IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Augmentation Review, What are your thoughts?
Zhan Shi
post Sep 5 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,615

Being someone who is not particularly interested in the tech side of things, I thought it was "OK". The section that most grabbed my attention was the section on cybermancy. As far as writing and artwork, I would give it a 10.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Sep 5 2007, 01:59 AM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

One word: wonderfun!

+Quote Post
jklst14
post Sep 5 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #3

CosaNostra Deliverator

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,034

Agreed with Dashifen. I think it was a fantastic supplement. It made cyberlimbs awesome, for the first time in SR history. It updated old favorites from Man & Machine as well as providing lots of fun new toys. Until this book, I really felt SR was slanted towards mages but after Augmentation, the balance feels just right to me.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Sep 5 2007, 03:07 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

I think Augmentation is the best SR4 book to date. As a mage, I would say that Street Magic is more useful to me of course, but Augmentation is very well crafted. The fluff is interesting and informative and the crunch is detailed and useful. They fixed some limitations to cyberlimbs, which is cool. The new positive and negative qualities were really needed and fit the game perfectly. The nanotech and genetech sections were surprisingly large sections with lots of useful stuff. The artwork is great too and adds a lot to the feel of the book. I can't really say anything negative about the book...I'm not sure why the penis and breast implants each got their own sections instead of being rolled into the cosmetic mods section, but I'm told that Americans don't understand those things.

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Sep 5 2007, 03:42 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,615

On the whole, we Americans have an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Many of us, including myself and (I think) Doc Funk, do not see how adding rules for cybergenetalia enhances the game; it's "wasted space" that could have been more fruitfully used. But SR also has an international following, so "When in Rome..." and all that.

+Quote Post
nathanross
post Sep 5 2007, 05:28 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,845

AUGMENTATIONS COVER IS THE WORST SHADOWRUN COVER EVER

Now that I have that out of my system, I must say, Man & Machine was a great supplement, Augmentation is better. I seriously enjoyed reading through it. It put together so much fluff that had been scattered about. Now cyber, bio, nano, genetech and more are all in one ~200p book.

My only gripe is that after looking over the book and all the gear, Im kind of worried how some of the things are going to stack and how balance will be.

Sure, hackers have the ware now to not only out match TM's further, but also spank hacker-adepts. I have yet to total how many dice you can get in conjunction with Logic or Intuition tests, but it cant be small. Sure, most of it is limited to knowledge skills, but common! I actually wish for more flavorful, if not downright pointless ware like the cyberpenis, instead of trying to make every......single.......tiny......... ounce ........ of ware augment the character in some way. There are way too DP modifying wares on the market now. And now there aren't even trade offs for most of the stuff aside from the essence cost.

+Quote Post
Synner667
post Sep 5 2007, 06:57 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,753

QUOTE (Buster)
I'm not sure why the penis and breast implants each got their own sections instead of being rolled into the cosmetic mods section, but I'm told that Americans don't understand those things.

Hmmm...

Not quite sure what you mean by Europeans "don't understand those things", when the US is much more obsessed with cosmetic surgery and the shallowness of external appearance..
..But there you go.

As you say, there's no reason at all why they should have sections devoted to them..
..Unless they want to prove they can write up similar material available in CP2020 for the past couple of years ??

just my thruppence...

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 5 2007, 07:00 AM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Synner667)
QUOTE (Buster @ Sep 5 2007, 03:07 AM)
...but I'm told that Americans don't understand those things.

Hmmm...

Not quite sure what you mean by Europeans "don't understand those things", when the US is much more obsessed with cosmetic surgery and the shallowness of external appearance..
..But there you go.

???

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 5 2007, 07:02 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

It's pretty good, well worth the money. It reads well, much better than I was expecting. It's not just a list of "stuff". There is a lot of cool stuff, a fair amount of stuff I still think should just provide a fiated effect that only gives a +2 or something lame like that and some stuff that is quite insane. But insane in a cool way.

I still would pay an extra $5-10 it they would just roll the stuff from the BBB into Augmentation so you wouldn't keep having to look junk up in the BBB, the errata and in the FAQ to see how the add-on in augmentation works.

