IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shooting People in the Face(tm) for money; Why?, What's your motivation?
Why does your character run the shadows?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 92
Guests cannot vote 
bibliophile20
post Sep 10 2007, 12:49 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

Let's face it; being a shadowrunner is a dismal, dark and overall morbid existence, and yet runners continue going on, even after they have the resources (i.e. the nuyen) to escape and retire. As was pointed out in the Shadowrunners in Luxury thread by Maxhunter:
The problem in some games would be that if the runners got their hands into so much nuyen the entire team would be forced to retire and stop playing. Acting IC is an important concern, why would anyone shoot people in the face for money if money wasn't a problem? Of course, there are "solutions" like the personal vendetta angle, etc, but most of times this would not work for a whole team of runners. Besides, once the monetary incentive to keep shooting people in the face is removed, the game simply isn't the same game anymore...

Which is a good point; of my personal PCs, one is in it for the personal vendetta, one is an anti-corper, and one just loves blowing stuff up. None of them are in it for the money (although it certainly helps). But I have to wonder if that's typical or not.

So, why does your current/primary character run the shadows, instead of belonging to the Olympic pistol team, or making oricalcum 24/7/365, or making NeoNET's computers a bad place for hackers to be?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 10 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Closest entry was "being hunted by someone." With that "someone" being the Devil herself. Or at least he's convinced of that fact.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Sep 10 2007, 12:54 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

Bulldog just happens to be good at the surival gig. "Survival" also seems to pay decent if it's for the right people. Of course, he's quite a bit of the "can't function amongst normal people" as well.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 10 2007, 12:55 AM
Post #4

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

I voted other. It depends on the character.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 10 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #5

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Too psycho works for me. :D

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Sep 10 2007, 01:22 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

I voted "too psycho" because I had my favourite character in mind.

In the groups I Gm ing the poll comes out like this:

-three [3] in are for the nuyen [ork ex Sioux military, a human mage and another orc who used to work for Yamatetsu and got laid off]
-one [1] is hunted [dwarf: former ares sec who knows too much]
-two [2] are too fucked up to do anything else [a fundamentalist muslim ork and latin native american terrorist ]
-two [2] are into shadowrunning because they are too good at it to be working at a bank. [an elf who is a former tir ghost and an adept who grew up in Serbia and "worked" in the military since he was 12]

I am interested in the results of the poll too, of course.

Max

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 10 2007, 01:44 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I voted "other" because, while my characters have had various motivations to run the shadows, they have usually had at least several of the above reasons to do so. And many of them aren't even sure, or may say one reason while they're doing it for another (for example - saying they are doing it because they hate Corp X and/or want to make the world a better place, when the real reason is that are adrenaline junkies who are too psychotic to function in "normal" society).

Also keep in mind that even a completely mercenary character who makes enough money to, conceivably, retire, might not be able to. It might be because they don't have the connections to set it up yet, have enemies still hunting them down, or lack the maturity or good judgement to handle a sudden windfall (remember how many multi-million dollar lotto winners are broke again several years later).

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 10 2007, 02:05 AM
Post #8

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Is "stood in the wrong line at the unemployment office' an acceptable answer?

That said, I GM more than I play, so I guess I'd have to look for the sado-masochist answer...

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Sep 10 2007, 02:17 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 12,442

My new character, an Ork face, is currently running because the bar he used to own got destroyed in an urban brawl and he is trying to get the fun back to rebuild his bar, probably after he drops in some new 'ware and gets a bunch of new toys.

+Quote Post
Thomas
post Sep 10 2007, 02:18 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,070

QUOTE (nezumi)

That said, I GM more than I play, so I guess I'd have to look for the sado-masochist answer...

For one of my characters, I’ll take ‘victim-of-circumstance’ also…

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Sep 10 2007, 02:25 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (nezumi)

Mind elaborating a bit? Sounds interesting.

+Quote Post
CyberKender
post Sep 10 2007, 03:57 AM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 11,895

What? No "All of the above" answer?

I have had a character for just about every option up there. I've got characters who have other motivations. I've even got runners who do it out of altruism. (Yes, I know. I'm a freak. :) Inability to live the corporate lifestyle. For the sheer adrenaline rush. I've even had some to essentially went back. (A set of runners who went and formed their own security corporation.)

