Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Your mother slept with a bloated iguana, Dragonkin in SR4
Zhan Shi
post Sep 11 2007, 04:38 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,615

Some 10,000 years ago, an ancestor of yours did the nasty with a dragon. During 2061, SURGE brought your long dormant genes to the surface. Lucky you.

Suggested Positive Qualities: Astral Sight or Latent Awakening (pick one), Exceptional Attribute (Willpower), Aptitude (Perception)

Suggested SURGE effects: Altered Eye Color, Pointed Ears, Scales, Night Vision, Vestigial Tail, Fangs, Horns (all from YOtC, though you'll have to convert the points to BP somehow)

Dragonkin are disliked by dragons, as they are reminders of unpleasant events. Characters would suffer a "Prejudiced" (-2) modifier on all Social skill roles involving dragons, except perhaps a more progressive one (Hestaby?)

I did this based on LRG's "Dragons" book. RedBrick may have a different take on them.

EDIT: a character would not have to take all SURGE effects. In LRG's Dragons, dragonkin had a varied appearence, from one individual to the next. All would have at least one effect, and possibly more. Should have typed "Pick at least one: ...."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 11 2007, 05:06 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

Finally a damn thread I can relate to.
10,000 years ago? Heh it hasn't been that long. ;)

It seems to me like you've just described the Drake right down to the YOTC mana surge. Check out Threats 2.

I love Drakes, I played a technological variant in SR3.

I'd drop the pointed ears.

I don't see why dragons would dislike them, I'd think those events where very pleasant. I mean if they've got some dragon DNA in there they can't be all that bad. Better than a normal metahuman anyway.

+Quote Post
WearzManySkins
post Sep 11 2007, 05:18 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,440

How do you implement such, using the 35 points of positive qualities and 35 negative qualities?

Or would this be a separate thing/item to be tracked?

Have you looked at the Links to all the Conversions in this Forum, Where's the SURGE?, so what happened to changlings in 2070?
Link here:http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=11490&st=0&#entry350777
There are conversions to BP system there.

Using the current Quality system
Exceptional Attribute (Willpower) 20 bp
Aptitude (Perception) 10 bp
Astral Sight 5 bp
Latent Awakening 5 bp

Exceptional Attribute (Willpower) is better done using from Augmentation "Genetic Optimization Willpower" which costs 40,000 nyen and costs essence of 0.2. The 20 Bp cost of Exceptional Attribute (Willpower) is equal to 100,000 nyen of money. So by using Genetic Optimization Willpower you saving 12 Bp's or 60,000 nyen.

WMS

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 11 2007, 05:25 AM
Post #4

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (WearzManySkins)
How do you implement such, using the 35 points of positive qualities and 35 negative qualities?

You wouldn't. You would make it a Racial cost, just like any other, well you know ... race.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 11 2007, 05:29 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 11 2007, 05:25 AM)
QUOTE (WearzManySkins @ Sep 11 2007, 03:18 PM)

You wouldn't. You would make it a Racial cost, just like any other, well you know ... race.

Good call. That's exactly the way our group did it if I remember correctly. This was three years ago after all.

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Sep 11 2007, 05:44 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

To make a very long story short, drakes and dragonkin are different.

page 109, Dragons:

"Dragon-kin all have at least one physical deformity or trait tied to their dragon blood, sometimes more than one. Common traits include....pointed ears...."

Of course, it also says the dragon genes will be diluted without careful breeding. But I fudged the rules because it seemed like fun. Imagine a runner with familial ties to Lofwyr.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 11 2007, 05:56 AM
Post #7

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Imagine a runner with familial ties to Lofwyr.

The question really is, do you want this in your games? I can tell you right now that I don't think very many GMs would.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 11 2007, 06:02 AM
Post #8

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Aren't dragonkin pretty much eaten on sight?

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Sep 11 2007, 06:34 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

The feeling I got from ED is "Regarded with disgust by dragons? Yes. Actively hunted by dragons? No."

You're probably right.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 11 2007, 06:59 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 948

I might not want too see it in MY games but i would like to hear the description when the teams mage runs up to Lofwyr and wrapping his arms around a foreclaw screaming "DADDY!!!"

Just the description of Lofwyrs reaction to the word would be fun.

...and then the mage would die, horribly and crunchily with some ketchup.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 11 2007, 07:05 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Zhan Shi @ Sep 11 2007, 05:44 AM)
To make a very long story short, drakes and dragonkin are different.

page 109, Dragons:

"Dragon-kin all have at least one physical deformity or trait tied to their dragon blood, sometimes more than one.  Common traits include....pointed ears...."

