Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I am moving
FrankTrollman
post Sep 13 2007, 06:28 AM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Banned
Member No.: 7,665

So I did better than I expected in my entrance exam and interview for medical school in Charles University Second Faculty of Medicine in Prague - I tied with a man from Seattle for the first slot. Long story short this means that I'm moving here to the Czech Republic semi-permanently within the next two weeks.

This also means that for the forseeable future, I will not take on any more Shadowrun related projects. At heart I am a medical professional, not a science fiction author, and I have before me the opportunity for more medical training that I've been working towards for years.

Writing for Shadowrun has never been about money. Honestly, I make more in a week of being an Ambulance EMT than FanPro still owes me from my work on Street Magic. It has been a hobby, and one I do not regret undertaking. Unfortunately perhaps, when one has less free time it is hobbies which suffer the most. And I am looking at having a lot less free time. Less even than I do right now.

-Frank
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
toturi
post Sep 13 2007, 06:37 AM
Post #2

Canon Companion

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,187

The Doc Wagon guy is going to train under Schwartkopf! :D

+Quote Post
Method
post Sep 13 2007, 06:38 AM
Post #3

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Frank,

Congratulations on getting in. I'm in my second year at the University of Washington in Seattle. Always interesting to "meet" other Dumpshockers of the medical persuasion.

And about having less free time- you are right about that. Its pretty rough trying to balance everything, especially if one is married and/or has a family. I barely have time to scan these boards, much less play SR or participate in any of the gajillion other hobbies I enjoy. But it can be done- sometimes you just gotta say, "To hell with studying endocrinology even though I have a midterm in two days and will be with patients all day tomorrow!! I'm going to check out Dumpshock..."

At least that’s what I'm doing... :cyber:

+Quote Post
Matsu Kurisu
post Sep 13 2007, 06:55 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 9,334

Hi Frank

Thanks for your contributions!! I always find value in your posts.
Best of luck with the studies!!!

Chris
Matsu Kurisu

+Quote Post
Nychuus
post Sep 13 2007, 07:03 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 13,191

Holy trifle Batman! :eek:

Go for it Frank! If doing the doctor is what calls to you, go for it. I'll just remember to drop you a line when my brain short circuits :D

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 13 2007, 07:27 AM
Post #6

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Welcome to Europe! :)

+Quote Post
NightmareX
post Sep 13 2007, 07:35 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,687

Ciao Frank. Thanks for the good work, and good luck with future endeavors!

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 13 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #8

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Congrats dude! I will really miss your contributions, but hopefully you won't end up being a total stranger here, :)

+Quote Post
Naysayer
post Sep 13 2007, 08:13 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,326

Yeah, big headsup!
Always sucks when the dreaded "real life" guts your free&fun time, but at least you get to replace that with something you love...

And Prague is one hell of a city!

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 13 2007, 09:11 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

Uh good job, I didn't doubt at all that you wouldn't get in. Hrmm could have called me though. :P Lucky bastard I don't find out which grad school I go to till March.
I suppose I'll have to take over the campaign if you don't want to do video/voice conferencing. This is the 21st century after all. ;) I knew this would happen so I had some ideas about the logistics.

But anyway I'll see you on Monday or Tues. I think?

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Sep 13 2007, 09:46 AM
Post #11

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

Well anyone who looked at you work on Aug could tell you know medicine...

Well done sir.

Sad to here we won't see anymore contributions from you.

+Quote Post
Buster
post Sep 13 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)
So I did better than I expected in my entrance exam and interview for medical school in Charles University Second Faculty of Medicine in Prague - I tied with a man from Seattle for the first slot. Long story short this means that I'm moving here to the Czech Republic semi-permanently within the next two weeks.

This also means that for the forseeable future, I will not take on any more Shadowrun related projects. At heart I am a medical professional, not a science fiction author, and I have before me the opportunity for more medical training that I've been working towards for years.

Writing for Shadowrun has never been about money. Honestly, I make more in a week of being an Ambulance EMT than FanPro still owes me from my work on Street Magic. It has been a hobby, and one I do not regret undertaking. Unfortunately perhaps, when one has less free time it is hobbies which suffer the most. And I am looking at having a lot less free time. Less even than I do right now.

-Frank

Noooooo! We're going to miss you. Huge congrats on getting into Charles University, I'm so jealous. I've actually been thinking for some time now about finishing my PhD in artificial intelligence there. My wife is from Slovakia and if she can teach me Czech, the classes are free!

I know you're going to have tons of fun there, the city, forests, and mountains are beyond imagination. If you want to continue writing someday for D&D or WoD, Prague and the forests and mountains around the area has got to be the perfect inspiration. And you're right in the middle of Europe so you're never more than a quick train ride to all the coolest places in the world.

Charles reminds me of Hogswarts: Not only is Charles the oldest university in central Europe, but the downside is that some of the professors are very "old school" and love to treat the students like crap (at least that's what my wife tells me, she had some friends that went to Charles).

Are you going to take the classes in English or are you going to learn Czech? If I remember correctly, even without the Czech language discount, Charles is still surprisingly affordable for being one of the best (and oldest) schools in Europe.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Sep 13 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (FrankTrollman)

-Frank

Congratulations!

Now just because you are moving and not doing anymore SR projects for the time being... that in no way absolves you of the requirement to come here and darken our doorsteps. 8)

Good Luck Frank!

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 13 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Best of Luck!

+Quote Post
Buster
post Sep 13 2007, 03:08 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 11,869

Here's a few key phrases in Czech you'll need for college:

Muj pes sezral muj domaci ukol : "My dog ate my homework"
Jeste jedno pivo : "Another beer"
To je oregano, pane policajt : "That's oregano, officer"
Uz ti bylo patnact? : "15 yet?"

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 13 2007, 03:25 PM
Post #16

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Congratulations!

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Sep 13 2007, 03:28 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

Congrats on the great step forward, and I hope you can still find time to stop by the forum now and then to let us know how it's going.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Sep 13 2007, 03:35 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,093

Congratulations Frank! Just remember, the red stuff goes on the inside.

Gotta follow your true calling.

+Quote Post
Magus
post Sep 13 2007, 03:45 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,644

Good Luck Frank!! I will definitly miss your input on all things Street Magic wise. Have Fun!

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Sep 13 2007, 04:04 PM
Post #20

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

You only tied for first place? Get your act together man!

Congratulations and good luck!

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Sep 13 2007, 04:21 PM
Post #21

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

good luck and all that.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Sep 13 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Congrats & good fortune, Frank. Don't let up on getting what's owed you.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 13 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

That's good news for you, and bad news for us. Good luck!

+Quote Post
Penta
post Sep 13 2007, 07:21 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 500

Query, Frank: Will the medical degree you get over there transfer across the Atlantic for purposes of US medical licensure, or are you going to be staying in Europe forever?

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Sep 13 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

Congratulations Frank! Congrats on both your excellent test score and your invitation to such a prestigious college! I hope to see you around on the forums from time to time. And if I'm ever in the area and need a street doc because I fell out of a window onto some bullets, I'll know who to look up :P

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2024 - 12:49 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.