IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A funny thing happened last game night, Okay, it was not funny at all.
Green Eyed Monst...
post Sep 30 2007, 03:05 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,388

An odd thing happened during our group's last get together. There was about 1/2 party kill, a few fights, and NO INITIATIVE ROLL! My character almost died, until I complained that events seem to skip ahead and leave me stranded (the last I knew from last week, I was on the second IP of my Combat Turn.) This week, events seemed to skip ahead around me, without giving me a chance to act.

Oh, one of the PC deaths was a suicide, kind of intentional even. I have not played with this group long enough to know if that is what gets the player off, but this was a new PC, and supposedly his 3rd in about 4 sessions. It was his method of suicide that nearly took me with him. Somehow... 4 or 5 other characters managed to teleport ( well they were there one instant and out of harms way when the explosions went off) to safety.

Another bout of combat occurred when a PC declared he was going to make an unprovoked attack on the guy who was paying us, of course, it also happened to be before the guy managed to pay us. Again, no roll for initiative or even surprise. Even after another PC attacked this clown.

Apparently, to mimic the fog of combat and PCs not really knowing everything that is happening, as long as the players just keep shouting what their characters are doing, there is no roll for intiative. I decided to test this theory and declared an attack, result - death. Tried it again on the clown who tried to nonchalontly leave the scene, result - still no surprise or initiative roll, but the clown apparently decided to cheat and use 2 points of Edge (when he had minutes before declared the use of his last point of Edge - go figure) to avoid anything happening to him. I got in the spirit of this cheating too, and decided the spirit I asked to Influence him would spend Edge to succeed. (I really did not need to, since we were not rolling initiative, the spirit would have kept trying to carry out the service of using the Influence power, but then it would have been too obviuos the player was cheating by constantly invoking Edge.) At last the spirit succeeded in Influncing the maniac clown to enter the nearest Lone Star precinct and open fire on the inhabitants. Not really a PC death, but pretty much making the character unplayeble if it survives, but with the nice side effect of letting the maniac cause all the mayhem he wants to until the PC dies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Sep 30 2007, 03:23 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

And that's why GMs need to really be on top of the rules and administer the game in a systematic manner. Otherwise it essentially becomes some weird exercise in collaborative postmodern poetry.

+Quote Post
coolgrafix
post Sep 30 2007, 04:28 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,116

Run, don't walk, to another group.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Sep 30 2007, 05:04 AM
Post #4

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

I think I would have commited suicide too. Any excuse to get out.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Sep 30 2007, 05:08 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

Shadowrun, but without all the usual rules, teleporting people, oh wait, I got it!

You walked in on a LARP of the Shadowrun PC/Xbox game!

:eek: :D :rotfl: :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Sep 30 2007, 07:04 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin)
And that's why GMs need to really be on top of the rules and administer the game in a systematic manner. Otherwise it essentially becomes some weird exercise in collaborative postmodern poetry.

I'm with WR except I would not use "collaborative" if it's "loudest player gets most actions".

I have gotten support from my gaming group by encouraging "when your turn comes up, choose an action with no more discussion or reflection than what you use when you're playing volleyball and the ball comes at you." That's totally compatible with having the GM use the RAW to sort out what happens in what order, while keeping it fast-moving and feeling hectic and high-pressure, and resulting in a mental image of actions in rapid succesion. We discourage counting out what your dice pools would be before choosing your action, or counting squares on the map to make sure you can buy enough hits to jump the chasm... snap decision: jump, or not? As long as we're all willing to play characters who occasionally make mistakes, it's OK.

+Quote Post
Shrike30
post Sep 30 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 98

If that's what works for that group, I'm glad they enjoy playing. It sounds like it really does not work for you... I'd act accordingly, and find a different group.

+Quote Post
apollo124
post Oct 2 2007, 04:08 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,246

If you tell a joke in a forest and no one laughs, was it really a joke?

I know my mundie family doesn't get my sense of humor, but I actually hoped someone on DS would.

:(

+Quote Post
Kerris
post Oct 2 2007, 04:32 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,360

I got it. It just wasn't all that funny. Sorry.

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Oct 2 2007, 04:38 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (apollo124)
If you tell a joke in a forest and no one laughs, was it really a joke?

I know my mundie family doesn't get my sense of humor, but I actually hoped someone on DS would.

:(

Do you really want a thread on a message board filled up with one-word posts that just say "lol"? Just because nobody wanted to make a post just to say that they thought that was funny it doesn't mean that literally nobody thought it was funny.

I dunno. The joke was okay. Alone, the humor level was not very high, but I feel that the humor level was bolstered by the joke being at the expense of a community villian, i.e. SR MS edition. Jokes pointed at a common adversary recieve a significant bonus to community reception. So even though it was a medium-low quality snap shot I feel as though the factor of "directed at community villian" raised the caliber of the joke to "medium high".

So congratulations on your "medium high" joke.

+Quote Post
tisoz
post Oct 2 2007, 05:11 AM
Post #11

Free Spirit

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,920

QUOTE (coolgrafix)
Run, don't walk, to another group.

You make it sound like there is another Shadowrun game going on next door. If I were so lucky...

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Oct 2 2007, 12:39 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

QUOTE (tisoz)
You make it sound like there is another Shadowrun game going on next door. If I were so lucky...

I sympathize, but a good D&D group is more fun than a crappy SR4 group.

+Quote Post
Gort
post Oct 3 2007, 04:01 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,415

Yeah, this group just sounds terrible. Sever.

+Quote Post
Green Eyed Monst...
post Oct 10 2007, 03:47 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

It looks like the collective wisdom of Dumpshock was correct. I should have ran as far and as fast from that group as possible.

