Reply to this topicStart new topic
> modular cyberlimbs, modular systems and grades
Negative Zero
post Sep 26 2007, 09:53 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,278

just a few things that i ran into both making and helping one of my pc's with their charecters.

1. the price of a modular adaptation is 1.1x the origonal cost of the limb. is this a constant regardless of type and grade, or lets say you had an alphaware limb that it was installed in. would the price of the modular adaptation to the limb double as per standard grade rules on top of the 1.1 multiplier?

2. the plugins seem like they are fairly universal in make seeing as even hands and feet are technically swappable, so if you had an alphaware limb, would it be necessary to have the attatchment limb be alphaware as well, or could you use any grade plug-in in the UCCP port. If so would this grade system extend to plugins that don't normally have grades, such as the hydraulic press or the drone hand?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Sep 26 2007, 02:01 PM
Post #2

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

1. It was my take that the increase in cost for the modular unit is due to the modularization. If you have an alphaware module, then you incur the cost increase for the alphaware when you buy the unit and the modularization cost as well. In other words you'd have X (cost of the unit) times 2 (for alphaware) times 1.1 (for modularization) to find the total cost.
  2. I don't recall a specific ruling here, but I'd personally probably rule that the grade of the modular cyberlimb unit has to be the same as the grade (or better) of the limb into which it's being plugged sort of like how cybereye modifications have to be at least the same grade (or better) than the cybereye package into which they're installed.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 26 2007, 02:49 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Erm, I'm pretty sure the intent of grades is that the grade multiplier comes last, not first. The cost for modular limbs are the base cost, which is ten percent more than a normal limb.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Sep 26 2007, 03:30 PM
Post #4

Technomancer

Does it matter? Multiplication is commutative over real numbers, so X * 1.1 * 2 is the same as X * 2 * 1.1. I'm not sure I'm understanding you or there's a detail I'm missing.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 26 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

It matters not only from a numbers point of view (see below) but also from a "proper application of the rules" point of view.

The cost multiplier for a modular cyberlimb is just a shorthand to save some space, and applies only to the base cost. Using your method of applying the cost at the end of the process, you wind up with an alpha-grade customized modular cyberlimb with Bod +1, Agi +1, and Str +1 costing 42,900 nuyen [((15,000 + (1,500 x 3)) x 2) x 1.1], whereas the proper cost is 42,000 nuyen [((15,000 x 1.1) + (1,500 x 3)) x 2]. In other words, your method has the cost for all the accessories and features being increased by 10% instead of just the limb itself.

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Sep 26 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #6

Technomancer

Gotcha.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Sep 26 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,646

QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein)
The cost multiplier for a modular cyberlimb is just a shorthand to save some space, and applies only to the base cost.

How do you know this? My appologies for not knowing if you are an author or just "in the know", but has this been stated officially somewhere?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 26 2007, 09:07 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

The way it's listed and common sense.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Sep 26 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

The way it's listed and common sense.

I can definitely see your interpretation, however, that it's the official interpretation is not certain.

1. Logically, the components would have to be modified to take into account the modifications from modularization or the cyberlimb's capacity should be reduced. Since the capacity is unchanged, it is logical to assume installed accessories are affected (meaningfully or not) by the modularization.

2. Cyberlimb enhancements are a subheading under cyberlimbs while cyberlimb accessories are a separate listing. This is stronger evidence that the modular multiplier affects the cost of enhancements at least.

The applicability of the cost multiplier cannot be dismissed as "common sense".

+Quote Post
Negative Zero
post Sep 26 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #10

Target

Edit: remind me to destroy my ISP

+Quote Post
Negative Zero
post Sep 26 2007, 10:23 PM
Post #11

Target

The cost multiplier for a modular cyberlimb is just a shorthand to save some space, and applies only to the base cost. Using your method of applying the cost at the end of the process, you wind up with an alpha-grade customized modular cyberlimb with Bod +1, Agi +1, and Str +1 costing 42,900 nuyen [((15,000 + (1,500 x 3)) x 2) x 1.1], whereas the proper cost is 42,000 nuyen [((15,000 x 1.1) + (1,500 x 3)) x 2]. In other words, your method has the cost for all the accessories and features being increased by 10% instead of just the limb itself.

this is about what my interpretation was as well, although thanks as well for the insight to the proper aplication of the multipliers when doing enhancements at the same time.

the guy i was hashing it out with was basically saying that you had to pay for the Modular enhancement twice over when alphawaring it (cost of the limb = 30,000 * 1.1 = 33,000, - cost of the alphaware limb meaning that the cost of the modular mod was 3,000, * 2 for the cost of alphawaring the modular system, turning what would have been 33,000 into 36,000.)

