Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weapono Foci, What are the limits in 4th
Prime Mover
post Sep 9 2007, 01:01 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Only weapon foci examples been able to find are in Street Magic under formula section which lists wooden staff and vibroknife (not sure but I don't recall ever seeing vibro weapons stated in SR, do remember them being in BT).

So have player asking if could make mono whip foci? Were do you draw the line?

EDIT: Actually went back and looked, vibroblades were in cannon comp.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 9 2007, 01:07 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,935

Heh. I've fielded questions where somebody wanted to turn a truck into a weapon focus and run people over with it.

The answer is, any item can be a weapon focus. Any. But it only works when used in melee combat. If you decide to enchant a car, then your troll adept has to actually pick it up and use it as an improvised melee weapon for it to be used as a weapon focus.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 9 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

The answer is, any item can be a weapon focus. Any. But it only works when used in melee combat. If you decide to enchant a car, then your troll adept has to actually pick it up and use it as an improvised melee weapon for it to be used as a weapon focus.

That was my take on it too.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 9 2007, 01:27 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

The line is any ranged weapon or item deemed absurd by the GM. The last bit is one of the perks of a roleplaying game with a live person as the referee and rules interpretor.

+Quote Post
venenum
post Sep 9 2007, 04:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,033

In for laughs only game, i once had my troll adept, enchant the dwarf decker as a weapon focus, didn't work out to well, he was always running a way.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 9 2007, 08:11 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

QUOTE (FAQ)

If your weapon focus requires fuel or power (monofilament chainsaw, vibroblade, laser crescent axe) does it work when you're astrally projecting?

Yes, but since the technological aspect of the weapon (moving parts, monofilament, laser blade, etc.) doesn't apply in the astral, the weapon should be treated as its nearest basic equivalent (a chainsaw would simply be a club, a laser crescent axe would just be an axe, and so on).

That is from the FAQ. It's not directly relevant to your question, but I think if it nonchalantly assumes that monofilament chainsaws and laser crescent axes are viable weapon foci, a monofilament whip should be okay.

Ranged weapons are still a no-no, though.

+Quote Post
Irian
post Sep 9 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,709

Personally I would say that a monofilament whip is ok, but it just does the damage of a normal whip against ghosts. So a monofilament whip as a weapon focus doesn't do 8P against ghosts, perhaps (STR/2)+1P or something like that :-) But as this isn't stated in RAW, it's of course a house rule.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 9 2007, 08:39 PM
Post #8

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...my new baseball player adept, Moonlight Graham, has a Louisville Slugger as her WF.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 9 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

If you're going to start ignoring the physical stats of a weapon focus used in astral combat for whatever reason, you may as well just house rule that you ignore them for all weapons and just use a single stat. There's no real justification for ignoring/adjusting the stats of a monofilament whip while not doing the same thing for a sword or baseball bat.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Sep 9 2007, 09:27 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

I think the confusion is coming from a monofilament chainsaw being turned into a club in astral combat. It's done that way because of the chainsaw needing fuel, not because monofilament needs power. So, no need to nerf mono-whip in the astral. No power needed.

Though I would say the chainsaw seems more like an axe than a club to me, what with the bladed parts, but that's just me.

Chris

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Sep 9 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 9,300

QUOTE (Prime Mover)
Only weapon foci examples been able to find are in Street Magic under formula section which lists wooden staff and vibroknife (not sure but I don't recall ever seeing vibro weapons stated in SR, do remember them being in BT).

So have player asking if could make mono whip foci? Were do you draw the line?

EDIT: Actually went back and looked, vibroblades were in cannon comp.

You know, I was just about to make this same thread! I realized our adept is bound to get the best weapon there is if he wants a weapon focus, and since he doesen't have any real melee skill in the first place, he might as well buy a Monowhip weapon focus and default to his incredible agility.

Ouch... 8P in combat vs astral creatures? That's tough - you'd need a force 8 spirit with natural weapon to match that.

