> In the Joint, ideas to entertain jailed birds
MaxHunter
post Sep 19 2007, 05:08 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

Hi! I am just returning from a gaming session where THINGS DIDN'T GO AS PLANNED and the runners ended up in jail.

I am going to describe what happened in quite some detail because I want to have an idea of:

a) what the charges would be for the crimes they commited
b) how long they would have to spend in jail
c) and this is the most important; how to make their life in jail interesting

I already have some ideas for them three, but first things first:

what happened
[ Spoiler ]

first: the counts; I have no knowledge whatsoever of legal procedures but I believe the will be charged with reckless endangerment, resisting arrest, destruction of property, possession of illegal weapons (cyberspurs), possession of illegal programs, hacking a police drone, and the most serious; attempted murder because of the spell the mage casted at the policemen. I have decided that the truck driver's body got burnt in the fire that followed the first crash so there is no evidence of the mage shooting at him,. Also, the 2 cops from the levitating patrol car weren't hurt . I have also decided that the lawyer they have will help them convince the prosecutor to drop the attempted murder and settle for something less dramatic. We all had fun today.

So... would a sentence of a couple years be too unrealistic? I am thinking of the runners maybe getting out in half the time for good behaviour in the joint and some cooperation.

Also I would like to run a session about life in jail, it could be interesting, there is already a mob guy in there and I am sure they will have people watching them all the time. I would like to come up with one or two "cutscenes" or "minigames" inside that would have some consequences afterwards, like the runners getting a couple new contacts, maybe getting involved in something or the "Guts" quality for free. They already got "Criminal SIN" for free as well, a couple points of Notoriety (getting arrested, blatant runner behaviour), KE has ritual samples of the mage, the hacker lost his commlink and the sammy got his cyberspur surgically removed.

I accept ideas and suggestions. Looking forward for that.

Cheers,

Max
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 19 2007, 05:35 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

In order
Conspiracy
murder
fleeing the scene of a personal injury accident
Resisting arrest
Assorted traffic citations
Attempted murder 4 counts each
Assault with a deadly weapon 4 counts each
Destruction of public property (damage to the street, etc)
maliciously damages of a vehicle (1 count per each patrol car & drone damaged)
Illegal possession of concealed weapons
Possession of fake IDs
concealing evidence

I could probably go on for a while

See http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/gl-pt4-toc.htm
I think that MA is a shared guilt state, so they can all share the murder charge too. The penalty seems to be death or life without parole.

Essentially they can be imprisoned for the rest of their lives. And if they don't talk or cooperate they probably will get to spend lots of time thinking about their decision.

I'm sure they would remove/break cyberware, cripple magicians, etc before sending them to prison.

+Quote Post
Nychuus
post Sep 19 2007, 06:10 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 13,191

Straight shadowrunners, professional criminals, preferring to take jailtime over using the "get-out of jail" free card? I must be taking crazy pills again.

Furthermore, I think you should note down what the fuzz saw them do or have evidence to.

*reads what really happened*

Forget it, tell em to roll up new characters as they're going to be "strung-up-at-dawn".

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 19 2007, 06:19 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Yup, the idiot who shot the trucker is going to get them all fried. Murdering a citizen is the kind of thing that makes it hard to cover up the events. They could have been the innocent victims and instead turned themselves into crazed murders and got their pictures in the papers and outraged citizens calling for their heads.

There was a psyco street gang member here who got crashed into while running from a robbery he commited (he ran a light). When the guy he hit got out to check on them the gangbanger shot him dead. This tends to make the news in a big way, and get huge jail time.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post Sep 19 2007, 06:43 AM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

If they like their characters, have someone spring them on the way to their hearing or something.

+Quote Post
Nychuus
post Sep 19 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 13,191

QUOTE (kzt @ Sep 19 2007, 01:19 AM)
Yup, the idiot who shot the trucker is going to get them all fried.  Murdering a citizen is the kind of thing that makes it hard to cover up the events.  They could have been the innocent victims and instead turned themselves into crazed murders and got their pictures in the papers and outraged citizens calling for their heads.

Furthermore, it got really deep when they decided it would be better to leg it with full knowledge that the fuzz was coming in.

Then shooting at them.

Then running.

