IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun not cyberpunk anymore, We have the Cyber but arrested the Punk.
Kronk2
post Sep 22 2007, 03:57 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,245

Recently someone made a point around here that the days of style over substance have kinda disappeared anyway. I mean in many ways it is still all about the toys, but more for what the toys do that what the toys look like. I know rpgs for fashionistas is more white wolf than Shadowrun, but in this case I think it applies. Do we, the shadowrun community have an understanding of the COOL of what it is we do? Do trolls have a different cultural taste than say orks, because of who designs clothes that fit them? Does the same hold true for Dwarves?

I know that cyberpunk as a movement has died, yet in a way it succeeded in its objectives. (in as much as it had objectives) ( do we claim this as our truth?)

it seems to me that we are more, cyber merc than cyber punk. I think that much of the cool of what we do, is in the aspiration and dreams of freedom and power to do as we choose. To have the corpers asking us for things, not demanding our money. Desirous of an inversion of power we seek a future that is not our own, this is our cool.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eidolon
post Sep 22 2007, 04:34 AM
Post #2

ghostrider

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 6,333

I summon Wounded Ronin.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 22 2007, 04:51 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Please enlighten me, your reference eludes me, and my search fu is weak.

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Sep 22 2007, 05:06 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

That is an excellent question. Sure, what we do on the tabletop isn't gonna change our whole world a lot, but storytelling does have some effect on what values we reinforce or cultivate.

The group I'm in, meets at a collective bakery - after it's closed, but mmm, the day-old artisan muffins are still better than the mass-market boxed variety. The GM, who is a member of the collective, is running a story in which resistance to the JIS invasion of CalFree is a major plot, and although actually kicking them out is unlikely, slowing down or stopping the spread of their domain seems possible. Sometimes working for the corporations is a way to raise money for the Resistance, and when we get high-tech prototypes, we donate a sample to the Resistance while selling to the corps. Our first run involved crossing paths with mosquito spirits, and my character is pulling together an alliance to attack the hive, including the "Permaculture Army" eco-gang that runs a local park, an ork tribe that took refuge in dwarf tunnels when the JIS kicked them out of San Francisco, a Resistance mage and his cadre, even a ghoul gang whose territory is affected... and ya know, we might invite the local government and their contracted security force into the party, because they're as freaked out about bugs in the utility tunnels as anyone else, but really, it's a grassroots thing. Ares is definitely not invited.

As for fashion, my troll PC is well aware that a few corps are trying to define their products as troll style, and some Sauron shamans are probably claiming that wearing bearskins or whatever is our One True Way. Whatever. What matters is that no one gets a monopoly, because as long as only Evo is selling troll-sized cyberlimbs, then Evo gets to pick the case colors and set the price as high as they like, but as soon as there's alternatives, fairer deals become more available.

Although when dealing with the corps, my PC will make the first offer to Evo, because they sell to metahumans of all sizes, and most other corps don't deal with us even as customers/suckers.

It kinda depends on powergaming. For a low-power character, just surviving on one's own terms is a reasonable goal. At 400+ points, one is way more powerful than the average Joe and can afford to let ideals set priorities, take some runs for the corps and others for a good cause, etc. At 500+, or 400 plus a lot of Karma, yeah, it's time to be a hero and save the world; was stopping Deus an actual played campaign? Then again, if the players are in it ONLY for power fantasy, then even at 500 points, they're still only worrying about how to afford the next upgrade, and if that means getting paid to assasinate whistleblowers, well, those are lucrative runs.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Sep 22 2007, 05:14 AM
Post #5

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

I'll see your statement, and raise you:
"Cyberpunk isn't cyberpunk any more."

At least, not using the definition most people I know use. Of course, I personally have expanded my definition to include more stuff, since the more restricted definition includes all of 5 books and 2 essays, and is bullshit.

Also, I too summon Wounded Ronin!