Update: Initiative rolled a total of two times, by a total of 3 people (2*1, 1*1), one unconscious PC, one PC with 9P and 6S, one PC with 5P, one PC (the hot girl in the group from the way everyone drools) who was lightly wounded but healed, one PC with 7P. This is the most damage any group I've been in has taken, and we all got to roll initiative and probably several times. Oh yes, a F6 spirit just popped. Now you see it, now it's gone.

I called BS on the spirit as it was mine. I was unconscious and into Physical overflow the very next roll (I took 5 boxes of stun summoning, so it's not like the spirit was something I just got for free.) I asked how the spirit got killed, did it suicide itself on the ward?

"No. It was sustaining powers and a spell so it only had 2 dice to roll."

:proof:

I say BS. The spirit needed to get popped for our plan to fail, so he handwaved it away.

+Quote Post
klinktastic
post Oct 10 2007, 03:58 AM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 12,442

You could GM your group, as your current GM is has the negative quality incompency: GMing.

+Quote Post
Green Eyed Monst...
post Oct 10 2007, 04:41 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

I have volunteered to do so, but everyone but me and another guy are friends, so they want to play together. I think the majority of them also work together. And they are all new to SR except supposedly the GM, but he is new to SR4.

Last week, with the new GM, they actually asked me if I would leave after more new people showed up claiming this as their only free night to play. I pointed out that just because I could play at other times didn't matter if there was no game to play. Maybe they are giving me a hint?

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Oct 10 2007, 04:43 AM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

I'd have left!

+Quote Post
deek
post Oct 10 2007, 12:48 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 8,814

QUOTE (Green Eyed Monster)
I have volunteered to do so, but everyone but me and another guy are friends, so they want to play together. I think the majority of them also work together. And they are all new to SR except supposedly the GM, but he is new to SR4.

Last week, with the new GM, they actually asked me if I would leave after more new people showed up claiming this as their only free night to play. I pointed out that just because I could play at other times didn't matter if there was no game to play. Maybe they are giving me a hint?

By "asking you if you would leave" was that wanting you to leave because the group would get to big, or asking because they thought you might not want to play with a bunch of people you didn't know?

I joined a group a year or so ago, where I was good friend with one guy, new they other guy from high school (but hadn't seen him in years) and the rest were completely unknown, but worked with my friend.

It took a few sessions, but now we are all friends and still playing. I would think that if that didn't happen, then I really wouldn't have stuck around, and I think if we had a newcomer that only one guy knew, and that was the only time we ever talked to him, we probably wouldn't want him to hang around.

+Quote Post
Green Eyed Monst...
post Oct 11 2007, 02:43 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Supposedly to keep the group from getting too big. They asked a guy that had no character (PC kill the previous session) to leave, and he reluctantly did. He was one of the people that said they could game another day.

Oddly enough though, this last session, they were helping some guy that I have never seen before make a character, evidently to play in this same game. There were 2 player absences, but it isn't likely they are quitting.

I think I'll see about getting another game going this Saturday. Now that the one guy was forced out, maybe he'll be more committed to another game and there was a couple other tentative players. Bad part is I'd wind up GMing instead of playing, but maybe the way I question some GM fiat actions, that is for the best.

+Quote Post
Orient
post Oct 11 2007, 03:44 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,553

I take it you don't have a huge number of potential Shadowrun groups to choose from in your area..?

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Oct 11 2007, 03:53 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

Yeah, many a group has been pulled from the ashes of another group. Depending on how many people are getting kicked out/asked to leave/fed up and so on, I'd pick another night and start another group. Maybe start a revolving GM setup with you running the first few sessions and the other players running something when they feel ready. Shadowrun in particular works well with that sort of episodic cycle.

+Quote Post
Green Eyed Monst...
post Oct 17 2007, 01:36 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Tonight, 5 of the people who wanted to play so badly failed to make it to the game. One showed up, said it wasn't fun anymore and left, another called that it wasn't worth the gas money to drive in, a third called while we were waiting, and the otheer 2 just blew us off.

Still, 3 PCs and a GM, but the GM decided he didn't want to run it for just us. He did try to explain how stupid my PC acted. It sounded like a C.L.U.E. File where the GM leaves out some pertinent information and wonders how the players could be so stupid.

Example of BS - Lone Star and LS HTR arrive at the scene within 2 initiative passes. Yes, passes. Magical security routine that was supposedly observable, but for some reason we failed to notice. Astral Stealth apparently only works for NPCs.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Oct 17 2007, 02:53 PM
Post #23

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

QUOTE (Green Eyed Monster)
Tonight, 5 of the people who wanted to play so badly failed to make it to the game. One showed up, said it wasn't fun anymore and left, another called that it wasn't worth the gas money to drive in, a third called while we were waiting, and the otheer 2 just blew us off.

Wow. Just...wow. The game is that bad. It's not worth the gas money? I mean, I know gas is expensive, but damn.

I applaud your ability to not be completely embittered to the hobby by this awful, awful GM. I sympathize with the issue of having few nearby gamers, but at this point you either have to hand-pick a workable group out of this mess, or find a group online.

At least you've got a great gaming story which will forever make your gaming buddies go "Auuugh" and wince in pain and curl up in a fetal position every time they hear about your awful old group. ;)

+Quote Post
Ed_209a
post Oct 17 2007, 03:44 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,128

I had a similar situation a few years ago. I ended up walking out on a group I had gamed with for years, because a few new people were disruptive and I was the only one who had a problem with it.

I had a big RPG dry spell (glad I had MMORPGS), but I am now in two MUCH better games.

If someone asks you to leave their steaming pile of um, stuff, for any or no reason, it might not be so bad an idea to take them up on it.

Nothing is worth putting up with a game that frustrates you.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.