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Sep 10 2007, 05:40 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

My current character has something of a vendetta against the Yak's so that's his motivation, previous char was a member of the Seripham trying to reconstitute CatCo.

I voted Revenge/Vendetta though since that's the most current.

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Sep 10 2007, 06:37 AM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

Attempting to regain his former power and prestige as well as find and destroy the career of whoever erased his life from Manadyne.

Used to work as a researcher for Manadyne and lectured on channeling magic and spirits through human anatomy at MIT&T. Led a student/faculty initiation/ritual group of which he was the head through a ritual to power his ascent into space(old SR space kills you/makes you crazy. Mostly kills you, he's the only human in my GMs world that has survived{GM said this not me}) and when he came to his aura was altered slightly and his body was altered a lot. He had evidently clawed his own eyes out. He tried to contact Manadyne and MIT&T and found he had quit/been transferred. His SIN no longer responded to his biometrics and he had nowhere to go. He fell back on some of the friendships he had formed with the research group and proved he was who he said he was. They fenced a couple of his Foci and got cloned eyes put in. He found after that that whenever he was astrally active or cast spells he leaked a bio-corrosive acid from the back of his eye sockets. So he not only lost his eyesight again, but he got to feels them slowly burn out from the inside. He's not so stable anymore and he's focused on regaining his former level of initiation and magic and spell list and finding out who the hell engineered his disappearance and taking them down. He's managed to hook up with a gang called the Remnants and is currently working on fixing a baby "War Spirit" in a usable homunculus(GM made- normally War Spirits are visibile possession based spirits that live on the material plane and are literally the most powerful things there are. This is a tiny one no one but us knows about yet. The largest one in existence controls Iraq/Iran and stood off Lofwyr and the combined might of all the troops SK and Ares could safely lose.). War Spirits normally burn through a homunculus in Body days. He's also managed to befriend it and set himself up to possibly gain control of the Remnants a MAJOR drug supplier to the city.

So, regaining power and glory, and revenge.

Chris

EDIT: Also with a healthy dash of too psycho and thrill junkie.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 10 2007, 12:23 PM
Post #15

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 9 2007, 10:05 PM)

Mind elaborating a bit? Sounds interesting.

The only PC I have currently running is Brock Socket, rocker for hire. He got into the music scene because of his electronics background, but the lead singer ODed when he caught Brock with the singer's girlfriend, so the band basically went into a tailspin. While he's working to find a new band, he's fallen in with any group of miscreants who needs help with electronics and fast talking, as long as they:
- Have 'good' taste in music
- Don't mind him overindulging in everything
- Don't require he be cognizant during the day
- Don't mind doing work with Brock Socket, rocker for hire.

Since the GM didn't say 'this character is completely unprofessional, go back and try again', that means the party is stuck with him.

I'm just waiting for him to finish up his first big run so he can write a song including all the details and try to get it published :P

(Yes, as a roleplayer, I tend to fall into the 'loony' category)

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 10 2007, 02:06 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

QUOTE (bibliophile20)
Let's face it; being a shadowrunner is a dismal, dark and overall morbid existence, and yet runners continue going on, even after they have the resources (i.e. the nuyen) to escape and retire. As was pointed out in the Shadowrunners in Luxury thread by Maxhunter:
The problem in some games would be that if the runners got their hands into so much nuyen the entire team would be forced to retire and stop playing. Acting IC is an important concern, why would anyone shoot people in the face for money if money wasn't a problem? Of course, there are "solutions" like the personal vendetta angle, etc, but most of times this would not work for a whole team of runners. Besides, once the monetary incentive to keep shooting people in the face is removed, the game simply isn't the same game anymore...

Which is a good point; of my personal PCs, one is in it for the personal vendetta, one is an anti-corper, and one just loves blowing stuff up. None of them are in it for the money (although it certainly helps). But I have to wonder if that's typical or not.

So, why does your current/primary character run the shadows, instead of belonging to the Olympic pistol team, or making oricalcum 24/7/365, or making NeoNET's computers a bad place for hackers to be?

I think to truly answer you have to analyze the initial question. "Running the Shadows" is a pretty broad term. I think in my case I never considered it a job (SR3) or it stopped becoming a job and is just a way of life (SR4). We never considered money as some kind of scorecard. It's always just been a means to an end.

