Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rigger/Decker, How would you do it?
Lilt
post Nov 21 2003, 12:16 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,032

OK: I'd like to make a character who is a big brother decker/drone rigger. I'm pretty 1337 with the magic rules, and I've done a bit of vehicle design/modification, but I was just wondering how plausable this is.

Is it possible to control drones captain's chair style from the virtual? What about piping a matrix feed through a drone on-location? IE: drone gets in, plugs a jack into a port, and I deck-in through a high-speed link of some sort (ideally, avoiding some of the security). Incorperating battletac would be useful too.

Is it doable as a starting character?

[edit] Oh yes, my main reason for asking this is that I don't have any Matrix books and i'm wondering if it'd let me do what I was considering before I bought it[/edit]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Connor
post Nov 21 2003, 12:21 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

I don't know of anything that would keep you from doing that, except for resources as a starting character. Decking and Rigging are the two most nuyen intensive professions and when you combine them...it gets costly :-)

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 21 2003, 12:29 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

What programs exactly would I expect to need? I'd want to start-off with all the big-ticket items I could (deck, VCR, maybe a coupple of drones) and make the rest of my gear (programs ETC) somewhat standard. Then I could replace the other bits piece by piece as I do runs.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Nov 21 2003, 12:38 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Well, the only Rigger/Decker character I've played started off as just a Rigger, and then branched out later on and not really in a planned way either.

You might want to read/skim through the Matrix Newbie thread which should be listed below here a ways, it'll definately tell you more about what to expect/need for the decking side than anything else.

For the Rigger aspect, just pick up a few drones that fit whatever style of runs you're going to be going on. Having a couple of attack drones doesn't make sense if you're doing overwatch/infiltration type stuff and vise versa.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Nov 21 2003, 02:56 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

My personal preference is done like our PC: Tank. You buy enough 'parts' to build an MPCP-8 Deck, a cyberleg to hold everything, and no starting vehicles. It kinda counts on getting a few more than 50 karma under your belt, or you'll never get to finish the deck, buy/build vehicles, etc. I also buy programs ahead of time and just store them until I have a deck to put them in.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 21 2003, 06:06 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Depends on the relative power level of the critter:

vehicles are relatively cheap -- the rigger version of the volkswagon bug, for example.

The decker's gear is a half-assed radio shack deck and some programs.

Granted, he won't be running with the SEALs but it's a valid critter.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Nov 21 2003, 06:21 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

I think it's eminently doable. Naturally, your first priority has to be in resources, or you have to put 30 points in that direction from the Build Points System... but yeah, I think it's quite doable.

One of the threads you might wish to consider checking out would be the "Infiltration Challenge" that Talia Invierno posted a good while back. There was an interesting technique mentioned in there. They had an ultralight or a mini-blimp drop a pair of arachnoid walker-drones, along with a laser or microwave array to allow high-speed connectivity. (I believe there was a covert ops physad dropped in as well.) They linked the walkers to a central relay via fiberoptic cable, and sent the drones into the ventilation systems to provide mobile surveillance while the laser link was patched into the building's datasystem.

The actual thread is here.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 21 2003, 07:25 PM
Post #8

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

GM Mr. Fix-It

Hand 4/4, Speed 10, Accel. 2, Bod. 1, Armor -, Sig 9, Auto 0, Pilot 3, Sensor 1, Cargo 3, Load 170, Fuel E (40 PF), Econ .5 KM/PF
Â¥27,000
Modifications:
Laser Link (Â¥3,000)
Electronics Port for Laser Link (Â¥1,000) (1 CF)
Datajack Port (Â¥2,500)
Fiberoptic Cable (1 Meter) (Â¥1)
Revised Drone:
Hand 4/4, Speed 10, Accel. 2, Bod. 1, Armor -, Sig 9, Auto 0, Pilot 3, Sensor 1, Cargo 2, Load 169, Fuel E (40 PF), Econ .5 KM/PF
Â¥33,501
Gotta love that ¥1.

