Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Paracritter silly time., Inspired by the Artifacts thread
Ophis
post Sep 30 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #1

Mystery Archaeologist

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,760

Okay, here is a home for silly critters and other animal related weirdness...

Two of my own

Rodent of Unusual Size (Princess Bride)

Thought to be a relation of the devil rat, this large creature could also be peculiar SURGEd human... Probably the least dangerous para-rat known, however they tend to live in very dangerous environments favoring marshy areas with regular outlets of natural gas and quicksand.

Rasberry Dogs

the canine analogue to the Blackberry Cat. It seems to possess an ability to always be blamed for any "biological aroma" arising from people within sight of it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zhan Shi
post Sep 30 2007, 04:41 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,615

Graboids

These large, slug-like creatures only enjoy eating people who live in shithole small towns in the deserts of Nevada.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Sep 30 2007, 08:04 PM
Post #3

Bushido Cowgirl

From: On the Double K Ranch a half day's ride out of Phlogiston Flats
Member No.: 7,490

...the Alien: Aliens, Aliens II (the only two worth watching)

...one nasty horrific nearly unstoppable critter. Apparently can survive in a vacuum (as it did when it attempts to crawl back into the Nostotmo's shuttle boat via the engines at theend of the fist film). Definitely immune to "normal" weapons heck even the exhaust of the shuttle engines didn't destroy it.

...and how can we ignore Space Herpes? Ice Pirates

...imagine ZO getting infested with these nearly unstoppable critters. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Whipstitch
post Sep 30 2007, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 10,386

I'd lean more towards giving Aliens hardened armor and immunity to enviromental effects, personally. The space marines fared alright against the aliens once they threw caution into the wind and started using the Alien universe equivalent of Ex-Ex ammo. Definitely nasty, freakish buggers though, and I'd definitely consider them to have multiple initiative passes and a ridiculous infiltration pool.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Oct 1 2007, 12:11 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

Waldo

this critter has a reversed chameleon power: everywhere it goes, the surrounding terrain starts to look more like it. also, it has the influence power, which it can only use to compel you to look for it.

+Quote Post
Ophis
post Oct 1 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #6

Mystery Archaeologist

Member No.: 7,760

QUOTE (Kyoto Kid)

...and how can we ignore Space Herpes? Ice Pirates

Ah Ice Pirates, easily the worst film I've ever seen half of, then screamed and attempted to tear my own eyes oout before my friends switched it off....

Um on topic...

Tigger

An awakened cat with lots of great leap.

+Quote Post
Riley37
post Oct 1 2007, 03:41 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 13,319

Calvin is also an awakened great cat, and only visible to dual-natured and astrally perceiving entities. Capable of springing from ambush with a Knockdown attack, specialization in attacking victims as they cross doorways.

Getting the obligatory Holy Grail monster out of the way: the Vorpal Rabbit. 4 IPs and specialization in called shot vs neck.

Going as classic as I can, how about King Kong? I haven't yet seen much in SR4 about handling scale range besides the differences between trolls and other metahumans; if trolls get +1 Reach, then I imagine dragons get more. Anyways, the relevant aspect is that a business brings KK into a major city for purposes of entertainment revenue. Godzilla has sometimes been played for ecology and/or technology ethics (awakened and/or empowered by nuclear energy, and the scientist's dilemma in the original movie).

There have been writeups of Aliens in game terms since shortly after the first movie; as for defenses, there's a scene in "Aliens" in which a soldier blasts an alien with a shotgun, and anything you can kill with a shotgun lacks hardened armor. We don't know how *long* they can survive vacuum, either (and AFAIK we mercifully don't yet have hard evidence about humans on that topic; fictional accounts vary greatly). Also, we've mostly seen it acting against humans who were divided among themselves, one way or another. A womp rat coulda killed the crew of the Nostromo as long as one of the crew was secretly working towards that goal. The corrosive blood is a nasty factor.

Write-ups of Terminator vary, especially the "liquid metal" ones. The T-X would have lotsa hacking capacities, and its "nanobots" allow some control of non-Matrix-connected devices. The role of Cyberdyne Corp is classic cyberpunk, and so is John Connor going "off the grid". (The role of a gynoid in hottie form is also not unknown in cyberpunk. "Are you Katherine Brewster? *licks finger* No." Ah, bad girls.)

+Quote Post
Lagomorph
post Oct 1 2007, 05:19 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,832

Virtual Tribbles (Star Trek)
Virtual Tribbles is a rating 1 self replicating virus/agent, perhaps the actual cause of Crash 2.0.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 1 2007, 05:32 PM
Post #9

Bushido Cowgirl

QUOTE (Riley37)
Calvin is also an awakened great cat, and only visible to dual-natured and astrally perceiving entities. Capable of springing from ambush with a Knockdown attack, specialization in attacking victims as they cross doorways.

...umm, Hobbes is the stuffed tiger, Calvin is the boy, if this is what I think you are referencing.

+Quote Post
BookWyrm
post Oct 1 2007, 05:41 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 2,607

Corbormites (Star Trek)
Corbormites act as Star Trek's version of Gremlins; sometimes causing critial sytems to fail at the most inopportune times. Equal to the Tribbles virus.

+Quote Post
Kronk2
post Oct 1 2007, 06:18 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,245

I would tend to think that Hobbes is a free spirit inhabiting a stuffed toy.

+Quote Post
Kyoto Kid
post Oct 1 2007, 06:56 PM
Post #12

Bushido Cowgirl

...I would agree with that observation.

+Quote Post
Grinder
post Oct 1 2007, 09:03 PM
Post #13

Great, I'm a Dragon...

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 5,698

Who doesn't? :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Fix-it
post Oct 1 2007, 09:42 PM
Post #14

Creating a god with his own hands

Member No.: 3,364

Plot Device Mouse (Too many references to count)

This small, furry para creature cannot be harmed, captured (for any long length of time), or displaced from where it is found. Any attempts to harm/capture/displace it will fail, humorously or catastrophically. Persons who attempt to do any of these things will continue trying, becoming an extremely unhealthy obsession.

+Quote Post
gknoy
post Oct 1 2007, 10:07 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,835

QUOTE (Riley37)
there's a scene in "Aliens" in which a soldier blasts an alien with a shotgun, and anything you can kill with a shotgun lacks hardened armor.

Perhaps merely modeling them as having ballistic/impact armor, and either a larger damage meter or an ability to ignore damage penalties (similar to pain resistance or damage compensators)? They still seemed to get blown apart by weapons-fire, it's just that they had very little sense of self-preservation and a tendency to keep trying to kill you even after being mortally wounded.

Trolls (with large Body attributes) tend to resist damage. The aliens seemed fragile by comparison. I'd probably only give them a body of ~4 (though with absurd initiative, agility, and stength), and some levels of armoring (a la orthoskin). So, you might not hurt them with a light pistol, but a heavy would likely be fairly effective, and automatic weapons fire would likely still do some significant damage. (Though ... with enough penalty-ignoring, you'd have to put a fair bit more lead into them before *noticing* the effects.)

+Quote Post
Kingmaker
post Oct 1 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 11,924

Kuroneko (Trigun)
A paranormal black cat of Japanese origin, a kuroneko will attach itself to an individual, appearing randomly in the vicinity the individual, often in unusual ways (like falling out of the sky onto to the character's head). If else notices the Kuroneko at all, they will momentarily confuse it with the character. After being spotted the kuroneko will utter a single nyaa before disappearing.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:37 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.