But I'm not going to make a house rule until I know this is broken.

I guess you'd had to add the cost of the base item and make availability checks for each?

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 10 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #12

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Well, sorta. That's the logical way to do it. But given the immense difficulty or cost (it's either super hard or costs way more) in actually enchanting the weapon focus monowhip, he'd probably need it custom-made. It's definitely not something anyone would make regularly, owing to cost, time, and trouble.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 10 2007, 02:08 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Mundane telesma give -4 to the dice pool when enchanting, so the final product would likely be more expensive to reflect the added difficulty. Still far from impossible, though, and some traditions, such as hermetics and chaos mages, enchant mundane telesma all of the time. A monofilament weapon focus won't be that unusual.

@FriendoftheDork:
If your adept is contemplating melee combat with spirits using a weapon he is defaulting on, then don't worry about the possibility of him doing 8P damage - worry about keeping his character alive.

The monofilament whip itself is very unforgiving of glitches and (even worse) critical glitches. Hope this guy has lots of Edge.

Spirits tend to have bonuses to Agility and Reaction, in addition to dodge and melee skills equal to their Force. Hitting one at all is far from easy once you get to Force: 3 or better. And some of them have energy aura, so successfully hitting them means that you resist damage.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 10 2007, 02:20 AM
Post #14

Deus Absconditus

Member No.: 5,566

Don't forget that the object resistance of the monowhip (about as highly processed as can be, given that the attacking surface has to be made with nanotech) is added to the base 16 successes required for enchanting. It's not just that you're losing dice, it's that it takes a lot longer, too. It's even harsher if you're playing with the "rolls made must be equal to or under the dice pool of the tester" rule.

Enchanting a mundane sword is one thing. Enchanting a nanotech-created weapon is another thing entirely.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 10 2007, 02:42 AM
Post #15

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

But if you are getting one at chargen, you are not enchanting one per se. You are simply getting one and the rules are the same whether you are getting a monowhip focus or a katana focus.

Anyway, the problem is not monofilament whip at low skill levels.. but monofilament whip focus at high dice pools. Even at skill 1, a softcap Agility adept with counterstrike, combat sense and a weapon focus can throw a lot of dice. A mystic adept is even better with almost no chance of glitching.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Sep 10 2007, 03:14 AM
Post #16

Running Target

To Adarael, and toturi:

I know that it would be more difficult to create, but he's not creating he's buying. And by RAW there is no price difference between a force 1 monowhip and a force 1 dagger.

However to reflect the time and cost to make one I will make it more expensive to purchase. Since there is a penalty of -1 per force on the enchanting check, and price is based off force, I'd say a monowhip (-4) would cost as much as a weapon of 4 higher force. Thus a force 2 monowhip (availability 10, increased to 12 for monowhip) would cost 60k nuyen (20k+40k). Since that's a heavy investment it would probably be wiser to buy a spear, knife, sword or similar crafted item despite the lack of strength.

An aspected enchantment would probably be sold for cheaper on the "shelves" (-20k, minimum 10k), although a monowhip that only works at night or when singing psalms just may not be the thing.

To Glyph: He's only going to use it against astral enemies (at least until he gets a decent skill), against physical ones (including materialized high-force spirits) he'll blast them away with APDS. Astral spirits don't have energy auro or similar attacks, they just have their astral combat skill and possibly natural weapons.

As it is, if he takes astral perception he will only be able to do charisma/2 damage to them, and his dice pool will not be greater either (9 or so without edge). With that many dice he'd be unlikely to glitch often anyway, since he already has max agility.

In astral form even an air elemental only has 6 dice to defend with, since it uses logic instead of agility in astral space, thus even by defaulting Uzz can outdo it in melee combat. Not to mention the damage, a force 3 air elemental has what.... 2 base damage?
(charisma/2)

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 10 2007, 05:20 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

You're missing a few rules. Astral spirits use Force for all Attributes in astral combat (pg. 177). Yes, that would still give it only 6 dice to defend with, but with 3 IP in astral space, it might use full defense as an interrupt action when attacked.