Fuchi Lightstring Laser Retransmission Drone
Chassis: Small rotorcraft (110 DPV)
Power Plant: Fuel Cell (60 DPV)
Increased Cargo Space (+1 CF) (5 DPV)
Electronics Port w/Laser Link (-1 CF), (10 DPV)
Laser Link (+Â¥3,000)
Hand. 4, Speed 60, Accel. 5, Body 1, Armor 0, Sig. 8, Pilot 1, Sensor 1, Cargo 0, Load 9, Fuel E (50 PF), Econ .2 KM/PF
Other Features: Remote-Control Interface, Rigger Adaptation, Electronics Port (1 CF, Laser Link)
Cost: ¥7,625

All you need to pipe an onsite connection offsite. Well, you need a lot of the Lightstrings. Then stick a larger drone with a fixed satellite dish on the end of the relay and you can deck from home.

~J

+Quote Post
dEdDaWg
post Nov 21 2003, 11:02 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 676

This poses a question for me: Is it possible to deck and rig at the same time? Maybe using two datajacks?

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 21 2003, 11:14 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Perfectly possible, just remember to add the ungodly TN modifiers to everything.

~J

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 21 2003, 11:27 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Hmm. Interesting, but the stuff I'm most interested in is stuff that lets you mix the two. I recall seeing something about a program that operated as a tactical computer, or one that would act as a remote control deck if you had a connection to a transmitter, did I just dream this stuff or is there something out there that can do it.

Rethinking it a bit; I want be primarilly a decker who can supply drone support (and can use drones to aid in combat or as info feeds).

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 21 2003, 11:39 PM
Post #12

Manus Celer Dei

You can do that. Rigger Protocol Emulation Modules are your friend. No jumping in, but you've got plenty of captain's-chair goodness.

~J

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 22 2003, 12:48 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Well: I'd be going for 1M nuyen. I know that my character would have a deck, a van, an RCD, a battletac computer (Probably the one on P54 of CC, I doubt I could afford the 400k cyber one), and probably VCR.

The problem is that I don't know exactly how I can mix the decking, rigging, and tactical comms. How I envision it is that link the RCD and Battletac system (presumably possible using the ). The twist I want to apply is that I'm sitting in cyberspace at the time, and can delve into the matrix when needed. I'm thinking I'd log-on either through local net access (tap a local line), a satellite link (depends on cost/concealability), or through a net port/dataline tap in the building (deployed by a drone and linked to me by a link of some sort). The problem with the last one is: What sort of link do I need to deck through it? Are there rules in the Matrix book for that?

I'll admit that the idea of a virtual command space was 'inspired' by Jane-In-A-Box. If it's not a plausable idea as it requires some 1 Million :nuyen: software/hardware bundle then I'll not bother. I could just as easily say "I leave captain's chair and connect to my deck"

[edit] I edited it, sorry[/edit]

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 22 2003, 12:55 AM
Post #14

Manus Celer Dei

It'll be expensive, but you can fit a fixed satellite dish into a van.

~J

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 22 2003, 01:03 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Ack. Just read page 55 of CC. You can't deck through a satellite link.

+Quote Post
Kurukami
post Nov 22 2003, 01:23 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,242

Actually, I'm pretty sure you can-- there's something in the Matrix sourcebook which indicates that, anyways. Unfortunately, I don't have my sourcebooks with me right now or I'd provide you with a page reference.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 22 2003, 01:33 AM
Post #17

Manus Celer Dei

QUOTE (Lilt)
Ack. Just read page 55 of CC. You can't deck through a satellite link.

No, you can't, which is why you don't use the specific piece of gear called a Satellite Link. You use different gear, outlined in Matrix.
It's the gear itself, not links to satellites, that don't work.

~J

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 22 2003, 01:55 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Ah Ok. Can you see any way I could get a drone to smuggle a dataline tap into the target building for me to access? (without using a really long fibreoptic cable...)

