Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spirit, if *this* occurs do *that*..., Front-end loading Aid Sorcery actions
Wasabi
post Sep 6 2007, 01:09 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,651

Is it valid to use a service to have a spirit Aid Sorcery the next time you cast a spell of the correct type?

I'm sure the spirit might have to make an Assensing roll to identify it and thus fulfill the service and if it were to fail the assensing test it would not Aid Sorcery until it did identify a set of conditions permitted by its instructions.

The goal is for the mage to save an action in combat. After all, front end loading a Aid Sorcery for a Combat spell isn't going to have a use outside blasting someone and when it comes time to blast someone few mages want to spend an action to use an Aid Sorcery while getting blasted themselves.

There are several ways to house-rule on this and the RAW way is the one I'm curious about. :-)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 6 2007, 01:21 PM
Post #2

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Wasabi)
Is it valid to use a service to have a spirit Aid Sorcery the next time you cast a spell of the correct type?

Well, technically, that is exactly what you are doing when you request that Service. You are asking the Spirit to use its Power on the next appropriate Spell you cast. There does not seem to be any time requirement, other than the one Service per day the Spirit is present, and it would have to be present to use the Power when necessary.

As to the Assensing test, I don't think it would be necessary, as the Spirit is intimately familiar with that one particular type of Spell category, and would hardly mistake it for another.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 6 2007, 01:40 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Come to think about it... the spirit could also spot a Fetish specified for combat spells to tell it was a combat spell.

Thanks for the validation that I'm not going bonkers. :-)

+Quote Post
Mikado
post Sep 6 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,286

I'm sure the spirit might have to make an Assensing roll to identify it and thus fulfill the service and if it were to fail the assensing test it would not Aid Sorcery until it did identify a set of conditions permitted by its instructions.

We play it that as long as the spirit is in astral (as in already called to you) you can use its bonus dice at any time and just mark off as a service used. No specific request is used. We like to think of it as using a spell or power focus.

Edit: IMO the best if/then service to give a spirit is for spirits of man (with innate spell: Heal power) is: if I get hurt heal me...

+Quote Post
laughingowl
post Sep 6 2007, 10:33 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,895

Actually this is not needed..

The spirit needs to be present to aid sorcery (so if not there you DO have to spend a action to call it)... but if spriti is present (so could)..

[quote = FAQ]
Do the bound spirit services Aid Sorcery or Spell Sustaining take an action to use, or do they happen instantly?

In both cases, the magician must take the appropriate Complex Action to cast the spell, but taking aid from the spirit or passing on the task of sustaining requires no action power is simply funneled from the spirit through the magician's link to it. [/quote]

Mage spend complex action to cast spell... it is a 'no action' not even a free action for the spirit to actually 'aid sorcery' (or to take over (or for mage to take back over) sustaining.

+Quote Post
Wasabi
post Sep 7 2007, 10:05 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Wow, good find laughingowl. I'll read up on that FAQ. It has some interesting things about Wards as well.

Thanks!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.