+Quote Post
knasser
post Sep 5 2007, 07:43 AM
Post #10

Shadow Cartographer

Member No.: 8,636

Probably the best supplement yet, and I have a very high regard for the 4th edition so far (and have bought every book for it so far).

The cover is pig ugly and that is quite bluntly the worst thing I can say for it. It is stuffed with flavour and useful things. It expands the power level upwards to compete with magic, which was necessary, but does so in a balanced way with, based on my limited use so far, well-pitched availabilities, essence costs and prices. The fluff is superbly written and really draws you in. Artwork is sparse but good. And it has Kid Stealth legs. :D

To the anti-penis crowd, I can only ask again why they complain about the cyber-genitalia but not implanted horns, silky skin, chloroplast skin, etc., if, as they say, their complaint is that it is wasted space that does not have a game application. I visited the US about eight years ago and found the people there friendly, forthright and hugely certain of what was right and wrong. When it came to sexuality, everyone was militant. Those who had sex outside a relationship were proud of it, those who had sex only within a relationship were proud of it. Gays were proud of it. Straights were either proud of their straightness or (oddly) proud of having gay friends to the point that I even met people who pretended to be lesbian or bisexual! Everybody was making a statement about their way of life.

The original SR London sourcebook put it well, I think, when it said that the difference between European and American sex was primarily oral... americans talked more about it - before, during and after. :D Europeans tend to just get on with it.

I hope this doesn't cause offense, but it is my genuine impression of having spent time in both European and American cultures.

+Quote Post
Casper
post Sep 5 2007, 08:01 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,002

QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
On the whole, we Americans have an "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. Many of us, including myself and (I think) Doc Funk, do not see how adding rules for cybergenetalia enhances the game; it's "wasted space" that could have been more fruitfully used. But SR also has an international following, so "When in Rome..." and all that.

You know it was a nod to the cyberpunk 2020 of old.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 5 2007, 08:08 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Think what you like. They already said the reason they included it was, and I paraphrase, "because we couldn't think of a reason not to" with "(without looking like prudish Americans)" written in between the lines. Of course a few days later, the same guy was complaining about how they didn't have enough room in the book to fit everything they would have liked in, too. Which is exactly why it's so pathetic it's in there at all. Not because of the actual content, but because that space could have been used for something useful.

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 5 2007, 08:22 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 185

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
Think what you like. They already said the reason they included it was, and I paraphrase, "because we couldn't think of a reason not to" with "(without looking like prudish Americans)" written in between the lines. Of course a few days later, the same guy was complaining about how they didn't have enough room in the book to fit everything they would have liked in, too. Which is exactly why it's so pathetic it's in there at all. Not because of the actual content, but because that space could have been used for something useful.

The correct paraphrasing would have been "because we couldn't think of a good reason to cut them" (no pun intended) with "(without looking like prudish Americans)." We decided to include them at the expense of other things because we thought they were just as valid an addition (for some groups) - and we stand by that decision.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 5 2007, 08:36 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Oh, right, right. I keep forgetting how important and constantly requested it was to hear players snicker "heh heh, I got a cybercock!" versus, you know, all the other myriad and actual game-related things that could have been put into the book instead. Nevermind that cybersex organs could have easily been written in as a single sentence under cosmetic surgery, too. They fully deserved -- nay, demanded -- multiple paragraphs all their own.

Hopefully the next company that gets the license will correct that philosophy in future books.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 5 2007, 08:49 AM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 948

My only gripe about Augmentation is that even though cyberlimbs have become BETTER they are far from what their description implies.

1: Availability
For trolls and orcs with exceptional physical attributes (compared to the common man) the availability becomes killing.

2: Cost
Very popular among the poor it says, even though the base price runs between two to four months middle lifestyles

3: metahuman unfriendly
Not automatically tailored to average metahuman attributes but must customize even the most basic limb for high cost.

End result: Too hich cost for non runners (and for some reason I see non runners as the companies big customer base). Too high availability even for those with real SIN’s.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 5 2007, 09:03 AM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

I agree, the cost is high compared to how commonplace they're supposed to be amongst "the poor," but they are still cheaper than a cloned replacement. Not by much, again another hit against it, but they are.

