est la vie.

Anyway, yeah, no real surprises regarding the German editions. Apparently, FanPro or whoever has the license to do so now (I give up trying to keep up) has a long-standing footnote in their licensing agreement that lets them modify/remove/add content to the game as they see fit. Pretty much sucks, especially when it's some great stuff they put in (like images for firearms in SR3). Then again they have added some really lame stuff, too.

But... yeah. Nothing to worry about too much. :) Only impact it might have is the occasional clashing of rules when playing with people using a different "version," which shouldn't come up too often unless playing online.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 5 2007, 02:08 PM
Post #10

Great, I'm a Dragon...

The german license is currently pending, with three companies in negotiations.

Back in SR3-times, some of the german books were really cool compared to their english counterparts (CC and M&M mainly), but at the end of the edition the translation as well as the layout got worse and worse.

+Quote Post
Irian
post Sep 5 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

The newer SR3 books had the advantage, that they also contained the infos from the Core Book. But personally, I didn't like german books because they contained these munchkin weapons... Like the SMG, that got everything (recoil comp, smartgun, sound suppressor, much ammo, etc.), was rather cheap AND was invisible to MAD Scanners :-)

What are the three companies? I pray, that Pegasus Spiele is not one of them, they already ruined the german GURPS :-)

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 5 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #12

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Pegasus .:grinbig:
Feder & Schwert.
Ulisses.

No surprise, eh? That are the three german RPG companies who have the power to work with the SR license.

+Quote Post
Irian
post Sep 5 2007, 03:05 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

I'm really happy now, that I decided only to buy the english books :-)

+Quote Post
MYST1C
post Sep 5 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

From: Braunschweig, North German League, Allied German States
Member No.: 5,537

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
QUOTE (Mr. Croup @ Sep 4 2007, 09:19 AM)
...had no index.

The current crew has some serious issues regarding indices for some reason.

Concerning the index of the German SR4 BBB Christian Lonsing (German developer) later admitted that he simply forgot it when he sent the files to the printers...

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 5 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid @ Sep 5 2007, 12:21 AM)
QUOTE (Draconis)
Which is a shame actually. I normally loathe the "revised" money trick that WW pioneered (bastards).  But In this case I think 4th ed could actually use some art and quality upgrades and minor rules tweaks. New cover, fluff added, upgraded graphic design. It needs visual polishing.

...for one they need to hire Squinky, Holy Champion, and the fellow who did this fine work of art...

Jo Vreen

That pic is indeed impressive. Nice shading.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.