IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grenades exploding on impact, Canon? Suggested house rules?
RedmondLarry
post Nov 21 2003, 08:34 PM
Post #1

Senior GM

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 4,442

One of my players wants to outfit his grenade launcher with grenades that explode on impact, instead of bouncing nearby and then laying there till the next Initiative Pass or the end of the Combat Turn. I find on-impact as an option for Hand Grenades (p.282) but I don't find it for mini-grenades. Is this in any of the rule books? Do you use something like this in your game? Any house-rules you've imposed?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Nov 21 2003, 08:36 PM
Post #2

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

Nope, nothing canon about them working like that. Keep in mind that if you use them that way, the NPC's will use them that way also and this will DRASTICALLY increase the deadliness of grenades.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Nov 21 2003, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,706

The closest you get is the air-timed mini-grenades through the grenade link and smart link system.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 21 2003, 09:08 PM
Post #4

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Actually, check the BBB of SR, page 118.

Second column under "Grenade launcher minimum range"

They do not detonate if they hit anything before taveling five meters -- a safety feature in case of accidental misfire.  Disarming this safety feature requires a simple adjustment to the weapon, outside of the Combat Turn.

Which, to my mind, means that a mini-grenade can be set to detonating on impact.

Also, look at the description under minigrenades:

BBB, page 282: paragraph under "Mini-grenades"

This means that they have a minimum range and cannot be manually armed and thrown, unless the safety feature is overriden with an Electronics B/R (6) Test (base time 5 minutes).

Between these two quotes, I'd say a character could tweak his launcher and grenades to operate on an "impact-detonate" basis. Although I'd be interested in the kind of damage code a target would get from being hit with an undetonated grenade. Besides "gawddamn ouch!"M.

You might require a grenade launcher B/R skill if he wants to alter the weapon, although you can make a case for sticking with Electronics B/R for both the launcher and the ammo.

-Siege

Edited: Bloody typo

+Quote Post
godboyimmaculate
post Nov 21 2003, 09:53 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 3,273

Didnt Arnie do that in T2? He was shooting the swat guys with teargas grenades at point blank range into thier bulletproof vests.

Ouch.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 21 2003, 10:04 PM
Post #6

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Do mini-grenades even bounce? I think they always explode on impact... Altought i'm very not sure

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 21 2003, 10:12 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Back has a good point -- insofar as I know, you roll scatter for thrown and launched grenades to determine where the weapon lands.

However, scatter refers to the drift of the launched grenade and relative inaccuracy of the weapon -- it doesn't imply a bounce.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Nov 21 2003, 10:16 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

I would say you have to choose which grenade you want airburst or impact burst, maybe in 2060ish they can be both.

A list of currently availible grenades

An airburst grenade doesn't have an impact fuse, and an impact grenade doesn't have a proximity fuse. But I can see in the future both being incorporated into the same grenade.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Nov 21 2003, 10:20 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 948

Page 282 Shadowrun 3

"Hand Grenades
These grenades are small, self-contained packages of explosive, timer and detonator. They may be set to explode on impact, or any time from 2 seconds to 2 minutes."

Now, how does the above statement work with the rule that all grenades detonate in the next combat phase?

According to the above statement you can have a grenade going off after 60 combat turns. :|

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Nov 21 2003, 11:21 PM
Post #10

Manus Celer Dei

Member No.: 3,802

I think that's an abstraction of the time the grenade spends in the air for impact-detonation.

~J

Edit: and it's only 40 combat turns.

+Quote Post
Dogsoup
post Nov 21 2003, 11:28 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 806

I think that's an abstraction of the time the grenade spends in the air for impact-detonation.

What he said.

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Nov 23 2003, 01:28 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Ah, you can probably play the impact detonation grenade like a standard gunshot. That is, you roll your skill (Launch Weapons or Assault Rifles) to hit, and the opponent can roll to dodge. The only difference is that if you miss, or they dodge, then you'd have to determine scatter. I'd recommend using the normal rules for scatter, just that you couldn't adjust it with successes. For damage, I'd use the optional explosives staging rules, for which you use half of the grenade's power (rounded down) against TN4, two successes raise the damage level by one.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Nov 23 2003, 03:27 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

In the case of a dodge, I would suggest counting the number of dodge successes past the hit successes on an inverted scatter chart starting at 1 meter. This way, the dodger has a good reason to throw a lot of dice into the dodge, as it means they scatter out of the area of effect.

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Nov 23 2003, 03:32 AM
Post #14

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

I need Some of THESE :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Siege
post Nov 23 2003, 03:36 AM
Post #15

Dragon

Hah! I want to see the 40mm shotgun damage. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
moosegod
post Nov 23 2003, 05:36 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 5,818

We were playing Systems Failure and a group member had a Mark 19. He just carried it around like an HMG until we realized the weight...