I agree about the other points though. Particularly Availability (the way they're handling it is all kinds of fucked up) and the lack of baseline stats for metahumans. That said, the actual rules for the limbs themselves are scores above previous rules for cyberlimbs were. They're not just storage compartments for cool gadgets. They're that and more.

I just wish redlining wasn't as brutal as it's listed as. Some discouragement for using it was needed, sure, but it's something I couldn't justify myself using in almost any situation.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Sep 5 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

The stuff is good:
- lot of new stuff, most of them available and useful without being too powerful.
- Most of the augs allow the player to customize his character with a special ability or "power" rather than just max out one skill/attribute or another.
- No "must-have" (implants that some kind of characters need to buy to be good at their job) except for the encephalon for hackers (but I guess it helps non-adept hackers to get on par with magically augmented hacking skills)
- Mages and adepts aren't necessarily the best in every field anymore, and mundanes can have their own funky tricks.
- Fluff in the stuff! Good to remind players and GM how people in 2070 can look like and to add flavor to PCs and NPCs. Mentioning it is good, but adding it to the equipement list is making sure that the players will notice it and maybe even buy it.
- new horizons, but still cyberpunkish (not too many transhuman/post-cyberpunk tech)

The fluff is... mixed:
- Interesting and well done scientific explanations. They give a ground to those who absolutely need them while not going too far to avoid being ridiculous in some cases.
- Some interesting info about corporations, and how these augmentation techs are used.
- But it lacks atmosphere. The fluff is still too far from street-level. The shadowtalks are mostly flavorless. Most of the time it's just '>I agree, >I disagree' with the occasional archetypal '>I like tech (cyberguy), >Tech is baaad (shaman), >You're stupid, >No you are'. It's good to have ingame content and shadowtalks in rulebooks, but they lack the charm of the 1st edition sammy crazy about this new gun, or commenting the advertising blurb. Oh, except for that anecdote about the BattlePez. It took me a few seconds to figure it out, but it made me laugh out loud.

About the penile implant, if you're so much sorry about "losing" a few lines of text, just replace it with :
Wired rocket blades of combat awesomness : These sharp rocket blades look cool and are definitely super useful to the game because they give additional dice to combat tests.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 5 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

They were complaining about a lack of space for more interesting content, too. Despite their apparent need to feel like they have to defend their addition of cocks and tits as if they were the President of the United States defending some dunderheaded decision.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 5 2007, 09:34 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Blade)
- No "must-have" (implants that some kind of characters need to buy to be good at their job) except for the encephalon for hackers (but I guess it helps non-adept hackers to get on par with magically augmented hacking skills)

Other than maybe the Attention Coprocessor.

+Quote Post
Mr. Croup
post Sep 5 2007, 09:37 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 12,548

Oh, right, right. I keep forgetting how important and constantly requested it was to hear players snicker "heh heh, I got a cybercock!" versus, you know, all the other myriad and actual game-related things that could have been put into the book instead. Nevermind that cybersex organs could have easily been written in as a single sentence under cosmetic surgery, too. They fully deserved -- nay, demanded -- multiple paragraphs all their own.

Hopefully the next company that gets the license will correct that philosophy in future books.

Simmer down, really there's no reason to get so upset over something as slight as a paragraph of text on a cyber-willy. I mean it can hardly be considered paragraphs of text and it certainly doesn't take up all that much space. To be honest the whole cyber-booby and cyber-willy thing really are small footnotes to the rest of the stuff and if you think they aren't game related then you might as well throw out all the cosmetic bioware, cyberware, geneware and nanoware that serves no funtion but to allow you to role extra dice in game.

I personally think it was a good idea to include them, for too long i've felt that Shadowrun has been treated with kid-gloves to greater and lesser extents and the inclusion of implants such as these at least gives the game more scope. You may not agree, but what would happen if poor Joe Samurai is caught in an explosion and has most of his lower body mangled beyond repair? Replacement legs? sure. Replacement penis? Terribly sorry that's a little bit beyond the pale for our liking, i'm afraid you're going to have to go neuter.