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 22 2003, 02:28 AM
Post #19

Manus Celer Dei

The two drones I posted above. GM Mr. Fix-It chosen for presumed ubiquity (it was detailed unmodified in SSG), otherwise I could try to rig up something new if you wanted.

~J

+Quote Post
Cain
post Nov 22 2003, 02:50 AM
Post #20

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (Lilt)
Ah Ok. Can you see any way I could get a drone to smuggle a dataline tap into the target building for me to access? (without using a really long fibreoptic cable...)

If you've got a good Electronics B/R skill, and a good Mechanical Arm skill, you can try having a drone with arms do it. However, you're better off using a drone directly as your tap-- the arachnoids are really good for this sort of thing.

Another trick is to use the minidrones as communication devices. Since they're all rigger-adapted, you can easily plug a datajack into them. Thebest part is that your communications can no longer be intercepted with normal gear; you can't watch TV with radio decryption gear, and you can't decrypt simsense channels no matter how good your radio intercept gear is.

My favorite trick, that I never got to do, was when I built my drone rigger (also named Tank) in partnership with a guy making a skillwire samurai named Dozer. I'd be back in the van with a huge pile of skillsofts. He'd have a drone plugged into a datajack. Since drones have 3 full-band simsense channels, you can send a lot of data awfully fast if you have to.

My friend was wating for the chance to use this line in a game: "Tank, I need the pilot program for a B-212 Huey." :D

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 22 2003, 03:18 AM
Post #21

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

The big question is time. Deckers are so time intensive that it isn't even funny. The key will probably be in limiting the way you spend your cash. The last time I did this (badly, I might add), about 40% of my starting cash (1,000,000) went toward cyber, about 30% toward drones/rigging and about 25% toward decking (the rest went to various other money sinks).

What you quickly find out is that if you try to "kit" a good deck, you're going to end up spending months and months doing the programming for the hardware stuff. Taking a few pieces of cyber (micro-vision) and some programming stuff (stack up the programming mods with a high memory desktop computer and a descent programming suite with the self coding adder). If the game has a lot of downtime (1 run a month, tops) then you should do fine. Otherwise, you're going to need to start compromising somewhere.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 22 2003, 12:03 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

@TKG: What exactly do you mean by time intensive? I was contemplating doing a bit of programming, but not an excessive amount unless it was absolutely necessary.

@Cain: I was considering building my own Drone-Jack. Essentially it'd be a walking network interface port. I hoped to do it on a micro-walker chassis, but I can't fit a big enough transmitter on the thing, especially if I want to ECCM the signal (I don't want dump-shock after someone jams me). It has 0.4CF. That's enough for a rating 3 (flux 1) personal comms unit which has flux 0 in the urban environment (I want to be more than 250M away). I can get the CF up-to 0.8 if I stick an external cargo pod (a big ass) on the thing. That's enough for a flux 2 comm unit. If I add another drone with a rating 2 power amp and have the two drones 'interface' then I think I could reach base (flux 4, -1 for the environment, -2 for ECCM = flux 1 or 1km). Any ideas/Comments? (directed at more than just cain)

@Kagetenshi: I probably will get some form of MR fix it style drone. Maybe even try to design my own with a better (rating 4) pilot for better B/R skills and a medium anthroform base.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 22 2003, 12:17 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

Oh yes; and how exactly do I let my drone crawl around/up surfaces like a spider? Is it built into the micro walker chassis or do I need to buy something special?

+Quote Post
Digital Heroin
post Nov 22 2003, 12:21 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,302

QUOTE (Cain @ Nov 22 2003, 02:50 AM)
My friend was wating for the chance to use this line in a game: "Tank, I need the pilot program for a  B-212 Huey."  :D

That is priceless...

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 22 2003, 02:52 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Bah. So many questions:
What do people think are the chances of decking over the RC network, using the simsense channel, without a separate tactical comms suite? Does the matrix book have a specific set of requirements for what you need to send matrix information over?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 06:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.