Then fireballing them. (Illegal use of magic by an unlicensed mage?)

Then using more mojo to get them out of the way.

Then trying to run again.

Then, when caught, spilt the beans about their way of life. Imagine telling the cops when being arrested "I'm a criminal!".

You can't wash the drek from your hands with more drek. Furthermore, no lawyer is going to touch that case with a ten-foot-pole attached to a twenty-foot-pole.

Jailtime for this can be defined as life, without possibility for parole being a very light sentence.

With that being said, you could always have someone spring them then take the next flight to Canada, or Hong Kong.

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Sep 19 2007, 06:45 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

A good lawyer could raise the question of whether the Sandstorm was really a lethal assault against the officers, or just an attempt to damage the police cruisers.

If the Mob sends a skilled lawyer, who spends major time on the case, sure, two year plea bargain is plausible, but that's the Mob investing a major resource on hirelings who fucked up due to poor impulse control. If the mage hadn't shot the truck driver, none of this woulda happened, and maybe KE investigation would have even helped them figure out who hacked the truck.
Speaking of which, if the truck-hacker still wants them dead, then they might get further attacks while in prison. But maybe the truck-hacker figures they're harmless until they get out, and won't bother.

What does the State do with imprisoned mages? Do they have a big Ward over the prison? That makes sense, but on another hand, they probably have only a few Warded prisons, and keep all the mages and other security risks in those ones. Can the mage Project from his cell to elsewhere in the prison? If so, then he can be useful to Mob, to guards, to anyone. If he can heal, then they'll want him busy in the prison hospital - healing VIPs who go in for that service, eg relatives of guards, occasionally healing inmates on a slow day.

From what I hear, California prisons have a lot of racial segregation. Black prisoners generally don't hang out with Latinos or Asians or whites, and so forth. If the same principle applies to metatypes, the ork will have a hard time keeping much contact with the others. He can maybe do some tasks as pure bruiser muscle, but I bet his reflex enhancer is inhibited if not removed, and any major task involves the guards letting him move around freely, for their reasons or a Mob bribe.
The hacker can't do jack unless the guards give him access, again for their reasons or a Mob bribe. But sure, he's got useful skills so something can be arranged. Side thought: are there special prisons for technomancers, with absolutely no computers at all, keeping their onsite records on paper and counting with abaci?

What if the framed guy, without benefit of their getting him any defense evidence, gets convicted and sent to the same prison... and the Mob assigns Our Heroes the job of keeping him alive?

What, if anything, serves the overlapping interests of the Mob and the guards? Intimidating prisoners affiliated with Yakuza or other organizations that rival the Mob? Running recreational drugs (to prisoners who can afford them)?

Prisons might be attractive to certain entities that are generally the enemy of all metahumanity; insect spirits or blood spirits, for example, might find that prisons are a great concentration of desperate souls, and although the Wards are a tough access factor, the Wards also prevent Draco Foundation from finding them. Or perhaps a Deus-style AI has taken over the trid programs used for "rehabilitation" and job skills training, and is using them for brainwashing. If ghouls or vampires come feeding, the guards want to be in control of countermeasures, but might have to deputize some of the tougher prisoners as cannon fodder.

If you need a silly session, do yet another remake of "The Longest Yard". If you need a gritty session, well, there might be Urban Brawl kinda games, or sheer pit fighting, in prison.

Corps that develop new augmentation methods may need a supply of volunteer test subjects, and prisoners are one such source. "Buggy ware" barely begins to cover the possibilities. Human biodrones, rogue nanoware, the next generation of drugs like Nitro, it gets worse from there.

You got options. Play rough. As I mentioned, if the mage hadn't shot the truck driver, none of this woulda happened... perhaps that player needs a venue for fantasies in which rash, cruel actions don't have major consequences; he isn't named Leroy Jenkins, is he?

+Quote Post
cx2
post Sep 19 2007, 07:01 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,802

You forget he said that he decided the truck driver's body got burned beyond use as evidence.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 19 2007, 07:03 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

As it stands, the characters will either be locked away for life, or will face a few years of prison time as well as being so crippled (cyberware removed, commlink confiscated, LoneStar has a ritual sample and knows your astral signature) that they might as well roll up new characters.

