Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GM Troubles
Kyleigh Wester
post Sep 5 2007, 08:50 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,356

Hey there dumpshockers, my group is having a little trouble and we're not quite sure how we're going to resolve is. Our GM has just about hit our nerves. See, we always play Shadowrun in one of two locations. His bedroom, or in my apartment. What's the problem? Well you see, his room is cramped, his house has constant interruptions, and generally nobody wants to play there. However, he insists. If we ask to play in the apartment he asks us for a valid reason, but nomatter what we say he claims it isn't good enough.

The apartment is spacious, has a large round table to play on, it stays cool up here and generally it just feels more comfortable for table top games. His room is small, two or three of us are always forced to sit on his bed, his family members interrupt us constantly, and we play on the floor. It's gotten to the point today that one of the most important members is downright refusing to play and limiting the team now. His campaign is fun and i'd hate to quit, but I may have to. Is there anyway we can resolve this? How do other players deal with their GMs?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Sep 5 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Give him the list you provided here. If that doesn't work, consider hitting him over the head with a large trout.

Out of curiosity, has he explained why he prefers a cramped room with constant interruptions, or just refused to accept any arguments that your place would work better?

+Quote Post
wargear
post Sep 5 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,648

Put the grievance in writing. Put the solution that the players see as acceptable in writing. Have the entire group sign it and present the document to your gm.

If he refuses to take that seriously...give up on him, and find a new gm.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Sep 5 2007, 09:49 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

I'm with HoV here. List the reasons you did above and if he's still being mulish about the whole situation there may not be much you can do. Once he realizes that you've started up a new game at your apartment and you're having fun without him, maybe he'll come around.

:cyber:

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 5 2007, 10:04 PM
Post #5

ghostrider

Member No.: 6,333

Another vote for HoV's approach. One thing, though, is I would definitely ask what his reasons are for wanting to stay in the room. If it's agoraphobia and you try to drag him out of there, things might get ugly. ;)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Sep 5 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #6

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

I vote you just make him want to avoid his room at all costs. Drop a heavy section of ceiling next to his head while he's sleeping, put speakers in his walls to whisper things to him, slip blood squibs behind his wallpaper and blow them up late at night, that sort of thing. A few weeks and he'll be begging to be somewhere else.

~J

+Quote Post
Penta
post Sep 5 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

That's just mean.:)

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 5 2007, 11:05 PM
Post #8

ghostrider

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
I vote you just make him want to avoid his room at all costs. Drop a heavy section of ceiling next to his head while he's sleeping, put speakers in his walls to whisper things to him, slip blood squibs behind his wallpaper and blow them up late at night, that sort of thing. A few weeks and he'll be begging to be somewhere else.

~J

Okay, scratch my vote for HoV's method. I'm voting for this one now. :D

+Quote Post
Cadmus
post Sep 5 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,304

well its easyer to play with out a gm then it is to gm with out players hehe.

I say talk to the group and if all agree tell you gm that the game will be at the larger spot, if he can't give you a convincing reason why he can't gm their just leave him.

+Quote Post
Labyr
post Sep 5 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 12,957

I had a situation like this. It's best to bring it up in plain (but non-confrontational language). Some GMs like home field advantage, maybe he has a lot of books on hand or something else entirely.

+Quote Post
Penta
post Sep 5 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Could he be afraid of traveling? Is he usually kinda shut-in otherwise?

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Sep 6 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #12

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Offer him incentives to move - Offer a free lift back and forth. Bring snacks (good ones, like brownies or really good chips, or beer) for every game he agrees to play at the apartment, etc. You can ease out of the bribes once he's gotten into the habit of going to the apartment.

I would advise against the "signed petition" thing. Having everyone turn against you sucks, he probably won't take it well and you'll end up losing him.