+Quote Post
paladin
post Nov 23 2003, 07:39 AM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 476

QUOTE (moosegod)
We were playing Systems Failure and a group member had a Mark 19. He just carried it around like an HMG until we realized the weight...

What, it's lighter than Mother Deuce?

And I never liked the idea that a launched grenade could be thrown back. When I have the option, I like to house rule that the delay between hitting and detonating is time of flight, ie, the delay of one initiative pass or end of round before detonation still exists, the grenade just isn't at the impact spot to throw back.

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Nov 23 2003, 08:31 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Iirc , the impact fuses on 40mm (launched) granades are activated after the granade has rotated a few times (the grenade is spin-stabilized in flight). As for hitting someone with the unarmed grenage maybe 5 to 7M (stun). After the fuse is armed, an impact will set it off.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Nov 23 2003, 09:37 AM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I never bothered with that mininades going off in the next Init Pass crap. Unless we're talking about a very large, long-range arc, any nade from a GL will go off immediately, just like gunfire, in my games.

Yeah the Mk19 is lighter than the M2 (33kg vs 38kg), but that's still more than twice as heavy as the RPK HMG in the BBB.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Nov 23 2003, 12:22 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i've seen a 40mm grenade go through an inch of plywood. 5 to 7M stun seems a bit weak, to me.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Nov 23 2003, 12:34 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

In fact, there IS something canon like that - just like TinkerGnome said: Air-timed Minigrenades!!!

(pg.32 of CC)
"Grenade Link
This grenade launcher accessory uses the distance to a target determined by a range finder and programs the mini-grenade to explode in the air after it has travelled a number of meters equal to the target distance. This automatic setting reduces a launched mini-grenade's scatter from 3D6 to 1D6. All mini-grenades can be timed in this manner. Air-timed mini-grenades explode in the Combat Phase in which they are launched." :grinbig:

While not exactly exploding on impact, these are actually better since they explode at the range of the target, immediately. This mean that if you get 0 successes the grenade explodes within 6 meters from the target, with one success within 0-2 meters, and with 2 or more successes you have a dead-on hit. (Remember that you reduce scatter by 4 meters per success)

This does, however, require a launcher equipped with both a range finder/smartlink combo and a grenade link - again as TinkerGnome pointed out. :elims:

Simply resolve it like you would a regular shot, and apply the net successes to reduce scatter. If the dodger receives more successes than the attacker, either ignore them or apply them to the damage resistance test as if he had dodged against the blast.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Nov 23 2003, 12:50 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it say somewhere that if you miss with a smartlinked weapon it doesn't fire? I'm getting that I think from the description of walking autofire between targets and how smartlinks don't waste ammo. It doesn't say anything specific I don't think about normal fire, but by logical extension it seems to fit. imho anyway.

What I'm getting at is that if this holds true, with 0 successes from the smartlinked rangefinder mini-grenade launcher the weapon wouldn't fire, so the grenade therefore wouldn't scatter. But if you got a single success it would scatter by 1d6m before going off in the same phase as it is launched.

+Quote Post
Jetmaster
post Nov 23 2003, 05:33 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 2,412

IIRC the weapon does fire, but the characters aim (and the smartlinks ballistics trajectory calculations) are so off that the weapon will (typically) have no effect on the target, because it landed so far off where you intended to put it. You can get lucky with scatter, but thats rare.

Oh, and doesnt the amount of successes reduce the scatter? Thats how we've been running the gernade rules, and it seems to work fairly well.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Nov 24 2003, 10:59 PM
Post #24

Free Spirit

Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (spotlite)
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it say somewhere that if you miss with a smartlinked weapon it doesn't fire? I'm getting that I think from the description of walking autofire between targets and how smartlinks don't waste ammo. It doesn't say anything specific I don't think about normal fire, but by logical extension it seems to fit. imho anyway.

What I'm getting at is that if this holds true, with 0 successes from the smartlinked rangefinder mini-grenade launcher the weapon wouldn't fire, so the grenade therefore wouldn't scatter. But if you got a single success it would scatter by 1d6m before going off in the same phase as it is launched.

Characters miss with smartlinked weapons all the time. No successes doesn't mean the weapon doesn't fire. The reason no shots are fired between targets when walking fire is because the character has sent the signal not to fire via the smartlink.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Nov 24 2003, 11:35 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (Hand Grenades @ P282, SR3)
These grenades are small packages of explosive, timer, and detonator. They may be set to explode on impact, or at any time from 2 seconds to 2 minutes.
Emphasis mine.

As you don't otherwise wait an initiative pass for throwing weapons (knives, Shiruken, ETC) to hit, I'd say they could be set to go off immediately.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:20 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.