Normally the old standby for captured characters is the old "We can give you back your gear and let you go, if you do this dangerous, unpleasant job for us." That keeps the characters playable, without letting them off scott free. And you can run a bleak session or two of life in the joint, to show them how desperate their circumstances are.

Unfortunately, the mob doesn't seem to have quite enough pull (or, to be frank, enough reason to care) to out-and-out spring the runners, and LoneStar won't cut a deal with them if they are trying to gut it out/rely on the mob lawyer. You could always run a session or two, then fast-forward them through the rest of their sentence, but again, what's the point of playing such ruined characters, as opposed to starting over?

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 19 2007, 07:35 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

QUOTE (cx2)
You forget he said that he decided the truck driver's body got burned beyond use as evidence.

Gunshot wounds to the skull are quite recognizable on burned corpses when they are autopsied. A flechete wound would be more so, as it's a high velocity extremely small diameter exit wound. Plus you'll probably have sabot pieces embedded in the head.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 19 2007, 07:53 AM
Post #11

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

Eh, I don't agree necessarily that sociopathically shooting one burn victim in the face should equal instant death/failure.

I mean, it certainly complicated the situation in this case.

But I disagree with sentiments like

Yup, the idiot who shot the trucker is going to get them all fried. Murdering a citizen is the kind of thing that makes it hard to cover up the events. They could have been the innocent victims and instead turned themselves into crazed murders and got their pictures in the papers and outraged citizens calling for their heads.

I mean, I think that by the time your profession is an urban mercenary who does illegal breaking and entry and probably shoots security guards in the face for money at least some of the time the odd burn victim trucker here or there might complicate things a bit but on the whole should realistically be the least of your worries.

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Sep 19 2007, 08:43 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

You know, I feel the sudden urge to watch "The Dirty Dozen" again... *evil grin*

What state wants to pay for life in prison when they can simply sell the estimated costs of imprisonment as a contract to a corporation? These guys (and/or girls) obviously have a talent for mayhem and general carnage and that is worth something (think of the scene where the blond guy was being shut out by The Firm in the movie "Payback") to the right people looking for 100% disposable assets.
Black ops anyone? Maybe a cortex bomb or implant poison device for compliance?

Maybe even worse? *dry washes hands while chuckling evilly*
Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 19 2007, 08:53 AM
Post #13

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The mage could argue euthanasia, which isn't a defense for homicide, legally, but does tend to limit convictions to lesser includeds. However, if he went with this he would have to let the authorities check his spell list.

My suggestion, make them cryocons. Hook them up to UVVR, lower their metabolic rates, and psycotropically program them to knit when faced with stress. Then, decades in the future, ever worse shadowrunners are mistakeningly released and go murder-death-killing throughout the metroplex and they're the only people who can stop them.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 19 2007, 08:57 AM
Post #14

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

For a rundown of life behind iron bars in 2060+, I suggest checking State of the art: 2064.

+Quote Post
cx2
post Sep 19 2007, 09:39 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (cx2 @ Sep 19 2007, 12:01 AM)

Gunshot wounds to the skull are quite recognizable on burned corpses when they are autopsied. A flechete wound would be more so, as it's a high velocity extremely small diameter exit wound. Plus you'll probably have sabot pieces embedded in the head.

Irrelevant, if he wishes as GM to rule that it can't be used as evidence it's his call.

The amount of real life knowledge used in a game has to vary by group with this, much as it does with issues of guns and the matrix. I know you weren't trying to tell him how to run his game, but you I am simply saying that you can't insist he use this information because it is simply is his game and his group. It is for him to judge based on both what is best for his group and the story, irrespective of RL considerations.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Sep 19 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Good discussion so far everyone! I will try to make comments in an orderly fashion...

(cx2 Posted on Sep 19 2007, 04:39 AM)

QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (cx2 @ Sep 19 2007, 12:01 AM)

Irrelevant, if he wishes as GM to rule that it can't be used as evidence it's his call.

Yes, I could go both ways and I have decided to not go the hard way. The most important reason is that they rolled badly but the game has been fun for everybody so far. There is a reason of incentives that I will address later.

(grinder Posted on Sep 19 2007, 03:57 AM) 
For a rundown of life behind iron bars in 2060+, I suggest checking State of the art: 2064.