Of course, it also says the dragon genes will be diluted without careful breeding.  But I fudged the rules because it seemed like fun.  Imagine a runner with familial ties to Lofwyr.

You're technically correct. I can't draw a concrete line from ED dragonkin to SR Bred Drakes (They never say anything they always imply. Especially since they're two different games and companies.) They can be logically connected though.

I hate short stories. This is from memory and Ancients files. Such a handy reference when I don't have my library at hand.

Alamais, great dragon, has an elven daughter Caynreth. Caynreth's descendants formed the Elven Court. There's your pointed ears and there's your dragon-kin and sporadic draconic traits. Horray fragging ED.

Since Caynreth turned on Alamais one would think the other dragons would have a thing against those particular dragonkin in general. Oh and sorry no link to any dragon but Alamais as I don't believe that particular failed experiment was recreated.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 11 2007, 12:05 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Well, there might be at least one human dragonkin in the Sixth World: Akira Kageyama.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 11 2007, 01:44 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 11 2007, 12:05 PM)
Well, there might be at least one human dragonkin in the Sixth World: Akira Kageyama.

Not surprising really.
Uh everyone in the Fifth world was human, (except IEs don't get me started). So naturally those draconic genes would have drifted from the suppressed elf/dragonkin genome to the human one. Everyone did look normal at the time. Then the sixth age rolls around and you have certain humans suddenly expressing those traits.

Btw what's with the bloated iguana thing? Is that a crack at dragons? :S

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Sep 11 2007, 05:07 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

I based the title on something I read in Portfolio of a Dragon. On the Candidate's Page, James Booth says "James Booth did'nt waste all these years in public office to get blitzed by some over-grown chameleon! James Booth demands a recount!"

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 11 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Aw, I thought you based it on the chimera.

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Sep 11 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Well, there was also that write up on Madagascar in Cyberpirates; the "chupacabra", I believe they were called. A species of Awakened iguana. One poster...Tomtom, I think...thought they were baby dragons.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 11 2007, 06:16 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

0o. Not as such, no, not quite, not at all really.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 11 2007, 08:47 PM
Post #18

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

Smokin' Jo needs to weigh in about now.

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Sep 11 2007, 09:04 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,360

QUOTE (Zhan Shi @ Sep 10 2007, 11:38 PM)
<snip>

Dragonkin are disliked by dragons, as they are reminders of unpleasant events. 

<snip>

What are you saying? My ancestor wasn't good enough for the dragon? It was that bad? She was a very nice woman, thank you very much.

Unpleasant events, indeed.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 12 2007, 01:41 AM
Post #20

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 11 2007, 07:05 AM)

I was under the impression that DragonEyes was one as well. From Tails You Lose if I recall correctly. Although honestly I can't remember what I'm basing that off of. :D

+Quote Post
Cthulhudreams
post Sep 12 2007, 02:30 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 12,328

QUOTE (Draconis)
Btw what's with the bloated iguana thing? Is that a crack at dragons? :S

The subtitle should totally be 'for no reason' :(

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Sep 12 2007, 02:56 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

QUOTE (fistandantilus3.0)
QUOTE (Ancient History @ Sep 11 2007, 07:05 AM)

I was under the impression that DragonEyes was one as well. From Tails You Lose if I recall correctly. Although honestly I can't remember what I'm basing that off of. :D

Well, it might theoretically be the fact that the character you're referring to is Akira Kageyama. :P

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Sep 12 2007, 04:56 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

In Tails You Lose, there was another character who matched Kageyama blow for blow and speed for speed at the cyberclinic. A needle broke off instead of penetrating his skin, he is very magical and a ton of crap happens to him that should kill a normal person and he's unruffled. Alma and Night Owl refer to him as "Strange Eyes" a lot he was the number 1 guy in Seattle for the dragon Li. Heavy magic user with adept level powers as well. So there was something goes on. He had bulgy all-white eyes.

Chris

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 12 2007, 09:22 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cthulhudreams @ Sep 12 2007, 02:30 AM)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Sep 11 2007, 08:44 AM)
Btw what's with the bloated iguana thing? Is that a crack at dragons?  :S

The subtitle should totally be 'for no reason' :(

What do you want, dinner and a movie? Long walks on the beach?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th May 2024 - 03:10 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.