Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sleep Deprivation
Prime Mover
post Sep 17 2007, 01:41 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

A question that has come up few times in last few games. The team has spent days awake on a run.

Only fatigue rules I'm finding are for running, theres some info in the sleep regulator entry but its not exactly what I'm looking for.

Any hard and fast rules in 4th edition for sleep deprivation I'm missing?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 17 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,813

pretty sure this has come up before. iirc, the consensus is that there are no rules for it, but the last thread did have some kind of house rule type things =P

+Quote Post
Cweord
post Sep 17 2007, 02:39 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 13,170

I would say something like a willpower roll for every 12 hours after 24, failure resulting in 1 point of stun.

Also a will power roll at any time of rest against falling asleep (with a threshold of the no of days awake)

+Quote Post
MK Ultra
post Sep 17 2007, 02:43 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 10,324

You could also have them hallucinate as per the Endure-Gen-Infusion rules in Augmentation.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 17 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Target 3 (8 hours) after first 24 3S DV . Also disorientation up to 48 hours of non sleep and hallucination beyond that. Target increased by 3 for each increment of 8 hours beyond that.

Example: Cytrons been up for 48 hours of hard fighting,guard duty and a wild car chase. He Rolls his Willpower every 8 hours after the first 24 for targets of 3S after 32 hours,6S at 40 and 9S at 48. Would also suffer -2 dice to all pools due to disorientation.

Might want to adjust threshold numbers? or stun DV?

+Quote Post
DTFarstar
post Sep 17 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 9,421

I would go with Willpower x2 VS 2S cumulative every 8 hours.

So, Willx2 to soak 2S at 32, Willx2 to soak 4S at 40, Willx2 to soak 6S at 48.

I've stayed up over 48 hours several times in my life.... that seems about right.

Chris

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 17 2007, 04:44 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Instead of doubling will stat could make it attribute test, Bod + Will.

+Quote Post
Naysayer
post Sep 17 2007, 04:49 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,326

But that would mean orks and trolls need less sleep on average...

+Quote Post
Cweord
post Sep 17 2007, 04:54 PM
Post #9

Target

My record is 3 days working straight (though not as physical as a run, I work as a tech in the theater and it was close we had 3 different shows, with the theater in a different format in 3 days).

My mind had defiantly dulled, and I had trouble staying awake in slow moments, but was still fully functional. My guess was I was on a -2 mod by then (though I did manage to dance down the corridor towards the end of the final day (after 2 pro plus taken with a can of red bull))

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 17 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

A Double willpower would mean certain mages would get the benifit then. It's tough call.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 17 2007, 05:06 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

I've done an on call weekend, 72 plus hours awake, no caffine in the last 24 hours, sluggish, silly, things tasted funny and passed out while sitting and talking to someone at around 74 hours.

+Quote Post
Naysayer
post Sep 17 2007, 05:10 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,326

Yeah, but magicians are able to wrestle sentinent chunks of mana from the netherworlds and make them do their bidding, that should IMHO qualify them to wrestle some additional hours of alertness out their puny meat body.
Mind over matter.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Sep 17 2007, 06:46 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I guess there shouldn't be any kind of test involved, because it'd mean that a maxed-out character could find a way to keep awake far too long without any side effect.

I'd say one box of stun damage each x hours after y hours awake or something like that. But then it'd depend on what the character did during the day.
All in all I think it's easier if the GM just says "you've got x box of stun damage because of sleep deprivation." (or you've got a -x modifier because of sleep deprivation"

But modifiers aren't anything. Characters should also start to overreact, have shorter attention span, and so on.
I had a lot of fun (and my players too) playing with sleep deprivation in one of my games. Once the PC ended up attacking a Lone Star patrol car that was just doing some random tailing at night.
Another time the players as well as the PC were suffering from sleep deprivation. The PC were doing some surveillance work until a Lone Star patrol came by and asked them to leave (they looked like a bunch of squatters in a public park). They suddenly realized that what they were doing was completely pointless and went home.

+Quote Post
Cweord
post Sep 17 2007, 07:30 PM
Post #14

Target

Maxed out characters probably would be better than others. The amount of sleep people need and their stamina varies strongly from person to person, though I personally thing it should be Body + Willpower.

Body to represent their ability to keep going despite the strain, and the biological side of it.
Willpower to represent mind over matter and the psychological side of it.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Sep 17 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #15

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

If someone wants to twink out their character and make the ultimate staying awake guy, I say let them have their tiny victory.

+Quote Post
casarez
post Sep 17 2007, 08:32 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 8,151

I would suggest a negative modifier to stuff like Perception tests or any type of hacking where mistakes can be made due to being tired.

Even have communication between the team become more difficult since they might have "zoned out" and need things repeated.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Sep 17 2007, 09:13 PM
Post #17

Dragon

Member No.: 6,686

High willpower already gives an advantage if giving stun damage for staying awake; as willpower determines the length of the stun track.

+Quote Post
Cweord
post Sep 18 2007, 09:00 AM
Post #18

Target

You could say the same thing about damage, but it's still body on the damage resistance test

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Sep 18 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

It'd have to think about it in more detail, but I'd probably use similar rules to the Disease/Toxin rules for sleep deprivation, with escalating Power. That'd seem best.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Sep 18 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #20

Dragon

QUOTE (Cweord)
You could say the same thing about damage, but it's still body on the damage resistance test

Body extends the physical damage track. For things that do stun (stunbolts, black IC, etc) more commonly is willpower for soak. Only stun causing physical damage is body and not willpower.

+Quote Post
Cweord
post Sep 19 2007, 09:06 AM
Post #21

Target

The point I was trying to make, was that in the physical damage scenario, Body not only increases the damage track, but is used in damage resistance, so why would Willpower doing something similar for sleep deprivation be such a bad thing.

+Quote Post
Tarantula
post Sep 19 2007, 03:41 PM
Post #22

Dragon

QUOTE (Cweord)
The point I was trying to make, was that in the physical damage scenario, Body not only increases the damage track, but is used in damage resistance, so why would Willpower doing something similar for sleep deprivation be such a bad thing.

I never said it would be. I don't see why you felt it necessary to make your point.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 19 2007, 03:57 PM
Post #23

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Because you implied that it would be a bad thing in this post ...

QUOTE (Tarantula)
High willpower already gives an advantage if giving stun damage for staying awake; as willpower determines the length of the stun track.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.