Yes. Good suggestion! I remember that book, I am going to check it out before next run.

@hyzmarca... :rotfl: :grinbig: ... and then they get to fight with the worst criminals in a museum! ... and they have problems with toilets! ... and finally they get to date Sandra Bullock!

(glyph Posted on Sep 19 2007, 02:03 AM)

what's the point of playing such ruined characters, as opposed to starting over?

Karma. and character building. The most important reason is the latter. This group of players really has problems making interesting characters and the mage and the ork are good chars, have lots of contacts, roleplaying quirks, settled personalities and a connection to the gameworld. Rolling up new chars will waste all that process.
Also I believe a professional criminal who has spent some time in jail is still a credible professional, even if not the most successful. A reputation for not playing with the boys in blue would be an asset in certain circles too. Maybe they will have to get the money to get zeroed again. But that makes good story...

(Wounded Ronin Posted on Sep 19 2007, 02:53 AM)

Eh, I don't agree necessarily that sociopathically shooting one burn victim in the face should equal instant death/failure.

I mean, it certainly complicated the situation in this case.

But I disagree with sentiments like

I mean, I think that by the time your profession is an urban mercenary who does illegal breaking and entry and probably shoots security guards in the face for money at least some of the time the odd burn victim trucker here or there might complicate things a bit but on the whole should realistically be the least of your worries.

In the above discussion I am with Wounded Ronin. There is no moral judgment in here. The runners are horrible people who shoot people in the face for money. Shooting a person in the face out of anger is not morally commendable but it certainly wasn't out of character. The player running the mage is a certainly nice guy playing a fantasy roleplaying game. I am analyzing the situation in game terms, i.e. what would be more fun for everybody involved including the players while keeping a sense of in-game coherence and at the same time providing good incentives to make a better game later on. I do not feel anything about it. I had a different plan for the run but when the runners screwed it I had the world react accordingly.
Now I do not want the players making new characters who would be so afraid of the cops they would not even try shadowrunning. I also do not want runners so paranoid that they would go to their next B&E like "let's shoot down all witnesses, burn the city block and nuke the area so there is no way they find out anything". I have a good gauge of the level of paranoia / temerity I and the players enjoy most in my games.

As the Gm I get to make up everything, that includes the level of attention the police is paying to details, the media reaction to it, etc, etc.

I really like what kzt and nychuss have added to the discussion from the hard side of the law as well. (am I too nice?)
Some events have transpired too so next is an update an a sketch of what's coming up next.

So far:
The runners got arrested. KE has ritual samples on everyone. The hacker's commlink and her programs were confiscated and are lost. (she has a backup of the programs but the commlink is gone) The ork had his cyberspurs removed and the reflex enhancers inhibited temporarily. The mage is given some psych meds and has a biomonitor/taser attached that may prevent him from casting. (the rules for this I haven't thought but the idea is that the player thinks something bad will happen if he casts a spell so he hasn't tried, the drugs also leave him with a dry paper flavor in his mouth and he is thirsty all the time) -I will probably make casting in jail heavily penalized and with consequences but not impossible, with the need to be stealthy about it or risk a lobotomy.

We had a conversation about what the players want and this is it:
The hacker character will be retired and replaced (the player running her is having
problems scheduling games), the other two want to continue playing with their characters if I can think on how.

The players want to know who was behind the hacking so we decided they will get to play the investigation of the hacking accident. I will handle them the stats of the police officer they had met before who has information on the case and his partner - a hacker- and they will play a session as KE officers. If they can arrest the culprit the runners will get a more lenient sentence. I will let them give the karma they get for RP police officers to their actual characters.

Everybody thinks that the truck driver died in the crash. They have evidence that there was another hacker involved who is being investigated. The mob has sent that lawyer -who the runners had met before- because the runners have some evidence that would complicate things for the mob and they do not want them talking to anybody else. The lawyer has told them that the mob will help them get through jail but that they will owe them a favor.