My point is, that from a roleplay perspective it has it's place, especially considering the proliferation of Transhumanity in SR4 and if you're group feels comfortable with dealing with roleplay issues of this kind. It's a terrible assumption to think that every player of SR is going to go running around giggling like some school kid after hearing his first dick joke. I'd like to think that most roleplayers are mature enough to realise that if you don't want to use something in a book because they find it uncomfortable then they shouldn't use it - The golden rule of Roleplaying games.

Or would you have preferred the cyber-penis to include the ability to piss bullets or neurotoxin? It seems to me that many of the implants that don't have an actual in game purpose in SR are derided as a waste of space whilst those that have a purpose - making the character a more efficient dealer of death or l33t hacker are rarely grumbled at. Which is a shame as i find the cosmetic implants a great breath of fresh air into something that was risking becoming very stale.

My only bone (no pun intended, i assure you) of contention is that they did not give the vagina the same service as they did the humble penis, though i think the same rules and essence cost would easily be useable for a female implant.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 5 2007, 09:38 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Other than maybe the Attention Coprocessor.

That's not a must have for a specific archetype. It's just a really good choice for any character. There's quite a few of those in both Augmentation and the core rules.

I would add a Nanohive with Control Rig Boosters for a Rigger, though. Up to +3 dice on all vehicle tests (in addition to the +2 bonus from a standard Control Rig) is pretty sweet.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 5 2007, 09:42 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Mr. Croup @ Sep 5 2007, 03:37 AM)
Simmer down, really there's no reason to get so upset over something as slight as a paragraph of text on a cyber-willy.

Once again: It has less to do with the fact that it's cyber cocks and tits and more to do with how pathetically useless and juvenile it is, as opposed to the space, time, and effort that could have been spent on adding something more useful and relevant to the game (which, also again, is something Synner was directly whining about in regards to not having enough space for things in another thread some time ago).

It could easily have been about cyberwarts or cyberingrown hairs. Both of those can be (and are) covered by the short blurb on cosmetic implants. There was no need whatsoever to devote multiple paragraphs -- and it most certainly was multiple paragraphs -- on the subject of tits and dicks. Neither of which should even come into play in most games, except by juvenile little brats looking for a cheap laugh. (Who could have gotten that exact same laugh by just saying the character had them without needing "rules" for it.)

+Quote Post
Mr. Croup
post Sep 5 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 12,548

No need, in your opinion.

I'm still trying to work out why you believe the idea to be juvenile. If you really don't like the idea, don't use it, but i'm certainly against the idea that only "juvenile brats" would use these implants in their game for a "cheap laugh". Why can't an adult of sound mind use them as what they are - roleplaying aids - without being chalked up as infant-minded?

+Quote Post
Rotbart van Dain...
post Sep 5 2007, 10:06 AM
Post #24

Hoppelhäschen 5000

Member No.: 5,951

QUOTE (knasser)
To the anti-penis crowd, I can only ask again why they complain about the cyber-genitalia but not implanted horns, silky skin, chloroplast skin, etc., if, as they say, their complaint is that it is wasted space that does not have a game application.

Because the latter are somewhat original. Enlarged boobs and dicks are just standard stuff today.

And, honestly: I hate the whole Cosmetics section in Augmention with a passion - both cyberware and bioware. And it got nothing to do with the selection of example implants.
Because in the main book, cosmetic stuff was free of Essence cost. 'Pimp your Character' to your hearts content... it was fine. Put the 'punk' back in Cyberpunk, so to speak.
With Augmention, we are basically back to the same old 'Want to look cool? Well, that'll degrade your overall performance'. And the basic book will be retconned to support that. Meh. :S

+Quote Post
Synner
post Sep 5 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 185

(which, also again, is something Synner was directly whining about in regards to not having enough space for things in another thread some time ago).

Actually no. Synner was whining about no such thing. Someone else was whining about how they would have liked a few extra lines to clarify something in another entry. I responded that I didn't consider the clarification necessary to begin with, and that space was at a premium. No whining. You decided to blow that out of proportion and make it about the relative merit of space allocated to cybergenetalia. My previous response in this thread holds.

And now back to our regular programming...

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:09 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.