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 22 2007, 05:51 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Adarael)

what is Wounded Ronin

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Sep 22 2007, 05:55 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 769

I personally adore classic cyberpunk as a genre and do anything I can to add it to my campaigns as a player or GM. My current characters street name for example is Mirra-Kage. Crudely translated Japanese for Mirror-Shade. He's a former Yakuza soldier and yes, he wears mirrorshades and a black suit. Our elf Razorgirl is named "Starshine Moonbeam Fairydust" (Star for short) and to paraphrase the player "looks like Jem with more spiky bits!"

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Sep 22 2007, 05:56 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Kronk2)
QUOTE (Adarael @ Sep 22 2007, 12:14 AM)

what is Wounded Ronin

another poster... wait for it...

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 22 2007, 06:37 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

It depends on what your personal take of "cyberpunk" is. If your definition revolves around lame concepts steeped in the paranoia of the 1980's, then yeah, Shadowrun isn't very cyberpunk. Thank God.

But as far as style over substance being dead? In Shadowrun? Are you daft? Orxploitation, for instance, is one of the coolest things added to the setting in years. You have entire nations ruled by specific metahumans and subcultures (the Tirs, the NAN, etc.). You have custom cyberware packages complete with brand names and flavor deals. And in SR4 in particular, magic has gone off the deep-end as far as customization and cultural/personal flavor goes. Gangs run the gamut from mundane gangs based upon modern real-world gangs to crazy concepts like the Halloweeners. Megacorporations are all but unique characters onto themselves, and still as pervasive and overpowering as ever before. The list just goes on and on and on and on...

If anything, I think you confuse the powergamers/munchkins who often post around here as being representative of both the game and the majority of the playerbase. If so, that's a universal problem, not one exclusive to Shadowrun or the near future/modern fantasy genre it represents.

In the end, "cyberpunk" -- regardless of which definition you want to use -- is merely one of the many genres that Shadowrun includes within its grasp. Shadowrun is essentially its own genre. And if you expect it to be any one, single subgenre -- cyberpunk, fantasy, space opera, pirates & ninjas, espionage, whatever -- you're going to be sorely disappointed. Just as you seem to be.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Sep 22 2007, 06:56 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Shadowrun has always been a multi-genre game, in that the core concept (shadowy super-ciminals doing jobs for corrupt megacorporations) can be implemented in many ways - Robin Hoods fighting the man, street punks trying to survive, over the top heroics, or stone cold professionals.

These subgenres tend to wax and wane in popularity. The two current favorites seem to be "street level" games and "professional" games. Both can be fun, but they often miss that sense of idealism and fighting authority - which is where you get the conflict of fighting the system vs. realizing that you are really part of it in the end.

+Quote Post
imperialus
post Sep 22 2007, 07:02 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

One of the more interesting sub genre's that I remember from Shadowrun was the "struggleing band" one. Desparately trying to make it big and slowly realizing that the glam life is not what it's made out to be.

+Quote Post
Draconis
post Sep 22 2007, 07:57 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,607

Astute observation Kronk2. When the patron saint of cyberpunk William Gibson isn't even writing cyberpunk anymore, yes the genre is pretty much dead. Welcome to the post-post modern age.

so....
I know for a fact i'm going to get heat for this but I think most people are missing the point. Ok follow my logic. The cyberpunk genre is a huge component of shadowrun, l mean it's so obvious one only has to look at the Wiki for "Cyberpunk" and guess what, a picture of shadowrun right there.

Shadowrun is a cyberpunk game with fantasy aspects incorporated into it, not the reverse, a fantasy game with cyberpunk aspects. Shadowrun is not it's own genre. It's a combination of genres yes, but that does not make it suddenly unique. For a nice example let's mix druids, power armor, magic, monsters, laser guns, and space ships together. New genre! Uh no, that's called Rifts and it's still sci-fi with fantastic aspects.

Also I'd have to debate that's it's how you run the game that matters, street level, professionals, whatever. I've done both power levels and everything in between. I started street with this last edition and went pro. If you're using Shadowrun and its concepts you're inherently incorporating cyberpunk. You're just playing a King instead of a pawn on that particular chess board.