However, astral combat uses Willpower as the linked Attribute, and there is NO defaulting for that skill. So there will be no "defaulting to his incredible agility" if he plans to use a weapon focus solely for astral attacks. Plus, with the way you have gimped it and tripled the price, he might as well give up on the whole idea.

Which he should, anyways. If he has the means to deal with materialized spirits, then leave the astral baddies to the mage. Otherwise, he will be taking the proverbial knife to a gun fight against any projecting mage, or spirit of man with the innate spell power. A +2 reach means nothing against a mana bolt.

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Sep 10 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (Glyph)
You're missing a few rules. Astral spirits use Force for all Attributes in astral combat (pg. 177). Yes, that would still give it only 6 dice to defend with, but with 3 IP in astral space, it might use full defense as an interrupt action when attacked.

However, astral combat uses Willpower as the linked Attribute, and there is NO defaulting for that skill. So there will be no "defaulting to his incredible agility" if he plans to use a weapon focus solely for astral attacks. Plus, with the way you have gimped it and tripled the price, he might as well give up on the whole idea.

Which he should, anyways. If he has the means to deal with materialized spirits, then leave the astral baddies to the mage. Otherwise, he will be taking the proverbial knife to a gun fight against any projecting mage, or spirit of man with the innate spell power. A +2 reach means nothing against a mana bolt.

If the spirit goes on full defense that means it can't do anything else (except move away wich means the adept can Intercept). And he's got 3 initative passes as well and better initative score in the first place.

Hmm, after rereading the section it seems I missed the part where astrally percieving chars use WP+astral combat against astral entities. In that case the whole idea of getting a weapon focus is a bad one for that character.

The mage is SUPPOSED to handle astral stuff, but he has no astral combat skill either... and I didn't know you can't default to it... that means unless you have the skill you are helpless in astral space! So far I've allowed the dodge skill to be used in defense, otherwise that PC would be dead after meeting 2 force 4 spirits while scouting....

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 10 2007, 07:01 AM
Post #19

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (FriendoftheDork)
The mage is SUPPOSED to handle astral stuff, but he has no astral combat skill either... and I didn't know you can't default to it... that means unless you have the skill you are helpless in astral space! So far I've allowed the dodge skill to be used in defense, otherwise that PC would be dead after meeting 2 force 4 spirits while scouting....

Dodge is fine for defense. But the mage shouldn't be helpless in the Astral if he has offensive (mana) spells.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Sep 10 2007, 07:02 AM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

I was under the impression that spirits stats were the same whether manifesting or not. I thought it was just mages that went with mental stats when projecting. You know, since they left their physical bodies behind, whereas spirits ARE their natural bodies and don't normally go physical.

Chris

+Quote Post
FriendoftheDork
post Sep 10 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (DTFarstar)
I was under the impression that spirits stats were the same whether manifesting or not. I thought it was just mages that went with mental stats when projecting. You know, since they left their physical bodies behind, whereas spirits ARE their natural bodies and don't normally go physical.

Chris

Well first of all the rules doesen't say that, and if you're right why do spirits still have an astral combat skill (which the rules say is always used with willpower)?

Besides spirits have different initative and passes in astral and physical form, in the former it has force*2, and in the latter it has force*2 +x (where x is the reaction attribute bonus/penalty.)

Thus it seems it uses physical attributes when physical and mental attributes when m... astral.

QUOTE (Fortune)
Dodge is fine for defense. But the mage shouldn't be helpless in the Astral if he has offensive (mana) spells.

Yeah the Manabolt is good, but the mage can still get pummeled to death especially when the spirit has natural weapon and a friend using Confusion on him.

I'll tell you the specifics of what happened in my AAR soon.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.