Next:
There will be a trial. In the trial there will be a prosecutor who will present the case as kzt portrayed it (thank you!) and ask for life sentence. It will not fly. Nobody will mention the dead driver. The prosecutor suspects the truth but would not be able to prove it. The lawyer will convince the jury that the sandstorm was not a lethal spell. The characters will be sent to prison and in there they will be placed conveniently near the framed guy whom they will have to protect. (thank you Riley37!) Two years settlement, maybe probation after a while if they behave well. There will be a gang messing up with them in the joint and maybe a couple of abusive guards. Then fast forward to the end of the sentence. When they get released they would have to try and get the ritual samples destroyed or lost, make some money to replace cyberspurs (they are cheap), get in contact with old contacts (they may lose a couple of the Loy 1 guys) work for the mob a couple times (maybe they make friends with the framed guy or some other criminal) I am considering replacing the lost hacker with another shadowrunner (and a new player) they could meet in jail. Another idea is that the harsh prosecutor -Mr. KZT- may have lost some political chances in his career after losing the runners' case so they could have a new enemy breathing down their necks.

This is about is today. Thank you very much for the inspiration. If you have more ideas please don't be shy. I will probably resurrect this thread in a long while so I could tell you how it played out.

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Sep 19 2007, 05:47 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

... A football game inside prison would be fun too.

Also, the ork character was into illegal boxing before getting into shadowrunning, there could be a comeback!

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post
deek
post Sep 19 2007, 06:26 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

My first thought, assuming everyone wants to keep the characters and continue the storyline, is with the land. Meaning, they were en route to a warehouse, who owns that land? If it is a corp, well, the rules could be very different. Maybe you take them through court and give them a max sentence, 50+ years a piece (make them feel like they will be in jail for a while, maybe even play a few days in jail), but then the corp that owns the land comes in and forces a release, because it was under their jurisdiction.

Now you have some runners that are forced to make a few runs for the corp (which obviously can be anything) and maybe if they successfully complete them, they are let go (to be called upon at a later date, or course).

I would really try to scare them with a life in prison, maybe they might start thinking about ways to get out, but in any case, I wouldn't spend too much time trying to think of a "realistic" sentence or all the laws they broke...as that's really not important to the story, IMO. Just send them away for a long time...and then a nice little loophole plays out that gives the group a second chance.

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Sep 19 2007, 06:29 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

@deek. That's creative.

+Quote Post
Yoan
post Sep 19 2007, 07:00 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,433

Watch a few episodes of HBO's "Oz".

8)

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Sep 21 2007, 05:04 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,615

"How to make their life in jail interesting"? Let them encounter Bubba the Love Troll. Nothing like an eight foot tall, 400 pound, horned-an-horny metahuman to make shower time interesting. If the runners are metahuman, they'll have the Free Human Brotherhood to worry about. If they're human, they'll have to keep an eye out for the Sons of Sauron. Also, there's a section in one of the SotA books about life on the inside...can't remember which one.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 21 2007, 05:54 AM
Post #22

Great Dragon

QUOTE (deek)
but then the corp that owns the land comes in and forces a release, because it was under their jurisdiction.

They own the public streets? They own Ares, as it was ares personnel they attacked? They are willing to take the public outrage of releasing a band of known murderers? Quite a special company. . .

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 21 2007, 06:00 AM
Post #23

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Buba the Love Troll works best if he is kept in the background. The meme loses its power if you attack the PCs with it head on. Just have him stand around stoically looking like a giant love-troll and leering at teh PCs occasionally. Never have an ymore interaction than that. But, occasionally have him sodomizing someone in the background.

Don't forget to require an Agility x 2 (3) roll to not drop the soap. (Agility x 2 (1) if it is on a rope.)

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Sep 21 2007, 07:37 AM
Post #24

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

QUOTE (Zhan Shi)
Also, there's a section in one of the SotA books about life on the inside...can't remember which one.

As I posted earlier, it's in SOTA: 2064 ;)

+Quote Post
cx2
post Sep 21 2007, 09:29 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (kzt)
QUOTE (deek @ Sep 19 2007, 11:26 AM)
but then the corp that owns the land comes in and forces a release, because it was under their jurisdiction.

They own the public streets? They own Ares, as it was ares personnel they attacked? They are willing to take the public outrage of releasing a band of known murderers? Quite a special company. . .

Depending on the situation they could always provide new identities. Especially if there were some internal politics and someone thought they could be useful in the future.

And who said anything about mass murderers?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 08:18 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.