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Sep 27 2007, 02:12 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Negative Zero)
QUOTE (Doctor Funkenstein @ Sep 26 2007, 12:03 PM)
The cost multiplier for a modular cyberlimb is just a shorthand to save some space, and applies only to the base cost.  Using your method of applying the cost at the end of the process, you wind up with an alpha-grade customized modular cyberlimb with Bod +1, Agi +1, and Str +1 costing 42,900 nuyen [((15,000 + (1,500 x 3)) x 2) x 1.1], whereas the proper cost is 42,000 nuyen [((15,000 x 1.1) + (1,500 x 3)) x 2].  In other words, your method has the cost for all the accessories and features being increased by 10% instead of just the limb itself.

this is about what my interpretation was as well, although thanks as well for the insight to the proper aplication of the multipliers when doing enhancements at the same time.

the guy i was hashing it out with was basically saying that you had to pay for the Modular enhancement twice over when alphawaring it (cost of the limb = 30,000 * 1.1 = 33,000, - cost of the alphaware limb meaning that the cost of the modular mod was 3,000, * 2 for the cost of alphawaring the modular system, turning what would have been 33,000 into 36,000.)

he's still saying you double the cost of modular for alphaware.

what he's saying is that you don't apply the modular cost to the stuff you put into the cyberlimb. which is arguable either way, but i'm not about to bother with said arguing personally =D

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 27 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 9,313

Whats the difference between a Modular Limb and a Modular adaption, is adaption for the optional reference for creating you own mods as suggested in limb entry?

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 27 2007, 05:09 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

Modular Plug-In Adaptation is for adapting standard gear to use the UCCP connections of a modular limb. (And, apparently, you have to increase the cost more than once if you go by Cabral's interpretation.)

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 27 2007, 05:31 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

What are limits on what can be adapted? Sensors,lock pick arm....

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Sep 27 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

Common sense and GM approval.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 27 2007, 05:51 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

hehe Common sense can sometimes be missing at game table, thankfully I'm the one doing the "approveing".

+Quote Post
venenum
post Sep 27 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,033

I have a compeletly unrelated question on modular cyberlimbs, if i bought some extra hands, can i put those hands in place of my feet?

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Sep 27 2007, 08:06 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

QUOTE (venenum)
I have a compeletly unrelated question on modular cyberlimbs, if i bought some extra hands, can i put those hands in place of my feet?

Might be a balance issue, articulated feet maybe or bird foot mod on raptor legs. Reason for hands in place of feet?

+Quote Post
venenum
post Sep 27 2007, 09:30 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,033

QUOTE (Prime Mover)
QUOTE (venenum @ Sep 27 2007, 03:04 PM)

Might be a balance issue, articulated feet maybe or bird foot mod on raptor legs. Reason for hands in place of feet?

Monkeys are cool..? :D

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Sep 28 2007, 01:40 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Modular Plug-In Adaptation is for adapting standard gear to use the UCCP connections of a modular limb. (And, apparently, you have to increase the cost more than once if you go by Cabral's interpretation.)

Can I plug a standard grade cyberlimb into my delta grade UCCP?

+Quote Post
PlatonicPimp
post Sep 28 2007, 05:33 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 1,320

That's what grip feets is for.

I'd say no to cross-grade plugins, just because I can't think of a way to be down-compatable that wouldn't also be up-compatable, and we don't want up-compatable because it's cheaterly.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Sep 28 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

So if I can't plug a standard grade cyber arm into a delta grade UCCP, why can I plug a standard grade modular bit into it?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Sep 28 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #24

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Cabral)
So if I can't plug a standard grade cyber arm into a delta grade UCCP, why can I plug a standard grade modular bit into it?

Who says you can? If the limb is Delta (or Alpha, Beta or Zeta), any accessories must also be of that Grade.

+Quote Post
Cabral
post Sep 28 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fortune)
QUOTE (Cabral @ Sep 29 2007, 08:51 AM)

Who says you can? If the limb is Delta (or Alpha, Beta or Zeta), any accessories must also be of that Grade.

My misinterpretation of Doc Funk's comment. :D

I now realize he was saying that my interpretation says you have to apply the modular cyberlimb cost and Modular Plug-In Adaptation cost to an item before it is able to be used with a UCCP.

It does not, but I believe the modular cyberlimb price multiplier must be applied to any cyber included in a modular cyberlimb, not just the cyberlimb itself. (Much like cyber grades and cyberlimb components)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:53 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.