In SR3 my character didn't give a frag about money. It was all about making Universal Omnitech pay. I don't actually remember getting money all that often aside from stealing resources at hand while doing structure hits. Of course turns out he was just a seriously malfunctioning weapon ala the Bourne series. We called that campaign the Berserk Antipathy Tour 2065-2066.

Now in SR4 initially we did jobs to pay the rent. I started with a low lifestyle. I lived in the back of a car we stole. Now I'm up to luxury, but we each have our own personal agendas at this point. Hell my character is worth millions but he's constantly broke. I never have liquid assets because I constantly utilize it to further my goals.

You know there's more to life than money. Power's a big one, then there's revenge, fame, and just wanting to make the world a better place or take it over ;).

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Sep 10 2007, 02:14 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

I like loonies. Two many of them and... well...

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Sep 10 2007, 02:28 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

I have had characters run for all those reasons.
Am going to sight Gibson for my main thought on this though and paraphase, "scrapper got scrap, deckers gotta deck etc"
The intrinsic nature of those that do the things necessary in the shadows has to keep them going. Even if its just a mask, that mask if worn long enough can change the person.

+Quote Post
DireRadiant
post Sep 10 2007, 02:30 PM
Post #19

The Dragon Never Sleeps

Group: Admin
Member No.: 7,667

What happened to "Because I want to shoot people in the face, might as well get paid"?

+Quote Post
Penta
post Sep 10 2007, 02:50 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Character I made for a campaign elsewhere on the board was laid off (with good references!) due to corporate intrigue a few levels above his paygrade; It was only while outprocessing that an equally-surprised company lawyer pointed out he'd been hired under a contract that had been used only for a really short time...Because it had an unusually broadly-written noncompete clause.

Fortunately, it just said he couldn't work for someone *else's* organization...It never said anything about being self-employed.:)

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 10 2007, 03:26 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Each member of current team has different motivations. Oldest team member who's been around since SR1 is jut trying to pay the bills on lifestyle and leonization (sp) treatments ( a nearly 40 yr old troll after all).

Other members of the team work for various reasons from being wanted men, being antisocial crazies, trying to just get off the streets even a hacker who just is out to prove he's the best at what he does.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 10 2007, 03:27 PM
Post #22

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (DireRadiant)
What happened to "Because I want to shoot people in the face, might as well get paid"?

I can relate to that, but I think it might just fall under the 'Loony' category. ;)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 10 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #23

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...almost chose #5. KK likes big booms too...

However like eidolon said, it really depends on the character.

for KK it's ridding the world of those sassin' frassin' Tir Elves that slithered away when the wall came crashing down.

For Hannah, it's getting back at those who ruined her life.

For Violet it is doing in old Uncle Olaf (her nickname for MetaTech which was taken over NeoNet), and any other corps which use kids for their own advantage.

For Da Brat, it's survival plain & simple.

+Quote Post
Ted Stewart
post Sep 11 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 10,958

My current character is a sprawl punk pretending to be white collar because he wants out of the sprawl.

Then he got a white-collar girlfriend, and getting out of the sprawl wasn't good enough. Knowing my GM, his GF will be pregnant shortly.

Now he's trying to scrape up enough nuyen to retire into the middle class while trying to keep his girlfriend completely ignorant of where he's from and what he's doing. It adds a lot of pressure to keep nuyen in the bank and not blow it all on cybertoys.

The second he hits a half mil nuyen, he's buying a new rating 6 fake SIN and is moving into suburbia to raise a family. Unless my GM screws me, which he likely will.

+Quote Post
Kyleigh Wester
post Sep 12 2007, 01:10 AM
Post #25

Target

Member No.: 12,356

My character's reasoning for running the shadows is a bit different. He's always had dreams of action, adventure, pushing the limit, and being some sort of hero. Thinking Lonestar would offer that he tried to join them, but failed and was not found to be police material. After deciding they were corrupt anyway he started doing small time P.I work around Knoxville, then small time runs, and eventually he got pulled into the world of the shadows seeking his movie-esk hero moment of fame...despite breaking like every law and stealing stuff and fighting people.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.