+Quote Post
Kyleigh Wester
post Sep 6 2007, 01:31 AM
Post #13

Target

Thanks for the ideas everybody. The problem was semi solved when we agreed to move to a bigger room of his house, but we still had several interruptions and problems with comfort. We do offer snacks and what not but he refuses them. We can't just up and leave because he is after all a friend and he'd probably freak out and get all pissed. When we told him we might not play this session he like blew up. Seriously, we might just pick a new GM.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 6 2007, 02:12 AM
Post #14

ghostrider

I hate to cast aspersions, but it almost sounds like he has a bit more going on than not wanting to change the location of his game. :(

I hope it works out for you guys.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 6 2007, 02:29 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (eidolon)
I hate to cast aspersions, but it almost sounds like he has a bit more going on than not wanting to change the location of his game. :(

Agreed, and that sucks. :(

What you might want to try is to ask him why he doesn't want to play at your apartment, rather than constantly beg or try to strongarm him into doing so. Find the source of the problem, then try to find a solution to it. He obviously has his reasons...

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Sep 6 2007, 03:56 AM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

Yeah, either he is unbalanced - which you'd notice - or he's not telling you what the issue is, and until you've got that sorted I don't think you are likely to get a resolution.

+Quote Post
Kyleigh Wester
post Sep 6 2007, 08:06 AM
Post #17

Target

Okay, here are the reasons he's given me: "I don't want to move my stuff when I have it all here". This his silly, considering all his stuff is in a blue bag together, and I literally live down the street from him. He's like two houses down. "I have trouble breathing in your apartment". This was a new one to me. No ones every brought this up to me, this I guess is a good reason to me but everyone else just thought he was being complainy.

I guess the question might be "Why do you want to play at the apartment so bad". Well, quite frankly, it's more fun. We have sodas and snacks, a big round table, chairs and space for everyone. Plus, our Adept is threatening to quit if our GM keeps ignoring us.

As for those of you who think he might have books or secrets pertaining to the campaign at his house, I can already rule that out. He isn't just our GM, he's one of my best friends, and he's not really the sneaky kind of GM either. He even gives us hints as to our next session sometime. Good news is, however, we're playing twice this week. We played today, and we'll be playing friday.

It's more like a scenario then a run. I asked him if I could hack and airfield and put a fighter jet under my name and change it so it was, technically, mine. After that i'll have it transported to another airfield and....have my own jet. I love being a decker.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Sep 6 2007, 09:27 AM
Post #18

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

What's the age group? Could it be a parent placing restrictions on him? Wanting to monitor the childs activities and friends?

This could explain the constant interruptions as the group is checked upon. It would also be embarrassing to a young man - enough to lie about the reasons he can not freely socialize with friends.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 6 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Maybe he's just obsessive compulsive in some way and isn't comfortable in that apartment.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Sep 7 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

His refusal to move when everyone else is happier in your place is odd. I would ask about the 'can't breath' thing. That sounds like he has problems that do not have anything to do with gaming.

If the problem at his place is constant interuptions, this will not change by changing rooms.

DO NOT do the written thing. Think how you would feel if the group did that to you.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Sep 7 2007, 03:40 PM
Post #21

The back-up plan

Member No.: 3,910

Trouble breathing in the apartment could also come from a previously unknown allergy to pet dander.

Best of luck sorting this out. If you're in the Greater San Diego area, let me know. I'm still looking for a stable SR group...

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 7 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #22

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Is he otherwise comfortable being at your place? Should be with friends living in the same street.

+Quote Post
TheMadDutchman
post Sep 7 2007, 05:08 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,950

I have a friend whose cat I am allergic too. Anytime we'd game at his place I'd have to load up on allergy medication to get through the night which was pretty interesting because I also drank a lot at those sessions.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 7 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #24

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

QUOTE (TheMadDutchman)
I have a friend whose cat I am allergic too. Anytime we'd game at his place I'd have to load up on allergy medication to get through the night which was pretty interesting because I also drank a lot at those sessions.

...mmmmmmm...synergy.....

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Sep 7 2007, 06:30 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

I vote with HoV, but add my two nuyen;

Speak to the GM, but in a calm, intelligent manner: take him asdie & ask what (the f*ck) is going on, because he's starting to piss off the group. If he refuses to elaborate, finish off the campaign as smoothly as possible, then ask him to step down as GM for a while. Call it a 'GM rotation'. If he refuses, he knows where the door is.
As the old gaming addage goes, The GM may be God, but a god is nothing without worshippers.

EDIT: spelling mistakes already fixed.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.