So anyway cyberpunk is no longer relevant. Shadowrun is becoming less relevant?
Well maybe if you're using sci-fi as some sort of oracle to elucidate future trends but this is entertainment so let's naturally discount that.
It just shifting and incorporating memes from "What if" to "What is". I mean just because I can leave this computer right now and go purchase the separate devices that compose,in idea, a commlink (minus the sim of course) doesn't make the game any less fun to play.

I love Shadowrun and I don't think it's going to sell any less because it's literary roots have shifted ever so slightly. It's just becoming modern techno-thriller with magic rather than sci-fi with magic.

Of course on a side note I never really considered Shadowrun that accurate in near future tech or society predictions anyway. For that in my opinion I'd check out Transhuman Space. But that of course is just an educated guess. We could all be living in The Road Warrior sooner rather than later. ;)

But what do I know? I've got a science degree, not one in literature.

Oh and Adarael I'll see your statement and raise you one better. "How much does cyberpunk have to change before it's not cyberpunk anymore?"

Oh and sorry, I'm going to flat out ignore a trend around here. I'm not going to get into a juvenile debate over specifics. This is merely my opinion and food for thought and discussion. Feel free to agree or disagree. This is likely my first and last post on the thread. I'm far too busy these days to argue minutiae.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Sep 22 2007, 09:07 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 98

QUOTE (eidolon)
I summon Wounded Ronin.

Poof!

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 22 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Sorry for going off topic

QUOTE (Draconis @ Sep 22 2007, 02:57 AM)
We could all be living in The Road Warrior sooner rather than later.  ;)

I would actually like to have more of that feel in the game. I think that pretty well sums up how the Soix lands would be, but with more random assault helos.

This post has been edited by Kronk2: Sep 22 2007, 09:18 AM

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 22 2007, 09:23 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

QUOTE (Kronk2)
QUOTE (Draconis @ Sep 22 2007, 02:57 AM)
We could all be living in The Road Warrior sooner rather than later.  ;)

I would actually like to have more of that feel in the game. I think that pretty well sums up how the Soix lands would be, but with more random assault helos.

Considering Road Warrior isn't cyberpunk at all, but post-apocalyptic, are you even sure you know what it is you really want? Or after all the times I've seen it, did I somehow blink during the scenes inside a virtual reality computer network, megacorporations oppressing the street scum, and cybernetics galore?

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 22 2007, 09:31 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Honestly I don't think its any fun to play in a game strictly based on the question of sexual/ gender/ personal identity as it applies to a cybernetic being. Leave that to the anime.

the Cyborg Manifesto is not something I really want to play with. It is not user friendly and makes my head hurt trying to sort through the propaganda. This seems more apropos

But the struggle of the mystical versus the mundane ala magic versus media does work well as a plot structure for a game. These are concepts that we can actually implement into our narrative. Other struggles that work well, Tradition versus progress. Self versus perception of self. ( in SR it seems that the latter has precedence.)

This is an awesome conversation. I want it to continue.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 22 2007, 09:50 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Draconis @ Sep 22 2007, 12:57 AM)

So anyway cyberpunk is no longer relevant. Shadowrun is becoming less relevant?

How can RPGs ever be "relevant"? They are either fun enough to spend your and several other people time on or not. Whether it's SR, D&D or Bushido, none are relevant to anything and all can be fun depending on who is playing and Gming.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 22 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #18

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Ninjas. You need ninjas. Any moment now, Wounded Ronin will come along and tell us all about the awesomeness of the 80s and ninjas (and the 80s and ninjas are awesome).

I'll let WR handle the Ninjas because his rants about Sho Kosugi are extremely cool.

So I'll just say that SR needs more ROCKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Not rockers.
ROCKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

The difference, my friends, is tremendous.

I mean razor sharp weapon focus guitars (literal axes), friends. I mean huge troll drummers who are totally baddass. I mean giant hair on the heads of effeminate men. I mean glitter. Absurd amounts of glitter. And I mean Madonna's conical bra.

And guns, lots and lots of guns. Guns in guitar cases. Guns built into guitars.

