Reply to this topicStart new topic
> milspec gear from Fields of Fire, sorry for this
Kronk2
post Sep 21 2007, 09:18 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,245

On FoF page 54 there is the heavy Mispec armor rated 16/12 with the helmet. What I am asking is what would the new rating be?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 21 2007, 01:50 PM
Post #2

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

I don't have access to any books at the moment, but what I'd do is look at as many things across SR3 and SR4, armor-wise, try to get a feel for how they compare, and just ballpark it from there. Also, heavy military armor is "the bestest armor", so as long as you maintain that but don't get so out of hand that it makes a character invincible, you should be okay. "Better than light security armor, worse than a tank." :)

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 21 2007, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Keep in mind that Fields of Fire is an SR2 release.

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Sep 21 2007, 02:10 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

add 2 points B/I to security armor, and you should be OK.

Don't forget the bells & whistles. If the military is going to spend this much on the armor, the bells & whistles are cheap.

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 21 2007, 02:31 PM
Post #5

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

QUOTE (Fortune)
Keep in mind that Fields of Fire is an SR2 release.

Good point. That's what I mean....yeah...

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Sep 21 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

Also, the mil-spec armor was "hardend." If I remember correctly, in SR this meant anything that couldn't outright penetrate the armor had no effect whatsoever, or something. I don't have my books handy, but I know that there was an additional rules mechanic besides extra points.

+Quote Post
Eryk the Red
post Sep 21 2007, 02:58 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,301

I would likely have milspec armor be very similar to full body armor, as it's statted in the book, but have milspec armor use the rules for hardened armor.

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Sep 21 2007, 05:52 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

if I were going to convert it, it would be 10 or 12 vehicle armor (like a patrol 1)

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 21 2007, 06:10 PM
Post #9

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...wasn't milspec armour covered in either SOTA 63 or Cannon Companion?

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 21 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,245

QUOTE (eidolon @ Sep 21 2007, 08:50 AM)
"Better than light security armor, worse than a tank." :)

Even in Fields of Fire it was said that if the characters ever ran into a Main Battle Tank they were pretty much hosed. Mentioned at least 3 automated anti-personnel turrets with high rate of fire LMG's, grenade launchers for fun, and anything else the commander decided to kit up with that day.

Thanks everyone for your answers. I think for what it is describing 12/16 hardened is about right. + all the goodies on board, although I think that the communications and telemetry gear would be included in the price of the helmet.

which gives us

[B]Heavy MilSpec Armor: 12/16 Has Hardened Armor *
Helmet comes with Low Light Vision, Flare Comp, IR Thermo vision, Smartlink, Image link, Com link, GPS up and Downlink, range finder, and vision magnification.

*Hardened Armor is even tougher than normal armor. If the modified Damage Value of an attack does not exceed
the Armor rating (modified by Armor Penetration), then it bounces harmlessly off the critter; don’t even bother to make a Damage Resistance Test. Otherwise, Hardened Armor provides both Ballistic and Impact armor equal to its rating.
[B]

+Quote Post
MaxHunter
post Sep 21 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

From: Montevideo, in the elusive shadows of Latin America
Member No.: 7,727

I think hardened is a little too much, but it's your game. Also consider the encumbrance rules for penalties to agility....

Cheers,

Max

+Quote Post
Sammiel
post Sep 21 2007, 07:34 PM
Post #12

Target

Member No.: 4,336

does hardened even exist anymore? cause with the lower damage codes in 4th edition, any kind of hardened armor makes you completely immune to anything but extremely heavy weapons.

Thats a futuristic power armor suit, not a mild jump above security armor.

+Quote Post
Malachi
post Sep 21 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 12,350

Yes Sammiel, it's actually mentioned with "critter powers" of all places. However, considering that vehicles and drones have now "stun" damage track, their armor is essentially Hardened.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Sep 21 2007, 11:17 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

QUOTE (MaxHunter)
I think hardened is a little too much, but it's your game. Also consider the encumbrance rules for penalties to agility....

Cheers,

Max

To be fair though if the PC's are going up against that then they should be packing Ares Alpha's with APDS.

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Sep 22 2007, 02:38 AM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

Well, you could just rule that the armor is only considered hardened against impact damage (including electrical; just say the suit is insulated/grounded as well as non-conductive or something). That way the wearer could be highly resistant against tasers and could shrug off flechette weapons fairly easy, as well as the occasional frag grenade (provided it didn't land in your lap, anyway). Would kind of suck for a melee characters though (not that I really care; bringing a knife to a fight against military personnel with elite equipment is kind of asking for it. :P).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.