And rocket launchers.

And Ballads. And POWER BALLADS!!!!!

And magical Goblin Kings who try to seduce everybody and it's weird because the straight guys kind of like it but it's okay because he's androgynous enough to count as a girl for the purposes of determining whether or not the sex is gay.

And the popular Japanese rock band Fire Bomber is also an elite military unit that flies out in high tech planes and signs at the enemies of the Japanese Imperial State, subduing them with nothing more than the Baddassery of their crappy derivative J-pop power ballads.

And Edge, it isn't called Edge any more. It's called Baddassery now.

And all elf ninjas are homosexual. All of them, without exception. You got hot lesbian ninja elves and hot gay ninja elves, and ugly gay ninja elves but there are no ugly lesbian ninja elves, they're all hot, and no straight ninja elves.

And people in the Tirs wear poofy shirts with pink waist coats. They're highly fashionable.

"Troll gang sodomizes Tir dignitary - he objects but he likes it" is the single most popular 2070 youtube download (for all the yaoi fangirls)

And everyone air guitars. All the time.

And Black Michael Jackson has been found frozen in suspended animation under Neverland valley ranch after a deadly confrontation from White Michael Jackson, who is really an absurdly powerful magical impostor of unknown classification.

And Hulkamania is still running wild. What you gonna do, brother?

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 22 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (hyzmarca)

And Balads. And POWER BALLADS!!!!![/U]

And Edge, it isn't called Edge any more. It's called Baddassery now.

"Troll gang sodomizes Tir dignitary - he objects but he likes it" is the single most popular 2070 youtube download (for all the yaoi fangirls)

And Hulkamania is [i]still
running wild. What you gonna do, brother?

Now THAT is what I am talking about. O and I am officially changing the name of that stat.

I honestly hope they update the rocker class for sr4. Because I want to be able to say that my rock star from Belfast saved Ethiopia/Darfur from zombies.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 22 2007, 10:27 AM
Post #20

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Class? What is stopping you from making a character that is a rocker right now?

+Quote Post
Lazerface
post Sep 22 2007, 10:30 AM
Post #21

Target

Member No.: 7,458

And having feathered hair or a mullet will get you automatic +1 to charisma. Having both will turn you into a sex god. And much of the southern American states have been nigh decimated as Chuck Norris and Patrick Swayze are locked in a never ending battle for supremacy. Their still continuing one on one battle roving over rock and field and desert and dojo and roadhouse and corporate office and old factory and.... well, you get the picture.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 22 2007, 10:33 AM
Post #22

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

QUOTE (Fortune @ Sep 22 2007, 04:27 AM)
Class? What is stopping you from making a character that is a rocker right now?

The only barrier there could be is a totally bogus lack of rock-i-tude!

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Sep 22 2007, 10:34 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

lack of reasonable method for tracking my bands success/fame/godhood. And better rules for handling cybered music than midi.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Sep 22 2007, 10:41 AM
Post #24

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Noto; passing out backstage before the concert, refusing to go onstage because the candy bowl has RED candies in the mix that your contract specifically stated were to be removed (extra point if either of the prior leads to full scale riot by the audience), biting the head off a live bat during a show, a gang member you hired as security for the show kills someone in the audience (extra point if they do it with their bare hands), your band's drummer dies from choking on their own vomit, etc.. Then you've got your Street as per usual, with bonus Karma rewards for totally rocking out, and you are set. Your music career is your Reputation.

Blandness is a Negative Quality.

P.S. Laser Axe + steel strings = music of the gods! Make it a cyber weapon version and you are set.

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Sep 22 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #25

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

Use the Public Awareness rules to track fame. This encourages PC rockers to both take many shadowruns and to be as violent, unprofessional, and anti-social as is possible on those runs, because both Reputation and Notoriety contribute to their fame and popularity as musicians.

Its actually cool, because doing all the crazy crap that the best and most famous rockers used to do actually makes you a more famous rocker. Only, it is extremely exaggerated.

It's Josie and the Pussycats meets Lou Reed and the Velvet Underground.

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.